Page 106 of 126 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1881

Thread: Spawn

Fantastic Member

Thoughts on recent issues of Spawn & King Spawn along with Year 1 thoughts on King Spawn which I'll also do for Gunslinger and Scorched.

Spawn #332 - I came away a bit more positive on this issue than Destro but I can see and understand that sentiment. In an alternate world, this issue would be steeped in Al & Cog history to get to where we need to go, but at the end of the day this is the first shot fired in a larger arc regarding the Dead Zone powers and where that can be. I liked Cog's dialog here as right off the bat simply calling Spawn Albert now instantly changes the tone of the conversation. Given how the last issue covered Cog's history, I'm surprised this issue didn't cover Cog's & Al's time as rulers of Hell from Al's perspective. In essence, this should have been a more dialog heavy issue, but I get the need for having action in the book to both a) show off the Sinn transformation, b) have Al get to the conclusion that Cog has been the one absorbing the other Hellspawns, and c) get to the point of revealing a major point by Al. We also have an update on Downing and his team as Haunt has joined and Downing is working with someone we don't know yet. Hopefully they don't make Downing evil but just another shade of good and interested to see where this group could go. All in all, this issue could have been more in the Cog/Spawn side of the story but we have a direction for what the arc is about and it is now going to be a mad dash to get there. Barberi has been on art duties for almost 2 years now and I think his art is fine, but I do agree that its more superhero-y than Spawn missing the grim and darkness of what a Spawn book should be however that same sentiment can be thrown at Scorched and Gunslinger as well as I feel King Spawn is the only one that feels like what a Spawn book should be artistically speaking. That and going from Jason Shawn Alexander's art to this was jarring at first, but I've gotten used to it over these last couple of years. With this issue specifically and now that we are seeing more of Sinn, I'm really not crazy about that design at all and question why the original Spawn who has taken a piece of Omega and Plague looks like Lex Luthor in a mech suit. It doesn't feel right to me, but maybe it'll grow on me? That said, that sense of visual identity is something I'll get more on when Scorched reaches its end of Year 1. Francesco Mattina is the one that did the alternate cover for this issue and has done several covers for the series since 283 and I like his covers as they capture that darkness and menace of a Spawn book.

King Spawn #12 & Year 1 thoughts - the end of the second arc and this book might as well be titled - Al's seemingly unending series of bad choices - as Al has made a decision as his fight with Black Azrael reaches a conclusion. Upon first reading this issue and reading the second arc as it was coming out, I felt the first arc was stronger than the second, but upon rereading both arcs together for a complete year 1 I actually appreciated the second arc more and what it was trying to accomplish. This issue sees Terry shocked that he survived his own explosion of the Godthrone but sees the Godthrone become a crown along with a nightmare vision of Wanda and Al while Al wraps up his fight with Black Azrael by banishing him to Heaven using what I thought would be referenced in Spawn 332, but then #13 came out and that idea went out the window quick. Now that Al has accepted this role, what happens next? Overall, a good issue that, if #13 is anything to go by, sets the stage for a much bigger fight that is about to start.

Overall, my feelings on King Spawn haven't changed much. It is by far the best book of the Universe books by a country mile. It looks unique thanks to the incredible work that Javi is putting in that makes it look like nothing else while channeling many things that make Spawn work - the darkness, the brutality, and the action. It really shows how much of a missed opportunity the other books are missing out on not establishing their own visual identity. From a story standpoint, it brings in several characters and story points from the past that either long-time or lapsed readers know while not really alienating new readers by giving enough information that if you are only reading this book you won't feel lost but at least understand that their is a history here. The story has been interesting to see Al go down this rabbit hole that might as well feel like dirt is pouring on top of him at the same time which is why I think issue 10 is the most important issue of the series so far. By this point, Al understands that he needs to go down this path but he very much could see himself be lost to it all which is why he tells Terry that he would have to take him out if that time comes while at the same time we know that their is another dimension to the Court with the shadow man (likely the Clown) that we haven't seen yet. The focus on Terry in this book specifically has been nice to see and wonder if more is in store for him either stopping or saving Al as I have to think he'll round up Jessica and Marc to help him and a particular theory of mine is that the title of King Spawn and Simon being dubbed the Kingslayer means someone else is going to have that position soon enough. I do hate the drama/anger tantrums seen in the earlier issues of the book, but I feel like a bit of Todd's influence can still be felt in that regard and the timeline of things is also something that is throwing me off when putting together the events of this book along with the main book and Scorched which is something I'll get to as well with the Scorched Year 1 thoughts. I'm definitely interested in seeing where the book will go next overall and as I said before, I think if you are someone new and looking to jump on a Spawn book I think this is the best shot at it as it develops its own corner and does it quite well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Thoughts on recent issues of Spawn & King Spawn along with Year 1 thoughts on King Spawn which I'll also do for Gunslinger and Scorched.

