Default Question about the new post-Rebirth Batman Title

Someone over on the Superman forum said that the new Batman Rebirth title is going to focus on Batman and that we won't see the rest of the "Bat family" like Damian or some other Robin or whatever. I wanted to confirm that with you guys and make sure it's correct.

To be honest, one of the big turnoffs to be with modern Batman is his crime fighting preteen son, and, to a lesser extent, his tendency to wind up with various teenage Robins.

If I could really just reading an on-going series at the new DC price point of $2.99 (Starting in late May) where Batman is just in the batcave and sweeping the streets of Gotham at night for bad guys, with a little assistance from Alfred and/or Jim Gordon, I could see giving that a try, especially if I wind up dropping my Superman subs, which it looks like I will, since they are replacing the new52 Superman, who I liked, with SuperDad and his preteen crimefighting son (The less I say on that, the better. Don't get me started.).

Traditionally, that's what I've liked, either the loner Batman, Batman in the Justice League, or Batman teaming with Superman (Hey, like I said, I like Superman [At least the current version, no comment on SuperDad]). Right now my only "Batman" sub is the Batman-Superman comic, which is going to be discontinued by DC Comics after the May issue.

But I don't want to sub and then find myself stuck paying for and reading a story about Damian or a new (or old) teenage Robin coming back or whatever. I get that they will be "in the universe", but I'd only really be interested in a book that makes passing references when necessary to maintain continuity, and not a book where they are regular or frequently recurring characters. After all, if I wanted to read a book about a superhero's 10 year old son fighting crime (And I don't), I'd just stick with my Superman subs.

Astonishing Member

It's too early to tell before we're a couple of issues in, but whilst it seems unlikely that Red Hood, Nightwing or Batgirl - for instance - will feature heavily in the new "Batman" book, from what we know so far it's fair to expect at least a little Damian and quite a bit of Duke - a relatively new character who's just on the cusp of turning "sidekick".

It sounds like maybe Snyder's "All Star Batman" will be more your kind of thing - it's opening with Batman and Two Face locked into each other's company outside of Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    It's too early to tell before we're a couple of issues in, but whilst it seems unlikely that Red Hood, Nightwing or Batgirl - for instance - will feature heavily in the new "Batman" book, from what we know so far it's fair to expect at least a little Damian and quite a bit of Duke - a relatively new character who's just on the cusp of turning "sidekick".

It sounds like maybe Snyder's "All Star Batman" will be more your kind of thing - it's opening with Batman and Two Face locked into each other's company outside of Gotham.
    Thanks. Any word on pricing for All Star Batman? I was reading some articles about it after I read your response, and it sounds like a book I might want to try, but it also sounds like a book that might blow away DC Comics' new $2.99 price point for most books and wind up costing something I don't want to spend, like $4.99 or $5.99, because of the "All Star" title and possible expanded page count and such.

At $2.99, with no Damian or underage crime fighters, it'd definitely be worth buying the first issue in August and seeing whether or not it gets me hooked, a good deal and in continuity also, which is a plus as long as the annoying elements of being in continuity don't kick in. But I don't know if it's $2.99 or not.

I have my doubts that for two years we see them separately ..

But I think that after comics of Batman Eternal, Batman/Robin Eternal, Endgame, Grayson, etc.. with batfamily.. It is possible that DC wants them separately a few months.. Once rebirth begin.. I not trust too see them together until 2017. Only separated.

I think the same with new52 superman .. The presence of Superdad do not bother me, even I see his series..until now.. he has disappointed me.

I see JL 1 (rebirth) and costs keep their eyes on me superman, I think I now understand Luthor.

SuperCrab I agree with your signature. That's what should say Lex Luthor in rebirth.. Or Xa-du(is imposible to fool a Joker, he know his enemy), in the case that DC not forget it.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-03-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Someone over on the Superman forum said that the new Batman Rebirth title is going to focus on Batman and that we won't see the rest of the "Bat family" like Damian or some other Robin or whatever. I wanted to confirm that with you guys and make sure it's correct.

To be honest, one of the big turnoffs to be with modern Batman is his crime fighting preteen son, and, to a lesser extent, his tendency to wind up with various teenage Robins.

If I could really just reading an on-going series at the new DC price point of $2.99 (Starting in late May) where Batman is just in the batcave and sweeping the streets of Gotham at night for bad guys, with a little assistance from Alfred and/or Jim Gordon, I could see giving that a try, especially if I wind up dropping my Superman subs, which it looks like I will, since they are replacing the new52 Superman, who I liked, with SuperDad and his preteen crimefighting son (The less I say on that, the better. Don't get me started.).

Traditionally, that's what I've liked, either the loner Batman, Batman in the Justice League, or Batman teaming with Superman (Hey, like I said, I like Superman [At least the current version, no comment on SuperDad]). Right now my only "Batman" sub is the Batman-Superman comic, which is going to be discontinued by DC Comics after the May issue.

But I don't want to sub and then find myself stuck paying for and reading a story about Damian or a new (or old) teenage Robin coming back or whatever. I get that they will be "in the universe", but I'd only really be interested in a book that makes passing references when necessary to maintain continuity, and not a book where they are regular or frequently recurring characters. After all, if I wanted to read a book about a superhero's 10 year old son fighting crime (And I don't), I'd just stick with my Superman subs.
    Scott Snyder's Batman probably features less Bruce Wayne and Batfamily than any run I can remember. If that's what you want you should go back and check it out

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Thanks. Any word on pricing for All Star Batman? I was reading some articles about it after I read your response, and it sounds like a book I might want to try, but it also sounds like a book that might blow away DC Comics' new $2.99 price point for most books and wind up costing something I don't want to spend, like $4.99 or $5.99, because of the "All Star" title and possible expanded page count and such.

At $2.99, with no Damian or underage crime fighters, it'd definitely be worth buying the first issue in August and seeing whether or not it gets me hooked, a good deal and in continuity also, which is a plus as long as the annoying elements of being in continuity don't kick in. But I don't know if it's $2.99 or not.
    All-Star will still feature Duke being trained by Batman in ongoing backup stories each issue of roughly 8 pages or so, just be forewarned if you're looking for something completely sidekick free, All-Star isn't totally absent of underage crime fighters.

Duke is going to be in Batman and All star Batman
    Not sure if any of the Batfam will feature since we don't really know their status quo's right now
    Batwoman,Cass Cain, Spoiler, and Red Robin will be in Detective Comics so maybe they might be around

The days of loner Batman have been done imo
    Too many characters in the bat family and not enough have legs as characters to get by without featuring in his title or being in his world somewhat.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

All Star Batman will have Duke in backups, but will overall be the most Batfam light.

I also think All Star will end up the best Batman book. Snyder's ideas are pretty awesome sounding.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”