Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Correction: her old origin. Also, they were both elemental golems brought to life by magic. Its pretty straightforward.
    Seriously? Google must hate you...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Seriously? Google must hate you...
    What are you talking about??

What are you talking about??
    1st: "old" origin? What if I say that your precious new origin is the "temporary" origin?

2nd:
    Human (myth) : clay (or something else) becomes a living, breathing, flesh-and-blood organism with a soul. No more clay, but a human.
    Living object: a thing becomes a living thing, but its "body" is the same inorganic thing as before.
    Golem : same as living object, but it's animated, not living. No soul.

This is pretty straightforward.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    That's kind of exactly the opposite of what the Wonder Woman comics have been saying since Marston first created them.

I get your opinion and respect it, but in terms of the Wonder Woman universe, women have never needed to depend on men -- while in the overall scope of comics, women have almost exclusively depended on men.
    I see the situation with the Amazons as something that came out of necessity. Personally, I can't get behind the idea that they're better off without men (which is the impression that I get sometimes). But I'm also not implying that they can't make it without men. Like I said earlier, there should be a balanced approach to their philosophy.
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 04-18-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    1st: "old" origin? What if I say that your precious new origin is the "temporary" origin?

2nd:
    Human (myth) : clay (or something else) becomes a living, breathing, flesh-and-blood organism with a soul. No more clay, but a human.
    Living object: a thing becomes a living thing, but its "body" is the same inorganic thing as before.
    Golem : same as living object, but it's animated, not living. No soul.

This is pretty straightforward.
    First: As a matter of FACT, this is now her origin. End of story. The clay origin is NO LONGER her origin. And given that she's going to be Zeus's daughter in the movies, I'd say that this is going to be the case for a long while to come

Second:
    (a) as a matter of SCIENCE, we know that humans are NOT made of clay. That's just fact.
    (b) Here's the wikipedia page for golem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem. Nowhere does it say that there is a requirement that golems have no soul. The only requirement is that they are made out of previously inanimate material

So, maybe you should do some Googling.

Mighty Member

We don't know her cinematic origin yet

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    We don't know her cinematic origin yet
    They came out with official descriptions of the characters in the cinematic universe a while back and yes, Diana is the daughter of Zeus in the movies.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/17...er-is-zeus.htm

Mighty Member

They came out with official descriptions of the characters in the cinematic universe a while back and yes, Diana is the daughter of Zeus in the movies.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/17...er-is-zeus.htm
    That was in 2014 and there have been plenty of new developments since then not to mention Snyder purposely having wonder woman featured in awl way that allowed Jenkins to have as much control as possible so that isnt realiable and we still do not know what her origin is

BANNED

That was in 2014 and there have been plenty of new developments since then not to mention Snyder purposely having wonder woman featured in awl way that allowed Jenkins to have as much control as possible so that isnt realiable and we still do not know what her origin is
    I hope you're right because I like the clay/earth origin better. I also feel like they should borrow heavily from Wonder Woman's characterization in the animated movie. She was a good example of the balanced approach I feel should be taken with her feminist iconicity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    2) We had two Hercules movies in 2014 neither of which were well recieved. None of the Percy Jackson movies have done well critically or commercially despite similar origins. I think this puts a pin in your argument of the god origins being keys to success. They're familiar but not automatically superior.
    Wouldn't the fact that none of those films were very good (and some of them were truely aweful) have more to do with that than there being a son of Zeus in them?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I hope you're right because I like the clay/earth origin better. I also feel like they should borrow heavily from Wonder Woman's characterization in the animated movie. She was a good example of the balanced approach I feel should be taken with her feminist iconicity.
    I personally did not like the animated movie very much hopefully they borrow bits from some of my favorite comics and end up telling their own interesting story as well

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, there's been nothing to suggest that they're going back on the demigod origin. They've stated multiple times that this is going to be her origin in the movies. To pretend anything else is the case is just living in denial.

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/13/wond...man-confirmed/

And this article is actually from last month: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3842432
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-18-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Wouldn't the fact that none of those films were very good (and some of them were truely aweful) have more to do with that than there being a son of Zeus in them?
    I never said they were bad because they had sons of gods in them. I was simply pointing out how such origins aren't automatically superior or guarantees of a successful story.

Mighty Member

Yeah, there's been nothing to suggest that they're going back on the demigod origin. They've stated multiple times that this is going to be her origin in the movies. To pretend anything else is the case is just living in denial.

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/13/wond...man-confirmed/

And this article is actually from last month: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3842432
    no its not. that article you posted is from 2014 also and the more recent one doesnt cite anything to prove its point so more than likely its going off of that one line from someone in 2014 who i dont think is even dealing with her solo film

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Allow me to share my opinions on feminism briefly. Female empowerment shouldn't be about being completely independent of men. There's a balance, and power that skews too far masculine or feminine is out of balance. Males and females need each other. Does Superman having a mother make him any less of a man? I'd argue that because he even had Martha Kent as a foster mom that helped nurture him into becoming the hero he is today. I know some people don't agree with this but I believe males and females were created to be dependent on each other. Feminism should be about making sure the balance of power doesn't lean to far to the masculine or feminine; there shouldn't be a schism or contention between the two sides. I'm all for Wonder Woman's clay origin because it felt original but if someone wants to find a way to make the clay origin a purely feminine origin (or excluding the help of any male) that would be a bad idea in my opinion. Wonder Woman would be an unbalanced person/character in my opinion. Let's not forget also that even her current father Zeus has a mother.
    the thing is comics aren't balanced on women and men roles. and wonder woman is meant to be a female empowerment narrative, so it is pretty ok left men ou of father/mentors role.