Default Winter Comes To Westeros; The Winter Knight That Is

In the reality you know, shortly after becoming The Winter Knight the wizard Harry Dresden experienced a
    temporary demise. After spending sometime as a disembodied spirit he finally managed to make his way back
    to the land of the living.

But in another reality the Plot Gods intervene, forcing Harry to take a detour on his return that has him end up
    on Westeros (tv continuity due to not having read the books). To compensate Dresden for diverting him, the
    Plot Gods supply him with all of his old gear such as his duster, blasting rod, staff, etc recreated good as new.
    And of course, he still has all the capabilities and might that come with his mantle as Winter Knight. As
    appropriate to his title, he arrives at Winterfell just in time to befriend the Starks and be invited to the feast
    being held in honor of the King's visit.

So, how do events change with Harry Dresden's presence? Does he stay in Winterfell, go to Wall, or
    accompany Ned to King's Landing? How does his friendship with the Starks change their fortunes in The Game
    of Thrones?

I, The Watcher, pose this question to you all:
    What If Harry Dresden Came To Westeros?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Harry would be a force to be reckoned with. I mean, he's going to be limited to affecting limited events, being one dude, but he's one dude who could do a pretty ridiculous job on an entire Westeros army. Since he's Harry, he's likely to get engaged on some odd side quests, but he'd probably take rather poorly to finding out about Bran - Circe and Jamie would not like that coming out - and he'd eventually just have to face the White Walkers, their zombies and such. Oh, and if he hears about Melisandre's tricks on behalf of Stannis, ****'s gonna go south (or north) awfully quickly for the man.

Anyone standing against him, in that world, without the Council looking over him, is going to get force ringed through a wall. People will stop coming shortly after that.

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

If Harry is specifically told that the Laws don't apply to him here...yeesh. Watch out, bad guys.

He'd probably get to the bottom of that whole Baratheon-bloodline morass fairly quickly through use of thamaturgy, and go about setting Gendry on the Iron Throne. Then he'd either negotiate a truce with Danaerys, or if that didn't work, blast her dragons to smithereens before they could become a region-destabilizing threat. I'm not quite sure what he'd do about the White Walkers, but his power as Winter Knight should be sufficient to do something - maybe even control them outright and tell them to back off.

Also, it is 100% guaranteed that at some point, someone will hear, "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up! THIS is my BOOMSTICK!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

Astonishing Member

In Westeros? With no restrictions? Without the support of his crew he's going to go dark-side bery qukckly.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    If Harry is specifically told that the Laws don't apply to him here...yeesh. Watch out, bad guys.

He'd probably get to the bottom of that whole Baratheon-bloodline morass fairly quickly through use of thamaturgy, and go about setting Gendry on the Iron Throne. Then he'd either negotiate a truce with Danaerys, or if that didn't work, blast her dragons to smithereens before they could become a region-destabilizing threat. I'm not quite sure what he'd do about the White Walkers, but his power as Winter Knight should be sufficient to do something - maybe even control them outright and tell them to back off.

Also, it is 100% guaranteed that at some point, someone will hear, "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up! THIS is my BOOMSTICK!"
    Why on Earth would he set Gendry on the throne? Numero uno he has no legal claim to it whatsoever, he's a bastard, the Whole reason bastards have generic surnames is because they specifically can't inherit anything from their family, Hell Gendry doesn't even have a bastard surname because he was never openly acknowledged as being Robert's bastard. To be legally entitled to anything a Westeros Bastard has to be legitimized by the King or a Noble. And Gendry probably couldn't even get that as there's no real way to prove Robert was his father, what with Robert being dead(the word of his mother, a tavern wench, likely doesn't carry a great deal of legal authority) and would only be able to start a new house.

Then you have to question why you would even want him on the throne. He's a blacksmith apprentice. Not even close to being old enough to be finished with his apprenticeship, putting him on the throne would be the equivalent of making a guy half way through tech school the CEO of a fortune 500 company. He wouldn't have the faintest idea of what to do unless hammering superheated iron all day somehow translates far better to administrating a country than I thought.

Hell if you do want to put one of Robert's bastards on the throne Edric Storm is the FAR better choice.

People may have forgotten but Stannis IS the only remaining guy with any real legal claim to the throne. (major spoiled alert if you don't read the books)spoilers:
    Well if you don't want to give it to either of the remaining Targaryen's that is
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Honestly there's just too much going on too quickly for Harry to respond to it all.

Also no way in hell is Harry going to want to back either of the Targaryens.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    In Westeros? With no restrictions? Without the support of his crew he's going to go dark-side bery qukckly.
    Yeah, probably. Things are going to get rape-ish very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    but his power as Winter Knight should be sufficient to do something - maybe even control them outright and tell them to back off.
    So far his power as Winter Knight mantle has only amped his stats, given him some better control over ice magic, and dulled him to feeling pain. Oh and given him some resistance to cold I guess.
    Last edited by Surtur; 07-02-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    To be legally entitled to anything a Westeros Bastard has to be legitimized by the King or a Noble.
    Harry has an extensive history of flouting the law when he deems it necessary. He proved quite conclusively in Summer Knight that he's more than willing to do so if it means putting a sane ruler onto a throne.

...as there's no real way to prove Robert was his father, what with Robert being dead
    I had an argument all prepared for this, but then I remembered that thaumaturgy requires a bond or sense of family; simple blood relation isn't enough. Your suggestion of Edric may be the only option here, since Robert actually acknowledged him. Mostly it depends on whether Harry is able to even catch on to the bloodline thing in the first place, between everything else that's going on.

Then you have to question why you would even want him on the throne.
    That part's easy - he has a good head on his shoulders and doesn't want the power. Those are always the people who make the best kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    So far his power as Winter Knight mantle has only amped his stats, given him some better control over ice magic, and dulled him to feeling pain. Oh and given him some resistance to cold I guess.
    Yeah; I'm just now finishing up Cold Days. He can't do jack to manipulate the winter sidhe (without Mab's explicit help, anyway), so I doubt he could do the same to the Walkers.

He is extremely good with fire magic, though. Give him enough time to work up the spell and he could probably generate a big-ass wall of fire in the North (far enough away that it wouldn't melt the actual Wall, of course).
    Last edited by Primetime Harder; 07-02-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Obvious Answer: He introduces the White Walkers to Pizza and accidentally becomes their new God King.

Over the next year, he does the same to the rest of Westeros.

Obvious Answer: He introduces the White Walkers to Pizza and accidentally becomes their new God King.

Over the next year, he does the same to the rest of Westeros.
    Bonus - the 'original' pizza was called the Margherita. Harry's version would probably be the Margareta.

Astonishing Member

Also him, Tyrion, and Jamie must never meet or the entire planet'll get sucked into a sarcasm singularity.