Page 103 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1857

Thread: Spawn

Fantastic Member

Caught up on the Spawn Universe books and going forward I'm not going to recap much of Gunslinger or Scorched until they are where King Spawn & the main Spawn book are at in a quality sense at least to me. Gunslinger #7 sees Gunslinger fight a werewolf named Carnivore until they stop and Carnivore goes away which leads to Gunslinger finding Jessica Priest so she can tell him about Al and a bar fight is about to start to end the issue. Really not much going on there. Scorched #5 fares a bit better though with the team fighting the Sin Devourer from the last issue which leads to Natasha revealing to the team that everything they have encountered so far - the Russian general with Plague, Soul Crusher, rescuing Reaper from the angels, & the Sin Devourers - was all planned by someone named The Buyer who has it out for the entire team and then Natasha and Sergei die as the original Plague Spawn looks on. Definitely a better issue from the last one as its mostly a fight issue and I hope Gunslinger and Medieval give Al grief for not finding out from Soul Crusher what he knew about sending them back to their respective time periods.

King Spawn #9 - Al goes to the Greenworld to see if Black Azrael was BS'ing him or not with respect to Wanda and we get our first look at Gaia. We get a bit of a battle with Al against Heap, Oracle, and Simon the latter of which has aged but doesn't pose a challenge to Al at all. Gaia then recalls her troops and reveals Wanda stating that because Azrael brought her to the Greenworld Azrael has both Wanda and her rights and the only way to undo that is for Al to become king because he'll then have the power to bring Heaven's souls from the dead. Gaia then says that when that happens, Azrael promises that all Heaven and Hell forces would leave Earth forever letting Earth flourish once again and if Al doesn't do this then Gaia will destroy Wanda. The problem? For Al to become king he has to let go what has been fueling him since he came back to Earth - his anger. Very interesting issue that lays to rest the doubt that Al and even the reader may have about everything and I'm curious to see where things go from here as Al is now between a rock and a hard place. Shame that Javi didn't do this issue as it would have been interesting to see his version of Gaia, but Thomas Nachlik does a good job keeping in line with the look of the book so kudos there and besides having read #10 Javi comes back like a force of nature. This coming week sees the release of King Spawn volume 1 which collects the entire first arc of the book and if you have been a lapsed fan or want to see what the fuss is about, I recommend checking it out as this is far and away the best book of the Universe books.

Spawn #329 - a Forsaken-centric issue and I like it. We get a story from New Redeemer telling Al about how Redeemers and the Forsaken came to be. We then see Forsaken face a Spawn until Al and Redeemer step in which Cordelia is worried about. The captured Hellspawns arrive to get Forsaken out of there, but Forsaken is having none of it and battling New Redeemer, Forsaken remembers everything and speeds off to Cordelia and her base to wipe it out. Meanwhile, the news are talking about the guy that turned into Detective Spawn in the last issue and Downing and Haunt meet for the first time in a meeting that I thought would happen during the Downing era which may lead to the final pages we saw in the Scorched #5. I liked that this we popped the cork on Forsaken and how we got to know more about Redeemers in general and I am curious to see what happens next not only on that end, but by Forsaken leaving so fast it left the captured Hellspawns with Al and Redeemer so I'm interested to see if something will come of that. Nice to see Downing and Haunt finally meet and the news bit at least was story centric which these last several issues have done a good job of being that as if the series wants to have a media angle then this is the best way to do it. Overall, I liked the issue as well and can't wait for the next one.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 05-22-2022 at 02:20 PM.

Mighty Member

Just read scorched 6

Mighty Member

I like how Al doesn't trust anyone on the Spawn team.

Mighty Member

Spawn 330 is out now

Fantastic Member

Quick look at King Spawn 10 & Spawn 330 as Gunslinger 8 was once again a nothing issue that ended with what might as well be an advertisement for The Scorched and Scorched 6 was another frustrating read.

