Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Atom (Ryan Choi)

21 7.75%
  • Katana (Tatsu Yamashiro)

56 20.66%
  • Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)

107 39.48%
  • Acomplished Perfect Physician (Yao Fei)

1 0.37%
  • August General in Iron (Fang Zhifu)

3 1.11%
  • Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

32 11.81%
  • Green Arrow (Connor Hawke)

17 6.27%
  • OMAC (Kevin Kho)

3 1.11%
  • Green Lantern (Kai Ro)

3 1.11%
  • I Ching

2 0.74%
  • Thunder (Gan Williams)

2 0.74%
  • Lightning (Tavis Williams)

1 0.37%
  • Other

23 8.49%
Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Edited above.
    I put in Val Armorr.

Note- There is the asian white looking Val Armorr(the original version) and the recent rebooted east asian looking Val Armorr.
    I believe even the white-looking original was supposed to be biracial Asian (as his father, the crimelord Black Dragon, was Japanese), so, at least as Asian as Damien Wayne or Conner Hawke, even if he was usually depicted as just another white dude.

And then there was his replacement, , the second Karate Kid, who was more visibly Asian, and maybe needed to cut back on the bronzer, a tad.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 02-03-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Edited on last page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I believe even the white-looking original was supposed to be biracial Asian (as his father, the crimelord Black Dragon, was Japanese), so, at least as Asian as Damien Wayne or Conner Hawke, even if he was usually depicted as just another white dude.

And then there was his replacement, [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myg_(character)Myg, the second Karate Kid[/url], who was more visibly Asian, and maybe needed to cut back on the bronzer, a tad.
    Yes the the original Val Armorr is bi-racial(his father looks east asian).
    The original Val Armorr version is a white biracial asian.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-10-2022 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Exactly

yeah, but if the heroes haven't been as well represented, it makes sense to focus on them more
    Sadly it's not just DC that discriminates. The fans do as well. Robin Damian Wayne has been one of DC's most prominent Asian heroes for decades now but fans on this very Asian Appreciation thread dis avow him because he is mixed/doesn't look Asian enough!
    [someone on this thread actually said that on this very thread when the character was finally mentioned halfway into this 30+ pages long thread celebrating Asian characters of the DCU]

That is disheartening and racist.

How can we call out DC for not celebrating Asian Heroes when we don't ourselves?

Even the poll at the start of this thread doesn't recognise him yet he far more well known and visible than any of the characters included.
    Last edited by Fergus; 04-10-2022 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Sadly it's not just DC that discriminates. The fans do as well. Robin Damian Wayne has been one of DC's most prominent Asian heroes for decades now but fans on this very Asian Appreciation thread dis avow him because he is mixed/doesn't look Asian enough!
    [someone on this thread actually said that on this very thread when the character was finally mentioned halfway into this 30+ pages long thread celebrating Asian characters of the DCU]

That is disheartening and racist.

How can we call out DC for not celebrating Asian Heroes when we don't ourselves?

Even the poll at the start of this thread doesn't recognise him yet he far more well known and visible than any of the characters included.
    There are a lot of Asian characters beside Damian missing from that poll.

As for Damian's looks, frankly if DC doesn't acknowledge his Asian heritage, you can't be surprised if fans ignore it as well. Fans have no problem with Cass Cain, Rose Wilson and Connor Hawke who are also mixed race.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-10-2022 at 08:19 AM.

I may be a forever and always Green Arrow stan, but for me, there's really only one answer here. cce5bbfbfe91277eee833079601bf496.jpg
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Extraordinary Member

Damian is a brown asian and looks brown normally(with a near white look) then asiatic by the way.
    This reminds me of quake from marvel.
    Her father is white but her mother is asiatic but she is a brown asian.
    She looks brown(with a near white look).

You could say Damian has a look that could pass for both(brown and white) as well but i will stick to he looks abit more brown normally until i see more art.
    Of course sometimes Damian drawn to look more white or asian but i think his normal look is brown(with a near white look).
    Last edited by mace11; 04-10-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Damian is a brown asian and looks brown normally(with a near white look) then asiatic by the way.

You could say Damian has a look that could pass for both(brown and white) as well but i will stick to he looks abit more brown normally until i see more art.
    Of course sometimes Damian drawn to look more white or asian but i think his normal look is brown(with a near white look).
    Of course that's actually a big question. There's several different looks identifiable as "asian". for example, Cambodians and Japanese don't really look the same.

