Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Parker, Shaner on Why the Hanna-Barbera Wheel Doesn't Need Reinventing in DC's "Future Quest"

Jeff Parker & Evan Shaner explain to CBR why Jonny Quest and Space Ghost's team up at DC Comics and tease the return of a beloved character.

Full article here.

Out of the four new Hanna-Barbera books this is the only one that I am really interested in. The other three seem kind of meh.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaidswrath View Post
    Out of the four new Hanna-Barbera books this is the only one that I am really interested in. The other three seem kind of meh.
    Totally agree..this is actually the only one that is trying to stay faithful to the originals. My one and only question at this point...and it's in no way a deal breaker...but are they going to use the Space Ghost that DC did a few years back in that amazing origin story they did? That was actually, if memory serves, supposed to lead into his introduction into the DCU. Never happened. Closest to that was Space Ghost teaming up with Batman on the Brave and Bold Cartoon.

Amazing Member Grayskull Guardian's Avatar

I third that. I have no desire to read the other 3 books.

I also don't think the assessment of the interviewer about those who dislike BMvSM to want the same story told over & over is fair. They want the characters to somewhat resemble the way the characters have been portrayed for decades. To be honest, the only thing new about the movie's incoherent plot was that The Dark Knight Returns was being told at the same time as the first Doomsday story. That isn't new. That's just lazy & messy.
    Last edited by Grayskull Guardian; 04-12-2016 at 12:29 PM.

BANNED

To me, Hanna-Barbera is anything the company created between Ruff and Reddy in 1957 and Scooby Doo in 1969.

All-New Member

I put it in my pull list the moment I saw it listed. Wish I had known about the Space Ghost variant tho, it's sweet.

While I very much enjoyed Space Ghost and the Herculoids as a kid, Jonny Quest always won it for me. It was Sci Fi, it was mystery, it was horror - in a freakin cartoon from the 1960's that lasted all of one season (albeit one that ran in prime time). And that music! If they can capture some of that feeling on the drawn page, I'm gonna enjoy this ride.

Now when are we getting Thundarr?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Man, I wish Parker was doing a straight up SUPERMAN book.

He gets it. You don't always need to tear things asunder to make them interesting.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Already have this series added to my pull list. And this article just proves I made the right choice.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Astonishing Member

This will be fun, and I LOVE Doc. A great artist, great guy. Can't wait!

BANNED

Now this is one comic I cannot wait to get. I cannot wait to see them trying to tie it all up together into one good story.

Wow, The Hanna-Barbera Library is truly an untapped, overloooked and often Underestimated property that DC and WB had for many years now and never truly tried anything with it outside live action films, related Scooby-doo comics and possible mini-series.

This is going to truly be a worth waiting for comic.

Cool. Even though I'm not familiar with some of these characters I always loved crossovers and this looks a lot of fun. I liked Parker's work on Flash Gordon so looking forward to this.
    Check out www.hardcoalstudios.com for webcomics, comics, blogs, and my novella, Frankenstein: The Illuminatus Complex.

Spectacular Member

I should really be looking forward to this comic as it seems the best of the forthcoming Hanna-Barbera titles and especially as it includes my all-time favourites The Impossibles, (who, along with several other HB cartoons, have their 50th anniversary this year)!!!!! but.........I can't help feeling they don't really fit with the other characters here, (although I can certainly see how their powers would be useful in the story)! The original cartoon, had a more light-hearted feel than the others, so I think having the other characters in the main story and a short with The Impossibles in pretty much their original style in each issue as lighter relief would have worked better. I'm also wondering, as are others - if the girl in blue shown with The Impossibles on a couple of variant covers is a new team member? I really would not like that - I feel it would take attention from the original members, (and they didn'y get enough to start with as the do-gooder pressure groups got it taken off air due to saying it was "too violent"......I must have missed something, I don't remember anyone ending up in intensive care)!! and this addition - if that's the case - would spoil the interaction between the others. If I am wrong and I do end up liking their inclusion here, it will be a nice addition to my collection of Impossibles merchandise, (which is very small as there is very little around), but the jury is out for me for now........ And, it's mentioned here that there was no chance Space Ghost would be portrayed without his cape - so why has Multi Man's cape been omitted?

BANNED

how do you handle the impossibles without reventing them? they were basically like the beetles when not being super heroes and just playing gigs at shows

even had civilian identities drenched in the 60's

Spectacular Member

Just don't think they need "re-inventing" - as to the civilian looks, just updating the stage outfits a bit would suffice, although I get the impression this story includes time travel so they might be brought from the past. And, as the song goes; "If it don't fit, don't force it" - I do think a separate short story featuring them would have been a good idea.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Man, I wish Parker was doing a straight up SUPERMAN book.

He gets it. You don't always need to tear things asunder to make them interesting.
    For sure that, but also that you can't be too reverent.

I'll probably still look at the other books but I expect this one to be head and shoulders above a lot of stuff out there.