King Spawn 10 - Obviously we have to talk about that art as Javi returns to do all of the issue and I think we have our Spawn comic of the year from an artistic standpoint with this one. I love the black, white and red look with a couple of killer pages when Spawn himself appears. Story-wise I also liked how it felt like an interlude issue - Terry breaking into the Court of Priests' base of operations - but as the issue went on Spawn's presence can be felt leading to the reveal. It's great stuff. I'm not too keen on another mysterious figure - the shadow man - being behind the actions of Black Azrael and the Court as we already have a mysterious person in The Buyer in the Scorched so it would have been just fine if Black Azrael and the Court was the focus so we'll see where that goes. Seeds are planted that Terry may have to take out Al and given what happens in issue 11 we may be headed towards Al vs Terry. Solid issue here.

Spawn 330 - the conclusion of the Cordelia/Forsaken story at least for now. Having found out the truth from New Redeemer, Forsaken goes back in hyperspeed to Cordelia's base while Cordelia is removing any and all evidence of the group's presence there. Spawn and New Redeemer arrive leading to Spawn and Forsaken fight once again. Spawn manages to crack Forsaken's helmet, a possible nod to how Spawn beat Redeemer the first go around way back in the day, and Forsaken escapes going into hiding. Spawn returns to base and finds out from Terry that all of the captured Spawns plus several other signals have simply disappeared and fears where all of that accumulated power is going revealing Sinn, Cogliostro's new look, has been responsible. Meanwhile back at Downing's base, Marc finds Overt-Kill repaired and with a new look who has now sided with Downing as Downing returns from his talk with Haunt in the previous issue and it seems they are going to be springing into action soon. Fine issue that continues to move the pieces forward. Clearly we are headed to Sinn being the big focus going forward and while I'm not a fan of Cog's new look nor his motivation of being on the throne of Hell which he already did, but curious how the Sinn aspect changes things. I assume Downing will be springing into action with Freak and Curse as well and the new look for Overt-Kill is okay not feeling strong one way or another. Marc questioning what Jim did to Overt-Kill is odd given a) Overt-Kill spouted truth about Al leaving him on Omega Island which Al revisited the island in Spawn Universe and using him as a slave and b) Marc's had doubts since 304 or so about trusting Al, something Downing even asked him point blank, and trusting Downing to save everyone if Downing felt Al couldn't be completely trusted. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'm excited to see Downing's team in action which seems way more in tune compared to the team in the Scorched and it helps that Downing isn't a jerk like Al and is being strategic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Quick look at King Spawn 10 & Spawn 330 as Gunslinger 8 was once again a nothing issue that ended with what might as well be an advertisement for The Scorched and Scorched 6 was another frustrating read.

King Spawn 10 - Obviously we have to talk about that art as Javi returns to do all of the issue and I think we have our Spawn comic of the year from an artistic standpoint with this one. I love the black, white and red look with a couple of killer pages when Spawn himself appears. Story-wise I also liked how it felt like an interlude issue - Terry breaking into the Court of Priests' base of operations - but as the issue went on Spawn's presence can be felt leading to the reveal. It's great stuff. I'm not too keen on another mysterious figure - the shadow man - being behind the actions of Black Azrael and the Court as we already have a mysterious person in The Buyer in the Scorched so it would have been just fine if Black Azrael and the Court was the focus so we'll see where that goes. Seeds are planted that Terry may have to take out Al and given what happens in issue 11 we may be headed towards Al vs Terry. Solid issue here.