Spawn #332 - I came away a bit more positive on this issue than Destro but I can see and understand that sentiment. In an alternate world, this issue would be steeped in Al & Cog history to get to where we need to go, but at the end of the day this is the first shot fired in a larger arc regarding the Dead Zone powers and where that can be. I liked Cog's dialog here as right off the bat simply calling Spawn Albert now instantly changes the tone of the conversation. Given how the last issue covered Cog's history, I'm surprised this issue didn't cover Cog's & Al's time as rulers of Hell from Al's perspective. In essence, this should have been a more dialog heavy issue, but I get the need for having action in the book to both a) show off the Sinn transformation, b) have Al get to the conclusion that Cog has been the one absorbing the other Hellspawns, and c) get to the point of revealing a major point by Al. We also have an update on Downing and his team as Haunt has joined and Downing is working with someone we don't know yet. Hopefully they don't make Downing evil but just another shade of good and interested to see where this group could go. All in all, this issue could have been more in the Cog/Spawn side of the story but we have a direction for what the arc is about and it is now going to be a mad dash to get there. Barberi has been on art duties for almost 2 years now and I think his art is fine, but I do agree that its more superhero-y than Spawn missing the grim and darkness of what a Spawn book should be however that same sentiment can be thrown at Scorched and Gunslinger as well as I feel King Spawn is the only one that feels like what a Spawn book should be artistically speaking. That and going from Jason Shawn Alexander's art to this was jarring at first, but I've gotten used to it over these last couple of years. With this issue specifically and now that we are seeing more of Sinn, I'm really not crazy about that design at all and question why the original Spawn who has taken a piece of Omega and Plague looks like Lex Luthor in a mech suit. It doesn't feel right to me, but maybe it'll grow on me? That said, that sense of visual identity is something I'll get more on when Scorched reaches its end of Year 1. Francesco Mattina is the one that did the alternate cover for this issue and has done several covers for the series since 283 and I like his covers as they capture that darkness and menace of a Spawn book.

King Spawn #12 & Year 1 thoughts - the end of the second arc and this book might as well be titled - Al's seemingly unending series of bad choices - as Al has made a decision as his fight with Black Azrael reaches a conclusion. Upon first reading this issue and reading the second arc as it was coming out, I felt the first arc was stronger than the second, but upon rereading both arcs together for a complete year 1 I actually appreciated the second arc more and what it was trying to accomplish. This issue sees Terry shocked that he survived his own explosion of the Godthrone but sees the Godthrone become a crown along with a nightmare vision of Wanda and Al while Al wraps up his fight with Black Azrael by banishing him to Heaven using what I thought would be referenced in Spawn 332, but then #13 came out and that idea went out the window quick. Now that Al has accepted this role, what happens next? Overall, a good issue that, if #13 is anything to go by, sets the stage for a much bigger fight that is about to start.

Overall, my feelings on King Spawn haven't changed much. It is by far the best book of the Universe books by a country mile. It looks unique thanks to the incredible work that Javi is putting in that makes it look like nothing else while channeling many things that make Spawn work - the darkness, the brutality, and the action. It really shows how much of a missed opportunity the other books are missing out on not establishing their own visual identity. From a story standpoint, it brings in several characters and story points from the past that either long-time or lapsed readers know while not really alienating new readers by giving enough information that if you are only reading this book you won't feel lost but at least understand that their is a history here. The story has been interesting to see Al go down this rabbit hole that might as well feel like dirt is pouring on top of him at the same time which is why I think issue 10 is the most important issue of the series so far. By this point, Al understands that he needs to go down this path but he very much could see himself be lost to it all which is why he tells Terry that he would have to take him out if that time comes while at the same time we know that their is another dimension to the Court with the shadow man (likely the Clown) that we haven't seen yet. The focus on Terry in this book specifically has been nice to see and wonder if more is in store for him either stopping or saving Al as I have to think he'll round up Jessica and Marc to help him and a particular theory of mine is that the title of King Spawn and Simon being dubbed the Kingslayer means someone else is going to have that position soon enough. I do hate the drama/anger tantrums seen in the earlier issues of the book, but I feel like a bit of Todd's influence can still be felt in that regard and the timeline of things is also something that is throwing me off when putting together the events of this book along with the main book and Scorched which is something I'll get to as well with the Scorched Year 1 thoughts. I'm definitely interested in seeing where the book will go next overall and as I said before, I think if you are someone new and looking to jump on a Spawn book I think this is the best shot at it as it develops its own corner and does it quite well.
    well thing is terry is gonna be the new king spawna fter usurping al and wanda will be revievd by gaia as a poison ivy expy is one of my theroies

