Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4787939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1456

Thread: Spawn

  1. #1441
    Incredible Member Menacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Two LCSs near me have tons of King Spawn #1s sitting on the shelves. The shop owners said no one is buying them - while the main Spawn book sells decently.
    So you have a very weak overall story and horrible writing - this is not going to carry 4 books for long.
    KING Spawn is the reason I started collecting spawn

    I now own the Spawn Compendium 50 issue book
    King Spawn 1 and 2
    SPAWNS Universe 1
    SPAWN 310 to 322

    My comic book guy at my store told me he hasnt seen spawn move like this since the release in the 90s, described it as spawn being back.

    Any case I'll eventually collect everything.

    Never read spawn. Until just a couple months ago

    Im enjoyed all of it but the newer stuff is way more polished then anything ive read in the Compendium... and im over a dozen issues deep in that.

    My favorite has been Spawns Universe. And King Spawn 1 and 2.

    But everything is enjoyable

  2. #1442
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    303

    Default

    I think I read somewhere that Spawn Compendium book 2 drops in November this year.

    In all honestly, those first 100 issues read pretty damn good once you read them all in one great setting, without having to wait forever between issues monthly to read them. To me, Spawn was the best from issues 1-120 (I enjoyed 121-125 ad well, but it seemed that 1-120 was a good PERIOD on what I call the first stable era of Spawn).

    The overall sold story of Spawns continuity unravelled after Armageddon, mainly because Todd retconned practically everything from 150-184. Makes me wonder how that 4th Spawn Compendium will be; like, will certain things be rewritten, like how they changed Tony Twists name.

    At least the first three Spawn Compendiums will be a fun and easy read.
    Last edited by Blanks; 10-11-2021 at 12:57 PM.

  3. #1443
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    303

    Default

    I kinda personally like to pretend (at least in my own head canon) that the Spawn comic we have been reading is a continuation from Hellspawn Issue 16, when Al was resurrected in that series, and there are two different Spawn timelines and the main Spawn timeline hasn’t progressed since issue 120’s ending, lol.

    I know that’s not the case, but I like to imagine that sometimes when I get frustrated with this books fluid continuity at times.

  4. #1444
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I kinda personally like to pretend (at least in my own head canon) that the Spawn comic we have been reading is a continuation from Hellspawn Issue 16, when Al was resurrected in that series, and there are two different Spawn timelines and the main Spawn timeline hasn’t progressed since issue 120’s ending, lol.

    I know that’s not the case, but I like to imagine that sometimes when I get frustrated with this books fluid continuity at times.
    Just ignore the continuity 120 is a cliffhanger not really an ending and it continues when al gets his powers back 296 and 297 references some of the events Just let it go and not a good idea to end there your headcannon it doesn't make sense. they still mention cog's betrayal and him becoming a villain and taking on the name sinn It dosen't need to end at 120. Armageddon still happened with mother existence still metnioned.

    The third pack would be 101-150 since the first two were 1-50 for the first volume and 51–100. The fourth would be 151-200 and the fifth would 201-250 with spawn resurrection one shot. Sixth would be 251-300 and possible seventh would be 301-350 would spawn universe included.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 10-11-2021 at 06:39 PM.

  5. #1445
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    588

    Default

    new spawn figures include gunslinger spawn again,dark redeemer,She-Spawn(Jessica Priest),Soul crusher,and Cy-gor.

  6. #1446
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    303

    Default

    My comic shop didn’t get all their books in today, so all I ended up getting was just the Spawn I missed last week and the Spawn they did get today. Just dropped 70 dollars for King Spawn #3 and it’s variant and Spawn: Gunslinger issue #1. Even got the Capullo variant Cover along with all the other variant covers. That cover alone was 40 bucks… sigh. What I do/spend for Spawn….

    Gunslinger? I really don’t see this book lasting long. I wanted to enjoy it, but I was just bored with it entirely. Here’s hoping it’ll pick up the pace real soon.

    King Spawn feels like Spawn of the old. I missed this. I’ll re-read them again after work, to really absorb the stories again.
    Last edited by Blanks; 10-27-2021 at 12:59 PM.

  7. #1447
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    588

    Default

    well finally read king spawn 3 and gunslinger spawn online dang kincaid got buffed while it is cool to see Gunslinger being the batman to al's superman.

