Page 60 of 124 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Incredible Member

That's the thing, I'm looking at my copy on comixology right now and many of the pages that are supposed to be double page spreads appear to only be single pages.

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

Fun fact, I had the exact same dillema - I think those that look like single pages are actually double page spreads but maybe vertical rather than horizontal.

I like how they are trying to streamline the story going into #300, and it's actually really nice to see Nyx again. I can't believe they are delving that far back to resolve plot points; the level setting was much needed. The art was stellar throughout, loving this.

Mighty Member

Hey Guys I am new and I used to love Spawn when i was younger now I read the recent issues,So Glad to be here. Also after 301 issues would todd now work on the movie and new animated tv show? hope Sam and Twitch:True Deceives and Misery come out soon along with the Sam and Twitch tv show. Also Mother of Existnce appeared in 297, so she is still canon along with the armageddon arc, but no Morana and Spawn Resurrection/Satan Wars are still canon too so confusing. 298 got Nyx,Jessica,and Eddie Frank back so that is cool. SO about the demon from 290,293,294,and 298 who is that guy that is Violator's current benafator? I mean Malebolgia came back to life after taking over's Freak's body until Jim Downing beat him so wondering if Malebolgia is still around. Hope Jade from the hbo series makes her debut as a recurring character and basically replacing Angela from the comics by this point. Also Spawn is now in MK11 happy hopefully there would be Spawn video games again.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 07-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Yeah I'm excited to see how they pulled Spawn off in MK11.

There are certainly a lot of questions going into #300. I like that they are referring to old story-lines that I assumed were forgotten and trashed, seems like they are intent on doing a soft level-set going into the new Spawn era, which is quite refreshing, and the art is spectacular.

Mighty Member

Yeah after ressurection and Onwards, change some things with al never had abused Wanda and had a son who was still born not a daughter he tried to kill,as said abuse was a false memory by he'll to get him into suicide while God is now more benevolent and actually helps spawn to save Wanda and his unborn son's soul. Mother of existence still exists while morana got retconed guess Todd didn't like that al was a wife beater or something. Meanwhile leetha's origins were changed into being a suit made by violator and Malebolgia from the souls from al's vicitum back when he was a cia agent. Also the origins of hellspawns what that they were modeled after the first hellspawn who was a fusion of a white demon and a black angel with Malebolgia and violator responsible for creating the other hellspawns and their suits from the essence of the original hellspawn. Also I hope jade from the animated series shows up in the comics as Angela's replacement.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-30-2019 at 04:58 AM.

Mighty Member

Also anyone remember the upcoming spin-offs Sam and Twitch True detectives mini-series and the Misery ongoing series?

Incredible Member

With the recent news regarding Rob Liefield not owning Youngblood’s for the past 20 years, it looks like Todd dodged another bullet, when they reconned Al’s killer to just being Priest back in the day.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    With the recent news regarding Rob Liefield not owning Youngblood’s for the past 20 years, it looks like Todd dodged another bullet, when they reconned Al’s killer to just being Priest back in the day.
    Agreed now with Jessica back and Angela now apart of marvel I wouldn't be suprise that Angela was retconed with jade by this point and possibly bring Tiffany back too. So what was the first bullet Todd dodge.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Also anyone remember the upcoming spin-offs Sam and Twitch True detectives mini-series and the Misery ongoing series?
    I definitely do. I remember hearing that the Sam & Twitch mini is supposed to come out closer to the Spawn movie's release since the movie will follow Twitch and as for Misery who knows. It was supposed to come out last year, but didn't. I'm excited to see how Spawn will look in MK11. From what Todd said, it sounds like they are nailing down the character with callbacks for the Spawn fans.

I've actually had the chance to catch up with issues 293 - 299 and first off I will say that Jason Shawn Alexander's art has been fantastic. Really feels like Todd's understood what makes his art work and have been enjoying that and the series as a whole feels invigorated. 293 saw Gabrielle return to the series which was nice along with a new heaven villain in Godsend. It felt like a typical issue of Spawn from the past, moving away from a mostly talking heads issue to an action one and I enjoyed that. 294 & 295 have Spawn and Violator fight once again and these transformations Al has been doing have been pretty cool as here he transforms into the Violator himself. A good deal of action and grandstanding on the part of Clown, as he often does, which becomes his undoing and Spawn turns the tables on him with help from Freak, Overtkill, and Cygor. The callback to issue 61 with Clown's head on a pike was a nice touch.

