Page 94 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1876

Thread: Spawn

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Reboot or not, good writing or bad I’m sure we can all agree that the comic looks amazing.
    True the art is good

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    I have met some new readers of spawn who love edgy stuff oh I understand how the industry works like people got tired of multiverse of the big two and got tired of the reboots,same stories,and status quos so they liked liniar and completed stories like manga and web comics.Most people don’t even read comcis these days just watch movies and tv shows. Besides spawn is actually quite tame compared to other books like invincible and savage dragon.

Besides this is Todd’s book albeit barely these days and he decides if it reboots and hire writers and artists for it but it is still owned by him I wouldn’t be surprised if he wrote the reboot comics too some of the iconic characters and stories were written by others but still he took back over. Like quite saying reboots it is never gonna happen todd is too stuborn to sell out spawn to other companies anyways so it was kinda pointless. The only character that is iconic is well spawn and people read spawn for todd
    I don’t think People read Spawn for Todd, at least his writing. Most folks here seem to see that Todd is the problem with Spawn and that his writing is, well it’s never been good. What People want is his art, but he is too busy to do that.

Also, American comics and Manga both hold different cultures and have different availability for purchase. I feel we need to stop comparing the two as its apples and oranges.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I don’t think People read Spawn for Todd, at least his writing. Most folks here seem to see that Todd is the problem with Spawn and that his writing is, well it’s never been good. What People want is his art, but he is too busy to do that.

Also, American comics and Manga both hold different cultures and have different availability for purchase. I feel we need to stop comparing the two as its apples and oranges.
    People like art more if the art is good the don’t care for writing. But on other sites like Reddit and gamefaqs state they don’t like the reboots that dc does it and marvel relaunches and renumbers their titles on other sites plus the status quo being a pain. The comparisons will never stop with other people. In past interviews Todd state that he would never reboot spawn comics anyway and will probably entourage other writers and artists not to reboot much like how marvel doesn’t reboot their titles.

Mighty Member

Todd got the broken city movie writer for the reboot movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I missed this bit of your post the first time. Im a huge fan of that exact storyline you are referring to: 116 or so to 121. Not many people talk about that online but thats probably my favorite Spawn arc of the whole run. I always thought that would have made the perfect ending to the Spawn comic. The surprise double cross twist by the character weve grown to trust over the 100+ issues - Al thrown back to earth as a human and just end it there. Would make a great reboot point too as you said.

Very good point about 149 as well - it seemed that was the end point for all of the key people involved of the core Spawn story. Todd eventually came back but with no plan whatsoever - just wandering for 100+ issues.
    That arch is one of my favorite ones too. And I agree, IF Spawn had ended there…. It would have been an great place. I’ll always stand by it. Cogs double cross abs reveal…. Perfect.

Honestly, I tend to (in my mind at least) like to pretend that Spawn issue 122-123 onward to current is an alternate reality from the end of Hellspawn issue 16. Both of those series had Al crawling out the grave alive again. Either one of those are a nice “reset” point.

I actually had a letter printed in two Spawn issues; issue 127 if I remember.
    Last edited by Blanks; 09-04-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    That arch is one of my favorite ones too. And I agree, IF Spawn had ended there…. It would have been an great place.

I actually had a letter printed in two Spawn issues; issue 127 if I remember.
    Todd said it won’t reboot though besides it wouldn’t work that way besides no renumbering or relaunching either from him sequel series are the thing if you want new stuff and soft reboots.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-04-2021 at 05:48 PM.

I just jumped on the bandwagon. Here is a quick write up.

In 1992 I was 7 years old and some of the most famous comics were being printed. The Death Of Superman and Batman Knightfall were rocking the world, oh and this guy name Todd McFarlane dropped some of the most iconic story and imagery in the most successful author owned comic in history. SPAWN!

Thing was I was just a little kid and basically into DC and Marvel... and 30ish years later not much had change.

I'd watched the film which while custom wise was brilliant, some cool Sfx and Clown being preformed fantasticly... over all it was a disappointment... though I'm tempted to revisit it.

Crave HBO has the old animated Spawn series and I found it hypnotically appealing, so.... it would have ended there but--

--Then King Spawn and Spawn's Universe drop and a series that was over 300 issues deep had two, #1's and Gunslinger and Scorched will be dropping soon too, adding even more #1's.

So I decided to dive in, first with King Spawn #1, then with Spawn's Universe #1 and original series with Spawn #310 to #321.

Whoa! Fantastic! Now I've added the
    ------
    Spawn Compendium
    ------
    to my list of must purchase and read! Probably pick it up next Saturday.

Honesty if you've ever had a morbid curiosity for Spawn but never actual read anything. Do yourself a huge favor and read this series!
    Last edited by Menacer; 09-07-2021 at 07:06 AM.

