Page 99 of 124 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1857

Thread: Spawn

Mighty Member

The scorched is out today

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    The first issue refers to "Youngblood Agents", but does not seem to have anything to do with the comic line of the same name.
    That can't be a coincidence, though.
    Yeah in the early days of Spawn, the main series had a connection with a certain Youngblood member (issues 12 & 13) that over the years would be retconned to have that mystery fall under a different character. But in the various side series you had an entire mini-series dedicated to Violator and Badrock and another where Angela crossed over with a few issues of Youngblood in her team up with Glory. A few single issues here and there from Youngblood and Supreme, for example, had either a villain like Overt-Kill (he sort of had a rivalry with Badrock) or Spawn himself appear in them.

Mighty Member

well reading the lastest issues for the spawn expanded universe is been good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Yeah in the early days of Spawn, the main series had a connection with a certain Youngblood member (issues 12 & 13)
    So that means I should add issues of Youngblood into my reading of Spawn because they share continuity.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    So that means I should add issues of Youngblood into my reading of Spawn because they share continuity.
    Well, when I say issues 12 & 13 I mean of the main Spawn book where a certain Youngblood member ties into Al's history. You don't really need to pick up any issues of Youngblood unless you are a) interested in seeing certain Spawn characters, even Al himself, make a special appearance like Youngblood X where Overt-kill appears but nothing in those issues impacts the main book in any way which for a list of those special appearance books are:

Shadowhawk #2 (Spawn makes an apperance)
    Youngblood Strikefile #4 (Overtkill is the focus of the issue)
    Supreme #15 (a little crossover issue between Spawn & Supreme)
    Supreme #20 (Overtkill vs Supreme)
    Ant (volume 2) #3 (which connects that version of Ant with Spawn)

Like I said, nothing here impacts the main book in any way but if your curious of seeing Spawn or Overtkill in another book, especially back then, it gives a shared universe vibe. It is also not an exhaustive list of the special appearances as I never got my hands on Youngblood issue 10 which which serves as a sort of aftermath between two characters after Spawn 13 and Operation: Knightstrike a 3 issue mini-series that covers some of Al Simmons' time in the military teaming up with Chapel and you see them go on missions. Just added material out there if you want to look into it, but not required reading by any means.

Or b) interested in picking up the Angela & Glory mini-series which specifically did crossover with certain issues of other books. The list and order for that are as follows:

Angela & Glory #1
    Youngblood #6
    Team Youngblood #21
    Glory #10
    MaxiMage #4
    Glory & Angela #1

Hope that helps.

Edit - Almost forgot one exception and that is Savage Dragon 217 which concludes the story that started in Spawn 265 & 266.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 01-16-2022 at 05:14 PM.

Mighty Member

https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-mcfa...year-of-spawn/

todd interview on spawn universe expansion.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    well reading the lastest issues for the spawn expanded universe is been good so far.
    Yeah it was pretty good month for the Spawn books.

King Spawn #5 -

I sometimes hate being right but I had a feeling this was coming. Now moving past Kincaid, Al deals with signs of someone else in his past coming back and vets of the series will see this coming a mile away, but what I didn't see coming was the reveal involving Disruptor who we only saw in Spawn Universe #1. Pretty quick turnaround on revealing him which is nice, but I really hope we get answers soon as to how these ghosts of Al's past are coming back and with powers. Felt like more could have been done with the issue as its all a lead up to the reveal on the final page, but thought it was good.

Gunslinger #3 - *insert Reb Brown yelling Dakota gif here*

My favorite issue of the series so far and I think the best book of the 4 this month imo. We get a nice intro to the new villain Dakota as she is working with the Heaven and Hell forces interested in Gunslinger. We get a parting between Taylor and Javi (the name of Gunslinger) which is nice, but I assume it won't be lasting long that then leads to a fight between Gunslinger and Dakota who uses her powers with dinosaurs. It's the right kind of over the top that works and with Gunslinger being the weakest Spawn of them all it does make each encounter interesting to see how Gunslinger overcomes it. If the issue had a weakness it would be the final moments that felt unnecessary to throw in another returning villain when all issue you are building up a new one. Especially given the events of 300/301, I hope we get something that explains how this character is back with multiple versions of himself again that maybe ties into the King Spawn stuff.

