Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What about a CGI batman on Adult Swim or Netflix? A more mature Batman with the actual bat- family. And by CGI, I mean Arkham Knight caliber CGI cut-scenes, not Beware the Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Shadow View Post
    What about a CGI batman on Adult Swim or Netflix? A more mature Batman with the actual bat- family. And by CGI, I mean Arkham Knight caliber CGI cut-scenes, not Beware the Batman.
    That would be awesome but that kind of CG is expensive.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Shadow View Post
    Beware's CG was pretty solid, even if it had the same issues that most CG cartoons have with limited models and such. But it's the type of CG that is far more easier to do on a TV budget then Arkham-CG would be.

Batman will be in Justice League: Action (obv), and I look forward to seeing how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    I would love to see an entire animated series based on Bruce Timm's "Strange Days" animated short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFwOS2R9o_8
    That would be great -- I even liked that it was in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Beware's CG was pretty solid, even if it had the same issues that most CG cartoons have with limited models and such. But it's the type of CG that is far more easier to do on a TV budget then Arkham-CG would be.
    As an example, South Park is all CGI. It looks like the characters are paper cut-outs, but it's actually all done with CGI.

Mighty Member

We'll see how welcoming Cartoon Network is to the next DC cartoon first. But if you need an animated Batman fix, there's the series of Batman Unlimited movies and shorts. The latter can be easily found on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How did Batman mistreat the last Batman animated series?

Beware the Batman premiered two weeks after CN finally gave the release date with little to no commercials. They aired it for 11 episodes with no reruns and ads before it was abruptly pulled, with no plans to bring it back. After that, Toonami grabbed it to air the remaining episodes, but by that time they had leaked to Amazon UK's streaming service. Toonami aired the new episodes late at night, and just as it was getting ratings and moving up the time-slot, CN wrote off the show as a loss and sold the airing rights for a tax break, forcing Toonami to air the remaining episodes at a last minute marathon since CN didn't bother to tell them.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Can't they just do a Netflix series?

I'd love to see the pitched (and then canceled) Batman: No Man's Land series happen. It was too dark for little kids, so it didn't go thru, but Netflix wouldn't have that issue.

BANNED

I've seen the batman unlimited shorts...they aren't good and the movies seem just as bad

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    because the last batman cartoon got mistreated horribly by batman and since then talks of another one have been non existent
    How did Batman mistreat the last Batman animated series?

Beware the Batman premiered two weeks after CN finally gave the release date with little to no commercials. They aired it for 11 episodes with no reruns and ads before it was abruptly pulled, with no plans to bring it back. After that, Toonami grabbed it to air the remaining episodes, but by that time they had leaked to Amazon UK's streaming service. Toonami aired the new episodes late at night, and just as it was getting ratings and moving up the time-slot, CN wrote off the show as a loss and sold the airing rights for a tax break, forcing Toonami to air the remaining episodes at a last minute marathon since CN didn't bother to tell them.
    But that wasn't Batman's fault.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Can't they just do a Netflix series?

I'd love to see the pitched (and then canceled) Batman: No Man's Land series happen. It was too dark for little kids, so it didn't go thru, but Netflix wouldn't have that issue.
    Netflix has barely dipped its toes into the action cartoon. They're going to start with Voltron and we still have to see if they'll do season three of Young Justice first.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    what other options do they have?

Nickelodeon? look at the mess they caused with avatar and TMNT

Disney? We'd have a gravity falls problem with random breaks that last months

Discovery Family? Would be on way too early in the morning
    Nick has it's own issues, TMNT is doing well over there, though I wouldn't think of putting a DC show on Nick due to them also having a "this needs to be goofy" mindset they've been having too.

Disney could work but it has a deal with marvel, for a while it was airing reruns of Batman the animated series. Gravity falls was more on the line of the series getting animated rather then disney. They let the series do what it needed to to tell it's story.

If Discovery was still the Hub owned by Hasbro, I would say a resounding Yes! I think Hasbro was working on trying to get DC to do a show for them when Discovery pulled the plug and bought the station back.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    WB needs their own cartoon channel but with CN, Nick and Boomerang I don't think the cable companies would want to fit another channel into in an already overburdened line-up of channels. Probably would have to go to a streaming channel all its own. I'm sure they have a huge catalog of old cartoons to supplement any new stuff. Not sure if a lot of people will pay for such a streaming service or maybe it could be supported with commercials within the cartoons similar to Hulu.
    If they worked with Hasbro getting one they could have that. streaming could work but they have to look into what's the better option, the computer or Netflix, and you have to make sure to promote it.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But the Cartoon Network is Time Warner's cartoon channel. It's owned by the TBS division of Time Warner. They also own Boomerang. Why would the Warner Bros division create a yet another whole new channel just to show Batman?
    While CN is a division of Time Warner, it's under a different management team then DC is, and they operate under a different set up all together. It's why DC has to pitch the shows to the network like all other tv shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    It wouldn't just be Batman but all the DC cartoons that have been created. The old Fleischer Superman up to the 90s Superman. The Superman/Batman Hour leading to The New Adventures of Batman and Robin. Batman:The Animated Series. The Batman. Batman:The Brave and the Bold. Super Friends and its various versions. The Adventures of Superboy. Aquaman. Green Lantern and a long list of other DC comic series.

