Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Atom (Ryan Choi)

21 7.75%
  • Katana (Tatsu Yamashiro)

56 20.66%
  • Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)

107 39.48%
  • Acomplished Perfect Physician (Yao Fei)

1 0.37%
  • August General in Iron (Fang Zhifu)

3 1.11%
  • Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

32 11.81%
  • Green Arrow (Connor Hawke)

17 6.27%
  • OMAC (Kevin Kho)

3 1.11%
  • Green Lantern (Kai Ro)

3 1.11%
  • I Ching

2 0.74%
  • Thunder (Gan Williams)

2 0.74%
  • Lightning (Tavis Williams)

1 0.37%
  • Other

23 8.49%
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Is Shoes/Cheshire Cat Lian Harper?
    I didn't think so at first but solicits make it possible....

I'm excited for the special now that I know a bit more about it. All those stories sound great.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-05-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm loving just about everything about this DC Festival of Heroes book! So much hype from this info here!

First, I'm already ready for Marcus/The Monkey Prince. I agree with the notion that a character like Marcus/Monkey Prince is way overdue from DC. I will always be down for more "Heroes and Legacies based on myths" Heroes that aren't the "typical" (and often whitewashed, even when not typical) grab-bag of myths. And with the creative team behind Marcus's/Monkey Prince's intro, things at least look to be off to a strong start.

Plus, I just love the design! I love how much energy and personality that exists between Marcus's two forms. As Marcus, you can see the character has a sense of unsureness and anxiousness about himself. He has sporty inclinations, but is otherwise "unassuming" and "normal" (at face-value, of course). Then we see the absolute glow-up that is Marcus's Monkey Prince form. As The Monkey Prince, Marcus takes after his namesake and boasts all the confidence, swagger, and, with his mask on, ferociousness he can muster. The Monkey Prince is rocking a clear physique now and definitely looks like he's loving every second of doing so, directly contrasting Marcus's sporty inclinations hidden behind an "unassuming" and anxious nature. And I'm all for the contemporary touch of Monkey Prince's sneakers! It's an example of streetwear as superhero (or superhero-esque) outfit actually working.

I'm definitely excited for Marcus, The Monkey Prince, and hope this isn't the last we see of him, by a longshot.

And I just love the choices overall of who's going to be here, both Asian and non-Asian. For starters, I'm intrigued about Shazam's inclusion in Marcus's story, and wonder if there'll be time to milk the comparison of Billy and Marcus having a literal duality of themselves. (In fact, now that I think of it, even if they don't focus on it in the 12-page story itself, I am confident that the choice of Shazam's presence is because of that duality shared between Marcus-Monkey Prince and Billy-Shazam.)

I'm super happy that Colin Wilkes, aka Abuse, aka Damian's OG "first male best friend" (long before Jon's conception) is finally going to appear again (outside of the realm of Lil' Gotham, to boot). I'm hoping they'll milk this chance for all its worth, especially since it seems that Colin will be commenting on Damian Wayne in some fashion.

Kong Kenan making a return alongside Connor Hawke is an excellent idea. Connor feels like the type who'd definitely be able to get along with Kenan, to the point where I could see them as contemporaries (even if they technically wouldn't be, if we go strictly by chronology). It'll be great to see both again. Also, love that this story focuses on part of Connor's mom's side of the family, giving us readers the chance to explore his Korean roots. Connor's historic focus on his father's side of the family and his monastery life definitely didn't leave room made for his mother's side. I hope that one day we can do the same and explore his Black roots, too.

Absolutely hyped for Tai Pham making a comic appearance! I'm curious how they'll play with it, continuity-wise. Still, I've wanted this to be a thing for some time, so I'm for it happening, and for it happening again afterwards, also.

Cool that Cyborg and Blue Beetle are a part of Katana's venture. I'm curious as to the catalyst for such a thing, though I'll be fine if that's not explored specifically. Just glad they're a part of it.

Similar to us getting the chance to explore Connor's Korean heritage, I'm looking forward to us getting the chance to explore Emiko's Japanese heritage, too. (With how absolutely little it's been brought up, I'm curious as to how many readers know that Emi's Asian heritage is Japanese?) That'll be a good exploration, especially the duality of being Japanese-American. (Even on these very forums, I've learned of personal stories of how hard it can be to be Asian-American with familial connections with one's Asian country.)

