Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Atom (Ryan Choi)

21 7.75%
  • Katana (Tatsu Yamashiro)

56 20.66%
  • Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)

107 39.48%
  • Acomplished Perfect Physician (Yao Fei)

1 0.37%
  • August General in Iron (Fang Zhifu)

3 1.11%
  • Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

32 11.81%
  • Green Arrow (Connor Hawke)

17 6.27%
  • OMAC (Kevin Kho)

3 1.11%
  • Green Lantern (Kai Ro)

3 1.11%
  • I Ching

2 0.74%
  • Thunder (Gan Williams)

2 0.74%
  • Lightning (Tavis Williams)

1 0.37%
  • Other

23 8.49%
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

John Ridley on making Jace half black and half Asian.
    Legitimately beautiful! I love and appreciate all of this so very much.

John Ridley really has my goodwill. And frankly, his son's not wrong about the lack of Black Asian anybody in popular fiction, let alone among Superheros. So I'm down for a Blasian Jace.

I like it in principle even if I think the execution/implementation could've been a lot better and I feel might harm the idea in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m glad Kenan is back in Action Comics, hope his usage there will cement him as a permanent addition to the Superfamily and lead to a mini or something.
    Not a huge fan of the haircut they gave him between when #1050 was promoted and when it was released. I wonder if it was just to help differentiate all those Super people.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not a huge fan of the haircut they gave him between when #1050 was promoted and when it was released. I wonder if it was just to help differentiate all those Super people.
    Yeah, it's been pretty unanimous that people don't care for the haircut .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like it in principle even if I think the execution/implementation could've been a lot better and I feel might harm the idea in the long run.
    It might've been easier just to give Jace a half Asian kid in Future State. Hopefully Ridley gets a season 2 like Taylor did with Jon as it could pay off there.

Currently my favorite new character is Monkey Prince. I like City Boy in concept so I hope Greg Pak can explore him further.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-03-2023 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It might've been easier just to give Jace a half Asian kid in Future State. Hopefully Ridley gets a season 2 like Taylor did with Jon as it could pay off there.

Currently my favorite new character is Monkey Prince. I like City Boy in concept so I hope Greg Pak can explore him further.
    I’m hoping Taylor will add City Boy to the Titans lineup as it seems like Nightwing is keeping an eye on him.

Talking to cities is a cool power. I love Jack Hawksmoor but I don’t see him being used outside of the occasional Authority appearance.

Astonishing Member

The issue with doing the former is that that goes against the spirit of doing so in the first place. Especially since Jace is the one who's the hero and who's Batman.

Been behind my comic news, so I'm happy Tom Taylor's getting a Season 2 with Jon. Likewise to your comment, I hope John Ridley gets a Season 2 for Jace. He should, quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m hoping Taylor will add City Boy to the Titans lineup as it seems like Nightwing is keeping an eye on him.

Talking to cities is a cool power. I love Jack Hawksmoor but I don’t see him being used outside of the occasional Authority appearance.
    I rather get a miniseries focused on City Boy. Him being Dick's apprentice in TT wouldn't interest me unless he's in a roster of new characters that are the next generation Teen Titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    The issue with doing the former is that that goes against the spirit of doing so in the first place. Especially since Jace is the one who's the hero and who's Batman.

Been behind my comic news, so I'm happy Tom Taylor's getting a Season 2 with Jon. Likewise to your comment, I hope John Ridley gets a Season 2 for Jace. He should, quite frankly.
    Jace is the best of the Future State legacies and Ridley is acting in good faith with this twist. But Jace's run has had bad pacing so far. Bringing it in this late feels like a soap opera plot twist and there are other aspects i rather focus on. So if it happened sooner, I'd be less skeptical.

I guess the bigger problem with Jace is how much of Ridley's retcons were necessary. Jace was an existing character that Ridley added too. But Ridley's additions hurt Lucius as a character to other fans. I'm more neutral myself but Ridley focused too much on his past. It's weird because alot of problems Jace's run has, I feel like Ridley's run on Black Panther avoids.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-04-2023 at 04:56 AM.

How do you mean?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How do you mean?
    I get the feeling that part of the point of doing this was to reveal the main character and big identifiable hero of the story, aka Batman, as being a Black Asian Superhero.

While there wouldn't be anything wrong in and of itself for Jace to also eventually be shown to have a Black Asian protégé Superhero, saying that that would have been the better turn in place of revealing Jace's own Asian-American heritage would rather go against the spirit of this reveal. As it stands, Jace is here as Batman now; making a Blasian Hero sidekick/protege for him in a nebulous future that's not happening in the here-and-now over simply unveiling Jace as being a Blasian Hero who's actively the lead feels like it wouldn't be going all-in on the purpose and intent. Comparatively, doing that would feel noncommittal.

----
    Pardon the off-topic-ness this may veer into, please.

Jace is the best of the Future State legacies and Ridley is acting in good faith with this twist. But Jace's run has had bad pacing so far. Bringing it in this late feels like a soap opera plot twist and there are other aspects i rather focus on. So if it happened sooner, I'd be less skeptical.

