Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Was that in the JL series or in one of the Lantern titles? (And which color is the correct one, since brown and black are both used pretty frequently?)
    Green Lanterns #24 had all the GLs together. And her hair is supposed to be brown.

To be fair Jessica is a Latina and Latinas change hair color/hair style like the average person changes clothes. Trust me I would know xD lol
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

I've visited this thread a few times before because Jessica caught my eye. I'm going to be picking up some books with her in it soon; we'll see if she grows on me.

Spectacular Member

Reading the latest Justice League.

This is a nice bit of characterization for her. I don't know how she is in the comics but whoever writes Justice League has either done their homework or been through the same stuff she had.

I identify very much with her anxieties. The things she's complaining to Baz about are the things I used to struggle with. Its called mind reading and in cognitive therapy this is a known cognitive distortion. The flaw in mind reading is that its ultimately about you. Even if its something like "She looks sad, she needs me to comfort her" thats about you, not her.

But quite often it manifests the way it does for Jessica here "Everyone is judging me." Of course it doesn't help that she's talking to geniuses and people with the Wisdom of Athena and such. Simon points out where she's wrong as best he can "Batman doesn't like talking to anybody, Cyborg has to dumb things down, Wonder Woman has Athena's Wisdom" etc. Its not about you, its about them. Thats just how they are. If they brush you off in a hallway, they might be having a bad day or they might just be rude.

Watch for fortune telling if you haven't seen it. It goes hand in hand and its another cognitive distortion common to people with anxiety issues. If I do this, then this will happen, then this. Its fine to try to plan and anticipate but fortune telling becomes a flaw when it chronically stops you from doing things and leaves you perpetually panicked and stressed.

EDIT: Yep, one page later she's fortune telling. She believes she'll be as bad with Lois as she was last time. Solid character work here.
    Last edited by KingDragonlord; 06-08-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    jessica was so cute in today's comics both justice league and green lanterns <3
    I was surprised in the preview.. how cute

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I've visited this thread a few times before because Jessica caught my eye. I'm going to be picking up some books with her in it soon; we'll see if she grows on me.
    I'd stick with Green Lanterns. I think that book gives her great characterization. It manages to show just how crippling her Anxiety is, while making her seem impossibly strong for constantly overcoming it. They don't abandon it either. She gets better at handling it, but the anxiety is always there, as it should be. Justice League, if it has Hich's name on it I'd say its an easy skip. He definitely doesn't get her character at all.

The first couple issues I've read of this Rebirrh Series, I like Jessica.

However, I wish THIS was her own book. I don't like him at all.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jessica is the most adorable Earth Lantern ever .
    I know this is an old post, but it's a good springboard for me to join the discussion by agreeing wholeheartedly with you.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Adorable is a good description indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    The first couple issues I've read of this Rebirrh Series, I like Jessica.

However, I wish THIS was her own book. I don't like him at all.
    I am only interested in her too.. But..

If for some reason these 2 end as a couple, no problem..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

If for some reason these 2 end as a couple, no problem..
    I really hope the two don't become a couple. Too often in fiction it feels like if the protagonists are a man and a woman, they need to end up in a relationship. Same thing with Jason and Artemis over in RHatO. Even in my own web serial, I've been trying to keep the protags from ending up together, despite some people (other writers, not just readers) telling me how natural it would be with how they're written.

How old is Jessica supposed to be btw? Is she a young adult (20-25)? Late teen (18-19)?
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I really hope the two don't become a couple. Too often in fiction it feels like if the protagonists are a man and a woman, they need to end up in a relationship. Same thing with Jason and Artemis over in RHatO. Even in my own web serial, I've been trying to keep the protags from ending up together, despite some people (other writers, not just readers) telling me how natural it would be with how they're written.
    I wouldn't mind if the became a couple. But I think it would need to be done right - a slow and gradual evolution of their relationship. I think if it was done right a green lantern couple in space could be a really interesting dynamic. Plus I'd much rather Simon and Jessica be paired together rather than either inevitably paired up with someone else (such as Jessica and Flash where I didnt really see any point).

And whats your web serial?

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I'd be down for it so long as it's handled well, but I really enjoy romance so I'm definitely be biased .

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    How old is Jessica supposed to be btw? Is she a young adult (20-25)? Late teen (18-19)?
    With her physique and being on the League, along with being paired with Simon, I think she's in her early 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd be down for it so long as it's handled well, but I really enjoy romance so I'm definitely be biased .
    Me too I love Romance in Comics!