Page 65 of 124 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Netherrealm also make a game where Harley Quinn can punch Superman to death. I dont think they are bothered about power levels.
    Pretty much. They have done this 3 times over already - MK vs DC and both Injustice games - so they are really not bothered by power levels. The question will really be how much of Spawn's abilities we will see which will be interesting. When Spawn was in Soul Calibur 2 for the Xbox, they used a little bit of his abilities, but he didn't have his cape if I recall and hope with Netherrealm's shot at him they can incorporate it into his fighting style.

Issue 148 - Random Patterns Part 1 - After Al's memories of Wanda were taken away by Mammon, Al has been on a trip across the country to find what he is missing. With this issue, his travels take him to Chicago where he believes something is trying to call him. He finds some guys messing with an old lady and he takes down the leader so badly it makes everyone run away from him. He soon transforms into Spawn and continues to follow the clues until it leads him to the Church of the Holy Redeemer where he breaks down and blames God for everything and continues to wonder why he came back and what good did he have. The issue ends as the being that was calling to him reveals itself - The Heap - and they prepare to do battle.

Pretty simple and rather meh issue honestly. Al is aware of what Mammon did to him and his plans, but just isn't sure how he should act due to his missing memories of Wanda. It goes long in the tooth honestly as the majority of the issue is about that as we hold over getting closer to 150 and the kick off to the biggest story the series has ever had.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Pretty much. They have done this 3 times over already - MK vs DC and both Injustice games - so they are really not bothered by power levels. The question will really be how much of Spawn's abilities we will see which will be interesting. When Spawn was in Soul Calibur 2 for the Xbox, they used a little bit of his abilities, but he didn't have his cape if I recall and hope with Netherrealm's shot at him they can incorporate it into his fighting style.

Issue 148 - Random Patterns Part 1 - After Al's memories of Wanda were taken away by Mammon, Al has been on a trip across the country to find what he is missing. With this issue, his travels take him to Chicago where he believes something is trying to call him. He finds some guys messing with an old lady and he takes down the leader so badly it makes everyone run away from him. He soon transforms into Spawn and continues to follow the clues until it leads him to the Church of the Holy Redeemer where he breaks down and blames God for everything and continues to wonder why he came back and what good did he have. The issue ends as the being that was calling to him reveals itself - The Heap - and they prepare to do battle.

Pretty simple and rather meh issue honestly. Al is aware of what Mammon did to him and his plans, but just isn't sure how he should act due to his missing memories of Wanda. It goes long in the tooth honestly as the majority of the issue is about that as we hold over getting closer to 150 and the kick off to the biggest story the series has ever had.
    Him absuing Wanda and trying to kill morana were that but in ressurection that was retconed as a lie and had an unborn son who stillborn later revealed to be his lost humanity and never abused Wanda. Also al could never produced children as 296. We never saw morana again after 184 along with mammon but with ressurection and 296-297 retconing it's unlikely we will ever will.

Fantastic Member

Have to say, the trailer for the T-800 released today for MK11 was really good. Inventive in how they used its abilities - teleporting using the time stream for one - and was surprised that you can play as the exo-skeleton itself which has its own advantages as they showed Scorpion's spear going through him. A shame they couldn't get Arnold to do the voice, but I really enjoyed the reveal and can't wait to see how they do Spawn.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 10-01-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Well this is part one part two is 301 and then 302 and 303
    Yeah but the Spawn way is to really not resolve anything, just progress through it, so even if 301 round out 300 it will still be more of the same like

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Yeah but the Spawn way is to really not resolve anything, just progress through it, so even if 301 round out 300 it will still be more of the same like
    There is also 304

Fantastic Member

Issue 151 - The issue begins with Billy Kincaid threatening a kid by the name of Christopher who is wearing Spawn's cape when the cape protects him and is able to escape. We head back to The Underworld where Spawn is being tortured by Thamuz and Mammon. They find Al's wedding ring that allowed him to remember Wanda. Spawn snatches it back, but Mammon continues to wonder what else Spawn is. We go back to Chris and he finds a comic on the floor that essentially is his backstory. Chris is dared to climb an old water tank and once he does, he slips and falls into the tank. His mom finds him and jumps in to rescue him, but as Chris is dying an entity appears promising to return him, but needs him and his mom surrenders her dead son. Chris then realizes he died and hurries home as his mother is prepared to kill herself. The issue ends with Chris making it, but is falling apart.