I guess the bigger problem with Jace is how much of Ridley's retcons were necessary. Jace was an existing character that Ridley added too. But Ridley's additions hurt Lucius as a character to other fans. I'm more neutral myself but Ridley focused too much on his past. It's weird because alot of problems Jace's run has, I feel like Ridley's run on Black Panther avoids.
    Broadly speaking, Jace was still very much a blank-slate before Ridley. This is a twist, yes, of course. But not, I feel, one that's suddenly over-much in comparison to everything else we continue to learn about him and that he continues to learn about himself.

In regards to Lucius's fans? I dunno. I kinda don't want to dwell on that, because fans in that regard tend to holdfast. Maybe I've grown weary about fandom and certain kinds of recurring elements therein, so I don't really want to go walking on eggshells. But when I consider that Lucius has been more or less one-note and more of a plot-device (for lack of a better way to put it) than his own lived character, up until relatively recently in time, I can't help but question myself as to how much those referenced fans of Lucius are just fans of the idea of the role he was filling. For myself, I've been appreciating Ridley and others actually taking risks and letting Lucius be his own character, and realistically showcasing that he wouldn't necessarily be as glamorously perfect as the confines of his position in comics-past would permit him to be.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 02-06-2023 at 09:30 PM.

I get the feeling that part of the point of doing this was to reveal the main character and big identifiable hero of the story, aka Batman, as being a Black Asian Superhero.

While there wouldn't be anything wrong in and of itself for Jace to also eventually be shown to have a Black Asian protégé Superhero, saying that that would have been the better turn in place of revealing Jace's own Asian-American heritage would rather go against the spirit of this reveal. As it stands, Jace is here as Batman now; making a Blasian Hero sidekick/protege for him in a nebulous future that's not happening in the here-and-now over simply unveiling Jace as being a Blasian Hero who's actively the lead feels like it wouldn't be going all-in on the purpose and intent. Comparatively, doing that would feel noncommittal.

----
    Pardon the off-topic-ness this may veer into, please.

Broadly speaking, Jace was still very much a blank-slate before Ridley. This is a twist, yes, of course. But not, I feel, one that's suddenly over-much in comparison to everything else we continue to learn about him and that he continues to learn about himself.

In regards to Lucius's fans? I dunno. I kinda don't want to dwell on that, because fans in that regard tend to holdfast. Maybe I've grown weary about fandom and certain kinds of recurring elements therein, so I don't really want to go walking on eggshells. But when I consider that Lucius has been more or less one-note and more of a plot-device (for lack of a better way to put it) than his own lived character, up until relatively recently in time, I can't help but question myself as to how much those referenced fans of Lucius are just fans of the idea of the role he was feeling. For myself, I've been appreciating Ridley and others actually taking risks and letting Lucius be his own character, and realistically showcasing that he wouldn't necessarily be as glamorously perfect as the confines of his position in comics-past would permit him to be.
    I don't disagree but it's more a case of pacing. Ridley set up alot of cool setups that I would've preferred paying off sooner than later.

Without a followup it has the danger of falling to the wayside like Dick's Romani heritage.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-04-2023 at 07:50 AM.

In regards to Lucius's fans? I dunno. I kinda don't want to dwell on that, because fans in that regard tend to holdfast. Maybe I've grown weary about fandom and certain kinds of recurring elements therein, so I don't really want to go walking on eggshells. But when I consider that Lucius has been more or less one-note and more of a plot-device (for lack of a better way to put it) than his own lived character, up until relatively recently in time, I can't help but question myself as to how much those referenced fans of Lucius are just fans of the idea of the role he was feeling. For myself, I've been appreciating Ridley and others actually taking risks and letting Lucius be his own character, and realistically showcasing that he wouldn't necessarily be as glamorously perfect as the confines of his position in comics-past would permit him to be.
    I guess to me it comes of less like making Lucius his own character and more just making him more unlikeable (which isn't just a Ridley Batman problem), though your mileage may vary.

I feel like Jace being Blasian is going to conflict a lot with the emphasis on him being part of the Fox Family.

BANNED

This is the first I'm hearing of this reveal, since I haven't been reading anything associated with Future State and don't plan to. I do think the story behind the reveal is touching though, and I can't help but think of this guy from The Originals as the live action version of the character.

Charles Michael Davis as Marcel Gerard

Between Cassandra, Damian, and Jace, it seems like the Batfamily is the DC franchise with the most Asian representation, with Superman and Flash being next, I think.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing of this reveal, since I haven't been reading anything associated with Future State and don't plan to. I do think the story behind the reveal is touching though, and I can't help but think of this guy from The Originals as the live action version of the character.

Charles Michael Davis as Marcel Gerard

Between Cassandra, Damian, and Jace, it seems like the Batfamily is the DC franchise with the most Asian representation, with Superman and Flash being next, I think.
    Green Arrow family has Connor Hawke, Red Arrow, Cheshire Cat and now the new Red Canary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Green Arrow family has Connor Hawke, Red Arrow, Cheshire Cat and now the new Red Canary.
    Fair play!