Spawn #332 - I liked Cog's dialog here as right off the bat simply calling Spawn Albert now instantly changes the tone of the conversation.
    Interesting - I had the exact same sentiments about the use of Cog calling Spawn "Albert". Such a simple but effective idea immediately sums up Cog's long history with Spawn in the full name pronunciation.
    Im with you on the super lame Lex Luthor power armor - they could have come up with something better for sure. Although it might all be Barberi's fault for depicting it that way - the variant Sinn cover is proof.

Im limiting my Spawn purchases to just sticking with the main title (been buying it since 1992, cant stop now) - but it sounds like King Spawn is actually the one to follow to actually read. Ive tried Gunslinger and Scorched and Im not sure how those craptastic books have enough of an audience to continue. Must be the cool cover art...

Even though I dont respond to this thread often - I do appreciate reading your in-depth reviews Hellsrider.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Interesting - I had the exact same sentiments about the use of Cog calling Spawn "Albert". Such a simple but effective idea immediately sums up Cog's long history with Spawn in the full name pronunciation.
    Im with you on the super lame Lex Luthor power armor - they could have come up with something better for sure. Although it might all be Barberi's fault for depicting it that way - the variant Sinn cover is proof.

Im limiting my Spawn purchases to just sticking with the main title (been buying it since 1992, cant stop now) - but it sounds like King Spawn is actually the one to follow to actually read. Ive tried Gunslinger and Scorched and Im not sure how those craptastic books have enough of an audience to continue. Must be the cool cover art...

Even though I dont respond to this thread often - I do appreciate reading your in-depth reviews Hellsrider.
    And the art inside it sales seems to be good for each series so far

Mighty Member

Gunslinger spawn 11 and scorched 9 is out

Mighty Member

Enjoyed the focus on Medieval Spawn in the current issue of Scorched.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post

Thanks, Destro I like reading your thoughts as well as others here. I will have thoughts on Gunslinger and Scorched when they approach their respective twelfth issue and boy my negative rant will come out on Gunslinger which I think needs to happen and gets some steam off my chest on that because oh boy has that been a waste of time. As for Sinn's design, I'm not sure what can be done to make it work. I mean Komox looked dumb in his intro in the King Spawn #1 back up which was done by a different artist than Javi and Javi tried hard to make the character look better in the recent King Spawn issue but its not doing it for me and I think he needs a redesign. The same needs to happen to Sinn's design that speaks to Cog's past as Cain (why is he bald now when his long hair and beard whether its the white/silver as Cog or blonde as Cain is part of his iconic look), the first Hellspawn, and using pieces from Omega and Plague and the current design just doesn't do that.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 08-28-2022 at 04:19 PM.

Mighty Member

King spawn is going good so far soon to be 17 issues also new toys coming.

Scorched is aproching 13 issues

Gunsligner is aproching 15 issues

Spawn is going to be 337 issues

Todd said he wants spawn to have 12 more titles for the expanded universe wonder if she-spawn,misery,and Sam and twitch:true detectives are some of them.

Also batman and spawn are getting a third crossover this December

Mighty Member

Spawn 333 is out now downing vs al comes btw spawn has a lot of villains that refuse to die most of the time violator,wynn,Kincaid,malebolgia,etc. I wouldn’t be suprised that malebolgia returns and violator is also back in king spawn 14. Monolith is returning in scorched and becomes a member

Fantastic Member

New details are out now regarding the Batman/Spawn crossover coming out on December 13th. It'll be done by Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo and follows the Court of Owls who try to use Spawn to beat Batman. Further details, first images, and more can be found in the link below and if you missed out on the previous Batman/Spawn team ups, DC Comics will release Batman/Spawn: The Classic Collection on November 15.