  8. #1448
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Well with issue 323 out, figured to give my thoughts on that, King Spawn 3, and Gunslinger 1.

    Spawn 323 - Vampire leader guy - "Hey want to join forces and oh btw we took advantage of what you did and feasted on the humans in the town." Spawn - "How about no!" and kills the vampire leader. Rather meh issue honestly where this and the last issue easily could have been combined. Tired of yet another vampire horde and reminding how Spawn is part vampire which is a hangover from the Downing era that I just don't care for. Really feels like Todd has been on autopilot with the main book for a while now. Not sure what plot Rory McConville provides, but he is credited as that in this issue along with Todd doing the script and plot too.

    King Spawn 3 - rather okay on this one and the best book of the three imo. It starts with Terry and Spawn having a fight because Terry is legit asking where Cyan is and how Al likes war only for Al to go on a monologue about his history that Terry is aware of that started the issue on the wrong foot for me. It then transitions to Terry, Al, Marc, and Jessica seeing the Psalms group terrorize worldwide, a feral Spawn is making some noise in Russia, and one particular point Al picks up on as Kincaid being the cause of it all. The Spawns split to tackle everything, but its here that Marc just vanishes and Medieval appears so do they know Marc is Medieval and if not then how come they don't wonder where Marc went given the situation. Also, Al isn'y wondering about Medieval given how it was such a pain point for him a few issues ago in the main book? Al goes to confront Kincaid and sees a kid that died in the school blast in the first issue and clearly something isn't right with him. Jessica and Medieval get overwhelmed at their respective locations by the Psalms group and Kincaid and Spawn do battle where Kincaid reveals someone transformed him to the state he is currently in. I feel the fight is a good one, but suffers from too much narration especially when a certain classic Spawn moment happens that just didn't need to be so wordy. It ends in an interesting way so for sure the issue is weak when it starts, but picks up and the art is the best of the three books imo. In the back matter, we find out that the Redeemer we have been seeing isn't Eddie, but someone entirely new and we don't know who he is yet which is interesting, but for some reason it gets a tongue and cheek response in the back matter of 323. Still find it strange they aren't acknowledging Kincaid's first return, but its whatever at this point.

    Gunslinger Spawn 1 main story - not a good start here. For a character that has been in a handful of issues and still a blank slate, for the most part, this issue does nothing to make Gunslinger interesting or provide some goal or reason for the book's existence. Back-up stories from other books and his other appearances in the main book at least give something more than this issue ever does. If anything the tone of this book clashes with what we have seen previously of the character as it goes for what I hope is an intentionally goofy man-out-of-time story that is hilarious in how dumb it is. Like why Gunslinger's hat is so tall is because he has a big knife and other knives in it or how overly excited he gets to show Taylor, some kid, how to kill an angel. The book does a better job of setting up Taylor compared to its title character who for some reason isn't paying attention to the fact that Al told him in Spawn Universe 1 that he is the reason why Gunslinger got pulled out of his time and Al is trying to figure out a way to undo that though you would never know that Al is looking into that given the main book. Some angels and demons are conspiring, as always, and have Gunslinger in their sights and the issue ends with Taylor seeing his dad talking to angels when Gunslinger springs into action. Just isn't a good start.

    Gunslinger Spawn 1 backups - unlike the last #1s, Spawn Universe and King Spawn, who decided to focus their backups on other characters in the universe, all of the backups here are Gunslinger focused taking place in the old west and honestly they felt unnecessary with the exception of Ales Kot's story - A Small Gift - which gets the most time and feels, tonally, like what I would expect from a book like this with a Man With No Name feel to it all. Its a typical western story, but gets the job done and I liked the art for it as well. The other two backups - The Lynching and Weapons - could have done without it as the former deals with how Gunslinger made money during the time hunting bounties which is about all it does and the latter details how Gunslinger is the weakest Spawn of them all because he uses his necroplasma blood to power his weapons which is an interesting point but one I feel like it could have been mentioned in the main book when Gunslinger goes on and on about killing angels. You know what would have made a good backup or in the main book? Maybe something that details Gunslinger's life before he became a Spawn to give some identity to the guy and how he lived life with his sister before that was stolen from him and he became a Spawn. Just a thought.

