Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Atom (Ryan Choi)

21 7.75%
  • Katana (Tatsu Yamashiro)

56 20.66%
  • Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)

107 39.48%
  • Acomplished Perfect Physician (Yao Fei)

1 0.37%
  • August General in Iron (Fang Zhifu)

3 1.11%
  • Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

32 11.81%
  • Green Arrow (Connor Hawke)

17 6.27%
  • OMAC (Kevin Kho)

3 1.11%
  • Green Lantern (Kai Ro)

3 1.11%
  • I Ching

2 0.74%
  • Thunder (Gan Williams)

2 0.74%
  • Lightning (Tavis Williams)

1 0.37%
  • Other

23 8.49%
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Yeah but you can't ask for representation and then have it one-sided. Villains/adversaries/antagonist matter and are just as valid as heroes. I'm a black man and don't get offended at the idea of black villains. I embrace it.
    No one is saying not to have Asian villains (although less stereotypical ones would be nice) just that DC does indeed have a number of Asian villains and Asian heroes don't get that much focus. Hell, Ra's al Ghul has been far more prominent than most DC Asian heroes.

I don't mind more Asian villians, I just want them to be less one note caricatures. Make them as interesting as their white counterparts.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't mind more Asian villians, I just want them to be less one note caricatures. Make them as interesting as their white counterparts.
    Yeah, at least have them be on the level of a Darkseid-type villain

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hnnnng this is cute! In Tumblr there's a 18 year old Chinese American named Marcus and he just lost his mind seeing the announcement of Monkey Prince ^^

The character design is now his header :3333

Yeah but you can't ask for representation and then have it one-sided. Villains/adversaries/antagonist matter and are just as valid as heroes. I'm a black man and don't get offended at the idea of black villains. I embrace it.
    The issue is that there is a really bad history in comics and pop culture of the evil Asian (“foreigner”) villain, most famously Fu Manchu. Obviously things were very bad during the WWII era. I think focusing less on that trope as well as the “Dragon Lady” stereotypical character would be much better. There are so few prominent Asian superheroes. I would much prefer the comics industry focus on creating some more notable heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Hnnnng this is cute! In Tumblr there's a 18 year old Chinese American named Marcus and he just lost his mind seeing the announcement of Monkey Prince ^^

That’s awesome! Really hope the character catches on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

It can be too easy to overlook examples like this one, but they really do showcase that rep like this really does matter. It mattered then and it matters now. And it will continue to matter going forward.

Who got offended? All anyone said is Asian heroes rarely get focus. So let's just focus on that FOR NOW.

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/ex...series-the-cw/

Ghostmaker is rumored to get a TV show on the CW. It seems to be another Naomi/Yara Flor situation. Where DC is looking to develop a show on a newly introduced minority character. I'm curious how they'll beef him up as Ghostmaker is more flash than substance in Tynion's Batman run. It would be cool if they set it in Singapore than the states but that feels unlikely unless its animated.

I believe he came from Singapore unless I'm mistaken.

Astonishing Member

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/ex...series-the-cw/

Ghostmaker is rumored to get a TV show on the CW. It seems to be another Naomi/Yara Flor situation. Where DC is looking to develop a show on a newly introduced minority character. I'm curious how they'll beef him up as Ghostmaker is more flash than substance in Tynion's Batman run. It would be cool if they set it in Singapore than the states but that feels unlikely unless its animated.

I believe he came from Singapore unless I'm mistaken.
    I dunno, man. Gotta disagree there. I feel Ghost-Maker is more substance than people/readers might be willing to give the character credit for. In truth, them potentially shopping for a series staring Ghost-Maker is genius.

Character is kind of genius himself, really, and the more we learn of him and the more we see of him, the cooler and more dynamic he turns out to be. I think it wise that they'd be on the idea of capitalizing on a Ghost-Maker series, because it means that they're keen enough to see Ghost-Maker's potential. And he definitely has mad potential, which his time in Tynion's Batman has really shown.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I dunno, man. Gotta disagree there. I feel Ghost-Maker is more substance than people/readers might be willing to give the character credit for. In truth, them potentially shopping for a series staring Ghost-Maker is genius.

Character is kind of genius himself, really, and the more we learn of him and the more we see of him, the cooler and more dynamic he turns out to be. I think it wise that they'd be on the idea of capitalizing on a Ghost-Maker series, because it means that they're keen enough to see Ghost-Maker's potential. And he definitely has mad potential, which his time in Tynion's Batman has really shown.
    I'm not against him getting a show, I'm just being skeptical off it. He hasn't really caught my eye yet but I'm curious about him.

His problems are actually similar to Naomi. Neither of them have many issues under the belt. So you're gonna have to build alot from scratch. It's an interesting challenge to me.

Sony's in a similar boat with most of the characters they have.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-11-2021 at 08:33 AM.

RCO001.jpg

i wish they had appeared on the series. i love the great 10.

Astonishing Member

I'm not against him getting a show, I'm just being skeptical off it. He hasn't really caught my eye yet but I'm curious about him.

His problems are actually similar to Naomi. Neither of them have many issues under the belt. So you're gonna have to build alot from scratch. It's an interesting challenge to me.

Sony's in a similar boat with most of the characters they have.
    I guess, in my case, this isn't something I see as a problem, since it's something that'll sort itself out as time goes on and we get more stories of them (i.e., what's going on now with Ghost-Maker, who still has an ongoing presence).

Astonishing Member

Love that Lil' Gotham art aesthetic!

Extraordinary Member

From Ram V and Audrey Mok's story in DC Festival of Heroes: The Asian Superhero Celebration