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/09/13/ba...rlane-capullo/

Mighty Member

King spawn 14 is out now

Mighty Member

https://screenrant.com/todd-mcfarlan...022-interview/
    forgot to post this months ago here is the interview in case you guys didn't know

Mighty Member

Spawn compendium volumes 5 and 6 will come out next year yay

Fantastic Member

King Spawn #13 - the King's Pawn arc begins. We begin with Al telling Disruptor that he'll open the Dead Zones in service to save the soul of Wanda as Al orders Disruptor to get Wanda's body from the Greenworld now that Black Azrael is banished to Heaven. Disruptor mentions the danger of Terry and him telling others as we see Terry running for his life and even running past Sam & Twitch which Al isn't worried about. We then get this double-page spread about Al playing chess and how he has been manipulating things since he first became Spawn (which I call BS on that as other than the small stint between 283 - 300/301 which you can say he was doing that, he's been making it up as he goes along the rest of the way). We then break into a meeting between Komox, a servant of Nightmare Spawn named Ordeal, and a shadow figure as they look to possibly plot against King Spawn. The issue then wraps up as Al meets Raven Spawn which Raven kills Zab and mentions that Al is only a pawn to the real king as Raven leaves after a small fight happens. Pretty decent opening issue to the new arc, despite the clunky chess bit, as we have several moving pieces - is the Court still BS'ing Al regarding Wanda, what is Terry's role going to be in this, a new alliance forming, and the mystery of the true king which works. How Al will open the Dead Zones here, given what is happening in the main book, is something I'm curious about and Thomas Nachlik does a good job on the art front stepping in for Javi and will be the case for issues 14 & 15. Hope Javi comes back though.

Spawn #333 - cover A notes "halfway to the mark...of the beast" and I am curious on what that is about. With Al and Sinn throwing down last issue, this issue sees how the forces - Heaven, Hell, and Greenworld - are taking to that as a member of Clown's army named Cadiclus appears to Sinn with information on how he can bypass the need for the Dead Zones entirely due to a fissure at Omega Island previously mentioned in an earlier issue that possibly with Sinn's powers can allow him to go to Hell. Elsewhere, Downing and his crew are preparing to take down Al but Marc has reservations on the plan and wants to talk with Al first though Downing isn't convinced Al will turn a new leaf (wise man here). We get a little training with Overtkill and Haunt as Downing talks with the mysterious person from last issue as we see Spawn take down some fools but his body is taking a toll being in constant action as he tries to flush out Sinn. At Spawn HQ, Marc tries to convince Al with no luck at all, surprise surprise, as Downing and his team jump in as the issue ends. An issue devoted to table setting than anything else which is fine as we get some interesting developments on Sinn's side like him partnering with Bludd and a return to Omega Island coming soon and Downing and his team spring into action with not only the mystery of what Downing's plan really is but also who the mysterious person Downing has been talking to hanging over it all. That said, once again the timeline of events rears its ugly head like the Kilgores worried that Marc would rat out Haunt to Jessica but a) why would Marc do that and b) how do Haunt and Priest even know one another when we haven't established them meeting in the first place? Yes Haunt appears in the Scorched book as well and helps out that team but again we have no context as to how Haunt and Jessica know one another as on page it has not happened in any of the books. Second, why does a tired Al want to flush out Sinn when he got his ass whooped last issue? That makes no sense and Al's antagonist attitude towards Marc is tiring to the point that I question why Marc bothers when he and Jessica got kicked out of the base by Al himself who thinks he's the only one that can do it all by himself and has been reiterated almost ad nauseam in all of the books. Also later on Al reveals to Marc that he's known for some time now that Marc has melded with Medieval Spawn which surprises Marc but it shouldn't when in Scorched #6 after the fight with a Sin Devourer Marc removes the Medieval helmet and are supposed to assume Al didn't notice the switch? Its a point that falls flat and even in the context of just this book, Al couldn't really care about Marc at all before having his Spawn powers. All of this drags this book down imo even though some interesting stuff is happening here. In addition, can we get a redesign on both Bludd and Downing at this point because the all black look is really generic. Hope we finally find out what Downing has been cooking this whole time next issue and maybe find out who the mysterious person Downing has been talking to is.

