Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Affleck is a hack. He's co-produced/directed one good film (Argo was overrated, imo) and he's elevated to "good director?" Zack Snyder was considered a good director after 300 and Dawn of the Dead but look at the mess afterwards. DC throwing the next Batman film into Affleck's hands shows how desperate they've become.

Those who mentioned Selina as being a key figure in the future of Batman are probably not far off. The female superhero sub genre has all but been unexplored, neglected or badly represented by both big 2. Wonder Woman must be a success and the Justice League with it. If Margot Robbie is embraced as Harley, she may figure as well. What would follow are projects focused around a female centric DCEU including Barbara Gordon, Harley Quinzel and Helena. This is the corner that DC backed themselves into and the only possible way they can hope to compete with the monolith of the MCU .

All-New Member

If they don't want the same negative reception that BvS got than they should listen to the fans and put the BatFam into the movies. It's going to be a trilogy, they have enough room and enough time in the backstory to introduce a lot of people.

A Under the Red Hood movie.
    A Hush movie combining Hush 2.0 aka Dick Grayson Clone.
    Already having Oracle as a supporting character. A new Batgirl in the making.
    Have Tim Drake be a youngster stalking the streets with his camera at night in the first movie. The second will have a subplot about him fighting his way into becoming a vigilante and in the third he'll be someone who fully realized his potential, setting up a Young Justice movie.
    If they manage to introduce Dick Grayson in a good way, they could go the "Batman dies in the fight against Darkseid" route and have Dick take over, either making a movie about "Batman and Robin" with Damian, "The Black Mirrior", or an adaptation of Batman and Robin Eternal with Mother as the villain and introducing Cass.

They have so much story potential with the whole family and they should use. And maybe it's just me, but I have good feeling that the fans will get what they want as long they are adamant enough about it.
    DC Comics: Grayson, Batman and Robin Eternal, Robin Son of Batman, Starfire, We Are Robin, Earth 2 Society, Superman: Lois and Clark, Cyborg, Midnighter, Titans Hunt

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Yeah, clearly the DCEU is only to be saved if it embraces the Batfamily or at least Dick/ Jason/ Tim (because Hush, Batman&Robin Eternal and UTRH are the most badass tales out there) and fires Snyder immediately. Sarcasm!
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-14-2016 at 08:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    Affleck is a hack. He's co-produced/directed one good film (Argo was overrated, imo) and he's elevated to "good director?" Zack Snyder was considered a good director after 300 and Dawn of the Dead but look at the mess afterwards. DC throwing the next Batman film into Affleck's hands shows how desperate they've become.
    I think you`re a bit full of it, honestly. Affleck has directed and written/co written, Gone baby Gone, In Town and Argo and won an Oscar for best original story.

Snyder is great visually but all his major films are directly lifted from somewhere else, sometimes panel by panel or shot by shot. The only original content Snyder has ever done is Sucker Punch. If you want to compare both storytelling abilities, I think it`s a battle Snyder is losing. What`s more, those movies that "hack" had a direct hand in creative endevour? They were kind of better received than a good deal of Snyder`s outpost.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 04-14-2016 at 04:11 AM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I'm not sure why people keep discussing adaptations - evidently Affleck had a "cool Batman idea" and wrote his own script. Sounds like new material to me. As for anyone calling him a hack, Good Will Hunting is right up there in the great category, but I would encourage you to see The Town if you haven't already done so. If he brings half the taught action to Batman as is in that movie then all will be ok

