Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman is nothing without a man

Why does DC feel that Diana must have her power come from a man? For decades, Diana was the paragon of girl power and now that is twisted into a lie. Oh you only thought she was powerful because of her training or up bringing but surprise it was a man all along! Her mother is actually a crafty liar! Thank the all powerful man that Diana REALLY receives her powers from.

I don't understand why she can't be a powerful woman due to either herself a woman or the goddesses which were women. Are the writers that insecure that to comprehend her they have to pull back the curtain and declare whew close one boys but the most powerful woman is in fact powerful because of a man.

I feel like the next origin of Wonder Woman will feature her true true origin where they reveal she was actually a man all along.

Sorry for the rant. I am just so sick of the male power source for what was once a beacon of feminism.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDiana View Post
    Why does DC feel that Diana must have her power come from a man? For decades, Diana was the paragon of girl power and now that is twisted into a lie. Oh you only thought she was powerful because of her training or up bringing but surprise it was a man all along! Her mother is actually a crafty liar! Thank the all powerful man that Diana REALLY receives her powers from.

I don't understand why she can't be a powerful woman due to either herself a woman or the goddesses which were women. Are the writers that insecure that to comprehend her they have to pull back the curtain and declare whew close one boys but the most powerful woman is in fact powerful because of a man.

I feel like the next origin of Wonder Woman will feature her true true origin where they reveal she was actually a man all along.

Sorry for the rant. I am just so sick of the male power source for what was once a beacon of feminism.
    I think they are trying (badly) to make her more appealing to wider audiences. I really don't think it's deliberate (maybe I'm just hopeful of that though). But to be honest I've never thought that ANY of her origins post-Marston did her justice ... blessings, born of Zeus etc ... she and the Amazons were better, IMO, when their powers came from Amazonian training and skills.

Incredible Member

Wait, isn't her current origin that she's a demigod?

She's a lot cooler when she's a demi-god. Sorry but I find her new origin a lot more interesting than the whole clay thing. Plus it adds so much needed depth to her supporting cast.

I have to disagree. She shares the same origin as hundreds of other characters. There is nothing in my opinion unique or interesting about being yet another generic offspring of Zeus. There are countless ways of making her a demigod without owing her powers to a man. If they didn't want to continue the Adam origin of clay brought to life, there were countless routes they could have went. They could have given her a human father to explain her fascination with man's world. They could have revealed that she was the daughter of Athena or even Hera. She could have been so many things but nope. She's Paris Hilton. Famous because of her fathers wealth and power.

Ugh. I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated today. I bought Earth One and it has me in a fowl mood.

I never got the impression that being made from clay was inherently "female".

I like the demigod reveal because it gives her a Secret Origin, makes her history a Myth, derives her powers from a unique fashion to most superheroes, and clouds the relationship between she and her mother.

Princess Diana is in the grand tradition of Alice in Wonderland, Dorothy in Oz, Wendy Darling, but heroically comes to the real world from fantasy lands, like the Little Mermaid and Rapunzel.

The demigod origin doubles and triples down on "myth".

She's Paris Hilton. Famous because of her fathers wealth and power.

Just to clarify: Paris Hilton is privileged because of her father's wealth and power. Paris Hilton is FAMOUS because she chose to be stupid on camera. Similarly, Diana has advantages and abilities because of her father's divinity. Her prowess, skill, ambition, leadership, and ethic are entirely Amazon.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-14-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Mighty Member

To me Wonder Woman was created by a strange man with two women (which means if he was a she, he'd been called a whore), who apparently had a kink (among other kinks) of roping women, with the hopes of that his comic book would make boys want to obey women. A character that's always talked about how perfect she is because no man was involved in her birth.

Regardless of that or Diana's father is (both cases, Hippolyta IS HER PARENT.), I think she's a great character with some great stories with great messages in them. She has a big heart. She's about love and leads by example (at one time even reforming the god of war himself). Which she to me owes nothing to wether being an extra virgin golem or not. I really don't see how that makes her perfect, or why it matter so much when there are so many other things about her that truly matters.

And regarding Zeus. He is revealed to be a mother (of Athena) as well as a father in Azzarello's run. He also comes into use, as his nurture of -his many mothers- the amazons makes heaven into a matriarchy. Basically, if a man by nature won't give up his role/rule --why not nurture/rule him?
    Last edited by borntohula; 04-14-2016 at 01:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

I like the demigod reveal because it gives her a Secret Origin, makes her history a Myth, derives her powers from a unique fashion to most superheroes, and clouds the relationship between she and her mother.

