Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Looking at Affleck's past work behind the camera, there's no way the movie ends up as something other than a fairly grounded thriller/crime drama. No time travel, space adventures or descents into different dimensions. I also can't see Johns' involvement amounting to anything more than giving pointers on continuity and past history of characters, as WB and Disney have both proven time and time again that they're not letting comic book people anywhere near the actual making of their films.

The board is pretty much set for a time jumping story with Jason Todd and Red Hood, but I'm not sure that material speaks to Affleck, and he obviously has a strong position with WB right now. I'm hoping for something new and fresh, with characterizations and various disparate paraphernalia taken from already existing material rather than actual story.
    I think if Affleck wants to work with Johns nobody at WB will stop him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    I think you and many fans are blindly rationalizing at this point. I don't rate Gone baby Gone or In Town as good films. I don't rate Oscar winners as necessarily great films either, especially in the case of Argo. Affleck's past output includes the terrible 2004 Daredevil movie, Gigli and Jersey girl - all universally hated as some of the worst movies in the past 20 years. His critically acclaimed endeavours are not from the superhero or action film genres.
    Ah, rationalizing. Afleck is, according to you, a "hack", because in your own words you think his films were shite despite being well received. This, despite then mentioning how some movies where he acted were "universally hated", as IF Snyder`s criticism don`t come from within the same industry. So, which is it?

Then you think you seal the argument with "well, at least Snyder can prove he can make trailers look cool and has a background in superhero movies". The issues with his DCU films aren`t in the visual department. It lacks plot coherence and good writing. Since the audience didn`t had a problem with accepting Batfleck, the issue remains in the things he`s proven to be better than Snyder when it comes to filmaking. Is he the chose one? Is anyone claiming he is? Does it even matter?

Snyder has failed twice in a row in making these characters feel coherent and connecting with the audience. There`s no biggie letting someone with some better credentials have a go with it. You can still see Justice League since you prefer Snyder so much. By the way, rumor has it that JL will be much more action oriented and visual packing than BvS was. That alone kinda tells me Snyder/WB know exactly what his strenghts are and what he lacks at. Food for thought.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    ha we are replying too fast. Just saying I could see them taking from both characters.

And admittedly I am just not a big fan of Luke.
    He's better than Duke though.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Yeah they're not crippling her in this era, either she'll already be crippled or she'll be Batgirl but a movie based on that is highly unlikely. You don't need Julia to make Alfred work and that's assuming they'll even be interested in a Alfred centric arc. Beware the Batman used Deathstroke and Katana so Julia isn't necessary at all. Why Duke over Tim as acting Robin?
    Affleck will do whatever he wants, and he's tackled subject matter just as, if not more, controversial. Also, a TKJ movie would be centered around it; it'd just be an incident that happens in the movie. Also, it'd be in a world where Joker has already killed a much older Robin. Add that having Babs already showed off her stuff in a CoO movie, and I don't see how'd it could be made into anything else, but a tragic, and dark movie.

Katana doesn't play that Robin/Julia role in the DCEU, so I don't see how Beware the Batman is relevant.

Duke over Tim, because Tim has gotten his time as Robin. Plus, it's diversity with a minority character that already exists. People always say, either use the minorities characters you got, or create new ones. Well Scott Snyder created one, and Affleck can use him, if he wishes to. DCEU has clearly been pushing more diverse casts, so Duke being a potential new Robin has a very good chance of happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum;1941037[B
    ]Looking at Affleck's past work behind the camera, there's no way the movie ends up as something other than a fairly grounded thriller/crime drama. No time travel, space adventures or descents into different dimensions. I also can't see Johns' involvement amounting to anything more than giving pointers on continuity and past history of characters, as WB and Disney have both proven time and time again that they're not letting comic book people anywhere near the actual making of their films. [/B]

The board is pretty much set for a time jumping story with Jason Todd and Red Hood, but I'm not sure that material speaks to Affleck, and he obviously has a strong position with WB right now. I'm hoping for something new and fresh, with characterizations and various disparate paraphernalia taken from already existing material rather than actual story.
    What are you talking about?

1) Ben Affleck directing crime dramas is why people are excited for his Batman movie.

2) Ben Afflect doesn't need Johns to explain anything to him. Ben Affleck is one of the biggest comic book nerds in Hollywood, and especially when it comes to Batman, as the dude is said to own practically every Batman comic, and he had a Bat Cave built into one of his houses. Kevin Smith says the only reason he's doing CBMs again is because he's playing his favorite comic book character ever.

3) It isn't just because the board wants one (for the most part), but because Affleck, and Snyder, have been hinting at it's importance in the DCEU. Not to mention, JoBlo, who broke the Thor 3, and WW, movie stories, have said that Red Hood is to be a prominent figure, with him in at least one movie, and apparently they've been talking to Taron Egerton to play the role. Of course, it's just rumor, but it's enough to be speculate on the potential of this storyline, and character, being in the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

1) Ben Affleck directing crime dramas is why people are excited for his Batman movie.

2) Ben Afflect doesn't need Johns to explain anything to him. Ben Affleck is one of the biggest comic book nerds in Hollywood, and especially when it comes to Batman, as the dude is said to own practically every Batman comic, and he had a Bat Cave built into one of his houses. Kevin Smith says the only reason he's doing CBMs again is because he's playing his favorite comic book character ever.