  9. #1449

  10. #1450
    Incredible Member Menacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Well with issue 323 out, figured to give my thoughts on that, King Spawn 3, and Gunslinger 1.

    Spawn 323 - Vampire leader guy - "Hey want to join forces and oh btw we took advantage of what you did and feasted on the humans in the town." Spawn - "How about no!" and kills the vampire leader. Rather meh issue honestly where this and the last issue easily could have been combined. Tired of yet another vampire horde and reminding how Spawn is part vampire which is a hangover from the Downing era that I just don't care for. Really feels like Todd has been on autopilot with the main book for a while now. Not sure what plot Rory McConville provides, but he is credited as that in this issue along with Todd doing the script and plot too.

    King Spawn 3 - rather okay on this one and the best book of the three imo. It starts with Terry and Spawn having a fight because Terry is legit asking where Cyan is and how Al likes war only for Al to go on a monologue about his history that Terry is aware of that started the issue on the wrong foot for me. It then transitions to Terry, Al, Marc, and Jessica seeing the Psalms group terrorize worldwide, a feral Spawn is making some noise in Russia, and one particular point Al picks up on as Kincaid being the cause of it all. The Spawns split to tackle everything, but its here that Marc just vanishes and Medieval appears so do they know Marc is Medieval and if not then how come they don't wonder where Marc went given the situation. Also, Al isn'y wondering about Medieval given how it was such a pain point for him a few issues ago in the main book? Al goes to confront Kincaid and sees a kid that died in the school blast in the first issue and clearly something isn't right with him. Jessica and Medieval get overwhelmed at their respective locations by the Psalms group and Kincaid and Spawn do battle where Kincaid reveals someone transformed him to the state he is currently in. I feel the fight is a good one, but suffers from too much narration especially when a certain classic Spawn moment happens that just didn't need to be so wordy. It ends in an interesting way so for sure the issue is weak when it starts, but picks up and the art is the best of the three books imo. In the back matter, we find out that the Redeemer we have been seeing isn't Eddie, but someone entirely new and we don't know who he is yet which is interesting, but for some reason it gets a tongue and cheek response in the back matter of 323. Still find it strange they aren't acknowledging Kincaid's first return, but its whatever at this point.

    Gunslinger Spawn 1 main story - not a good start here. For a character that has been in a handful of issues and still a blank slate, for the most part, this issue does nothing to make Gunslinger interesting or provide some goal or reason for the book's existence. Back-up stories from other books and his other appearances in the main book at least give something more than this issue ever does. If anything the tone of this book clashes with what we have seen previously of the character as it goes for what I hope is an intentionally goofy man-out-of-time story that is hilarious in how dumb it is. Like why Gunslinger's hat is so tall is because he has a big knife and other knives in it or how overly excited he gets to show Taylor, some kid, how to kill an angel. The book does a better job of setting up Taylor compared to its title character who for some reason isn't paying attention to the fact that Al told him in Spawn Universe 1 that he is the reason why Gunslinger got pulled out of his time and Al is trying to figure out a way to undo that though you would never know that Al is looking into that given the main book. Some angels and demons are conspiring, as always, and have Gunslinger in their sights and the issue ends with Taylor seeing his dad talking to angels when Gunslinger springs into action. Just isn't a good start.

    Gunslinger Spawn 1 backups - unlike the last #1s, Spawn Universe and King Spawn, who decided to focus their backups on other characters in the universe, all of the backups here are Gunslinger focused taking place in the old west and honestly they felt unnecessary with the exception of Ales Kot's story - A Small Gift - which gets the most time and feels, tonally, like what I would expect from a book like this with a Man With No Name feel to it all. Its a typical western story, but gets the job done and I liked the art for it as well. The other two backups - The Lynching and Weapons - could have done without it as the former deals with how Gunslinger made money during the time hunting bounties which is about all it does and the latter details how Gunslinger is the weakest Spawn of them all because he uses his necroplasma blood to power his weapons which is an interesting point but one I feel like it could have been mentioned in the main book when Gunslinger goes on and on about killing angels. You know what would have made a good backup or in the main book? Maybe something that details Gunslinger's life before he became a Spawn to give some identity to the guy and how he lived life with his sister before that was stolen from him and he became a Spawn. Just a thought.
    Someone isn't having much fun... definitely a starck contract to my experience.