296 & 297 is the series victory lap going through the history of Al via a conversation between Cog and the Heaven forces. 298 & 299 are the setup for 300 & 301 as Al does a TV interview continuing to spread his message, Marc is targeted by the heavenly forces that leads to a battle with Spawn and the Rapture in 299 while Nyx is back into the story and Jessica Priest is reintroduced all the while Wanda's killer is preparing something and Marc has beef with Al about the fact that his plan is hurting the humans. Its been fine enough though I feel a few things could be better. First, in issue 298 we are told that the Redeemer we are seeing now is Redeemer III - Eddie, one of the brothers that Spawn saved way back when who I thought lost his powers when was defeated and the Redeemer we saw in the Downing era is the new Redeemer - a complete unknown. So somehow and for some reason Heaven made Eddie a Redeemer again? Seems weird and feel like that could have been clarified in issues 296 & 297. In those same 2 issues, was Cog throwing off Heaven regarding the fact that he tells them that Al hasn't discovered Legion? Feels weird since clearly Heaven and Hell saw him do it in the Armageddon arc and I think Cog saw him do it too, but you never know what Cog's plans are. I also found those 2 issues a bit repetitious and apparently looking back both Heaven and Hell had so many signals as to the fact that Al was different that it kinda paints both sides as being dumb.

Also, while I liked how the news reports were talking about how Al's files were missing for that to payoff with Cog giving them to Marc, I do wonder about the news story about Cyan missing mentioned in 295. Did she disappear after the events of the Dark Horror arc of her own will and we may find out in the Misery book or did Hell capture her and we'll find out soon enough? I do like the fact that we have been diving a bit deeper into the Heaven stuff and hopefully the payoff as to who Wanda's killer is and what he is planning with the infection is a good one. I'm cautious about Nyx coming back and Jessica Priest being introduced as Todd does have the habit of bringing back older characters out of the blue and not doing much with them, but we'll see. I am cautiously optimistic regarding 300 & 301 and good to know those two issues tell a complete story at least according to Todd.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 08-09-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    I definitely do. I remember hearing that the Sam & Twitch mini is supposed to come out closer to the Spawn movie's release since the movie will follow Twitch and as for Misery who knows. It was supposed to come out last year, but didn't. I'm excited to see how Spawn will look in MK11. From what Todd said, it sounds like they are nailing down the character with callbacks for the Spawn fans.

I've actually had the chance to catch up with issues 293 - 299 and first off I will say that Jason Shawn Alexander's art has been fantastic. Really feels like Todd's understood what makes his art work and have been enjoying that and the series as a whole feels invigorated. 293 saw Gabrielle return to the series which was nice along with a new heaven villain in Godsend. It felt like a typical issue of Spawn from the past, moving away from a mostly talking heads issue to an action one and I enjoyed that. 294 & 295 have Spawn and Violator fight once again and these transformations Al has been doing have been pretty cool as here he transforms into the Violator himself. A good deal of action and grandstanding on the part of Clown, as he often does, which becomes his undoing and Spawn turns the tables on him with help from Freak, Overtkill, and Cygor. The callback to issue 61 with Clown's head on a pike was a nice touch.

296 & 297 is the series victory lap going through the history of Al via a conversation between Cog and the Heaven forces. 298 & 299 are the setup for 300 & 301 as Al does a TV interview continuing to spread his message, Marc is targeted by the heavenly forces that leads to a battle with Spawn and the Rapture in 299 while Nyx is back into the story and Jessica Priest is reintroduced all the while Wanda's killer is preparing something and Marc has beef with Al about the fact that his plan is hurting the humans. Its been fine enough though I feel a few things could be better. First, in issue 298 we are told that the Redeemer we are seeing now is Redeemer III - Eddie, one of the brothers that Spawn saved way back when who I thought lost his powers when was defeated and the Redeemer we saw in the Downing era is the new Redeemer - a complete unknown. So somehow and for some reason Heaven made Eddie a Redeemer again? Seems weird and feel like that could have been clarified in issues 296 & 297. In those same 2 issues, was Cog throwing off Heaven regarding the fact that he tells them that Al hasn't discovered Legion? Feels weird since clearly Heaven and Hell saw him do it in the Armageddon arc and I think Cog saw him do it too, but you never know what Cog's plans are. I also found those 2 issues a bit repetitious and apparently looking back both Heaven and Hell had so many signals as to the fact that Al was different that it kinda paints both sides as being dumb.