Princess Diana is in the grand tradition of Alice in Wonderland, Dorothy in Oz, Wendy Darling, but heroically comes to the real world from fantasy lands, like the Little Mermaid and Rapunzel.

Just to clarify: Paris Hilton is privileged because of her father's wealth and power. Paris Hilton is FAMOUS because she chose to be stupid on camera. Similarly, Diana has advantages and abilities because of her father's divinity. Her prowess, skill, ambition, leadership, and ethic are entirely Amazon.
    demigod about zeus? because there is nothing unique about it

diana is double privileged both by amazons and by a powerful father, not a good way to convey woman empowerement
    Last edited by Tayswift; 04-14-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

The clay origin was feminine because it was accomplished entirely without a man. There's something mythological about goddesses imbuing clay with life. If they wanted to do a secret origin that added even more fairy tale to it, sure. Instead we were told that was a lie and her mother is the crafter of said lie. Then we find out what makes Diana special is which man is her father. Notice it's never a weaker man. Hippolyta didn't bed some mere human. What separates her power levels from the other Amazons is the power from her father.

True about Paris. I'll have to find a better analogy.

Unique superhero origin in the DCUniverse.

I can't think of any other human children of gods of myth in DC. Wonder Girl Cassandra doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDiana View Post
    The clay origin was feminine because it was accomplished entirely without a man. There's something mythological about goddesses imbuing clay with life. If they wanted to do a secret origin that added even more fairy tale to it, sure. Instead we were told that was a lie and her mother is the crafter of said lie. Then we find out what makes Diana special is which man is her father. Notice it's never a weaker man. Hippolyta didn't bed some mere human. What separates her power levels from the other Amazons is the power from her father.
    I think ya'll have a horrible opinion of Hippolyte. This is a woman who defied paradigms to lead a tribe of women, whose devotion to her gods rewarded her and her people immortality and safe territory, whose ambitions and fury attracted and seduced the king of her gods, whose force of personality decreed that her sin be stricken from history for the sake of her child.

Yeah yeah, Zeus is a god and whoopee that's where strength, speed, and flight come from... Hippolyte is the source of Diana's real superpowers: leadership, creativity, faith, diplomacy, philosophy.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-14-2016 at 02:08 PM.

you guys should read Y: the last man on earth

and a man involved in the conception of a feminine comic character is not an evil plot to overtake a feminist character and opress women

[QUOTE=CRaymond;1941365]Unique superhero origin in the DCUniverse.

I can't think of any other human children of gods of myth in DC. Wonder Girl Cassandra doesn't count. [QOUTE]

Why doesn't Cassandra count? Her mother had an affair with Zeus and hid it from her daughter. That's where she gets her powers.

Grail also now has the same origin. Her father is Darkseid and the source of her powers.

I think ya'll have a horrible opinion of Hippolyte. This is a woman who defied paradigms to lead a tribe of women, whose devotion to her gods rewarded her and her people immortality and safe territory, whose ambitions and fury attracted and seduced the king of her gods, whose force of personality decreed that her sin be stricken from history for the sake of her child.

Yeah yeah, Zeus is a god and whoopee that's where strength, speed, and flight come from... Hippolyte is the source of Diana's real superpowers: leadership, creativity, faith, diplomacy, philosophy.
    Except those are things she learned. She also had a man trainer, Ares. Her abilities are from Zeus.

Cassandra's demigod-ness was written out in contemporary continuity. Grail is incredibly new and unlikely to survive Rebirth. Do you have any superheroes with Justice League status who are descended from a pantheon?

And I fail to understand why learned abilities are less important than genetic gifts. Batman is Batman because of the efforts he puts into being Batman. Superman is debated as infinitely powerful, but is admired because of his heart. Wonder Woman has divine superpowers but Amazonian training and ethos.

I was taught that what matters is you do with power not where it comes from.

Mighty Member

i somewhat wish morrison wrote his ww story where dr psycho is obsessed with diana over her extra virgin birth, and how she breaks it to him: how much more she is. making it up that she has a dad just make him less interested in her. thatd be one for the books