Page 105 of 124 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1851

Thread: Spawn

Fantastic Member

Been slowly catching up to the most recent issues of the Spawn Universe books. Going to do a bigger write-up for the most recent issues of Gunslinger and Scorched especially one particular page in the most recent issue of Gunslinger that got me thinking.

King Spawn #11 - after Spawn has sat on the Godthrone, Al is looking to punish the Court of Priests going after Tremor, Zera, Mammon, Ab, and Zab before being confronted and fighting Black Azrael. Meanwhile, Terry is still at the Godthrone and decides to blow it up as Jason Wynn and Morana look on. The issue ends as Spawn takes out an eyeball from Black Azrael and Godsend appears saying "its happening like you said" and Terry blows up the Godthrone potentially endangering everyone on Earth. Pretty good issue here as I liked seeing Al take down his enemies, but I specifically liked the emphasis on Terry in this issue. More and more he is being put on a path that may seemingly put him against Al in time so I wonder if Terry will transform in some way. The eyeball pull-out was brutal and the art continues to shine.

Spawn 331 - Who exactly is Cogliostro? A man of mystery since his first appearance all the way back in issue #9 almost 30 years ago, Cog has appeared seemingly as a mentor to every Spawn that has come after him from Al to Lord Covenant in Spawn Dark Ages and everyone in between. However, he always seems to be planning something and this issue kicks the door down and reveals Cog's history. An absolutely excellent issue that fits in well with the history of the series especially the most recent additions to the series such as Violator revealing that he worked on the Hellspawn costume, the creation of Plague Spawn, why Cog has appeared as a feeble old man, why Cog wanted to be captured by Omega Spawn and meeting Plague Spawn, and why his first time as ruler of Hell during the A Season In Hell arc (#117 - #120 I believe) didn't go the way he thought. This was a much-needed issue for what is to come and touches on something that I have been waiting for this series to touch on that is what the Sinn transformation is supposed to accomplish and the necessity of this transformation and this issue answers that which I am satisfied with. I am not too crazy about the Sinn look, but after so long I am glad we got to know so much more about Cog, especially as a long-time reader. It was nice seeing Malebolgia again in this context, I certainly wonder what would happen if Sinn meets up with the new Clown seen in Gunslinger, and my hope is that the Sinn stuff is a huge arc cause Cog deserves it and I wouldn't mind if it goes on until the end of the year and becomes something that gets bigger and bigger. That said, something that happens in King Spawn #12 makes me wonder if Al has a simple solution to what Cog wants and will do that to keep the dead zones closed. Excited to see where things go next.

Read issue 332, had a cool fight between Spawn and Le-Sinn. Is Jim forming his own team would lead to him getting a spinoff book?
    So Al has Cy-gor, as his muscular henchman, while Jim has Overtkill, doing the same.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Read issue 332, had a cool fight between Spawn and Le-Sinn. Is Jim forming his own team would lead to him getting a spinoff book?
    So Al has Cy-gor, as his muscular henchman, while Jim has Overtkill, doing the same.
    Looks like downing is working with someone and would show up in the scorched series

Mighty Member

King spawn 13 is out we have raven spawn return and likely Wanda will become spawnverse’s equivalent of poison ivy soon

30 years of buildup between Spawn and the true Cog...

...and issue #332 came and went like a fart in the wind.
    Utterly forgettable and shat on that 30 years of buildup with amateur writing and embarrassing anime-wannabe Saturday morning cartoon artwork.

This Barberi guy should not be on this book. Whoever drew the Sinn/Cog variant cover got the menacing tone correct - not this Barberi cartoon crap.
    I can only imagine Capullo drawing these exact pages. Barberi's work is too neat and clean - it lacks the grit - the grim - the darkness - needed for THE Spawn book and a story of this magnitude.

The dialogue showed initial promise - just in the fact that Cog called Al, "Albert" - thats something so simple that we havent seen in the 30 years of this book - and set the tone right immediately only to be ruined by god awful dialogue a few panels later. "You were a Hellspawn once and seem to know more than others." I mean - did Spawn just forget the 30 years of encounters especially issues 115-120 or something?