Also, while I liked how the news reports were talking about how Al's files were missing for that to payoff with Cog giving them to Marc, I do wonder about the news story about Cyan missing mentioned in 295. Did she disappear after the events of the Dark Horror arc of her own will and we may find out in the Misery book or did Hell capture her and we'll find out soon enough? I do like the fact that we have been diving a bit deeper into the Heaven stuff and hopefully the payoff as to who Wanda's killer is and what he is planning with the infection is a good one. I'm cautious about Nyx coming back and Jessica Priest being introduced as Todd does have the habit of bringing back older characters out of the blue and not doing much with them, but we'll see. I am cautiously optimistic regarding 300 & 301 and good to know those two issues tell a complete story at least according to Todd.
    yeah The current Redeemer from the Downing arc was still Eddie Frank apparently Heaven liked him enough to keep him as their Redeemer premenattly and he is also married to a woman named Victoia guess Eddie got older enough for marriage it seems. Also Cog did betray al in the past issues to take Malebolgia's place but when he came back in the Downing arc it's revealed that he gave up the throne to other demons and went back to earth for some reason. Overall I am gald you enjoyed it so far also 302 will reveal that Spawn has two new allies The Reaper and She Spawn:Jessica Priest,and Medieval spawn was revived in the present. Also would love to see Sam and Twitch again also Mother of Creation still is canon but MOrana is no longer spawn's daughter and he was never abusive husband to wanda that was simply a false memory by the demons to get him into suicide apparently also he had a son who was stillborn rather than a daughter he himself aborted. Hopefully Cyan will show up as well too bad about Angela and Chapel no longer being canon thanks to being sold out.Also Todd is changing the script on the movie.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-09-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Anyone else find this funny?IMG_20190813_201930234.jpg

Mighty Member

Also here is a list of Spawn spin-offs
    Violator (1994)
    A three-issue miniseries written by Alan Moore with art by Bart Sears which focused on the conflict between Violator/Clown and Tony Twist and also featured Spawn.
    Angela miniseries (1994–1995)
    In 1994 and 1995, a three-issue Angela limited series was published, written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Greg Capullo. The series along with Angela's one-shot were later reprinted in a trade paperback (ISBN 1-887279-09-1), which, as of 2005, is out-of-print.[20]
    Violator vs Badrock (1995)
    A four issue miniseries released in 1995 written by Alan Moore. Drawn by Brian Denham. Ink by Jonathan Sibal & Danny Miki.

