Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...e-two-of-them/

So according to this interview Jessica Cruz is of Mexican descent. Someone on these boards said she was Mexican American but didn't have a source so it's cool that its now confirmed.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

What about Christian Serratos as Jessica Cruz?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    What about Christian Serratos as Jessica Cruz?
    Looks up actress

Oh shit, Suzie from Ned's Declassified. Never knew she was part Mexican.

My personal casting choice for Jessica is Gina Rodriguez. YES, she's Puerto Rican not Mexican, but I honestly think she could really pull off the role.

Let me just start by saying, nerds live for this shit

So... what's wrong with this picture?

Save Ferris...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Let me just start by saying, nerds live for this shit

So... what's wrong with this picture?

Earth is in Space Sector 2814, not 2184. I kinda freaked out when I read this. How the Hell did no one in the creative process catch this?!

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Earth is in Space Sector 2814, not 2184. I kinda freaked out when I read this. How the Hell did no one in the creative process catch this?!
    I know right!!! I know Humphries is new to GL and has taken some liberties with the continuity to serve his own story needs, but where's the editor on this? I'm sure they'll have some snarky fix to it like the ring was only kidding when it said that, or they'll just blow it off as not a big deal but come on man... did you write this thing while double parked at a monster truck show? Take a few minutes to proofread once in a while, or is the bulk of the time spent coming up with witty retorts for Jessica?
    Save Ferris...

Maybe the ring was just deliberately being annoying

Probably just a typo. Don't see any reason to get annoyed over it or invent theories, when we could just say that the ring gave the correct answer, but the comic was printed incorrectly.

He even botched it on the math too. She's in sector 502, which is 1,682 sectors away from home. 502 + 1,682 = 2,184. The nerd strikes again!! Nitpick-copter away!!

At least he didn't say she'd be home in 120 parsecs... only the Millenium Falcon can travel that fast
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    He even botched it on the math too. She's in sector 502, which is 1,682 sectors away from home. 502 + 1,682 = 2,184. The nerd strikes again!! Nitpick-copter away!!

At least he didn't say she'd be home in 120 parsecs... only the Millenium Falcon can travel that fast
    Which proves it wasn't a typo...
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    Which proves it wasn't a typo...
    If you want to go super geek, there's even a flaw in saying 2184 is 1682 sectors away. The universe is 3 dimensional space so the sectors wouldn't be arranged linear. Sector 1 is the center of the universe. Sector 3600 would not be 3599 sectors away, it would be more like 1800 unless the sectors are arranged like layers of an onion which would be grossly inefficient. Ears bleeding yet?

Does any of this make a difference? Probably not. Hopefully no one gets the dumb idea of fighting stupid with stupid and tries to make what is clearly a mistake seem intentional by saying Jessica wasn't born on Earth, she was born on sector 2184 and yadda yadda... Hey, anyone ever hear of the Van Halen brown M&M story? Well kiddos, when a band puts on a concert, they have something called a rider. It's a contract that states the responsibility of the venue to provide sound systems, lights, safety measures, and certain backstage accomodations. One of the accomodations in Van halen's rider was to have a bowl of M&Ms backstage but none of them can be brown. Well one night, after a show, the band finds a brown M&M backstage and they flip out. The legend of the primadonna rockstar was born.

The truth is, Van Halen wasn't actually doing it to be assholes. The rider had a lot of important things in it related to setting up the stage and more importantly the safety of their road crew. If the band saw a bowl of M&Ms without the browns, then they knew someone took the time to read the whole contract and give it the care it deserved. If they saw brown M&Ms, they knew someone got sloppy and just skimmed it over. If they missed this, what else might've been missed?

Sector 2184 is a brown M&M. It's just carelessness that shows a lack of respect for everything that's come before. But here's the thing that took me a little while to realize. Green Lanterns is not written for Green Lantern fans. It's written for new readers. That's certainly not a bad thing, it's just important to have that distinction in my head when I read it. I understand why DC tabbed Sam Humphries to write it. They want to catch lightning in a bottle and redefine GL for the next generation. Still not a bad thing. I'm sure Sam would be happy as a pig in chit if all GL continuity were erased since it seems like so much of it just gets in his way. He takes a lot of liberties with the GL lore that naturally rubs longtime GL fans the wrong way, but probably works for a new reader.

Look at this page and how her ring acts. Sure, it's fun and witty and we all love how Jessica interacts with it. But this is one of those liberties that's fun right now, but a can of worms down the road. The ring has a personality. So is it a sentient being? Did Jessica just say "be alive ring" and it was? Are all the rings alive or just computers? Before, the ring was just a tool and it was entirely driven by the person wearing it. But now, if the rings are alive and we know each living creature is a snowflake, would some lanterns get rings that are better or worse than others? Having a living ring on her finger also sorta implies that she's incapable of doing anything on her own. There is a precedent for sudden changes. When Kyle first took over, the yellow impurity was removed and not really explained right away. This wasn't a huge deal since he was the only GL at the time. I would simply put in a request to Professor Humphries that he think through some of his changes and how they can impact things. And maybe do a little research? You don't have to bend the rules to write a good story. Well.... a good writer doesn't have to bend the rules....

Anyway, back to appreciating Jessica!
    Save Ferris...

Astonishing Member

It wouldn't be the first time something off happened in this run regardless. The use of the Blue and Indigo lights via the Phantom Ring didn't make much sense and seemed written more in line to explain why Frank would have an epiphany and not be able to be understood by the others just to keep the confusion between all 3 going.

I enjoy the book but I started thinking of it as "continuity-lite" as soon as the Reds popped up under Atrocitus again.

It's things like the sector number mistake and other signs of carelessness and their ramifications that has made the book completely unenjoyable to me. But that's not the topic of this thread - so those that do enjoy more power to you!
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Cover for GL 24, with the teachers.

GLS_24_Emanuela_Lupacchino.jpg