Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Moon Knight #1 (Spoilers.)

I just finished reading it after staying up until the wee hours of the morning for the Comixology digital release... I have to write that it was perhaps the strangest and most interesting first issue comic I have read. My poor mind is still kind of blown so my thoughts are a little scattered. The site review doesn't convey just how surreal this issue is even in small details like how the art and coloring changes from fuzzy to clear depending. They even played with text fonts. The potential invasion of New York looked awesome from the roof top with the sands swallowing the city and the giant pyramid. For some reason this scene made me think of the Necrons from Warhammer 40K lol.

They even had a classic rogue cameo in Stained Glass Scarlet that left me wondering how she might play into this. I am not sure what to make of Marlene either.

What's real?

I don't know.

Is Marc just a nut job? Based on Khonshu's dialogue I am wondering if part of this is about Specter finally settling on one identity to answer the question of who he is once and for all for future stories. If so this is potentially really cool. Maybe he will drive other people crazy for a change.

I was really disturbed some how by the violent orderlies at the hospital. They even used the small details like the comb in one of em's hair to make it more real and gritty. Then the use of ... blow up boxes to highlight little details. Now that I think about it the art is gritty and then shifts...

It has horror. It has strangeness. It has insanity... Wierd Egyptian gods playing with minds and New York monuments... This comic is crazy. Even the bed sheet mask to channel "himself."

I really want to read the next issue like now but I have to wait. I liked it. More thoughts later.

Have you guys read this book yet? What are you thinking about it?

This book is messing with me.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

This sounds awesome and outrageous! I'll tradewait, though

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    This sounds awesome and outrageous! I'll tradewait, though

Don't tell me I am going to be the only guy buying hanging here all alone waiting on some one else to talk Moon Knight with...

Imma talk to those voices in my head and see if one of them is Khonshu.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

BANNED

Well, I'll be getting my copy in about.... 1 month, so, yeah...

Soon! Work is in the way. Can't wait to pick this issue up.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Headed to the LCS in about an hour, will post after I read.

Is this a good one to get into if I don't know crap about Moon Knight? Only thing I read of his was the Bendis one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Is this a good one to get into if I don't know crap about Moon Knight? Only thing I read of his was the Bendis one.
    In a way yes in that the story starts with the character torn down and they are building him back up so you learn what is what along the way. I am not kidding though when I say this is a different kind of strange right from the start so be ready for a mind blown condition at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    In a way yes in that the story starts with the character torn down and they are building him back up so you learn what is what along the way. I am not kidding though when I say this is a different kind of strange right from the start so be ready for a mind blown condition at the end.
    Sounds good. I'm all for strange!

Mighty Member

This was weird, in a mostly good way. I said that I think bringing back Moon Knight's old supporting cast is probably a step backwards, but what a way to bring them back!

Only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the psychiatrist doesn't make any sense, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that. She says that Moon Knight is real. She also says that Marc has lived in the hospital all his life and had been making up adventures of Moon Knight since he was a kid. If that was true, Moon Knight would be an old man at this point. Plus, how would he even know about Khonshu to begin with if he was in the hospital? Doesn't really seem like a place with a heavy emphasis on education. Her argument doesn't check out without doing some stretching, and I feel like for the is he/isn't he thing to have really worked, she needed to have a more ironclad argument. If he turned out not to be Moon Knight by the end of this, just a crazy guy also named Marc, it would feel sloppy due to this explanation. On the flip side, it could just be a wink to denote that Marc isn't crazy, but then it might be a little early for that.

It's really a little thing all things considered, since this is clearly focused on Marc's journey more than whether or not he's actually crazy in the way that they depict him. Lemire's taking elements from all the major runs so far, so I'm interested to see where it all goes.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Hmmmm... sounds interesting and yet awful too.

I'll tradewait and see, as the price tag is keeping me away.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post

Don't tell me I am going to be the only guy buying hanging here all alone waiting on some one else to talk Moon Knight with...

Imma talk to those voices in my head and see if one of them is Khonshu.
    No, you're not the only one....just the only one to stay up till midnight while at the earliest most of us will not be getting our copy till later today.
    Our thoughts are coming, be patient. You're review makes it sound really trippy though!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I have to be honest, a part of me didn't want to like it. It's just a very blatant direction, and I haven't been into Lemire otherwise, and the layouts kind of annoy me. But it was good. Head games? Yes please. And I'm all for a retcon if that's where this is going.

I own every issue of Moon Knight ever published from all his short lived series. This issue was not only the trippiest issues of Moon Knight any writer has ever done but is one of the trippiest #1's I have ever read to a new series. I loved every minute I spent with it. My only hope is that not everyone was turned off by the $4.99 price tag and this series gets the chance to be fleshed out because it seems like it is going to be one hell of a ride; which I will be experiencing until the end.

It was a great issue. Loved seeing all the supporting cast, regardless of what state they were in. Seems like it's going to be a great mystery.

I hope it isn't going to take away Marc's identities though like the OP suggested. Marc Spector is Marc Spector, the rest are identities he uses for different purposes. It's only in his mental illness that he gets confused with who he really is. That's never been a mystery to the reader though.