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I'm not sure why people keep discussing adaptations - evidently Affleck had a "cool Batman idea" and wrote his own script. Sounds like new material to me. As for anyone calling him a hack, Good Will Hunting is right up there in the great category, but I would encourage you to see The Town if you haven't already done so. If he brings half the taught action to Batman as is in that movie then all will be ok
    There will obviously be influences, maybe some writer or some story. As for Affleck I'm not fully convinced he's capable of doing a film like this and deep down he probably feels so well, which is why he has been hesitant to commit and kept gushing about how Zack taught him a lot about how to direct movies like this only for BvS to tank critically. He has shown a remarkable inability to recognize the quality of the material he's been given throughout his career. Remember folks Chris Terrio also won an Oscar for Afflecks Argo no less and so did Akiva Goldman of Batman and Robin fame, Singer and Campbell were also good directors.
    I don't think Affleck can deliver a blockbuster crowd pleaser and even Argo and Town have a sense of weariness which a blockbuster superhero flick should not have, even Nolan's dark movies were energetic and electric which is the first thing super hero movies should strive towards.
    WB should look towards guys like Tim Miller for Batman, Aquaman though has a good director in James Wan so that's a win atleast.
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 04-14-2016 at 07:27 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I think Affleck has far more credit (bad stuff as well) to his name than James Wan. Wan's only good movies are the Kevin Bacon revenge flick and The Conjuring which are both inferior to GoneBabyGone and The Town imho. Also fans hate Snyder for being too "dark" and now they are looking forward to Wan's Aquaman??? I've read Live by Night and am looking forward to it being adapted by Affleck, hoping he brings some of that LBN/ Boardwalk Empire / mobster stuff with him when he takes on Batman.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-14-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Yeah, clearly the DCEU is only to be saved if it embraces the Batfamily or at least Dick/ Jason/ Tim (because Hush, Batman&Robin Eternal and UTRH are the most badass tales out there) and fires Snyder immediately.
    Yeah, what the hell is with this mentality that the Batfamily is the only route they can go with this? Gimme a break. Batman, especially when he's matched up against the Joker, is more than enough to put butts in seats. There's a limitless number of stories and interpretations you can tell with just those two characters, never mind other villains like the Riddler, Freeze and Two-Face; the well isn't so dry that we need to bring in Tim and Jason to freshen things up.

Keep in mind that I would LOVE to see Dick and Barbara, but a full blown Batfamily explosion makes little sense considering the place this Batman is in his life. And it's not necessary to get the GA interested.

Affleck is a talented writer and director, and I think he's more than capable of coming up with his own Batman story. He doesn't need to draw inspiration from some fairly mediocre (IMO) recent stories. Considering his age range, I'm not sure if he'd even be interested in the recent stuff. Frank Miller and the Bronze Age are probably more his bag, not Red Hood or the Court of Owls.

I'll watch it if there's a Cassandra Cain cameo.

BANNED

I'm not sure why people keep discussing adaptations - evidently Affleck had a "cool Batman idea" and wrote his own script.
    It`s equally quite evident that not being a comic writer or Batman being his own creation, he will have to be inspired by some especific stories to shape his own.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, what the hell is with this mentality that the Batfamily is the only route they can go with this? Gimme a break. Batman, especially when he's matched up against the Joker, is more than enough to put butts in seats.
    It`s not the only route, but it`s the one that would expand things further, especially given the age range of this Batman. We already saw Batman vs Joker before so I`m hoping for a different angle, even if those two are at the front of the show.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 04-14-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    It`s equally quite evident that not being a comic writer or Batman being his own creation, he will have to be inspired by some especific stories to shape his own.

It`s not the only route, but it`s the one that would expand things further, especially given the age range of this Batman. We already saw Batman vs Joker before so I`m hoping for a different angle, even if those two are at the front of the show.
    I think he can be inspired by certain stories to shape his own without directly adapting any of them. Most episodes of B:TAS and the Burton films were original stories, and the first two Nolan films only borrowed some superficial elements from Year One and the Long Halloween and were largely original creations as well. And even if he did directly adapt some comics, why is everyone pointing to recent stuff? Why not some Golden Age stories, or some Englehart/Rogers, or Arkham Asylum?

I don't think the Batfamily is the only route. Yes the Joker has already been on screen twice, but both of those takes were very different, and this one will likely be as well. That's what makes those two such strong and popular characters. There's no limit to what you can do with them. Telling a redemption story with this Batman, in light of his change of heart at the end of BvS, will be something different and they don't necessarily need the Batfamily to tell it.

Ultimate Member

Nolan took inspiration from The Man Who Falls, Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Dark Knight Returns, No Man's Land, AND Knightfall. But he still crafted his own story, and incorporated some of the elements/themes from those stories into his own.

I wouldn't be surprised if Affleck ends up doing something similar. Some people still cannot get past Affleck from back in the late 90's/Early 00's. Guys, Gigli and Daredevil were a long time ago, his track record in more recent years, especially as a writer/director, has been MUCH better.

Also it seems likely that Geoff Johns will have an input on this movie, more so than previous DC movies.

If he was involved during the writing process I could see him supplying Affleck with some solid reading material.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Also it seems likely that Geoff Johns will have an input on this movie, more so than previous DC movies.

If he was involved during the writing process I could see him supplying Affleck with some solid reading material.
    Yeah, like the Earth One novels and maybe some grim and gritty 80's stories .