Mighty Member

King Spawn #13 - the King's Pawn arc begins. We begin with Al telling Disruptor that he'll open the Dead Zones in service to save the soul of Wanda as Al orders Disruptor to get Wanda's body from the Greenworld now that Black Azrael is banished to Heaven. Disruptor mentions the danger of Terry and him telling others as we see Terry running for his life and even running past Sam & Twitch which Al isn't worried about. We then get this double-page spread about Al playing chess and how he has been manipulating things since he first became Spawn (which I call BS on that as other than the small stint between 283 - 300/301 which you can say he was doing that, he's been making it up as he goes along the rest of the way). We then break into a meeting between Komox, a servant of Nightmare Spawn named Ordeal, and a shadow figure as they look to possibly plot against King Spawn. The issue then wraps up as Al meets Raven Spawn which Raven kills Zab and mentions that Al is only a pawn to the real king as Raven leaves after a small fight happens. Pretty decent opening issue to the new arc, despite the clunky chess bit, as we have several moving pieces - is the Court still BS'ing Al regarding Wanda, what is Terry's role going to be in this, a new alliance forming, and the mystery of the true king which works. How Al will open the Dead Zones here, given what is happening in the main book, is something I'm curious about and Thomas Nachlik does a good job on the art front stepping in for Javi and will be the case for issues 14 & 15. Hope Javi comes back though.

Spawn #333 - cover A notes "halfway to the mark...of the beast" and I am curious on what that is about. With Al and Sinn throwing down last issue, this issue sees how the forces - Heaven, Hell, and Greenworld - are taking to that as a member of Clown's army named Cadiclus appears to Sinn with information on how he can bypass the need for the Dead Zones entirely due to a fissure at Omega Island previously mentioned in an earlier issue that possibly with Sinn's powers can allow him to go to Hell. Elsewhere, Downing and his crew are preparing to take down Al but Marc has reservations on the plan and wants to talk with Al first though Downing isn't convinced Al will turn a new leaf (wise man here). We get a little training with Overtkill and Haunt as Downing talks with the mysterious person from last issue as we see Spawn take down some fools but his body is taking a toll being in constant action as he tries to flush out Sinn. At Spawn HQ, Marc tries to convince Al with no luck at all, surprise surprise, as Downing and his team jump in as the issue ends. An issue devoted to table setting than anything else which is fine as we get some interesting developments on Sinn's side like him partnering with Bludd and a return to Omega Island coming soon and Downing and his team spring into action with not only the mystery of what Downing's plan really is but also who the mysterious person Downing has been talking to hanging over it all. That said, once again the timeline of events rears its ugly head like the Kilgores worried that Marc would rat out Haunt to Jessica but a) why would Marc do that and b) how do Haunt and Priest even know one another when we haven't established them meeting in the first place? Yes Haunt appears in the Scorched book as well and helps out that team but again we have no context as to how Haunt and Jessica know one another as on page it has not happened in any of the books. Second, why does a tired Al want to flush out Sinn when he got his ass whooped last issue? That makes no sense and Al's antagonist attitude towards Marc is tiring to the point that I question why Marc bothers when he and Jessica got kicked out of the base by Al himself who thinks he's the only one that can do it all by himself and has been reiterated almost ad nauseam in all of the books. Also later on Al reveals to Marc that he's known for some time now that Marc has melded with Medieval Spawn which surprises Marc but it shouldn't when in Scorched #6 after the fight with a Sin Devourer Marc removes the Medieval helmet and are supposed to assume Al didn't notice the switch? Its a point that falls flat and even in the context of just this book, Al couldn't really care about Marc at all before having his Spawn powers. All of this drags this book down imo even though some interesting stuff is happening here. In addition, can we get a redesign on both Bludd and Downing at this point because the all black look is really generic. Hope we finally find out what Downing has been cooking this whole time next issue and maybe find out who the mysterious person Downing has been talking to is.
    This is answered in king spawn 14 somewhat Gaia agrees on the condition that Wanda’s soul is needed since Gaia has her body and Terry likely calls in the scorched or downing to stop al.
    Mystery person is clown who used his classic form to hide his upgrades the shadow man is likely the one pulling the strings.

I have a hunch Wanda will be revived by Gaia but as a poison ivy expy serving the green world now came back wrong in the worst way possible. Also king spawn breakdown Thomas hunter that violator would show up and malebolgia would eventually return also hunter ninja spawn to become more active

Also too be fair since resurrection al got to be a chest master since then
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-21-2022 at 04:32 AM.