Page 67 of 124 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1857

Thread: Spawn

Mighty Member

We got a preview for 305 next year it seems spawn and medieval spawn are fightning while Jessica is struggling with her new powers and Eddie Frank is trying to resist the redeemer.

Fantastic Member

Issue 214 - The issue begins with Jim at Ramus' (Bludd's) office and he's talking to Marc who is at Grand Central Station and tells Marc that what he is looking to do is convince Ramus of funding his newly announced foundation for nothing. Marc informs Jim that he is meeting a contact regarding the wedding picture of Jim he received from Bludd and maybe finding out the first details about that. Bludd and Jim meet and the conversation becomes a bit heated as Jim tells Bludd of his visit to one of his shell companies the previous evening. We are then shown that event where Jim kills all of the vampires except for one on purpose. Jim then reveals to Bludd that he was testing him regarding how important it is to defeat the newly revived Malebolgia and asks him about the actual offer - protection for his friends and he'll work with Bludd to beat Malebolgia to which Bludd agrees. We then cut to Marc still waiting and receives a call from Jim informing him that Ramus will be funding the whole foundation for its entire first year. Marc, then, notices another phone going off that spooks him into the men's bathroom where he meets an agent that tells him about what has happened due to Marc's actions in investigating the photo with specific attention on the woman in the wedding picture. The agent informs Marc that now he's marked and that all the people that Marc has asked to research the photo are dead, but if anything out of the ordinary happens to contact him. The agent then gives Marc his card and we find out the agent is Terry Fitzgerald.

A meh issue honestly with so much talking. Looking back, the whole foundation aspect, which never really got off the ground, and Jim asking Bludd for protection for his friends to later be betrayed by him (because duh that would happen) ends up being a waste of time which kills 90% of this issue. The conversation with Bludd and Jim is a pretty lame attempt to make Jim sound tough like he's taking charge, but it doesn't really come across that way. The Terry and Marc bit while I get where they are going with this in trying to turn Marc to the CIA side as much as the Vatican was trying to turn Sara to their side at this time, Terry's entire time during the Jim tenure was so weird and ultimately led to nothing which kills the remaining 10% of this issue. The CIA are informed of inquiries made into the wedding photo so they sent a hitman out to silence anyone asking about it until it was just Marc. Terry then mentions that the woman, not Jim, is of interest which we would later learn that the woman was a scientist with resources that Wynn and Kramer (Jim's former identity) needed for their experiments and despite the fact that Jim married the woman to get close to those secrets, Wynn pulled the trigger to take the necessary details by force which resulted in the woman's death. I can kinda see why the CIA would want to clean that up since her death falls on the shoulders of Wynn who the agency wants to get as far away from, but later on Marc gets a photo of Spawn presumably by Terry at which point I'm confused as to why Terry did that as Marc still, even with that photo, has no idea that Jim was Spawn until Jim transformed into Spawn in front of him but from Terry's point of view he knows its Al and what he is capable of. Its so weird and ultimately the storyline didn't go anywhere which was for the best given how it started.

Mighty Member

Anyone remembers Haunt and Savior Todd's other works? Should I make a page for those two or just on here since Haunt appears in some of the issues of Spawn as supporting character?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Anyone remembers Haunt and Savior Todd's other works? Should I make a page for those two or just on here since Haunt appears in some of the issues of Spawn as supporting character?
    I think separate threads make sense. Haunt's appearance in Spawn is so minuscule and in the end unimportant that a thread celebrating the series would be better. Any news on anyone revisiting Haunt? How was Savior btw? It kinda felt like the story Todd wanted to tell with Jim Downing based on the snippets I've read here and there.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    I think separate threads make sense. Haunt's appearance in Spawn is so minuscule and in the end unimportant that a thread celebrating the series would be better. Any news on anyone revisiting Haunt? How was Savior btw? It kinda felt like the story Todd wanted to tell with Jim Downing based on the snippets I've read here and there.
    Well there was this on Todd teasing Haunt's return https://www.cbr.com/is-todd-mcfarlan...turn-of-haunt/ and Savior was okay just an origin story as he said just 8 issues.

Mighty Member

Also should we add the spin-offs and crossovers as threads for Spawn and it's other media like video games,toys,tv shows,and movies?

Fantastic Member

Well with that, who knows if and when Haunt will return. I believe back in the Downing tenure, the idea was to re-introduce him in Spawn and then spin out into his own series again, but that hasn't happened in a long time. Nice to here that Savior was fine been thinking about picking that up.

I think as far as the spinoffs, crossovers and other media for Spawn, that should stay here in the main thread. With Spawn being in MK11 next year along with other media projects it'll be good ways to keep this thread bumped and interesting along with the standard comic stuff.