Some of these ladies are Japanese, some aren't. Can you guess which are?

ideally I like him dark enough to easily stand out from the 1st 3 Robins and bruce with features that hint at his Chinese ancestry.

Comics are a visual media and the artist has the ability to really capture the diverse and blended world we live in today and yet only a handful of artists keep in mind his heritage when they draw him.

Damian is often drawn to reflect just one side of heritage. They choices seem to be either darken his skin, give him facial features that reflect his Chinese heritage, give him green eyes like Talia or make him another dark haired, blued eyed Batboy.

Pick one.

There is no standard/typical look when it comes to mixed kids in the real world so really there is no 'correct way' they should look making the arguments of him being too white, too brown or whatever grip pointless.

However if the artist has the freedom and a variety of coloured pencils then might as well come up with something distinct to reflect his unique heritage.

The current Robin solo is the best attempt at showing his Asian, Middle Eastern and Scottish [I think] heritage I think.

He is darker skinned and his features can be identified as Asian.
    Last edited by Fergus; 04-11-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There are a lot of Asian characters beside Damian missing from that poll.

As for Damian's looks, frankly if DC doesn't acknowledge his Asian heritage, you can't be surprised if fans ignore it as well. Fans have no problem with Cass Cain, Rose Wilson and Connor Hawke who are also mixed race.
    As comic readers I'd think that since we all know the Al Ghuls and that Damian is Talia's kid we all know of his heritage. There's ambiguity surrounding Ra's and the family history but we do still have some details from the comics. We know that there is some Chinese and some Middle Eastern Heritage on the Al Ghul side.

Isn't that enough? Personally even when he is drawn very very pale, I've never considered Damian anything but a POC because the fact that he is Talia's kid is knowledge I possess. DC plays up his AlGhul side as much as his Wayne side.

I see your point on the names in the poll. I just excepted that since the character is in constant publication and has been highly visible [over exposed even] that he would be one of the first names that comes to mind when one thinks of Asian characters in the DCU.

Admittedly that was an assumption on my part that was strengthen by past debates/comments on Damian being viewed as too white so isn't really POC and doesn't count as representation since his characterisation doesn't embrace the culture/heritage [he is often shown to be a copy of Bruce]

Extraordinary Member

I have not seen enough art work of Damian but if Damian is usually drawn as white then he is meant to be white.
    He will be a white bi-racial asian like the original version of karate kid(Val).
    Last edited by mace11; 04-12-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I’m surprised that Grace wasn’t on the poll

Extraordinary Member

DC Comics Atom Makes His DC Multiverse Debut with McFarlane

A new DC Comics character has finally entered the DC Multiverse as McFarlane Toys unveils the arrival of Atom. Lun "Ryan" Choi is teaming up with The Flash as he joins the lineup for McFarlane's new 7" scale Page Puncher line. This figure is beautifully crafted with color popping red and blue suit, and it is a fun and newer DC Comics character to add to our growing Justice League roster. Atom will come with a pair of swappable hands, a display base, and a very unique attachable molecule power accessory. An exclusive and unique comic book will also be included, which you can only get with this figure. DC Comics Atom does feature a masked head sculpt, and I am curious if we will see an unmasked version later on or as a variant. Either way, it is great to see Atom enter the DC Multiverse and to see what adventures await him and The Flash. Page Punchers Atom is priced at $24.99, set for an October 2022 release, and pre-orders are live here.

"Born and raised in Hong Kong, Lun "Ryan" Choi studied under Ray Palmer at Ivy University. After a year, Ryan was told a life-changing secret: Ray Palmer was the superhero known as the Atom. For the next couple of years, Ryan aided the Atom's activities. When Palmer vanished one day, he left behind a spare size-changing belt with its own dwarf star lens for Ryan to use. As the new Atom, Ryan fights to protect people just as his mentor did and serves as a member of the Justice League of America."

To see and read more click link below.
    https://bleedingcool.com/collectible...ith-mcfarlane/

John Ridley on making Jace half black and half Asian.

I’m glad Kenan is back in Action Comics, hope his usage there will cement him as a permanent addition to the Superfamily and lead to a mini or something.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

So far, I think my favorites (most already mentioned in this thread) have been Striker Z (Daniel Tsang), Katana, Cassandra Cain, the Ray (Lucien Gates), Karate Kid 2 (Myg), Karate Kid (Val) and Dragonmage.