This marks the beginning of Hine's solo run on the book that would go from 151 to 184 though he did do 150 with McFarlane and Holguin. Spinning out of the events of 150 where Spawn is taken apart by the Disciple, Chris is born representing Al's heart with a little help from Man of Miracles. The art overall is fantastic both in the present time and the framing of Chris' story making it look like an old comic. With him trying to make it home on time and as time went on he was deteriorating, it was handled well. We'd soon find out the connection between Spawn and Chris and what Spawn really is and what I liked this early on with Hine's run is that you feel the build up to something massive and with new characters introduced like the Disciple, Thamuz, Man of Miracles, the other Spawns, and later Zera and a few others it felt big and purposeful in a way the series was kinda hinting at post-Malebolgia death, but for whatever reason just never pulled the trigger. Good stuff!

Mighty Member

Issue 151 - The issue begins with Billy Kincaid threatening a kid by the name of Christopher who is wearing Spawn's cape when the cape protects him and is able to escape. We head back to The Underworld where Spawn is being tortured by Thamuz and Mammon. They find Al's wedding ring that allowed him to remember Wanda. Spawn snatches it back, but Mammon continues to wonder what else Spawn is. We go back to Chris and he finds a comic on the floor that essentially is his backstory. Chris is dared to climb an old water tank and once he does, he slips and falls into the tank. His mom finds him and jumps in to rescue him, but as Chris is dying an entity appears promising to return him, but needs him and his mom surrenders her dead son. Chris then realizes he died and hurries home as his mother is prepared to kill herself. The issue ends with Chris making it, but is falling apart.

This marks the beginning of Hine's solo run on the book that would go from 151 to 184 though he did do 150 with McFarlane and Holguin. Spinning out of the events of 150 where Spawn is taken apart by the Disciple, Chris is born representing Al's heart with a little help from Man of Miracles. The art overall is fantastic both in the present time and the framing of Chris' story making it look like an old comic. With him trying to make it home on time and as time went on he was deteriorating, it was handled well. We'd soon find out the connection between Spawn and Chris and what Spawn really is and what I liked this early on with Hine's run is that you feel the build up to something massive and with new characters introduced like the Disciple, Thamuz, Man of Miracles, the other Spawns, and later Zera and a few others it felt big and purposeful in a way the series was kinda hinting at post-Malebolgia death, but for whatever reason just never pulled the trigger. Good stuff!
    Yeah but man of miracles actually debuted in 75 actually so he is not a new character per say he was mother of existence,Gaia,the keeper,Jesus,and Kali. Also malebolgia did return in the Jim downing era and possessed freak's body for a while. Speaking of Jim downing from 185-250 Jim downing was the one who took the mantle of spawn after al kill himself had many adventures killed Jason Wynn ,fought violator,the. Fights bluud,and stop Leetha before al returns to take the mantle
    Last edited by Toxin45; 10-02-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Mighty Member

https://www.popcultureandcomics.com/...wKjXB3OJdJgDT8

Pop culture listed their top five favorite Spawn villains Also Violator is now the leader of the demons on earth now and got a powerboost after killing Wanda.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 10-04-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Fantastic Member

Issue 164 - Homecoming - With Al banishing God and Satan and remaking the world such that Heaven nor Hell have access to it, Al is ready to come home to Wanda. Man of Miracles says it has one final thing to show him, but Al brushes it off. We see Wanda, Terry, Granny Blake, and Cyan in the living room with Granny knowing it was Al that saved them all and shaken given her experience. Cyan says she's not calling Spawn the Sad Man anymore, but Al. Wanda and Terry go to the bedroom and have a fight. Terry essentially feels inadequate given what Al has not only done, but spying on Wanda with photos and love letters that Wanda and Al used to have. Wanda then wonders if Terry is going to hit her which sees Terry taken aback especially when she says that Al would have. Wanda then tells Terry, with ghost Al present, about the first time Al hit her, but he tried to make it up to her. At some point, Wanda felt that if they had a kid Al would stop being in the field so its revealed that not only was Wanda pregnant with their child, but upon hearing about it Al killed their child. Wanda says that she was planning on leaving Al when he came back, but never did and professes her love to Terry. Al returns to his body now fully remembering this and Man of Miracles suggests that this is the reason why Al has never been able to see Wanda again as he was previously since he came back, but as the monster Al believed he had become. Al begs to be killed, but Miracles says he can't until he has redeemed himself and sends him back to the alleys to be all alone. We get an epilogue at the New Vista Apartments where, despite the newscaster saying everything is better than before, and person killing someone suggesting that not everything is fine with the new world Al has created.