Issue 226 - We begin with Obama winning his second term as president of the US as Jason Wynn looks back at his past during the time of the Soviet Union's collapse. We meet a young Wynn with his CO Haggerty who are meeting with agents from Heaven to discuss the continued securing of Heaven's Dead Zones, finding and monitoring Hell's Dead Zones, and talks about creating a hybrid soldier with human and Heaven capabilities providing an origin for how the Redeemer concept came to be. We then cut to some time later in a car ride as Wynn has been promoted to CO and riding with Haggerty. Wynn realizes that Heaven's likely cutting their funding to America and he wants to create an empire and political influence loyal to the human side as he figures that Heaven working on the belief that Hell would play fair in their war and vice versa is absurd. Wynn realizes that they are going a different way as the driver stops and kills himself. Wynn and a reluctant Haggerty step inside an abandoned factory when they meet a Hell agent that points him in the direction of Kramer to work with him in exchange for more power. The Hell agent reveals that Haggerty is willing to jump sides easily and Wynn kills him. The agent gives Wynn a case with the details on Kramer and his research inside with the goal of having Wynn secure Hell's Dead Zones and in exchange Wynn will have access to the Heaven hybrid soldiers thanks to the spies Hell has inside Heaven. We cut back to present time when Downing asks Wynn why he shut down the project and he says its due to a connection Downing had with Simmons that even he didn't know. Wynn then threatens Jim that he'll be taking back the symbiote and that he would be bringing Al Simmons back to him.

A very talky issue, but its one of the rare looks back at Wynn's past that allows one to make the connection as to how Wynn became connected to both Heaven and Hell. The Project's actual purpose and Simmons involvement, he was supposed to be Patient 47 and not Downing and so he'd be experimented on before he died and went to Hell, would be revealed with this issue and 227 and while I felt it was interesting in filling in a lot of holes that Downing's intro left open along with some of the past series stuff like why did Wynn keep messing with Al and wanting him to kill him, where the Jim Downing name came from, what happened to Downing's body after he experimented on himself, what happened when Jim woke up in Endgame, and overall Wynn's relationships with both sides. In the end, though, its these issues that were a giant info dump that ultimately doesn't really have a satisfying conclusion because of how long it took to get here and the series moves on from having established this that doesn't lead to Downing taking on a higher purpose and instead decides to do the symbiote controlling Jim storyline. Tremor's involvement in these issues was also a disappointment as we find out he was working for Wynn to get Jim to meet him and 227 seems to suggest that Wynn and Bludd maybe working together, but isn't out right confirmed, and he disappears never to be seen again.

Mighty Member

The Redeemer in 305 is struggling against Eddie Frank for control So I guess the Redeemer is a symbiote then like what it did when it took over Jason Wynn and Phil Timper.

Mighty Member

Btw anyone still remember the time Image comics tried to make the shared universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Btw anyone still remember the time Image comics tried to make the shared universe?
    Yeah. Savage Dragon is the only one that still does it since Invincible ended. Spawn does show up in other books, but with the exception of Malcolm and Ant during Larsen's run nobody else shows up in Spawn.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    Yeah. Savage Dragon is the only one that still does it since Invincible ended. Spawn does show up in other books, but with the exception of Malcolm and Ant during Larsen's run nobody else shows up in Spawn.
    Well Lareson does that with every comic from different publishers too like Hellboy.

Fantastic Member

Issue 234 - Spawn Costume Origin Part 2 - The issue begins with a blogger talking about how some people don't believe in Heaven and Hell and wonders about a third choice...nothing. What if someone wanted nothing and what would it look like? This leads to Jim, having escaped the clutches of the symbiote from the previous issue where it was revealed that the symbiote was created by Heaven, in a state of limbo unsure of what to do. We then go to a news interview with Marc Rosen discussing Jim's powers, the two protest groups being for and against Jim, the recent incident of Jim being shot and resurrecting, and more as Father Hallwell looks on. We cut to a an abandoned church renovation site where The Curse is torturing the man that Jim saved several issues ago that got hit by a bus in the hopes of finding the "darkness" that Jim put in him. He's interrupted by Daniel Kilgore who turns into Haunt and kills The Curse and reveals that every time Jim has used his powers of light, the symbiote has planted a seed of darkness as well meaning every person that Jim has helped is infected. We go back to Jim in limbo where he meets Twitch's son Max who gives Jim his entire backstory of how he died twice, both in the main book and in Case Files Sam & Twitch series, and says that he has a message from Al to give to Jim - Kill the symbiote before it kills you.

