Page 71 of 125 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1875

Thread: Spawn

Incredible Member

I just got my multi-copies if issues 301-303.

After reading these issues, Todd needs to do a Spawn Year One-mini. Al and Jessica were to damn casual for my liking, considerations she’s the one who murdered him under orders. I’d rather have a mini, or a flash back that shows them interacting some after issue 61, when her face was revealed to him in that dream-state that they Clown was mocking him in.

If we really look at his first 100 issues anyway, Al was only Spawn for what? 2 or 3 years before killing Mal? Considering all the legal issues that Spawn went through over the years, I think a Year One or Year Two Mini to recon/correct some things regarding Angela, and adding little things to the mix. This Priest we saw doesn’t match her characterization from the three issues she was introduced in Curse of the Spawn. That Priest was also married.
    Last edited by Blanks; 12-27-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I just got my multi-copies if issues 301-303.

After reading these issues, Todd needs to do a Spawn Year One-mini. Al and Jessica were to damn casual for my liking, considerations she’s the one who murdered him under orders. I’d rather have a mini, or a flash back that shows them interacting some after issue 61, when her face was revealed to him in that dream-state that they Clown was mocking him in.

If we really look at his first 100 issues anyway, Al was only Spawn for what? 2 or 3 years before killing Mal? Considering all the legal issues that Spawn went through over the years, I think a Year One or Year Two Mini to recon/correct some things regarding Angela, and adding little things to the mix. This Priest we saw doesn’t match her characterization from the three issues she was introduced in Curse of the Spawn. That Priest was also married.
    Well Jim downing was spawn in 2008 to 2015 and al was spawn since 1992-2008 but came back in 2015 onwards. Also Jessica priest game back in 298 I believe.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I’m just going to hope somebody reads this and posts one.
    Until such time I’m reading #1.
    I think you should read The Violator mini just before issue 18.

The Spawn/Batman one-shot takes place after issue 20.

Then the Angela mini is between issues 28-29.

The Bloodfued mini takes place right after issue 32.

The Wildcats mini is up the air. Since the Image Universe is so fractured, this crossover can be considered non-canon.

Since Todd has pretty much ignored the Armageddon Arch, after issue Spawn issue 149, go straight to 185 and start there. Todd has pretty much ignored any story developments and new characters created from 150 to 184.

Incredible Member

I’m mostly talking about an in-universe timeline Year One of the comic.

When we first saw Cyan she was a toddler. She’s now, what? 15?

In comic timeline, Jim couldnt has been Spawn for more than a year.

The Spawn time-line/continuity is fractured worse than DC comics.

Mighty Member

I’m mostly talking about an in-universe timeline Year One of the comic.

When we first saw Cyan she was a toddler. She’s now, what? 15?

In comic timeline, Jim couldnt has been Spawn for more than a year.

The Spawn time-line/continuity is fractured worse than DC comics.
    Oh right cyan is a teenager now and got superpowers.

I think you should read The Violator mini just before issue 18.
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
    Could you also add the movie and tv shows?
    There’s nothing I like more than structure with a franchise.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
    Could you also add the movie and tv shows?
    There’s nothing I like more than structure with a franchise.
    Also some video games too

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Also some video games too
    Lesson number 1 about the Spawn franchise. There is no structure. It’s broken as f#ck due to all the lawsuits and creator rights stuff that involved Angela, Cog, Medevil Spawn, Tony Twist, Datk Ages Spawn, etc. Also since Youngblood is no longer owned by its original creator, any crossovers or stuff with Youngblood is pretty much moot.

Forget Chapel was ever part of Al’s story. Its easier that way.

It’s not like Star Wars, or Star Trek. The stand-alone movie and the animated series have nothing to do with the comic. The don’t “fit in” the story anywhere.

The 1997 movie alone is like a reimagined origin.

The three season animated series? It’s pretty much the first 7 issues, issues 20-25 condensed and reimagined. You don’t have to watch the movie or the animated series in no order.

Mighty Member

Lesson number 1 about the Spawn franchise. There is no structure. It’s broken as f#ck due to all the lawsuits and creator rights stuff that involved Angela, Cog, Medevil Spawn, Tony Twist, Datk Ages Spawn, etc. Also since Youngblood is no longer owned by its original creator, any crossovers or stuff with Youngblood is pretty much moot.

Forget Chapel was ever part of Al’s story. Its easier that way.

It’s not like Star Wars, or Star Trek. The stand-alone movie and the animated series have nothing to do with the comic. The don’t “fit in” the story anywhere.

The 1997 movie alone is like a reimagined origin.

The three season animated series? It’s pretty much the first 7 issues, issues 20-25 condensed and reimagined. You don’t have to watch the movie or the animated series in no order.
    Well cog,mother of existence,and medieval spawn still appears in the recent issues.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Well cog,mother of existence,and medieval spawn still appears in the recent issues.
    Yes. I didn’t say forget about them, just Chapel. But regardless, the story is all fractured, with retcons and such.

It’s best to read Spawn1-149, then forget everything in between to where Jim Downing first appeared. Todd doesn’t recognize Armageddon or those following issues as canon.

Mighty Member

Yes. I didn’t say forget about them, just Chapel. But regardless, the story is all fractured, with retcons and such.

It’s best to read Spawn1-149, then forget everything in between to where Jim Downing first appeared. Todd doesn’t recognize Armageddon or those following issues as canon.
    Well 297 has mother of existence cameo so it seems Armageddon is still canon.

Mighty Member

There was also a reference of the Unholy Trinity a couple times in the series.

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=Toxin45.[/QUOTE]

Another inconsistency with the book. Both God and Satan were Wanda and Terry’s Twins. In the Armageddon storyline, God and Satan reverted by to their normal forms, and MOM erased everyone’s memories of the Twins ever existing.

Yet, after Al returns, we see Cyan, Terry and the Twins at Wanda’s funeral and following issues.

This franchise, as much as I love it, is broken. Todd at this point is cherry picking continuity/canon and using it however it seems.

I’m not bashing Spawn at all. I love the book. But the story is broken. A clean “reboot” with 301 or 302, to start at the beginning with a new version of Al Simmons, like the animated series did, could have done so much to fix things.
    Last edited by Blanks; 12-31-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Incredible Member

Also, kinda Spawn related. We haven’t seen anything about Haunt in a while.

I think it would be kinda cool if Todd relaunched the Haunt title, but using Al’s brothers Marc and Richard as the new Haunt. One of them is already a priest/preacher as it is (unless that bit of info about Richard is reconnected away as well, LOL!
    Last edited by Blanks; 12-31-2019 at 03:30 PM.

I’m not bashing Spawn at all. I love the book. But the story is broken. A clean “reboot” with 301 or 302, to start at the beginning with a new version of Al Simmons, like the animated series did, could have done so much to fix things.
    I'm pretty much on the same page. I love the art and tone, but the story is a mess. They really needed to level-set going into the 300's, not muddy the waters more with multiple Spawns and branching plot-lines. Another Spawn Bible might help. I just have no idea what is canon now and what isn't.