Spawn 330 - the conclusion of the Cordelia/Forsaken story at least for now. Having found out the truth from New Redeemer, Forsaken goes back in hyperspeed to Cordelia's base while Cordelia is removing any and all evidence of the group's presence there. Spawn and New Redeemer arrive leading to Spawn and Forsaken fight once again. Spawn manages to crack Forsaken's helmet, a possible nod to how Spawn beat Redeemer the first go around way back in the day, and Forsaken escapes going into hiding. Spawn returns to base and finds out from Terry that all of the captured Spawns plus several other signals have simply disappeared and fears where all of that accumulated power is going revealing Sinn, Cogliostro's new look, has been responsible. Meanwhile back at Downing's base, Marc finds Overt-Kill repaired and with a new look who has now sided with Downing as Downing returns from his talk with Haunt in the previous issue and it seems they are going to be springing into action soon. Fine issue that continues to move the pieces forward. Clearly we are headed to Sinn being the big focus going forward and while I'm not a fan of Cog's new look nor his motivation of being on the throne of Hell which he already did, but curious how the Sinn aspect changes things. I assume Downing will be springing into action with Freak and Curse as well and the new look for Overt-Kill is okay not feeling strong one way or another. Marc questioning what Jim did to Overt-Kill is odd given a) Overt-Kill spouted truth about Al leaving him on Omega Island which Al revisited the island in Spawn Universe and using him as a slave and b) Marc's had doubts since 304 or so about trusting Al, something Downing even asked him point blank, and trusting Downing to save everyone if Downing felt Al couldn't be completely trusted. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'm excited to see Downing's team in action which seems way more in tune compared to the team in the Scorched and it helps that Downing isn't a jerk like Al and is being strategic.
    Well to be fair it is possible that cog is the buyer and that shadow man is another classic spawn villain

Mighty Member

Caught up on the Spawn Universe books and going forward I'm not going to recap much of Gunslinger or Scorched until they are where King Spawn & the main Spawn book are at in a quality sense at least to me. Gunslinger #7 sees Gunslinger fight a werewolf named Carnivore until they stop and Carnivore goes away which leads to Gunslinger finding Jessica Priest so she can tell him about Al and a bar fight is about to start to end the issue. Really not much going on there. Scorched #5 fares a bit better though with the team fighting the Sin Devourer from the last issue which leads to Natasha revealing to the team that everything they have encountered so far - the Russian general with Plague, Soul Crusher, rescuing Reaper from the angels, & the Sin Devourers - was all planned by someone named The Buyer who has it out for the entire team and then Natasha and Sergei die as the original Plague Spawn looks on. Definitely a better issue from the last one as its mostly a fight issue and I hope Gunslinger and Medieval give Al grief for not finding out from Soul Crusher what he knew about sending them back to their respective time periods.

King Spawn #9 - Al goes to the Greenworld to see if Black Azrael was BS'ing him or not with respect to Wanda and we get our first look at Gaia. We get a bit of a battle with Al against Heap, Oracle, and Simon the latter of which has aged but doesn't pose a challenge to Al at all. Gaia then recalls her troops and reveals Wanda stating that because Azrael brought her to the Greenworld Azrael has both Wanda and her rights and the only way to undo that is for Al to become king because he'll then have the power to bring Heaven's souls from the dead. Gaia then says that when that happens, Azrael promises that all Heaven and Hell forces would leave Earth forever letting Earth flourish once again and if Al doesn't do this then Gaia will destroy Wanda. The problem? For Al to become king he has to let go what has been fueling him since he came back to Earth - his anger. Very interesting issue that lays to rest the doubt that Al and even the reader may have about everything and I'm curious to see where things go from here as Al is now between a rock and a hard place. Shame that Javi didn't do this issue as it would have been interesting to see his version of Gaia, but Thomas Nachlik does a good job keeping in line with the look of the book so kudos there and besides having read #10 Javi comes back like a force of nature. This coming week sees the release of King Spawn volume 1 which collects the entire first arc of the book and if you have been a lapsed fan or want to see what the fuss is about, I recommend checking it out as this is far and away the best book of the Universe books.