3) It isn't just because the board wants one (for the most part), but because Affleck, and Snyder, have been hinting at it's importance in the DCEU. Not to mention, JoBlo, who broke the Thor 3, and WW, movie stories, have said that Red Hood is to be a prominent figure, with him in at least one movie, and apparently they've been talking to Taron Egerton to play the role. Of course, it's just rumor, but it's enough to be speculate on the potential of this storyline, and character, being in the DCEU.
    First I've heard of that. If he can pull off the american accent this would be awesome.

Or heck, british immigrant jason todd, still cool with it.

Sure, did I say something that contradicted that? I think Affleck is a fine (if a bit safe) choice to write and direct a Batman movie, no argument there.

Being a fan doesn't necessarily mean that he's up to speed on more recent comics stuff, or that he's even that knowledgable at all. Exaggerating stuff like that is a good way to appease fans. I somehow doubt that Ben Affleck is one of the c.a 100.000 people who buys Batman every month. Which isn't a bad thing at all, BTW.

There's certainly a lot of groundwork laid for a Jason Todd story, but I don't see that material meshing with Affleck's sensibilities. We'll see, I guess.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Sure, did I say something that contradicted that? I think Affleck is a fine (if a bit safe) choice to write and direct a Batman movie, no argument there.

Being a fan doesn't necessarily mean that he's up to speed on more recent comics stuff, or that he's even that knowledgable at all. Exaggerating stuff like that is a good way to appease fans. I somehow doubt that Ben Affleck is one of the c.a 100.000 people who buys Batman every month. Which isn't a bad thing at all, BTW.

There's certainly a lot of groundwork laid for a Jason Todd story, but I don't see that material meshing with Affleck's sensibilities. We'll see, I guess.
    I guess, we'll find out eventually, or at Comic-Con.

I mean, if you look at Ayer, something like Suicide Squad looks very different from anything else he's been involved until now.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I suppose if Ben wants to do a Red Hood movie but doesn't want any Lazarus Pits or reality punching, he can borrow Arkham Knight's take on the resurrection side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I suppose if Ben wants to do a Red Hood movie but doesn't want any Lazarus Pits or reality punching, he can borrow Arkham Knight's take on the resurrection side of the story.
    Or just keep it ambiguous; like show Talia in flashbacks, but not the pit.

Still, the DCEU is going full magic anyways, and, if someone like Ayer is getting into it, a comic book nerd like Affleck should be able to.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    If they'll really adapt UTRH I hope they'll use Brubaker's Black Mask not Winnick's. After Batman Begins I wanted Rutger Hauer's character to evolve into Black Mask but hey, at least Scarecrow got two awesome cameos in the sequels
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-14-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asdamine View Post
    Do note the only character I mentioned as being shoehorned was Catwoman. I didn't say Bane and Talia were unnecessary since the whole premise of TDKR did deal with the return of the League of Shadows, or a version of it... which I was fine with on a narrative level, albeit it being, as I said, tiresome because it was uninspiring, or repetitive, or whatever issues were raised when the film came out. Take your pick.

Catwoman, on the other hand, as was discussed to death then, was indeed an uninspiring and unnecessary choice as Batman's forced love interest/quasi-foil/whatever. Just because it was the filmmakers' idea to have Selena Kyle in the film didn't mean they did a good job with her, and it showed.

My point is that they had a wealth of characters to choose from for the final outing. I'm sure the Huntress must've crossed their mind but they saw fit to go with what was in the final product instead, which I thought was a pity.

That's not to say Bane was a poor choice by Nolan, but Helena would've been better IMO. Her circumstances and morals (or the lack thereof) are more relatable to Bruce Wayne/Batman when it comes to the meaning and value of his existence, as opposed to Bane who's just someone for Batman to overcome, be it on a personal level or for the good of the many... which was a good premise, but that, as I said, had been done in Begins and TDK already.
    The only reason I went to see The Dark Knight Rises was because it had Catwoman in it. If it would have had Huntress in it instead I wouldn't have even bothered to go. My only complaint about Catwoman was I would have liked to have had more of her in the movie.

BANNED

It got the crime noir elements down path and some of the best Batman/Joker character studies there is this side of KJ. Lot of action to boot. It also fits with the older Bat.

We`ll see, but I actually see it as a potential story he could be interested with.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I'm not sure why people keep discussing adaptations - evidently Affleck had a "cool Batman idea" and wrote his own script. Sounds like new material to me. As for anyone calling him a hack, Good Will Hunting is right up there in the great category, but I would encourage you to see The Town if you haven't already done so. If he brings half the taught action to Batman as is in that movie then all will be ok
    I agree that Affleck is an excellent writer and director. We will see how he does with a Batman script, and how much input Johns has. The fact they are evidently working together is one reason I am rather cautious about the "Joker's true name" plot they are pushing as part of Rebirth (even more in the print edition of DCU Previews). It is very clearly a setup for something else, and the DCEU is a very obvious place possibility.

Affleck will do whatever he wants, and he's tackled subject matter just as, if not more, controversial. Also, a TKJ movie would be centered around it; it'd just be an incident that happens in the movie. Also, it'd be in a world where Joker has already killed a much older Robin. Add that having Babs already showed off her stuff in a CoO movie, and I don't see how'd it could be made into anything else, but a tragic, and dark movie.
    In this social climate and after the critical reception and box office plunge of BvS? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, no.