Spawn 325 - easily the weakest issue of the 4 and not the issue I expected coming from the previous one. It is more table setting as the majority of the issue is centered on a Hell faction led by Cordelia who is interested in getting Al on their side to be able to take the throne of Hell and we later find out that Cordelia has rounded up several Spawns we haven't seen yet including Pirate Spawn, Assassin's Creed Spawn, Detective Spawn, and Centurion Spawn which ties into the beginning of the issue and the introduction of the Forsaken aka Dark Redeemer. Outside of that, the issue completely side steps Al's conversation with New Redeemer in favor of Al being on the hunt for Cogliostro to fix the time tear he caused but ends up finding someone that I was excited to see but sadly the issue cuts away just as they were about to throw down. I appreciate the table setting going on here, but the issue just had too much talking for me that wasn't as good as Jim & Marc's conversation from last issue and also Al already took the throne of Hell once before so are we really trying for that storyline again? Al lamenting about not wanting to be a celebrity despite the fact that he himself said back in the 290s that he would save their souls to the public and making public appearances in Spawn uniform just makes me think of why Al couldn't just ask Jim to go back to being a celebrity in the public-facing side if he wasn't such a jerk to him before. Also weird that Todd McFarlane is credited as the writer on the cover but the issue is done by Rory McConville again.

The Scorched #1 - pretty good debut here that works for fans entrenched into the Spawn Universe but not so much for those coming in cold. I like that this is essentially She Spawn's book which is long overdue and that she has to prove her worth with teammates that have way more experience than her. The book does tie a bit with King Spawn - the issue just about opens Avengers Age of Ultron style with Medieval, New Redeemer, Spawn, and She Spawn raiding a Psalms 137 hideout plus the fact that the mission the team is on is picking up a thread from the King Spawn book - and the main book - we find out a little of the conversation New Redeemer had with Al which I don't particularly like details from one book being filled in by another unless its a crossover event so hopefully that will be kept to a minimum for now. It is also better set for the immediate future compared to say Gunslinger's main title as the team is trying to protect Reaper, glad we are circling back to him after he vanished, but have to go on a side mission first to get someone that will serve the needs of the larger mission. I liked the art transition with the documents setting the stage for the players of interest and liked the art of the first half more than the second half. I liked it overall, but hopefully, we get a bit more with the team dynamics as the arc continues before the team shifts in any major way, have the team use their powers in unique ways to stand out like the mind meld that Medieval did here and the team taking down the giant locust creature was cool, and I could have done without the epilogue.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 01-18-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Mighty Member

Yeah it was pretty good month for the Spawn books.

King Spawn #5 -

I sometimes hate being right but I had a feeling this was coming. Now moving past Kincaid, Al deals with signs of someone else in his past coming back and vets of the series will see this coming a mile away, but what I didn't see coming was the reveal involving Disruptor who we only saw in Spawn Universe #1. Pretty quick turnaround on revealing him which is nice, but I really hope we get answers soon as to how these ghosts of Al's past are coming back and with powers. Felt like more could have been done with the issue as its all a lead up to the reveal on the final page, but thought it was good.

Gunslinger #3 - *insert Reb Brown yelling Dakota gif here*

My favorite issue of the series so far and I think the best book of the 4 this month imo. We get a nice intro to the new villain Dakota as she is working with the Heaven and Hell forces interested in Gunslinger. We get a parting between Taylor and Javi (the name of Gunslinger) which is nice, but I assume it won't be lasting long that then leads to a fight between Gunslinger and Dakota who uses her powers with dinosaurs. It's the right kind of over the top that works and with Gunslinger being the weakest Spawn of them all it does make each encounter interesting to see how Gunslinger overcomes it. If the issue had a weakness it would be the final moments that felt unnecessary to throw in another returning villain when all issue you are building up a new one. Especially given the events of 300/301, I hope we get something that explains how this character is back with multiple versions of himself again that maybe ties into the King Spawn stuff.

Spawn 325 - easily the weakest issue of the 4 and not the issue I expected coming from the previous one. It is more table setting as the majority of the issue is centered on a Hell faction led by Cordelia who is interested in getting Al on their side to be able to take the throne of Hell and we later find out that Cordelia has rounded up several Spawns we haven't seen yet including Pirate Spawn, Assassin's Creed Spawn, Detective Spawn, and Centurion Spawn which ties into the beginning of the issue and the introduction of the Forsaken aka Dark Redeemer. Outside of that, the issue completely side steps Al's conversation with New Redeemer in favor of Al being on the hunt for Cogliostro to fix the time tear he caused but ends up finding someone that I was excited to see but sadly the issue cuts away just as they were about to throw down. I appreciate the table setting going on here, but the issue just had too much talking for me that wasn't as good as Jim & Marc's conversation from last issue and also Al already took the throne of Hell once before so are we really trying for that storyline again? Al lamenting about not wanting to be a celebrity despite the fact that he himself said back in the 290s that he would save their souls to the public and making public appearances in Spawn uniform just makes me think of why Al couldn't just ask Jim to go back to being a celebrity in the public-facing side if he wasn't such a jerk to him before. Also weird that Todd McFarlane is credited as the writer on the cover but the issue is done by Rory McConville again.

