Page 58 of 126 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Todd wants to get past that milestone issue, to be sure, but I can't imagine him stopping there. He wants Spawn to outlive him. He wants it to be Batman not Cerebus.
    Sounds good to me!

Yeah that's definitely good to hear, it wouldn't make much sense to stop now with them working on a new movie.

I am loving Jason Shawn Alexander's art, please keep this guy on Spawn for as long as possible!
    Last edited by KROENEN; 03-05-2019 at 07:43 AM.

I still love Spawn and the artwork is, as expected, amazing lately. I think the writing is a little sloppy at times though to be honest. . . I think after the milestone, a reboot wouldn't be a bad idea. After everything and the amount of just convoluted craziness that Spawn has ended up being, with a movie going and a sort of 'franchise reboot' for Spawn, letting the comic rest a little after the milestone and then rebooting it and rebuilding the mythos a bit and kicking off the narrative again, this time grounded in our 2019-20-onwards sensibility rather than the '90s, would be a really cool thing to experience. It would probably draw a lot of new readers in too.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, the slate could use a clean swipe, nail down what Spawn is and the rules of how this world works, who the major players are and what they are after. Is it time for another Spawn bible? Maybe do a flash forward a few years after this story-line concludes. I too find myself having a hard time wrapping my head around certain aspects of mythos.

All-New Member

I would like to see "Spawn" come to an end. And a reboot in a couple of years from now, I would strongly support a complete reset, but this time with a "real" writer on the helm. As much as I like Todd, but his writing became increasingly worse and the material he puts out every month is hard to read especially with those repetitive captions, like we need them. The story is not as sophisticated as he wants us to make believe and his constant emphasise on how Spawn planned everything is just annoying and stupid. For me the perfect end came with issue 164. I know I will be pretty much alone on that one, but most of the stuff that came out after 164 was mediocre at best.
    Last edited by Il Corvo; 03-17-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Corvo View Post
    I would like to see "Spawn" come to an end. And a reboot in a couple of years from now, I would strongly support a complete reset, but this time with a "real" writer on the helm. As much as I like Todd, but his writing became increasingly worse and the material he puts out every month is hard to read especially with those repetitive captions, like we need them. The story is not as sophisticated as he wants us to make believe and his constant emphasise on how Spawn planned everything is just annoying and stupid. For me the perfect end came with issue 164. I know I will be pretty much alone on that one, but most of the stuff that came out after 164 was medicore at best.
    Don't hold your breath. The large issue number is not something he's likely to abandon.

Not only is the writing bad and at times incomprehensible, every issue has some really horrible typos and errors in it. I don't mean in a nitpicking sense, I mean it's just clear that no one cares enough to do just basic stuff like putting some amount of care into what you are writing, proofreading it. There's a huge discrepancy between the artwork and the writing that really undermines the comic now...

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Not only is the writing bad and at times incomprehensible, every issue has some really horrible typos and errors in it. I don't mean in a nitpicking sense, I mean it's just clear that no one cares enough to do just basic stuff like putting some amount of care into what you are writing, proofreading it. There's a huge discrepancy between the artwork and the writing that really undermines the comic now...
    Yeah.. I've enjoyed the character and world of Spawn since it's inception but McFarlane (and most other Image Comics original artists) should mainly stick to art and leave the writing to professionals. I haven't read Spawn in quite some time and I'm not even sure who's writing it at the moment. Todd is an awesome artist, but his writing...not so much. Still, I have nothing but respect for the man and what he did with Image Comics. I remember meeting him early in his career when he was just starting his own Spider-man title (fresh off of Amazing Spidey) and having him sign some of his artwork. He's always been a favorite artist of mine.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Yeah.. I've enjoyed the character and world of Spawn since it's inception but McFarlane (and most other Image Comics original artists) should mainly stick to art and leave the writing to professionals. I haven't read Spawn in quite some time and I'm not even sure who's writing it at the moment. Todd is an awesome artist, but his writing...not so much. Still, I have nothing but respect for the man and what he did with Image Comics. I remember meeting him early in his career when he was just starting his own Spider-man title (fresh off of Amazing Spidey) and having him sign some of his artwork. He's always been a favorite artist of mine.
    Todd's writing it.

Of course, I respect him. He is a great artist, for sure but I have the feeling that he does not like to take advice from other people. Just watch the Paul Jenkins/Brian Wood-debacle...
    Anyway, "Spawn" is a big part of my childhood. I just hope that the writing will become better for future generations to come.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Todd has written a couple hundred comic books at this point--far more than many "professional" writers. You may not care for what he's doing but like it or not--he's a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Todd has written a couple hundred comic books at this point--far more than many "professional" writers. You may not care for what he's doing but like it or not--he's a professional.
    I didn't mean to imply that Todd isn't a "professional" writer. However, I do believe his main talent is "artist" and I think most would agree he makes a much better artist than a writer.

I really loved the original concept of Spawn as an undead soldier training on Earth to serve as a General in the army of Hell for the final battle against Heaven. Of course the character has evolved beyond all of that, but I really loved the days where he had a limited power gauge that would tick down every time he used his power, and was struggling to find a way out of his deal with the devil. As he learned the rules of this world the reader would learn them as well; seemed like there was more of a sense of urgency and vulnerability in the character. Now Al seems kind of unrelatable; he has knowledge about the rules that the reader doesn't, and it seems like with each new revelation a dozen more questions crop up.

EDIT: I really loved the last issue but I've always loved the Violator and Spawn's rogue gallery in general. Really digging this countdown to #300. I wonder who is in charge of the Clown now?
    Last edited by KROENEN; 03-28-2019 at 06:12 AM.

All-New Member

I have finished Spawn #295 today...

Okay, guys, listen, I will endure till 300 and then I am done for good. Month for month I try to ignore the repetitions and stupid twist and turns and pretentious dialogue, but no no no no. I can't stand it anymore.... I really feel sorry for "Spawn" I collect the book since the age of 7 and I wish I could do so until I am 70 but not with Todd as the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Corvo View Post
    I have finished Spawn #295 today...

Okay, guys, listen, I will endure till 300 and then I am done for good. Month for month I try to ignore the repetitions and stupid twist and turns and pretentious dialogue, but no no no no. I can't stand it anymore.... I really feel sorry for "Spawn" I collect the book since the age of 7 and I wish I could do so until I am 70 but not with Todd as the writer.
    Which goes back to the posting above where I stated McFarlane is an artist...not a writer (or at least a very GOOD writer). I like the guy and love his artwork but he really should have others write for him.

Picked up the new issue, the History of Spawn Part 1. Mainly for the art and wanting to reach the milestone. Love or hate, this is pretty monumental. And I was a huge Spawn fan in the past. But I was more so feeling burnt reading this and seeing the blatant retcon of certain developments that led to Al being Spawn that was established in 150-164. Such amazing development and stories just completely ignored. It sucks because we know Todd doesn't care for that run, but that was legit one of the better written eras of the series' whole run.

I wonder if he'll continue to ignore it with these trade collections.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.