A story this big needed a far far far FAR better effort.
    I hope the bums in charge of this rag read this exact post. 30 years of build up down the toilet. Amateur hour - weak drawing - weaker writing - YOU as creators should be ashamed of this junk. Be better.
    Last edited by Destro777; 08-13-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    30 years of buildup between Spawn and the true Cog...

...and issue #332 came and went like a fart in the wind.
    Utterly forgettable and shat on that 30 years of buildup with amateur writing and embarrassing anime-wannabe Saturday morning cartoon artwork.

This Barberi guy should not be on this book. Whoever drew the Sinn/Cog variant cover got the menacing tone correct - not this Barberi cartoon crap.
    I can only imagine Capullo drawing these exact pages. Barberi's work is too neat and clean - it lacks the grit - the grim - the darkness - needed for THE Spawn book and a story of this magnitude.

The dialogue showed initial promise - just in the fact that Cog called Al, "Albert" - thats something so simple that we havent seen in the 30 years of this book - and set the tone right immediately only to be ruined by god awful dialogue a few panels later. "You were a Hellspawn once and seem to know more than others." I mean - did Spawn just forget the 30 years of encounters especially issues 115-120 or something?

A story this big needed a far far far FAR better effort.
    I hope the bums in charge of this rag read this exact post. 30 years of build up down the toilet. Amateur hour - weak drawing - weaker writing - YOU as creators should be ashamed of this junk. Be better.
    Rory is the writer for the current issues and downing is also making his move. The writing should be the least of your concerns just look at king spawn 13

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Rory is the writer for the current issues and downing is also making his move. The writing should be the least of your concerns just look at king spawn 13
    Me: "Spawn issue three hundred thirty two was an embarrassment from all sides of the creative process. Art is not good and doesnt fit the book, Barberi is the wrong artist for it, and the writing is horrific."

You: "The writing should be the least of your concerns - just look at King Spawn issue thirteen."
    Also you: "Downing is making is move." "Rory is the writer."

Like - huh?
    What?
    Wuzzat?
    I really really dont know how to interpret that. It sounds like some automated response from a bot - or a Spawn shill. Take your pick.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Mighty Member

Me: "Spawn issue three hundred thirty two was an embarrassment from all sides of the creative process. Art is not good and doesnt fit the book, Barberi is the wrong artist for it, and the writing is horrific."

You: "The writing should be the least of your concerns - just look at King Spawn issue thirteen."
    Also you: "Downing is making is move." "Rory is the writer."

Like - huh?
    What?
    Wuzzat?
    I really really dont know how to interpret that. It sounds like some automated response from a bot - or a Spawn shill. Take your pick.
    Well I mean the current writer is doing fine but they don’t come on here I doubt they would listen here anyways.

Incredible Member

Picked up a good, used copy of The Spawn Armageddon complete collection TPB this Monday, at a good price. It was refreshing reading the entire arch again in one setting, (I had read it again for the first time in years a few months ago).

One of the biggest things that annoy me, is how the return of the Wanda and Terry’s children, the Twins, who were stand ins for God and Satan, wasn’t explained in the Spawn Rebirth storyline one-shot, 251 and onwards. Granted, God and Satan were retconned back from being trapped on the old Earth that was destroyed after Al closed off the dead-zones the first time.

I did notice yesterday after buying and thumbing through Compendium Volume 3, the first three pages of Spawn issue 150 thst were penciled by Angel Medina were NOT included. I’m gonna look through it some tonight to see if any dialogue from the issue 150 insert was changed/altered any.

I’ve been a heavy component on that, the “God and Satan” that were seen in issues 150-156 be retconned in TPB as perhaps other divine entities since the God and Satan that were seen in those issues contradict the God and Satan that were seen during the Satan Wars Saga.

Can’t wait until Vol 4, to see if there is any retcons/updates.

It’s funny…. Of all the comics I follow, Spawns continuity is the only one I’m a stickler for.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Picked up a good, used copy of The Spawn Armageddon complete collection TPB this Monday, at a good price. It was refreshing reading the entire arch again in one setting, (I had read it again for the first time in years a few months ago).