Mighty Member

King spawn 3 has two awesome variant covers one is spawn meeting a child with a crown and the other is billy Kincaid luring children.

Also spawn 324 has spawn trying to get his soul back from an old enemy and cog as sinn appears

https://twitter.com/wes_greer/status...47427154980864
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-05-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Spectacular Member

I’ve decided to do a reread from issue 1 and I’m about to start issue 5. I don’t know if it is nostalgia but it feels like it reads way better than the current run. Todd’s art still looks amazing and I absolutely love the introductions of Clown and Violator. The designs were like nothing else at that time.

Incredible Member

I actually feel that Todd’s artwork was not as good in those early issues (1-15) compared to the art that he provided in Spider-Man prior to launching Spawn. At times, it felt kinda lazy in some panels, using Spawns cape to bloat out backgrounds or not even drawing Spawn at all, just the cape folds.

I mean, I get it, Todd had his hands in a lot of things, getting his Toy Company up and running. But to me, even looking back at those issues in their black and white companion (issues 1-50), it almost feels like Todd wasn’t trying to hard with those issues. But that’s me looking back now. As a kid, to me it was the best of the best.

Mighty Member

Now king spawn issue 2 preview billy wants the crown to take over shell as new king also toy reviews on the figures seems to be positive
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-08-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Spectacular Member

I am reading the digital versions of the comics and I don’t know if anyone already knew this but Tony Twist is now named Vito Gravano.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I am reading the digital versions of the comics and I don’t know if anyone already knew this but Tony Twist is now named Vito Gravano.
    Yeah it was due to lawsuit cuz the real hockey player Tony twist sued Todd for using his name

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Yeah it was due to lawsuit cuz the real hockey player Tony twist sued Todd for using his name
    Yeah I know about the lawsuit, I just didn’t know it actually resulted in relettering the comics to take the name out.

Fantastic Member

Well finally had a chance to read both King Spawn #1 and Spawn #321.

King Spawn #1 main story - I liked it. Felt old school going the murder mystery route and certainly feels like its taking some cues from when Kincaid first came back (issues 80 - 86 for newcomers as I think it is worth a read). Nice to see Sam & Twitch be a little involved. That said, is it enough to carry its own ongoing series? Right now while it is early I would say no as it feels like it could be an arc in the main book or a seasonal mini-series with a beginning, middle, and end but time will tell. One issue I am having recently is that they are making Jessica a little too emotional in the "Oh my Gosh they do that, I can't handle that" when she is a trained government operative who supposedly has had dark missions and so I just don't buy that she is continually put off by this when others aren't. That said, Sean Lewis and Javi make a good team here and I am interested to see where it goes next. For those that have read other Sean Lewis titles, any recommendations?

King Spawn #1 backstories - we get a continuation of the Gunslinger story from Spawn Universe which ends up being the best of the backups. That said, I'm personally not a fan of Booth's art, but we'll see how the main Gunslinger series goes when it comes out next month. Haunt comes back after making a slight appearance during the Downing era and is cured by Eddie Redeemer who has been doing his own thing. We also get two new characters - Nightmare Spawn and Komox. The former feels a little derivative from Haunt in the sense it is another brother dynamic, but this one is entirely Hell focused with one of them in Hell hoping for the Hell zones to open and the latter I found to be the weakest backup of them all as by the end like Spawn I thought well that happened. If anything it strikes me as odd that we have gotten nothing for 2 years on Ninja Spawn, Mandarin Spawn, the other sort of Medieval like Spawn, and the Ogre Spawn from 300/301. I assume the Scorched team book will be She Spawn, Redeemer, Haunt, Marc/Medieval Spawn, and one of the new characters here or maybe some of the previous Spawns I mentioned.

Spawn #321 - speaking of, what the hell was this issue. The very definition of a nothing issue centered on two things - where is Medieval Spawn and files. The latter is uninteresting and the former feels like someone not aware of what he has written previously because Spawn has a heated argument with Jessica and Marc about where Medieval Spawn is, how they have to find out who killed Wanda (which was already done in issue 300/301), who killed Marc's girlfriend who Spawn already killed, where Freak is (which Downing told him where he was), where Curse was (which Al just forgot to ask Downing about him), and how the base is compromised and Jessica/Marc are liabilities even though Al was the one who brought Medieval to the base! It is incredibly stupid, makes Al like a child throwing a random tantrum, and led to an unintentionally hilarious moment where after said heated argument apparently Al "spins and walks away" which is hilarious to visualize. This felt like someone that just had to fill pages and move nothing forward as this is not the type of writing that will make anyone stick around for future issues or the universe.