Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Atom (Ryan Choi)

21 7.75%
  • Katana (Tatsu Yamashiro)

56 20.66%
  • Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)

107 39.48%
  • Acomplished Perfect Physician (Yao Fei)

1 0.37%
  • August General in Iron (Fang Zhifu)

3 1.11%
  • Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

32 11.81%
  • Green Arrow (Connor Hawke)

17 6.27%
  • OMAC (Kevin Kho)

3 1.11%
  • Green Lantern (Kai Ro)

3 1.11%
  • I Ching

2 0.74%
  • Thunder (Gan Williams)

2 0.74%
  • Lightning (Tavis Williams)

1 0.37%
  • Other

23 8.49%
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The most difficult part of finding Asian heroes is less that they're already rare but you almost never see male Asian superheroes. Plenty of female ones it seems like. With Ryan Choi being the biggest exception.

If I had to choose a favorite simply based on characters I've loved and read it'd probably be Element Woman who's Korean. And Traci 13 (not sure if her race was ever explicitly identified outside of AU's like Flashpoint where she was I believe Japanese? I'd have to re-read, I'm not certain)

I do think Thundermind and Ghost Fox Killer were my favorites of the Great 10.

Then there's Striker Z the actor, stuntman, member of the Power Company from Hong Kong (he never did get much use sadly in the series).

went Katana but I really like August General in Iron too.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

BANNED

I voted Cassandra Cain. She is my favorite female character among all the DCU female characters. She is such a badass.

My favorite is Dr. Light.

I think Kenan Kong is going to change the game, I see him being the NightWing of the Superman Family completely loved

Extraordinary Member

Kenji kong.
    DC to Premiere Chinese 'New Super-Man' Written by Gene Luen Yang
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am...n-yang-n547246

BANNED

I picked Katana, it's going to be interesting to see where the character goes in the next few years. Cass Cain was one of my gateways into comics so she will always have a place in my heart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    The most difficult part of finding Asian heroes is less that they're already rare but you almost never see male Asian superheroes. Plenty of female ones it seems like. With Ryan Choi being the biggest exception.
    Yeah, what's with the weird female:male ratio with Asians in comics? It's only in comics, most popular Asian actors are male. And it has nothing to do with eroticized Asian women since Cassandra Cain and Katana, the most popular Asian DC characters, are very non-sexual. Here's hoping All New Superman paves the way for an interesting character. I voted for Katana, BTW, and I look forward to seeing her in the Suicide Squad film.

Extraordinary Member

NEW SUPER-MAN #1
    Written by GENE LUEN YANG
    Art and cover by VICTOR BOGDANOVIC
    Variant cover by BERNARD CHANG

"MADE IN CHINA" Chapter One: An impulsive act of heroism thrusts an arrogant young man into the limelight of Shanghai as China begins to form its own Justice League of powerful heroes. Rising from the ashes of The Final Days of Superman, award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang and on-the-rise art star Victor Bogdanovic introduce readers to Kong Kenan -- the New Super-Man! When the world needed a new hero, China made him!
    On sale JULY 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Last edited by mace11; 04-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

New Cover & Name For DC REBIRTH's NEW SUPER-MAN
    DC Comics has revealed a new cover for July's New Super-Man #1, and with that a revised name for the Chinese superhero. In an essay by Gene Luen Yang, the series writer describes how the character went from being called 'Kenji Kong' to Kenan Kong' to avoid the misconception that he didn't understand Japanese culture.

"There was a problem, of course. Kenji is a common Japanese name and this would probably cause some confusion, at least at first," Yang writes. "I was only thinking about how I’d make this character and his name work in the particular story I was going to write. I’d missed the forest for the trees."

After consulting with his editors, creators with ties to China, and his own parents, Yang settled on a new name: Kenan Kong.

"Ke means 'to overcome.' What could be more Super-Man than 'to overcome'?" The writer explained. "Nan means 'south.' Appropriate for a kid from Shanghai, since folks from Beijing like to call folks from Shanghai 'Southerners.'"

Read Yang's full statement on New Super-Man and the thought that went into the character and his name at DCComics.com.
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/04...ming-super-man
    http://www.newsarama.com/28894-new-c...super-man.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Yeah, what's with the weird female:male ratio with Asians in comics? It's only in comics, most popular Asian actors are male. And it has nothing to do with eroticized Asian women since Cassandra Cain and Katana, the most popular Asian DC characters, are very non-sexual. Here's hoping All New Superman paves the way for an interesting character. I voted for Katana, BTW, and I look forward to seeing her in the Suicide Squad film.
    At least on American TV--there are way more roles for asian women than men it seems. And when we have asian men they seem to be the nerdy tech guy types.

What, no love for Striker Z(Power Company), Claw(Primal Force),Element Woman, Karate Kid (Legion of Super-Heroes), Dragonmage (also LSH), Harmonia Li (LSH) and Chemical Kid (LSH-he's from another world, but has asian features - does that count?)?

I voted Katana with Dr Light being my #2 - I'm surprised she isn't faring better, though I bet she'd rank high if it were a top 5 list.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-18-2016 at 02:55 PM.

BANNED

Pretty good costume. I'd say it looks just enough like the main Superman costume, but it also stands on its own. Did they design a new logo? It's hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Anabyss View Post
    I think Kenan Kong is going to change the game, I see him being the NightWing of the Superman Family completely loved
    Superman does need his Nightwing and Red Hoo counterpart.

Well, I voted for OMAC, he was a "Totally Awesome Hulk" before Amadeus Cho was, but I also like Ryan Choi. I'm looking forward to Kenan Kong. He's got a cool costume.