    Spawn was big when I was 7 years old in early 90s but never read anything.

    After watching the HBO Spawn animated series I got interested in Spawn.

    Fast forward to 2021 ...I have only been reading spawn for roughly 3 months and started with King Spawn #1

    I bought the Compendium and read the first 13 issues. (Ill by Compendium 2 in December on release)

    I've read King Spawn 1-3

    Spawn 310 to 323

    Spawn Universe 1

    Gunslinger 1

    Looking forward to Scorched 1

    Probably enjoyed Spawn's Universe 1 and Gunslinger, particularly backups the most, but I've been into everything ...

    I read a lot of DC and some marvel and for me Spawn offers something really different in tone and style.

    I'd also say as a new reader modern Spawn is superior to those first 13 issues Ive read... but that isnt to say I dont enjoy digging into the past, cause it's great too

  11. #1451
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Glad you have been enjoying the current stuff Menacer and getting into the franchise.

    Funny enough I come from the exact opposite view where Spawn was my very first comic and have been with the series since around its debut to now picking up all of the side series along the way and over time expanding to other Image comics and picking up DC comics as well. So coming from that perspective, I have seen a lot of what the series has gone through and I think currently King Spawn is good despite some forced tension for no reason here and there or some history hiccups which isn't new for the franchise as a whole, but I'm into the story and can't wait to see what happens next there and love the art. Having read other #1s for new Spawns like Dark Ages and Godslayer, to name a few, is why I was down on Gunslinger #1's main story (though I liked Kot's backup) but hopefully, future issues can turn it around for me. I'm legit excited for The Scorched as it is the franchise's first-ever team book (Spawn's been a guest star in other team-ups here and there and the short-lived Adventures of Spawn you can say was a team book, but feels like this is the first true shot at it as an ongoing) and very curious to see how that turns out and finding out along the way how and why the roster shifts.

    As for the TV production news, it is interesting and with McFarland, Thumbs, and the live-action Sam & Twitch show curious to see how they each come together whenever they come out.

  12. #1452
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    588

    Default

    King spawn #4 is out looks like five and six is about disruptor and his connections to al’s past

  13. #1453
    Incredible Member Menacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Glad you have been enjoying the current stuff Menacer and getting into the franchise.

    Funny enough I come from the exact opposite view where Spawn was my very first comic and have been with the series since around its debut to now picking up all of the side series along the way and over time expanding to other Image comics and picking up DC comics as well. So coming from that perspective, I have seen a lot of what the series has gone through and I think currently King Spawn is good despite some forced tension for no reason here and there or some history hiccups which isn't new for the franchise as a whole, but I'm into the story and can't wait to see what happens next there and love the art. Having read other #1s for new Spawns like Dark Ages and Godslayer, to name a few, is why I was down on Gunslinger #1's main story (though I liked Kot's backup) but hopefully, future issues can turn it around for me. I'm legit excited for The Scorched as it is the franchise's first-ever team book (Spawn's been a guest star in other team-ups here and there and the short-lived Adventures of Spawn you can say was a team book, but feels like this is the first true shot at it as an ongoing) and very curious to see how that turns out and finding out along the way how and why the roster shifts.

    As for the TV production news, it is interesting and with McFarland, Thumbs, and the live-action Sam & Twitch show curious to see how they each come together whenever they come out.
    Yah I understand, the longer your exposed to any series the more discerning taste and eye you develop.

    Ultimately I'm having funs with comics in general and not just Spawn, but a lot of dc and some marvel.

    But definitely the more you read the more critical one becomes, the more tropes and such become evident.

    Thankfully we got a lot of options in entertainment and I generally have a great experience and dont over think my entertainment to much. Just a fun escape!


    Toxin45, exciting stuff I'll definitely be picking king spawn #4 up on the weekend !

  14. #1454
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Also from spawn 324-327 we got a new faction aside from heaven and hell also cog as sinn Reuters to take over an empty throne in hell and makes spawn do it by releasing the dead zone.

    Also in gunslinger spawn violator returns

    King spawn 5,6,and 7 the former two about disruptor and his true identity as well as another faction

  15. #1455
    Mighty Member Shadowras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Read Spawn 324, and is Jim Downing, the new Man of Miracles? His new costume and powers reminds me of MOM, a lot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •