Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loeb/Kelly Run

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Jeez this thread. No, continuity had gone through a completely different shift by then.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Jeez this thread. No, continuity had gone through a completely different shift by then.
    Wow! Thanks, Ku! Money saved!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I didn't read too much of Kelly's run but I do know Action 775 well. I thought it was a meandering run for the most part but I loved the Ed McGuiness artwork. I think the Batman Superman book was really good though and well worth reading. I like how Loeb made Batman and Superman characters that actually like each other. I also really like the art that followed McGuiness on that book. I think it was Michael Turner.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I didn't read too much of Kelly's run but I do know Action 775 well. I thought it was a meandering run for the most part but I loved the Ed McGuiness artwork. I think the Batman Superman book was really good though and well worth reading. I like how Loeb made Batman and Superman characters that actually like each other. I also really like the art that followed McGuiness on that book. I think it was Michael Turner.
    Yep,the late great Michael Turner. Passed away far too young from cancer. I think some of his last work was on that book.

To Loeb's credit,he fought to return Superman and Batman to their old status as the world's finest team and actual friends.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Seems like there was more actual discussion back in ye oden days and less whining lol. Might go through the old threads to see what people thought of stuff as it was happening.

Did the whole Batman as Superman enemy thing start with Frank Miller?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I remember when Michael Turner died! I think there were other Batman Superman battles but they were chums. I think Mark Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme might have beat Miller to the punch.

Extraordinary Member

In hindsight, I think the era worked a bit better than others because you had Loeb being more old fashioned while Kelly was being more new school. There was something for Silver Age fans and for Post-Crisis fans.

...I greatly preferred Kelly’s work on the main Superman books, but I liked Loeb’s Batman and Superman book.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    DKR was absolutely something that defined the relationship between the two, but I wouldn’t say it made them enemies. Moreso it solidified that there’s a rivalry aspect to the relationship and there are some deep seated differences between the two that cause them to clash. Pre Crisis the two were close as brothers, and that aspect is still in play.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

They were rivals sometimes, but never outright hated each other outside of a story where it was supposed to come across as wrong. Bruce and Clark disliking each other wholecloth came from Miller, far as I can gather.

Don't get me started on DKR. I've posted my problems with it before and that's a wall of text nobody needs.

Thanks, guys! I am grabbing trades of this era soon. Have Loeb or Kelly ever done a stint on the League?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Have Loeb or Kelly ever done a stint on the League?
    Joe Kelly had a long (and mostly good) run on JLA post-Mark Waid in the early 00's. It's all been collected across various trades.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thanks, guys! I am grabbing trades of this era soon. Have Loeb or Kelly ever done a stint on the League?
    Kelly’s run on JLA was fantastic, definitely check that out.

I thought they did a good job of showcasing Superman’s world. Lex was powerful and menacing, the supporting characters like Steel and Natasha Irons were showcased well, and a lot of Superman’s classic villains had some good appearances. I just felt their actual portrayal of Superman himself was rather boring. Which is a cardinal sin for a Superman writer as that has been a label the character has been unjustly saddled with for years. Overall the stories were pretty good. Some interesting concepts that didn’t always land.

It’s a bit opposite of the Bendis run in my opinion. I’ve really enjoyed his voice for Superman. He’s strong but not arrogant, witty but not overly comedic, and altruistic but he doesn’t always have to remind the reader that he’s the symbol of hope. It’s Bendis’ stories that have been weak or average at best.

My opinion of the run has definitely changed from just 6 years ago. I think its aged better, if anything, and I personally appreciate it more than I did in the past.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El