CN seems reluctant to show any DC cartoons that are dissimilar to Teen Titans Go! and Boomerang caters mainly to Hanna-Barbara cartoons.
    Sort of like how Hasbro was running new cartoons with a lot of it's older ones on the Hub, and DC has a very large catalog of animated series, plus, if they wanted to, they could pull in from other older Kids WB shows that aren't running anymore. CN Also is reluctant to get rid of the bee in their bonnet about only doing cartoons that are "comedic" for the 8 to 12 boy crowd. Anything showing smarts or that doesn't have a male lead is pulled usually from the air right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Honestly, I don't think we need another Batman solo cartoon. I'm glad they are doing Justice League Action instead, that way they can show off more characters from their universe then just Batman and his cast.
    I have a feeling that Justice League Action will be very much episodic. I hope, at least, that it will be like the Rescue Bots tv series where it can be watched by both age groups, and not just the younger set.

I'd like that to happen, too, but . . . does WB/DC have the rights to all those cartoons?
    How many might have been made where the company that produced them licensed the characters from DC so that WB/DC can't control the rights to running those programs?
    The following are the DC series that WB owns: Batman: The Animated Series Superman: The Animated Series The New Batman Adventures Batman Beyond Static Shock The Zeta Project Justice League Teen Titans Justice League Unlimited The Batman Krypto the Superdog Legion of Super Heroes Batman: The Brave and the Bold Young Justice Green Lantern: The Animated Series DC Nation Shorts Teen Titans Go! Beware the Batman Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles Vixen Justice League Action, Superman 1940s (public domain but they have the rights to all other aspects about that series)

We'll see how welcoming Cartoon Network is to the next DC cartoon first. But if you need an animated Batman fix, there's the series of Batman Unlimited movies and shorts. The latter can be easily found on YouTube.
    I trust CN as far as I can throw them. It seems more and more they're catering to a very selective crowd of kids and teens that really are the "lowest common denominator." right now save for a few gems on their station.

Didn't they pull that off with both Sym -bionic Titan and Generator Rex, jumping it around till they got it canned, same with thundercats and YJ, and Green lantern. They've been systematically getting rid of action shows, I'm surprised that Adventure time and Steven universe have lasted so long there given the whole "destroy all action oriented programming" mentality they've been running on.

Netflix has barely dipped its toes into the action cartoon. They're going to start with Voltron and we still have to see if they'll do season three of Young Justice first.
    Netflix is a decent choice but the cost is going up now and a lot of people aren't happy. As Odd as this might sound, what about Crunchyroll for a place to put it. Yes it's mostly an anime site but a lot of fans fall under both categories and probably would be happy to have DC animated series there. RWBY aired on CR and I would think that DC could find a happy home there for a good while. It would also help CR expand itself a bit more.

I'd love to see something in the same vein as the classic 90s one, Batman Beyond, or Justice league caliber of animation. Not a huge fan of the CG related stuff they had. It looked really bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    The following are the DC series that WB owns: Batman: The Animated Series Superman: The Animated Series The New Batman Adventures Batman Beyond Static Shock The Zeta Project Justice League Teen Titans Justice League Unlimited The Batman Krypto the Superdog Legion of Super Heroes Batman: The Brave and the Bold Young Justice Green Lantern: The Animated Series DC Nation Shorts Teen Titans Go! Beware the Batman Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles Vixen Justice League Action, Superman 1940s (public domain but they have the rights to all other aspects about that series)
    Does WB/DC outright own the Static Shock animated series?
    WB/DC doesn't own the character; that's a Milestone property. So even if WB/DC produced the Static Shock animated series, I don't know what control / usage of the series would be like.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Just to clear the air a little... is it possible that this isn't a case of "Every channel now makes cartoons for dumb people like kids" and more "I want shows like I watched as a kid, and I want them to feel like they felt when I was a kid?"
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Just to clear the air a little... is it possible that this isn't a case of "Every channel now makes cartoons for dumb people like kids" and more "I want shows like I watched as a kid, and I want them to feel like they felt when I was a kid?"
    I can't say I disagree. In fact, I can say I totally agree.

I also liked Beware the Batman and wish it had been renewed for a 2nd season...and I blame Cartoon Network!