"He is Al Simmons...the man who saved the world, but could not save himself..." That final page is the perfect ending for Spawn I have always dreamed of and still is a powerful ending shot to end the Armageddon arc on. The issue would mark the final issue that Philip Tan would be on the series, but he would go on to do Godslayer Spawn as the series would change artists for the Mandarin Spawn one shot with 165 and then change again with 166 with the series continuing the main story. Now the content of the issue, I think, is still pretty divisive given that while we did get some hints on Al being a wife beater going the extra mile with Al being the reason why he and Wanda couldn't have a child can be seen as too much. The idea here is for Al to never have a happy ending and the only way for that to happen was if he couldn't go back to Wanda. It also sort of makes the reader see the ending as a potential just punishment for him, given the revelation, despite the fact that he literally went through hell and back and rooting for him to win and have a happy ending for once. Its still an issue that makes me think all these years later given the arc, revelation, and ending...and then it just had to keep going. Granny and Cyan having their moments were good with Cyan fully embracing Al and you feel for Granny given what she just went through and not shaking her faith. All in all with the issue being 12 years old I still think this is the perfect note to end the series on and whenever Todd decides to end Spawn I wonder if it'll be able to match or top this.

Mighty Member

Issue 164 - Homecoming - With Al banishing God and Satan and remaking the world such that Heaven nor Hell have access to it, Al is ready to come home to Wanda. Man of Miracles says it has one final thing to show him, but Al brushes it off. We see Wanda, Terry, Granny Blake, and Cyan in the living room with Granny knowing it was Al that saved them all and shaken given her experience. Cyan says she's not calling Spawn the Sad Man anymore, but Al. Wanda and Terry go to the bedroom and have a fight. Terry essentially feels inadequate given what Al has not only done, but spying on Wanda with photos and love letters that Wanda and Al used to have. Wanda then wonders if Terry is going to hit her which sees Terry taken aback especially when she says that Al would have. Wanda then tells Terry, with ghost Al present, about the first time Al hit her, but he tried to make it up to her. At some point, Wanda felt that if they had a kid Al would stop being in the field so its revealed that not only was Wanda pregnant with their child, but upon hearing about it Al killed their child. Wanda says that she was planning on leaving Al when he came back, but never did and professes her love to Terry. Al returns to his body now fully remembering this and Man of Miracles suggests that this is the reason why Al has never been able to see Wanda again as he was previously since he came back, but as the monster Al believed he had become. Al begs to be killed, but Miracles says he can't until he has redeemed himself and sends him back to the alleys to be all alone. We get an epilogue at the New Vista Apartments where, despite the newscaster saying everything is better than before, and person killing someone suggesting that not everything is fine with the new world Al has created.

"He is Al Simmons...the man who saved the world, but could not save himself..." That final page is the perfect ending for Spawn I have always dreamed of and still is a powerful ending shot to end the Armageddon arc on. The issue would mark the final issue that Philip Tan would be on the series, but he would go on to do Godslayer Spawn as the series would change artists for the Mandarin Spawn one shot with 165 and then change again with 166 with the series continuing the main story. Now the content of the issue, I think, is still pretty divisive given that while we did get some hints on Al being a wife beater going the extra mile with Al being the reason why he and Wanda couldn't have a child can be seen as too much. The idea here is for Al to never have a happy ending and the only way for that to happen was if he couldn't go back to Wanda. It also sort of makes the reader see the ending as a potential just punishment for him, given the revelation, despite the fact that he literally went through hell and back and rooting for him to win and have a happy ending for once. Its still an issue that makes me think all these years later given the arc, revelation, and ending...and then it just had to keep going. Granny and Cyan having their moments were good with Cyan fully embracing Al and you feel for Granny given what she just went through and not shaking her faith. All in all with the issue being 12 years old I still think this is the perfect note to end the series on and whenever Todd decides to end Spawn I wonder if it'll be able to match or top this.
    Well Al abusing wanda was later rectoned thanks to Resurrection though with him having a son not a daughter dude which is also his lost humanity and Morana was completly retconed in the follwing issues. The abuse thing was a lie by the demons to get him into suicide.
    https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/10...-of-the-franc/
    It seems Spawn will set up the future of the franchise.
    https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/07...g-spawn-verse/
    Todd wants to expand the Spawn universe and we are getting two more spin-offs.