Last but not least, it'll be good to finally see Ryan Choi stretch his stuff as The Atom again. He's been missing since Rebirth's JLA ended (loved that book, and miss it, too). I hope we can get a glimpse of what he's been up to. Though, it's good just to see him after all this time. I won't fuss if his story is just him fighting his villain.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Cassandra Cain as Batgirl? Ryan Choi getting his own story?! Grace, Kenan and Connor coming back?! Katana teaming with Victor and Jaime?! That all sounds amazing!
    Total agreement! I'm definitely looking forward to this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Monkey Prince reminds me of the time Marvel announced the Monkey King as their next big hero, only to do absolutely nothing with him. Both are inspired by the same legend and got similar articles about their debut.
    Welp. Definitely hope DC doesn't drop the ball, especially not that hard. At the most cynical, it wouldn't be hard for DC to do better than Marvel, since all DC would need to do is actually follow up this intro with more stories about and featuring Marcus/The Monkey Prince.

I selfishly want the new South Asian Swamp Thing to not be stuck as Swamp Thing. If he can shift between forms, I'd prefer that over him just being Swamp Thing 24/7. I'd be ok with some kinda day/night structure like Immortal Hulk.

There was news of a potential POC John Constantine inspired by Riz Ahmed. I selfishly want that but I'd pitch it as a reincarnation storyline. Classic John Constantine dies in one of his misadventures and wakes up 20 years later in a British South Asian's body. It's a twist on an origin story Tropes and a way to have your cake and eat it to.

I could buy it, John seems like the kind of guy to pull a reincarnation to avoid hell. If not that then maybe it would be Constantine's son, because its not like its impossible that Constantine has an illegitimate child out there.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I selfishly want the new South Asian Swamp Thing to not be stuck as Swamp Thing. If he can shift between forms, I'd prefer that over him just being Swamp Thing 24/7. I'd be ok with some kinda day/night structure like Immortal Hulk.

There was news of a potential POC John Constantine inspired by Riz Ahmed. I selfishly want that but I'd pitch it as a reincarnation storyline. Classic John Constantine dies in one of his misadventures and wakes up 20 years later in a British South Asian's body. It's a twist on an origin story Tropes and a way to have your cake and eat it to.
    Similar in essence to Victor Stone, I completely understand the want of having Levi's Swamp Thing form being a transformed form, i.e., one that he can transform into and out from.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I could buy it, John seems like the kind of guy to pull a reincarnation to avoid hell. If not that then maybe it would be Constantine's son, because its not like its impossible that Constantine has an illegitimate child out there.
    Spurrier actually did set that up in his run on hellblazer.

Ultimate Member

Is there any greatly prominent DC hero of South Asian or Southeast Asian descent?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is there any greatly prominent DC hero of South Asian or Southeast Asian descent?
    There was Solstice but I guess now there's Rose Wilson, Clownhunter and Tai Pham. Outside of comics, there's young justice's Artemis.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The only one in recent memory I can think of is Bao Pham aka Clownhunter from Batman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    There was Solstice but I guess now there's Rose Wilson, Clownhunter and Tai Pham. Outside of comics, there's young justice's Artemis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The only one in recent memory I can think of is Bao Pham aka Clownhunter from Batman.
    Ok. I know Rose Wilson a little. Hopefully some can rise up in more prominence, maybe not to Hal Jordan levels but at least be as popular as Jaime Reyes

Sidenote, I wish the development Priest did for Rose's hmong background didn't get ignored the moment he left Deathstroke. Having her get a new costume and weapon showed so much growth. Now she's back to her TT costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Monkey Prince reminds me of the time Marvel announced the Monkey King as their next big hero, only to do absolutely nothing with him. Both are inspired by the same legend and got similar articles about their debut.
    I don't even remember him .

Extraordinary Member

Presumably for the Asian Superhero Special

https://twitter.com/Trungles/status/1379534857370365957

So if DC's using Tai Pham for the special, are they adding him to the main universe?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    So if DC's using Tai Pham for the special, are they adding him to the main universe?
    He’s in the special. But he might be in another universe similar to Jess Chambers or Calvin Ellis.

If it were me, I’d make him apart of Earth-23, since His grandmother’s origin story can work with John Stewart there, but not with Hal.