One of the biggest things that annoy me, is how the return of the Wanda and Terry’s children, the Twins, who were stand ins for God and Satan, wasn’t explained in the Spawn Rebirth storyline one-shot, 251 and onwards. Granted, God and Satan were retconned back from being trapped on the old Earth that was destroyed after Al closed off the dead-zones the first time.

I did notice yesterday after buying and thumbing through Compendium Volume 3, the first three pages of Spawn issue 150 thst were penciled by Angel Medina were NOT included. I’m gonna look through it some tonight to see if any dialogue from the issue 150 insert was changed/altered any.

I’ve been a heavy component on that, the “God and Satan” that were seen in issues 150-156 be retconned in TPB as perhaps other divine entities since the God and Satan that were seen in those issues contradict the God and Satan that were seen during the Satan Wars Saga.

It’s funny…. Of all the comics I follow, Spawns continuity is the only one I’m a stickler for.
    Marvel and dc are complicated spawn not as bad as the others you might just learn to accept it like mother of existence in 297 and the King spawn just has her as simply Gaia now.

Plus 297 did state that the twins were just vessels to god and satan just simply seperwted form them now
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-18-2022 at 03:14 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Marvel and dc are complicated spawn not as bad as the others you might just learn to accept it like mother of existence in 297 and the King spawn just has her as simply Gaia now.

Plus 297 did state that the twins were just vessels to god and satan just simply seperwted form them now
    The Armageddon trade stated that ALL memories of the twins were wiped from everyone’s minds and history from existence. So. Another on page contradiction that came later that can be fixed in the 4th Collection, 151-200 with sone simple updated/revised dialogue.

Where do you get off telling other posters what they should and should not accept? Do you have the final word on all things Spawn? You probably make no one want to converse/discuss in here because you always seem to have an arrogant answer to everyone that posts, be it Destro777, myself and others I’ve seen.
    Last edited by Blanks; 08-18-2022 at 04:27 PM.

Thats interesting about the altered or straight up nixed pages. Thanks for the info. Im wondering if they will remove those same pages from the upcoming deluxe hardcovers. Thats kind of a deal breaker for me if so.

If memory serves - Todd was never a big fan of Hine's run and largely ignored it. Shame because most of it was really good - especially when Haberline got onto art duties. Issues 166-172 might be the pinnacle of the entire run. I want to at least get the Hardcovers up to that point if they ever get released. I have a full spawn run of single issues but would love to have the Hine run in oversized hardcover format.

Do the Spawn compendiums still not have cover images of each issue like the first one?
    Currently Reading:

Incredible Member

Sorry, there isn’t any cover inserts in Volume 3, to act as issue/chapter dividers.

Maybe Todd is planning on releasing another hardcover with cover images 101-200, like that hardcover that issues 1-100. Some of Capullo’s covers during that era were epic.

Mighty Member

The Armageddon trade stated that ALL memories of the twins were wiped from everyone’s minds and history from existence. So. Another on page contradiction that came later that can be fixed in the 4th Collection, 151-200 with sone simple updated/revised dialogue.

Where do you get off telling other posters what they should and should not accept? Do you have the final word on all things Spawn? You probably make no one want to converse/discuss in here because you always seem to have an arrogant answer to everyone that posts, be it Destro777, myself and others I’ve seen.
    Like really I wasn’t trying to be arrogant just stating that Jake and Kate being vessels after 297

Mighty Member

Thats interesting about the altered or straight up nixed pages. Thanks for the info. Im wondering if they will remove those same pages from the upcoming deluxe hardcovers. Thats kind of a deal breaker for me if so.

If memory serves - Todd was never a big fan of Hine's run and largely ignored it. Shame because most of it was really good - especially when Haberline got onto art duties. Issues 166-172 might be the pinnacle of the entire run. I want to at least get the Hardcovers up to that point if they ever get released. I have a full spawn run of single issues but would love to have the Hine run in oversized hardcover format.

Do the Spawn compendiums still not have cover images of each issue like the first one?
    cuz the whole wife beater retconned didn't sit well with him so he retconned it with spawn:ressurection

Also we are getting a new spawn and batman crossover