Spawn #329 - a Forsaken-centric issue and I like it. We get a story from New Redeemer telling Al about how Redeemers and the Forsaken came to be. We then see Forsaken face a Spawn until Al and Redeemer step in which Cordelia is worried about. The captured Hellspawns arrive to get Forsaken out of there, but Forsaken is having none of it and battling New Redeemer, Forsaken remembers everything and speeds off to Cordelia and her base to wipe it out. Meanwhile, the news are talking about the guy that turned into Detective Spawn in the last issue and Downing and Haunt meet for the first time in a meeting that I thought would happen during the Downing era which may lead to the final pages we saw in the Scorched #5. I liked that this we popped the cork on Forsaken and how we got to know more about Redeemers in general and I am curious to see what happens next not only on that end, but by Forsaken leaving so fast it left the captured Hellspawns with Al and Redeemer so I'm interested to see if something will come of that. Nice to see Downing and Haunt finally meet and the news bit at least was story centric which these last several issues have done a good job of being that as if the series wants to have a media angle then this is the best way to do it. Overall, I liked the issue as well and can't wait for the next one.
    Please keep them reviews coming....they make a good read.

Incredible Member

I wonder if Downing is the “traitor” that is spoken of.

I just purchased the Endgame trade off EBay (I didn’t want to dig out my floppy’s to re-read the arc) and I find myself disliking Jim all over again. Truly felt that the time wasted trying to develop Jim, those stories that Al could have been made a part of.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Well to be fair it is possible that cog is the buyer and that shadow man is another classic spawn villain
    I thought about Cog being the buyer, but from how Natasha described it - a human, incredibly wealthy, wears an eye patch, convincing starving angels to join him, able to capture Reaper and knows how to extract anti-Spawn fluid, and wants to control the Scorched, the dead zones, and destroy everything in between - I doubt its Cog whose sole goal right now is being on the throne of Hell again and is doing things mostly solo as we know of only one other person Cog is working with. Not sure who it could be as I was thinking about eye patch characters in the Spawn universe, but curious to see who it'll be. The shadow man made me think of Cog, given the Court of Priests/Exodus Foundation (the Cordelia story in the main book) want the dead zones opened with the foundation wanting the throne of Hell and knowing Al can't be the one on it. I think it'd make a lot of sense for Cog to be the shadow man as it suits his nature and working with Black Azrael as it'll get Cog closer to his goal.

Thanks Besouro. I'll definitely keep the reviews coming and I may just do every other issue with Gunslinger and Scorched as the preview for the upcoming Gunslinger issue is about Gunslinger's past, finally, so I'll review that as I've been waiting for that since issue 1. I feel your pain, Blanks, going back to Jim's introduction. It felt like a ploy more than anything else to keep the series going and in all of Jim's time it never worked that by the end it just felt like a waste of time. I like that they reset him with the current stuff and I actually like him now even though they can stand to differentiate his powerset from everyone else...a fact that I feel they should do for all of the Spawns.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 06-21-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Mighty Member

I thought about Cog being the buyer, but from how Natasha described it - a human, incredibly wealthy, wears an eye patch, convincing starving angels to join him, able to capture Reaper and knows how to extract anti-Spawn fluid, and wants to control the Scorched, the dead zones, and destroy everything in between - I doubt its Cog whose sole goal right now is being on the throne of Hell again and is doing things mostly solo as we know of only one other person Cog is working with. Not sure who it could be as I was thinking about eye patch characters in the Spawn universe, but curious to see who it'll be. The shadow man made me think of Cog, given the Court of Priests/Exodus Foundation (the Cordelia story in the main book) want the dead zones opened with the foundation wanting the throne of Hell and knowing Al can't be the one on it. I think it'd make a lot of sense for Cog to be the shadow man as it suits his nature and working with Black Azrael as it'll get Cog closer to his goal. Maybe the shadow man is violator cuz in issue 6 of the wynn flashback a silloute looks similar to clown in his classic form and shadow man was wearing suits that modern clown has

Thanks Besouro. I'll definitely keep the reviews coming and I may just do every other issue with Gunslinger and Scorched as the preview for the upcoming Gunslinger issue is about Gunslinger's past, finally, so I'll review that as I've been waiting for that since issue 1. I feel your pain, Blanks, going back to Jim's introduction. It felt like a ploy more than anything else to keep the series going and in all of Jim's time it never worked that by the end it just felt like a waste of time. I like that they reset him with the current stuff and I actually like him now even though they can stand to differentiate his powerset from everyone else...a fact that I feel they should do for all of the Spawns.
    Maybe cog decides to go for hell’s throne to try to build a bigger army and warp reality into his image since he took too long to build that black tower thing he tried to do guess it took him too long maybe Jim downing turns evil and is possessed by soemthing seems like from what the scorched connected covers looks like that setting him up to be a major foe for the scorched and spawn
    Last edited by Toxin45; 06-22-2022 at 02:51 AM.