Kinda meh issue really. The Marc interview is peppered with so many bubbles that more could have been said with less. It was disappointing how The Curse went out given that he, seemingly, was sent by the Pope to look into Jim in his own way only for Haunt to appear out of nowhere and off him. We don't ever find out how Haunt knows what he knows and just vanishes making this whole thing rather pointless. Another drag was Max telling his entire backstory which was talking for the sake of it and the symbiote storyline as a whole is rather boring.

Fantastic Member

Happy Halloween folks! This will mark my final post in looking back in the past issues of Spawn. its been fun doing this in conjunction with the series reaching its milestone. Which reminds me I still need to get 301 and put my thoughts on it and 300 which should be coming soon. Going forward I could do the side series here and there, but we'll see. That said, my thoughts on the issues after this point up to 299 are here in this thread for anyone that wants to look them up.

Issue 242 - The issue opens with the Redeemer fighting the surviving Old Guard and other vampires as Solomon Pure and the Heaven vampires, at first, sit back and watch and then leave deciding to wait for another opportunity to claim the Dead Zone. Nearby, the Albino Trio and Bludd are having a conversation where Bludd convinces the Trio that he'll use the Dead Zone to breach Heaven and kill God and in exchange give the Dead Zone to Gibbons, the leader of the Albino Trio, which they agree to. Clown shows up sometime afterwards saying to Bludd that Jim should be the target and not Heaven and that he should take a look at the "presents" the Redeemer left for Bludd. We cut to the Trio talking to Redeemer, all of whom have grown dissatisfied with God's leadership, and decide to discuss working together. Elsewhere, Jim and Sara have a hear to heart regarding like Sara's feelings toward Jim and Jim's powers like when they teleported away to Sara's apartment in issue 204. Jim tries to comfort her, but when he touches her, Sara has a vision of her as a demon and leaves suddenly. The issue ends with Clown taking Sara.

Talk about the quintessential issue of Jim's tenure of a lot of moving parts that never get a proper conclusion. Solomon Pure after this issue disappears, we never find out who Gibbons is, the Redeemer/Clown alliance falls to the wayside before it even properly develops, the whole Heaven side not really feeling in line with God's leadership storyline is dropped, and the whole Sara plot line goes nowhere as to why it even happened in the first place. A lot of potential here, but sadly all of it wasted. The line of the Old Guard telling Redeemer of what they did to the angels and a Marvel line is similar to the recent 300 issue where Godsend mentioned something similar regarding Angela and her angels which honestly adds nothing to either storyline and, now recently, adds confusion for no reason whatsoever.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Happy Halloween folks! This will mark my final post in looking back in the past issues of Spawn. its been fun doing this in conjunction with the series reaching its milestone. Which reminds me I still need to get 301 and put my thoughts on it and 300 which should be coming soon. Going forward I could do the side series here and there, but we'll see. That said, my thoughts on the issues after this point up to 299 are here in this thread for anyone that wants to look them up.

Issue 242 - The issue opens with the Redeemer fighting the surviving Old Guard and other vampires as Solomon Pure and the Heaven vampires, at first, sit back and watch and then leave deciding to wait for another opportunity to claim the Dead Zone. Nearby, the Albino Trio and Bludd are having a conversation where Bludd convinces the Trio that he'll use the Dead Zone to breach Heaven and kill God and in exchange give the Dead Zone to Gibbons, the leader of the Albino Trio, which they agree to. Clown shows up sometime afterwards saying to Bludd that Jim should be the target and not Heaven and that he should take a look at the "presents" the Redeemer left for Bludd. We cut to the Trio talking to Redeemer, all of whom have grown dissatisfied with God's leadership, and decide to discuss working together. Elsewhere, Jim and Sara have a hear to heart regarding like Sara's feelings toward Jim and Jim's powers like when they teleported away to Sara's apartment in issue 204. Jim tries to comfort her, but when he touches her, Sara has a vision of her as a demon and leaves suddenly. The issue ends with Clown taking Sara.

Talk about the quintessential issue of Jim's tenure of a lot of moving parts that never get a proper conclusion. Solomon Pure after this issue disappears, we never find out who Gibbons is, the Redeemer/Clown alliance falls to the wayside before it even properly develops, the whole Heaven side not really feeling in line with God's leadership storyline is dropped, and the whole Sara plot line goes nowhere as to why it even happened in the first place. A lot of potential here, but sadly all of it wasted. The line of the Old Guard telling Redeemer of what they did to the angels and a Marvel line is similar to the recent 300 issue where Godsend mentioned something similar regarding Angela and her angels which honestly adds nothing to either storyline and, now recently, adds confusion for no reason whatsoever.
    Well 302 is on November too with 303 on December with 304 and 305 coming up

Mighty Member

Also some guy on youtube made a list of his favorite spawn villains