Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    The main Wonder Woman book simply doesn't sell nearly as well as Batman or Superman. Crossovers work by having a top selling book lead readers into picking up smaller books.
    Correction: the main Wonder Woman book simply doesn't sell nearly as well as Batman. She's not lagging that far behind the main Superman book.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swing kinker View Post
    Meaning image comics mentality of single minded direction. Superheroes can't have wife's/husband's because they can't be happy. Image had the mindset of pouches and guns for everyone,nothing else. It was a heavy handed and somewhat rubbish comparison I'm aware now I've written it out ha. Point being a single minded view from a meddling editor stifles writers
    What part of Image is any of that, even? Image books have had marriages, husbands, wives, families, etc, since the first years of the company. They also had plenty of generally happy superheroes and characters. Grunge was pretty happy most of the time. Dragon's as happy as any fictional cop, maybe happier than most of them.

I'm glad you came around to it, but really, it doesn't even hold up for the mid-90s Image in comparison to any other American comics publisher at the time. Added to which, as Carabas said, there's no real connection with cold, micro-managing editors-in-chief, either.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member swing kinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    What part of Image is any of that, even? Image books have had marriages, husbands, wives, families, etc, since the first years of the company. They also had plenty of generally happy superheroes and characters. Grunge was pretty happy most of the time. Dragon's as happy as any fictional cop, maybe happier than most of them.

I'm glad you came around to it, but really, it doesn't even hold up for the mid-90s Image in comparison to any other American comics publisher at the time. Added to which, as Carabas said, there's no real connection with cold, micro-managing editors-in-chief, either.
    We already established it was a tired and rubbish comment.......cheers though

Double post

When was the last time talent really did have a lot of freedom on Bat-stuff, do we think? Even the O'Neil Era seems to have had such a strong editorial vision, complete with diktats and limitations.

We already established it was a tired and rubbish comment.......cheers though
    I didn't realize you'd come all the way around. Right, then.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Is Tynion really that bad? I keep seeing people dissing him and I don't understand why.
    In a way, overall he's not "bad", but he's just mediocre to adequate at best. (It's not quite at Scott Lobdell levels of consistently below average, but it's just so . . . eh.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In a way, overall he's not "bad", but he's just mediocre to adequate at best. (It's not quite at Scott Lobdell levels of consistently below average, but it's just so . . . eh.)
    Then it's a bit odd to me how overblown the complaints are (overblown complaints from comic fans? No way!). I think the only thing of his I've read is B&RE and that wasn't terrible, but based on the number and consistency of the complaints I've seen, I thought he'd written or done something pretty heinous.

There seems to be a disconnect here, is all.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

When was the last time talent really did have a lot of freedom on Bat-stuff, do we think? Even the O'Neil Era seems to have had such a strong editorial vision, complete with diktats and limitation.
    With that said many of the people who worked under Denny are incredibly positive about him. Alan Grant in particular who is a very hard headed man

With that said many of the people who worked under Denny are incredibly positive about him. Alan Grant in particular who is a very hard headed man
    Very true. I didn't mean to imply O'Neil was insanely restrictive, or anything.

Very true. I didn't mean to imply O'Neil was insanely restrictive, or anything.
    No I know but I think editors have to strike that difficult balance of being authoritative but a!so al!ow for freedom of art. Denny seemed to manage that without much ego unlike DD. Certainly seems that way anyway and I could be wrong but several accounts suggest otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Then it's a bit odd to me how overblown the complaints are (overblown complaints from comic fans? No way!). I think the only thing of his I've read is B&RE and that wasn't terrible, but based on the number and consistency of the complaints I've seen, I thought he'd written or done something pretty heinous.

There seems to be a disconnect here, is all.
    Or it may be more like you've only read his tolerable stuff and luckily missed things he wrote that people really loathed.

BANNED

The only thing some fans really loathed was Shiva going down easily against Jason, that`s it. His RATHO run had pacing and plot flaws but it`s nothing unique in terms of how bad a run can be. What an exagerattion.

His work on Eternal is up to standard with most crossovers around and his Batman vs TMNT is definatly enjoyable.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 04-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Have to admit I think he's a perfectly solid writer. Never really had a problem with any of his stuff. Didn't know about the Shiva right so yea that's a bit odd. Who knows who's idea that was though tbf, writers are often forced to write things they then get heat for. His batman/tmnt crossover is a lot of fun and he's still a young lad.