Spawn: Blood Feud (1995)
    A four issue miniseries released in 1995 written by Alan Moore. Drawn by Tony Daniel. Ink by Kevin Conrad.
    Spawn The Impaler (1996)
    A three issue miniseries released in October 1996, inspired by the story of the Wallacian voivode Vlad Țepeș. Written by Mike Grell with art by Rob Prior.
    Medieval Spawn / Witchblade (1996)
    A three issue miniseries written by Garth Ennis. Medieval Spawn and the wielder of the Witchblade team up against Lord Cardinale, wielder of the Darkness
    Curse of the Spawn (1996–1999)
    The first long-term monthly spinoff series. Consisted of a number of story arcs centered on supporting characters from the main series, such as a future Hellspawn during the Apocalypse or Sam & Twitch. Aimed at an older demographic than the main series and significantly darker in tone, with more disturbing visuals and themes. 29 issues.
    Spawn: The Dark Ages (1999–2001)
    This series focused on Lord Covenant, a 12th Century knight killed in a holy crusade far from his homeland, who returns to Earth as a Hellspawn. As a plague of violence and turmoil cover the English countryside, the Dark Knight must choose whether to align himself with the innocent inhabitants of the once-thriving kingdom or with the malevolent forces of evil and corruption. The series ran for 28 issues. Issues 15–28 featured writer Steve Niles and artist Nat Jones.
    Spawn: Blood and Shadows (1999)
    A Spawn prestige-format one shot released in 1999. Written by Paul Jenkins with art by Ashley Wood.
    Cy-Gor (1999)
    A six issue spinoff miniseries.
    Spawn: The Undead (1999–2000)
    This series concentrates on Al Simmons. Unlike the original Spawn series, it was self-contained, single-issue stories. Written by Paul Jenkins it lasted 9 issues.
    Sam & Twitch (1999–2004) +
    A spin-off series following the crime investigations of detectives Sam Burke and Twitch Williams. 26 issues
    Case Files: Sam & Twitch (2003–2006)
    Cotinuation of Sam & Twitch. 25 issues.
    Sam & Twitch: The Writer (2010)
    A four issue miniseries.
    Hellspawn (2000–2003)
    A relatively avant-garde spin-off comic inspired by Spawn. Darker and more atmospheric than Spawn, Hellspawn frequently dealt with disturbing subject matter. It originally featured writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Ashley Wood. It ran 16 issues.
    Spawn: Simony (2003)
    One-Shot. Published in 2003 by Semic of France, McFarlane allowed the creators (Jean-François Porchero and Alex Nikolavitch) to create an original Spawn tale without using Image comics.
    Shadows of Spawn (2005–2006)
    Recently released on American shores are three graphic novel compilations of the Spawn manga, known as Shadows of Spawn.
    Spawn: Architects of Fear (2011)
    A prestige format one-shot released in February 2008. Written by Arthur Claire with artwork by Aleksi Briclot.
    Spawn: Blood and Salvation
    A prestige-format one-shot that concludes the story of Daniel Llanso, the Hellspawn featured in the first four issues of Curse of the Spawn.
    The Adventures of Spawn

Cover of Spawn/Batman Polish edition. Art by Todd McFarlane.
    At the San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) '06 it was announced that a new take on the Spawn mythos was in the works. This new Spawn story is known as The Adventures of Spawn and as stated by Jon Goff, a moderator on the Spawn.com Message Board and McFarlane employee, it is a re-imagining of the Spawn story that is essentially a "What If?" universe that hearkens back to classic kid-friendly Saturday morning cartoons. The story takes place in a webcomic format and has been tied into the action figure world through McFarlane Toys' Spawn Series 30.
    Misery
    An upcoming series centered around Cyan Fitzgerald and her titular alter-ego.
    Spawn-Witchblade
    A four Issue mini series ceterend in medieval times focusing on the Medival Spawn and the Wileder of the Witchblade of that time.A sequel to the 1993 series.
    Sam and Twitch True Detectives
    An eight-part mini series focusing on Sam and Twitch which would tie in with the upcoming film.

Spawn Kills Everyone
    A one-shot focusing on a chibi Spawn killing everyone

Spawn kills Everyone Too!
    a four mini series sequel to the one shot Spawn kills everyone.

Angela & Aria
    A crossover between Angela & Aria

Angela & Glory
    A crossover between Angela and Glory.

Celestine
    About Celestine from the other spin-offs.

So yeah Spawn had a lot of Spin-offs

Fantastic Member

Pretty interesting to note that in 303 they will be revisiting the Medieval Spawn in the Vatican plot point from the Downing era. Should be interesting and great cover!

Great list above of the different mini series. To add a few more:

- Spawn Toys - 1994 - had an accompanying comic with them. A total of 10 one shots, one for each toy, though the its shorter than a standard issue comic.

- Spawn Fan - 1996 - a 3 issue series that introduced Norse Hellspawn

- Spawn/WildC.A.T.S - 1996 - 4 issue mini series which saw Spawn team up with the WildC.A.T.S where they fought a future Al Simmons Spawn who became a tyrant after killing Malebolgia.

The Spawn cameos are pretty nuts too!

Also, Spawn revealed for Mortal Kombat 11 this week and he looks fantastic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRjbIuJWtlg

Though him being so far away is a shame, but probably not Netherrealms decision on that.