Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Cobra Commander (Ssspoilers Inside!)

Cobra la la la! Calling the faithful! Has anybody read Cobra Commander #1, written by Josh Williamson, drawn by Andrea Milana, and colored by Annalisa Leoni?

I have, and enjoyed it quite a bit, even if I had no idea what Cobra La was supposed to be. (I was a comic and toy GI Joe fan, not a cartoon one.) The setup is very intriguing and something of a surprise. It seems the Energon Universe's Cobra Commander is more of a scientist, albeit still sociopathic and a manipulative jerk. And he's on the hunt for Energon... The art wasn't quite as good as Tom Reilly's work in Duke, but it was still fun and got across the emotions in the story.

So what did you think?

Yeah, I was reluctant since I never cared for the Cobra-La retcon. Eventually, I relented & began reading the darn thing.
    Once the Commander made his emergence into the modern world & I spotted a few easter eggs/cameos, I found it quite enjoyable. So yeah, I'd recommend it.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-22-2024 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

That Megatron tease...

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Another stellar issue from the Energon Universe. This train is rolling strong. It has everything for both current and new fans. A relaunch of the universe with classic, darker, and more adult elements. Duke's Comic read like a Jack Bauer Episode while Cobra Commander's felt like a B Horror Movie. Both worked

Cobra Commander's Origin (and Character) from Hamas Marvel Run was light years better than the cartoon. That being said, this comic book has parts from both. So many easter eggs and I'm sure I'm missing others

This Cobra Commander is a human that found his way onto Cobra-La. The one scientist screaming to retreat before he was killed was what Cobra Commander looked like in the cartoon before he changed. I also like how this comic is explaining how Cobra is getting their technology.

What I wasn't expecting was Megatron's Fate (so far). I was predicting Cobra Commander and Megatron were working together.

I'm hooked. Interested to see what happens with Megatron and who this Grunt Person is.

In a shared and integrated universe with stuff like the Transformers, I think it’s absolutely the right call to lean into the more fantastic elements of G.I. Joe history. Cobra-La works perfectly in that respect.

They also established Cobra Commander as a very formidable and menacing threat. I’m fully on board for this.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    In a shared and integrated universe with stuff like the Transformers, I think it’s absolutely the right call to lean into the more fantastic elements of G.I. Joe history. Cobra-La works perfectly in that respect.

They also established Cobra Commander as a very formidable and menacing threat. I’m fully on board for this.
    so they're going with the cartoon version of Cobra Commander, not the comics version of the ex-car salesman in Springfield? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so they're going with the cartoon version of Cobra Commander, not the comics version of the ex-car salesman in Springfield? Interesting.
    I know, right?! I'd even be shocked if there were any reference to Billy Kessler (T_T)

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member

Cobra Commander #2 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artist: Andrea Milana

Extraordinary Member

Cobra Commander #2 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artist: Andrea Milana

Astonishing Member

While I suspect some or most of the "name" Noks will survive Nemesis Enforcer's onslaught, I like that I really don't know if we can guarantee any of that. I guess they probably at least telegraphed there's more to the Buzzer story, and with an oft-mentioned "brother" in the mix, Zarana & Zandar seem to have plot armor, at least for this cliffhanger. I definitely half expect Nemesis Enforcer to have murdered Ripper and Torch by the first panel of next issue.

Art's still great. Still good brutal shock and horror. I was 99% that it was Nemesis but it still felt pretty nice to see the reveal. The only way to make "humanity villains" feel like they can even make a mark in a shared universe is yeah, definitely agree, play up the fantastical elements. But also for at least some of the key villains to be true monsters in a lot of ways. Get me some of those Cobra Blackstar mercenary pilots, and bring on the Manimals and Lunartix.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com