Todd wants to make a legacy of his characters outliving him and staying on public like Walt Disney did with Mickey and friends along with Stan Lee's creations. so essentially Spawn would continue as a franchise with more stuff even after he is long gone.

With two more spin-offs Sam and Twitch:True Decteives and Misery coming soon, along with two more cartoon series,a sam and twitch tv show,and the remake movie Spawn would go on to become a long running multi-media franchise at this point with some video games and merchandise along the way with more comic book spawn series.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 10-06-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Today I bought Spawn #301, but I haven't read it yet. I bought the cover where he is holding the crown. Which cover did you all buy?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

All-New Member

Hi guys, just came back to Spawn, used to read them as they came back in the day, but for some reason stopped reading them at around issue #200.
    Other day I had some spare time so I started reading again from the armageddon arc. Now I've read up to issue #250 and it really bothers me how after Jim is introduced whole armageddon, sealing of heaven and hell and Mammon stuff is forgotten for no apparent reason. Did I miss something or what?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrCheeky View Post
    Hi guys, just came back to Spawn, used to read them as they came back in the day, but for some reason stopped reading them at around issue #200.
    Other day I had some spare time so I started reading again from the armageddon arc. Now I've read up to issue #250 and it really bothers me how after Jim is introduced whole armageddon, sealing of heaven and hell and Mammon stuff is forgotten for no apparent reason. Did I miss something or what?
    Spawn Ressurection one shot was a soft-retcon of sorts ,shows why Al came back and God is now more good with him having an unborn son rather than daughter along with him abusing wanda which is really a fake memory by the demons to get him into suicide. Al being abusive to wanda was retcon thanks to Spawn ressurection.Wanda was killed off in the Spawn Resssurection one shot by Violator.

Start with reading Spawn Resurrection and then Spawn 251 to know what happens next. The Symbiote's origins were change as it was made from Al's victims during his time as a CIA agent by both Violator and Malebolgia.

The Origins of the Hellspawn were also changed in 291 Where during the first armageddon Heaven and Hell had a white demon and a black angel fuse together to become the first Hellspawn. After the First HellSpawn's death Malebolgia decide to mass produce the Hellspawns by having Violator assit him in that goal. Mammon was defeated by Nyx and sealed away in 184 and The Redeemer is still Eddie Frank btw.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 10-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrCheeky View Post
    Not really to be honest. The move to introduce Jim was entirely marketing based to have a new guy take over which I think was done to have both Hine gone from the book and I think interest in the book after Armageddon, but before Jim was introduced, was decreasing. Makes sense since the ending of the Armageddon arc was basically the perfect end for the series and as Jim's run went on I also noticed how that period was entirely forgotten which I think Todd didn't really like what Hine did. We've had some discussions here about Jim's time and the erasing of Hine's run.

That said, in the end, Jim's time sunk the series further given his terrible introduction and overall nothing story at the end of the day, in my opinion, that Todd had no choice but to have Al come back which again was more marketing than anything that made sense story wise especially given how abrupt Jim's story ended in 250. That said, Jim has returned in the main story with the recent issues, but in what capacity we still don't know yet.

All-New Member

Not really to be honest. The move to introduce Jim was entirely marketing based to have a new guy take over which I think was done to have both Hine gone from the book and I think interest in the book after Armageddon, but before Jim was introduced, was decreasing. Makes sense since the ending of the Armageddon arc was basically the perfect end for the series and as Jim's run went on I also noticed how that period was entirely forgotten which I think Todd didn't really like what Hine did. We've had some discussions here about Jim's time and the erasing of Hine's run.

That said, in the end, Jim's time sunk the series further given his terrible introduction and overall nothing story at the end of the day, in my opinion, that Todd had no choice but to have Al come back which again was more marketing than anything that made sense story wise especially given how abrupt Jim's story ended in 250. That said, Jim has returned in the main story with the recent issues, but in what capacity we still don't know yet.
    Pretty much what I thought. Just makes it bit illogical and messes up things. I hate these "soft resets"..
    Last edited by MrCheeky; 10-10-2019 at 08:26 PM.