Page 57 of 124 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Im pretty sure after issue 301, Todd will finally let Spawn go. He wanted the longest running indy comic to stick it to Dave Sim.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Incredible Member

I love Spawn. I’ve been following it since issue 65, then I backtracked and collected all the single issues prior and been collecting faithfully ever since. But seriously, after issue 300? Be it issue 301, or a brand new issue 1, Spawn needs a reboot. Because of the lawsuits, and other 90’s Image Books, the Spawn mythos can do for a massive relaunch. No Chapel, no Angela, nothing and anything that could ruin or sta or delay a new continuity.

Remember Jade from the animated Series? She can easily play the role that Angela filled. Plus for a series that is tied to Heaven/Hell mythology, there are TONs of concepts that hadn’t been touched. The “God” that was presented during the Armageddon arch that’s been wiped from Continuity? That could have easily been the Demiurge and that “Satan” that was shown could have been one of the Five “Satan’s” (with mythology, Lucifer was only one of 5 Satan’s).

Seriously, there could be so much potiental that a total Spawn reboot that Al Simmons could totally benifit from.

Fantastic Member

Todd's been talking for many years of getting the series past the number of issues that Cerebus did which was 300 and 2019 should see the series do that as we're only 8-9 issues away from that. Thing is, we haven't heard anything about the series ending anytime soon so I do wonder if it'll end at 301 so we'll see.

I think it should and honestly the series just needs to go away for a while and let it rest. Don't do an immediate reboot and instead with the series over, Todd can focus on getting the character out there in other ways with the movie and/or a new animated series, the latter of which he's talked about that too. Get those things off the ground and maybe do a one shot or a mini series here and there. If it were to do a reboot, I want an entirely new team just like Witchblade, Cyber Force, and Youngblood have done and no Al Simmons. I will always attach Todd with Spawn and Al, but the mythos is ripe for another character to take on the mantle successfully (not like Jim Downing) and really make the most of the Heaven/Hell mythos (if I hear "the religious books have gotten wrong" one more time!) and if you need Al in it, make him a mentor as a passing of the torch. The most important thing, though, is having Todd not co-write on the reboot and really let the new team do their thing their way. Otherwise if its just Todd not letting a new team find their way and its more of him getting involved more and more, like we saw with the Dark Horror arc or when Al came back, then its no different to what we have now.

I've really liked the art lately, more horror oriented and appropriate for the title, but the story still isn't quite up to par. They have a habit of setting things up for the long game that never actually plays out. I have every issue published of Spawn (and Hellboy and Walking Dead), been there since the beginning, and will never give up on it. I really don't think they are ending it at 300 as some people are speculating. I think with a different writer it can really go places.

Does anyone know what happened to the reissues of the Spawn Origins collection?
    It was due to be released in November, then December now I can’t seem to find anything about it.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Just getting into Spawn, and I’m interested in picking some fans thoughts on the book. I currently own the Angela mini from ‘94-‘95, and the Medieval Spawn and Witchblade mini from ‘96. I’m currently bidding on a large run from the beginning on eBay, and just wondering if there’s anyplace I can read some reviews, or like a site that gives me a reading order on what I should be picking up?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

BANNED

Everyone whoever read Spawn as a kid (like me) says the parts which were written by Todd McFarlane will disappoint you as an adult... they are not very good. So i can't bring myself to reread it again, my Spawn Origin OHCs are still all shrink wrapped but i will keep on getting them, if they make anymore after the 10th book, 'cause of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Just getting into Spawn, and I’m interested in picking some fans thoughts on the book. I currently own the Angela mini from ‘94-‘95, and the Medieval Spawn and Witchblade mini from ‘96. I’m currently bidding on a large run from the beginning on eBay, and just wondering if there’s anyplace I can read some reviews, or like a site that gives me a reading order on what I should be picking up?
    Having recently gotten into Spawn myself, I've found this link pretty helpful:

http://www.spawnworld.com/forums/vie...c18514db41b7cd

As far as reviews, you can often google reviews of specific issues. Or if the issue is collected, you can search out reviews of that trade to at least get a sense of the general quality at that point in the series.

Side note -- I'm having a ton of fun gradually moving through this series. I've read some criticisms of the writing quality, but I think it suits the general aesthetic of the comic. So far, at least. And I've also just always loved the concept and characters of Spawn.

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMachine View Post
    Side note -- I'm having a ton of fun gradually moving through this series. I've read some criticisms of the writing quality, but I think it suits the general aesthetic of the comic. So far, at least. And I've also just always loved the concept and characters of Spawn.
    I'm the same. Spawn is hardly very deep and thought provoking, but one look at a badass image of Violator and all is forgiven.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

For anyone who doesn't mind reading their comics digitally there is presently a Spawn Humble Bundle that is quite substantial. Volumes 1-20 of Spawn Origins, and a few more treats.

Straight up, I don't even care for Spawn but I saw this thread bumped, and thought that some would find it to be a good deal.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Man, I got the HBO series on DVD about 10 years ago and loved it. Thought the movie was okay not great like the series. Are there any trades that someone who's never read Spawn but loved the cartoon could easily get into?

Man the cartoon was great, probably a bit ahead of its time. I hate that they ended it without resolving any of the ongoing plots, but that's TV, hopefully they can spin a new cartoon out after the next movie is made. I'm hoping for the best, but I my benchmark for it will be very low. Even as a huge fan of the character I hated the first movie.

Just started watching the toon an Amazon and I’m pleasantly surprised. I remember as a kid briefly catching some of it but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be then.

I am glad that, according to the latest solicitations, they are laying down a definitive history for Al Simmons. I've been following the comic since the beginning and even I am confused about his story and how the rules of this world work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Im pretty sure after issue 301, Todd will finally let Spawn go. He wanted the longest running indy comic to stick it to Dave Sim.
    Todd wants to get past that milestone issue, to be sure, but I can't imagine him stopping there. He wants Spawn to outlive him. He wants it to be Batman not Cerebus.