Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Clark Kent

Default What does Marvel Comics mean to you?

What does Marvel Comics mean to you and how much influence has it had on your daily lives?

When it comes to Marvel I only really care about the X-Men.

The whole concept of them being a massive extended (sometimes dysfunctional) family always appealed to me. They have also been the most diverse team since 1975, so they were way ahead of the current editorial mandate. I was also drawn in by their mission statement of protecting a world that hates and fears them.

BANNED

No influence on my daily life other than that I read comic books. I don't go to superhero comics for spiritual guidance or high literature, I just like well-written stories and nice pictures. Comics are a unique medium and I get more fun out of them than most movies.

That said, I'm cutting down on them. They're too expensive for what they are. $2.99 I can manage. At a stretch, $3.99. With erratic double-shipping, some oversized issues for $5.99 and $4.99, it's hard to budget.

Honestly it's completely influenced my life, Marvel is the reason I'm reading comics in the first place which I've been reading for 10 years now. From there it has influenced the movies, tv shows, and even my choice in video games along with even some of the friends I have since I generally hung out with other people who liked comics. Marvel has brought me a lot of fun honestly and I don't even know what my life would look like if I hadn't picked up my first marvel comic.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Marvel Comics stole my wife, burned my crops and salted my land.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

It's a reasonably reliable source of entertainment.

They make good movies.

It is ...alarmingly and disarmingly vital to my disposition.

Marvel provokes my emotions and sense of wonder in a very pure, and child like way.

iMan 42s

Interesting question.
    I'd say Marvel influenced me to Cosplay and as a result of cosplaying at conventions and going to those I've had the opportunity to meet some great people and voice actors on occasion. Even to some extent my own art style as I practiced drawing using trades of Ultimate Spider-man.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    When it comes to Marvel I only really care about the X-Men.

The whole concept of them being a massive extended (sometimes dysfunctional) family always appealed to me. They have also been the most diverse team since 1975, so they were way ahead of the current editorial mandate. I was also drawn in by their mission statement of protecting a world that hates and fears them.
    Pretty much this to the point that I think I chose my wife based on her similarity to Kitty Pryde.

And well... this feeling has almost died in the past 15 years, because the X-Books are nothing at all like they were back then.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Marvel Comics stole my wife, burned my crops and salted my land.
    Well you know what they say about karma
    "This is me being reasonable"

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Well you know what they say about karma
    I know what Marvel says about my poor Xi'an
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Well played
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Well played
    Uh...I'd like to know what they say please?

Marvel was my gateway into comics, so I'll always have a nostalgic fondness for those back issues. These days, though? There's some very good stuff, but it's largely buried by overpriced, overhyped event books or else $4 20-page stories printed on garbage paper. I keep an eye on their offerings the same way I do other publishers, but there's no brand loyalty in this corner.