Mighty Member

The descprition for issues 331,332,and 333 seems like al had to deal with friends and long forgotten enemies trying to find answers and his Allies and new threats keep on coming stating is this the end? Obviously not. Scorched also has Jessica struggle with her teammates stating there is a reason that Hellspawns don’t work together

Mighty Member

Btw Gunsligner spawn 9 is out now

Incredible Member

I feel your pain, Blanks, going back to Jim's introduction. It felt like a ploy more than anything else to keep the series going and in all of Jim's time it never worked that by the end it just felt like a waste of time. I like that they reset him with the current stuff and I actually like him now even though they can stand to differentiate his powerset from everyone else...a fact that I feel they should do for all of the Spawns.
    It’s no rumor that Todd hated the Armageddon era. It makes me wonder that if after he went back and read that era (if I remember correctly, it was during the high-points of the lawsuit era with Neil Gaiman) and actually paid attention to what David Hine wrote, I feel that he decided to scrap Al Simmons and try with Jim. But we all saw how that didn’t pan out.

I’m kinda excited at the prospect of Jim staying on in an antagonist role for Al going onward.

And to add, I know we’ll probably have these multiple Spawn around for a while, especially until this story arc closes out, but I’m already exhausted if the multiple Spawns in the same timeline. Once it is all said and done, I hope the only remaining Spawn is Al, Jessica and Medevil. I wouldn’t mind the Gunslinger comic taking place in the old west. But that is just my opinion. There is so much going on between the four Spawn titles… it’s a lil congested.

Incredible Member

I already own every single issue, mini-series, one-shot, etc, etc of Spawn and all it’s side titles over the years, but the past few months I’ve been going back and picking up the trade paperbacks that were released, from 251 all the way up to the most recent trade that collects 298-301. It’s been a better read, in one setting. Post 300, all it really has been is one long dragged out “new world building era” with the main Spawn and Scorched titles.

I also picked up Endgame (issues 185-196), New Beginnings (201-206) New Beginnings (207-212), but I can’t seem to find a trade collection of issues 197-200 anywhere, and for that matter, I can’t seem to find a listing of a trade(s) of Spawn issues 176 through 184 either. Anyone know if they were ever collected?

Not really surprised that Spawn 213 through 250 weren’t collected. Guess I’ll have to wait until that Omnibus Collection is released. That’ll probably be… what? Book 5 of the large omnibus?
    Last edited by Blanks; 06-24-2022 at 05:58 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    It’s no rumor that Todd hated the Armageddon era. It makes me wonder that if after he went back and read that era (if I remember correctly, it was during the high-points of the lawsuit era with Neil Gaiman) and actually paid attention to what David Hine wrote, I feel that he decided to scrap Al Simmons and try with Jim. But we all saw how that didn’t pan out.

I’m kinda excited at the prospect of Jim staying on in an antagonist role for Al going onward.

And to add, I know we’ll probably have these multiple Spawn around for a while, especially until this story arc closes out, but I’m already exhausted if the multiple Spawns in the same timeline. Once it is all said and done, I hope the only remaining Spawn is Al, Jessica and Medevil. I wouldn’t mind the Gunslinger comic taking place in the old west. But that is just my opinion. There is so much going on between the four Spawn titles… it’s a lil congested.
    Yeah well sadly for you that is not happening they are gonna be here for a long while also todd did state there will be more titles to come in the future for spawn and spin-offs about 8-9 titles maybe even 13 so yeah gonna be a while more hellspawns are gonna be added and classic spawn characters will return
    Last edited by Toxin45; 06-24-2022 at 10:07 AM.