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Batman already starts to change after he nearly kills a couple of good people (Superman and by extension Martha) by acting like a douche. He's already returning back from the grimness into more of what people generally know him as, as evidenced by the men are still good speech. I know people hate it when DC characters have anything resembling inner conflict that doesn't conclude with them being propped up against the opposing side but I'd be pretty ticked off if nothing from BvS was followed up. Specifically how Batman's going to deal with Joker now that he's crossed the line. That prospect alone makes addressing his actions in BvS an interesting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    Right. Batman could have branded Lex at the end of BvS, but held back. Also, I'm not sure if Suicide Squad takes place after BvS or not, but the machine guns have been removed from Batmobile -- so that's something.

Still, I wouldn't mind a Bat-movie that takes place before BvS, as long as it isn't too early in Batman's career. We've had too many of those already -- I want to see a Batman that already has an existing rogues gallery.
    Yup, his change at the end is clear, but too many people clearly didn't pay attention.

Also, I'm guessing that SS takes place a decent time before BvS; maybe like 3-5 years. There's not guns on the Batmobile, because he's still somewhat hopeful; which can be seen in how he saves Harley.

Personally, I want these Batman movies to be like the Bond franchise, and the series be called The Batman, but with the subtitles being the movie titles (a la, Skyfall, Spectre, etc). I'd want the first 4 movies to tell four connected stories, with Jason Todd kinda playing in the background, and tearing down Batman. BvS clearly hinted towards UtH, but I want that to be built up to.

1) Court of Owls. Jason is a one of the more prominent speaking members of the Court, but we don't know it's him, because he's got an alias. After Batman, Nightwing, and Batgirl defeats their Talons, and foils their plans to assassinate every important figure in the city, leaving the Court relatively unprotected, Jason is shown to slaughter the Court, and take their fortune, for himself. I'd put the scene with Bruce in the maze in the movie, too.

2) Hush. Jason's character, whom we still don't know is Jason, is shown to have given Thomas Elliot Batman's identity. In this movie, I'd introduce Catwoman (who may, or may not, be Selina), Riddler (I really wish Eisenberg was Nygma, because he'd make for an awesome Riddler...hell, his Lex was Riddler), Clayface, a tragic figure whom Hush is manipulating, and Deathstroke (this just for an epic fight scene, and he's just here for a job, as Hush would've hired him to keep Batman busy), whose intro is a tease to what to come from him in the future of the DCEU. Catwoman, and Alfred would play into Hush's plans.

3) Under the Hood. The character we've been seeing is revealed to have been Jason in the third act. This Jason is more, or less, Bruce's physical equal, as Bruce is older (more the calculating, methodical brute, while Nightwing is the fast, flexible, unpredictable acrobat), and him, and Bruce have a savage fight, with gadgets, weapons, and wrestling moves (I'd love to see a powerbomb, or a German suplex during th fight). Nightwing, Black Mask, and Joker are the other three big names. Nightwing is in the first act, Black Mask in the 2nd, and Joker is seen briefly throughout the movie, but mainly in the 3rd act. Flashbacks would fill in blanks. Julia would be introduced, to help fill in for a still recovering Alfred, and it turns out she's every bit the drinking, sarcastic backseat driver Alfred is, but with more sass, and she can fight (like in the comics, how she could beat up Selina)

4) The Killing Joke. Following the bitter ending of UtH, Joker has been inspired by Jason's return, and has decided to once again play cruel games with Bats. That where Batgrl/Babs, and Jim Gordon, come in. We get to see badass Batgirl, before she's crippled by the Joker. I guess the point was to prove that Jason was right about the Joker, and the Joker trying to push Batman to once again return to what he became in BvS. The end would be ambiguous as to whether the Joker died, or not, but Batman would still have refused to kill him.

After that, then we can get into new Batman & Robin (Duke) movie (with a PROPER Mr. Freeze as the antagonist), and into a Ra's Al Ghul trilogy of movies, with Damian, and Talia, being prominent characters.

Babs, as Oracle, could spinoff into a BoP movie (with Cass as the new Batgirl, BC, and Huntress). Nightwing could spinoff into his own movie. Red Hood can be put into a SS sequel, and later his own movie.

Eventually, I'd like to see a No Man's Land movie, or series of movies, too; with Batwoman, Hugo Strange, Pyg, Wrath, Two-Face, and Penguin becoming more prominent.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 04-14-2016 at 11:18 AM.