Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    As good as Warren Ellis's run with Moon Knight was (six classic issues reinventing the character) my problem is that every team that followed him ignored what he did and wrote Moon Knight like something out of the old handbook listing. Really killed all the momentum he generated. I am hoping that whomever ends up writing this title is consistent with ideas being established here at the start of the new series and builds the character and his rogue gallery up correctly.
    I didn't mind Bunn's run on Moon Knight. I though given Wood's shift in momentum, he was able to somewhat steer it back to the ambience of the Ellis run.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Mighty Member

I agree completely. I enjoyed all three writers, but I liked Ellis and Bunn's issues far more than Wood's.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

MEH, I don't get the praise with Ellis on 6 issues. I'm not saying they were bad, understand that before you Ellis lovers get itchy typing fingers to lash out.
    They just weren't groundbreaking and the 16 issues that followed by the other two creative teams were just as enjoyable for my monthly money. I'm just as excited about what Lemire is likely to do and will not be surprised if I like it more than Ellis and I've read really, really good Ellis. His MK just wasn't "oh my goodness, character re-defininig" great as some like to continually put out there. Maybe if Ellis stayed on something longer than 6 issues it could've been.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

For me, it wasn't character redefining. Moon Knight gets "redefined" with every incarnation. That is absolutely not what he needs. What I love most about Ellis's run he wonderfully blended all those former versions/idea and made sense of (most of) it, while pulling away from the insane/extreme direction that Moon Knight had been going in since the Huston run and heading back towards stories that were more classic Moon Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    It's weird that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Warren Ellis made a new Black Spectre during the final issue of his run. Although, his showing was even worse than the last time Black Spectre showed up. Made for a nice Moon Knight moment, though.
    Completely forgot about that, the new Black Spectre sure didn't make a lasting impression... I'd prefer to have Carson Knowles back, he had a pretty interesting backstory.

BTW, solicitations confirmed that Frenchie is indeed committed as well!

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    For me, it wasn't character redefining. Moon Knight gets "redefined" with every incarnation. That is absolutely not what he needs. What I love most about Ellis's run he wonderfully blended all those former versions/idea and made sense of (most of) it, while pulling away from the insane/extreme direction that Moon Knight had been going in since the Huston run and heading back towards stories that were more classic Moon Knight.
    This. It definitely didn't seem like a "rebranding" of the character like Bendis's iteration or Vengeance of the Moon Knight, despite the not-so-new costume. There was an appeal that definitely mixed classic elements with a fresh take that didn't feel like it was trying too hard.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Incredible Member

Something about the setup of this storyline just screams "Committee" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    Something about the setup of this storyline just screams "Committee" to me.
    Can you be more specific.
    Lemire hasn't written that way that we know of before.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Can you be more specific.
    Lemire hasn't written that way that we know of before.
    When he wrote "Committee" I automatically thought of Moon Knight's enemies being in play rather than a group writing the comic:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/committeewbn.htm
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    When he wrote "Committee" I automatically thought of Moon Knight's enemies being in play rather than a group writing the comic:
    That's what I meant. There were a lot of things about this issue that seemed to be callbacks to "classic" MK and the setup feels like it could be something the remnants of that organization would do to their old enemy, and would have the resources to pull off.

*Head Slap*
    DOH! I feel silly for having missed that. That would indeed make for a great tie and reinforce how Lemire is getting more back to basics with Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    *Head Slap*
    DOH! I feel silly for having missed that. That would indeed make for a great tie and reinforce how Lemire is getting more back to basics with Marc.
    I am still thinking this is Seth in action and some form of new status quo is coming. I would laugh if the Committee were somehow locked up with him...
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I wonder if anyone else thought the whole archaic "mental asylum" trope was somewhat distasteful?

I rather enjoyed the issue otherwise, but stigmatic stereotypes of abusive orderlies and apathetic psychologists do not sit too well with me. Plastering "Schizophrenic" across the cover I got was a bit much, don't have to try and glorify a condition that shouldn't be!

Positives, the art and the rest of the writing was wonderful though (enough to justify the increased price, for whatever reason that was!) and Moon Knight as a concept is interesting enough for me to carry on. Dream sequences were quite the treat, certainly seeing the clear Egyptian mythological influences.

This issue #1 was certainly not on the same level as the superb Ellis / Shalvey issues but still pretty neat as a whole.
    I agree that having 'schizophrenic' plastered on the hip-hop cover was a bit on the nose but I don't mind the mental hospital aspects at all. It's definitely cliche on purpose, but it also helps play into the mystery. The over the top abuse and neglect could be what caused his moon knight fantasies, it could be an exaggeration as part of his condition(s), or it could all be an act by the "staff" and "patients" to make Marc question everything. It could also be intentional to make readers uncomfortable. 'Normal' people that don't let the stigma motivate them will usually be greatly offended to see the mentally ill treated this way, and also this sort of treatment by the supposed "help" can be a very serious concern that may hold someone back from getting the help they need. I understand where you're coming from, but I think the meaning and thoughts behind this aspect are a lot deeper than you're giving them credit for.
    Last edited by rellum; 04-22-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Current Pull List:
    DC (Rebirth): All-Star Batman, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Justice League
    Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Power Man and Iron Fist, Spider-Gwen
    Image: The Walking Dead
    Dark Horse: Dept-H

Titles that I wish I could afford to also follow
    All-New All-Different Avengers, Scooby Apocalypse