The Scorched #1 - pretty good debut here that works for fans entrenched into the Spawn Universe but not so much for those coming in cold. I like that this is essentially She Spawn's book which is long overdue and that she has to prove her worth with teammates that have way more experience than her. The book does tie a bit with King Spawn - the issue just about opens Avengers Age of Ultron style with Medieval, New Redeemer, Spawn, and She Spawn raiding a Psalms 137 hideout plus the fact that the mission the team is on is picking up a thread from the King Spawn book - and the main book - we find out a little of the conversation New Redeemer had with Al which I don't particularly like details from one book being filled in by another unless its a crossover event so hopefully that will be kept to a minimum for now. It is also better set for the immediate future compared to say Gunslinger's main title as the team is trying to protect Reaper, glad we are circling back to him after he vanished, but have to go on a side mission first to get someone that will serve the needs of the larger mission. I liked the art transition with the documents setting the stage for the players of interest and liked the art of the first half more than the second half. I liked it overall, but hopefully, we get a bit more with the team dynamics as the arc continues before the team shifts in any major way, have the team use their powers in unique ways to stand out like the mind meld that Medieval did here and the team taking down the giant locust creature was cool, and I could have done without the epilogue.
    King spawn 6 is coming tomorrow so we see a flashback on how Kincaid and wynn got their powers this series to said to focus on characters that were neglected and absent.

Gunslinger spawn Has violator returning too in mean you shouldn’t be suprised at this point violator died multiple times and he comes back same for billy and Jason wynn like the descriptions for the other gunslinger spawn issues have clown returning. You should know this by this point.

And scorched is basically she spawn and friends

The nine other books will most likely feature misery and Sam and twitch true detectives among them with eight more titles some of with would be events and new spin offs like Ken Kurosawa remake would be cool make him the spider-man of spawn and give him a redesign
    Last edited by Toxin45; 01-18-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Mighty Member

oh king spawn 6 is here now wynn explains how he came back and also we got a legion of doom in spawn now

Well, when I say issues 12 & 13 I mean of the main Spawn book where a certain Youngblood member ties into Al's history.
    Right now I am focused mainly on Spawn's life, but I am interested in the other titles and characters.

Mighty Member

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/01/21/ap...solicitations/

Looks like Spawn orgins volume 21 is coming along with record breaker volume also new issue of king spawn,gunslinger spawn,scorched,and spawn issues.

I don't know much about Spawn, I have read a few loose issues and, while I enjoyed them, I wasn't hooked. But nowadays, I'm watching the animated series on HBO Max and I find it a lot of fun. It gets me exasperated that his face remains in shadows for so long, and sometimes the plots can feel disjointed, but overall, it has a cool animation, great voice acting and score, and an identity of its own. Sadly, there are only two of three seasons in the streaming platform. Maybe one day I get my hands on the first volumes of Spawn, or buy them in Comixology if there is a big sale (I know there was one recently, but I only buy digital if comicbooks are truly cheap, as I tend to enjoy physical copies much more)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I don't know much about Spawn, I have read a few loose issues and, while I enjoyed them, I wasn't hooked. But nowadays, I'm watching the animated series on HBO Max and I find it a lot of fun. It gets me exasperated that his face remains in shadows for so long, and sometimes the plots can feel disjointed, but overall, it has a cool animation, great voice acting and score, and an identity of its own. Sadly, there are only two of three seasons in the streaming platform. Maybe one day I get my hands on the first volumes of Spawn, or buy them in Comixology if there is a big sale (I know there was one recently, but I only buy digital if comicbooks are truly cheap, as I tend to enjoy physical copies much more)
    There was also the movie and video games too

Incredible Member

Spawn Origins Vol 21 is the only thing that I’m excited about, lol. More of Medina’s run needs to be collected, but it almost seems pointless with the giant Spawn Collections being released…

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Spawn Origins Vol 21 is the only thing that I’m excited about, lol. More of Medina’s run needs to be collected, but it almost seems pointless with the giant Spawn Collections being released…
    Oh don’t be like blanks this is just collecting classic volumes the compendiums are just collections the third and fourth would collect issues 101-150 and 151-200 with the fifth collecting 201-250 with the spawn resurrection one as a bonus.

At least we are getting classic spawn issues being collected now