Page 14 of 126 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

All-New Member

Time to start reading again! I'm glad Todd finally hired another quality writer and gave him free reign to do what he wants. That's aces.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Thanks Forever Knight and Dark-Flux. I generally really like Hine so it's good to hear positivity about his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    #185... was David Hine's run good? And what were some of the better past arcs? It's a little early to know what I can read to get into Wood's run, but I wonder if there are any essentials regardless.
    Hine came in at #150 with the armageddon arc, which is pretty much where the book started to be on the decline. I don't think there are any essentials to read for the new team coming in, what you need to know you probably already do. If you have any questions when you'll start reading Spawn again (if you do) just come here and pm or ask in the forums.
    But, if you do want to read the best Spawn, read anything Holguin made (#60ish-149ish, can't quite remember exactly). That is when Spawn was at it's prime and when it used to be my favorite comicbook of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    I read a few issues after Jim became the new Spawn and wasn't invested at all. Now that Al is coming back, maybe I'll add it to my pull list again. Can someone point me to where I can get some good, detailed recaps? THANKS
    A whole bunch of nothing and long boring ass monologues that's what happened. Honestly you didn't miss anything.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    Hine came in at #150 with the armageddon arc, which is pretty much where the book started to be on the decline. I don't think there are any essentials to read for the new team coming in, what you need to know you probably already do. If you have any questions when you'll start reading Spawn again (if you do) just come here and pm or ask in the forums.
    But, if you do want to read the best Spawn, read anything Holguin made (#60ish-149ish, can't quite remember exactly). That is when Spawn was at it's prime and when it used to be my favorite comicbook of all time...
    Honestly after issue 100, the book was dragging its feet a lot until Hine came in at 150 and stopped that. Everything was Mammon and really began my hate for that character as everything was him that did it in some way (even post-Armageddon did this). Not to say Hine's run was perfect - what was done to God/Satan was questionable at best, I wasn't much of a fan of issues 166-184 (going back to Wanda, bringing in Al's family history, and a time traveling Cyan), and Man of Miracles was something, but to me Hine just streamlined all the BS that was dangling throughout the series history and produced the book's ultimate goal for Al from 150 - 164 and did that very well I think.

Amazing Member

Quick question, I probably know this, but a quick reminder would be nice, with issue 250, is the comic going digital, part of me thinks I've heard that. It'd be nice to get my Spawn on day one instead of waiting a week and a half til the comic store by me actually gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Thanks Forever Knight and Dark-Flux. I generally really like Hine so it's good to hear positivity about his run.
    Hine's run was the best. I am so happy to hear Spawn is going more of the superhero route again. It's long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
    Quick question, I probably know this, but a quick reminder would be nice, with issue 250, is the comic going digital, part of me thinks I've heard that. It'd be nice to get my Spawn on day one instead of waiting a week and a half til the comic store by me actually gets it.
    Yep:

When the 250th issue hits, McFarlane plans to launch Spawn digitally for the first time and hopes to get the whole library out, where fans can catch up on his, Capullo's and other artists' work over more than 20 years.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...sive/16931425/
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Honestly after issue 100, the book was dragging its feet a lot until Hine came in at 150 and stopped that. Everything was Mammon and really began my hate for that character as everything was him that did it in some way (even post-Armageddon did this). Not to say Hine's run was perfect - what was done to God/Satan was questionable at best, I wasn't much of a fan of issues 166-184 (going back to Wanda, bringing in Al's family history, and a time traveling Cyan), and Man of Miracles was something, but to me Hine just streamlined all the BS that was dangling throughout the series history and produced the book's ultimate goal for Al from 150 - 164 and did that very well I think.
    There's been awesome issues between #100-149, I don't know what you're talking about with dragging feets, it was just more of the good stuff with Spawn kicking ass like we've had for years. I for one liked Mammon alot and was looking for his appearances out of nowhere. If you ask me it was all downhill when MoM came in revealing how he is the one who create God and Satan which are just 2 dumbasses fighting each other like children. They used that MoM character as a cop out to close the loop on lots of stuff too. **** that guy. #150-170ish wasn't that bad but still far from anything made before that.

I personally found 100-149 to be the weakest era of Spawn. It just had no direction.

^ Agreed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I personally found 100-149 to be the weakest era of Spawn. It just had no direction.
    Co-signd!!!!

100-149 as a whole was very weak but it had some great stuff in patches. Mammon, Nyx, and Redeemer were the highlights. That one arc in Hell was fantastic. Everything else was a drag and felt pointless and just meandered around.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    There's been awesome issues between #100-149, I don't know what you're talking about with dragging feets, it was just more of the good stuff with Spawn kicking ass like we've had for years. I for one liked Mammon alot and was looking for his appearances out of nowhere. If you ask me it was all downhill when MoM came in revealing how he is the one who create God and Satan which are just 2 dumbasses fighting each other like children. They used that MoM character as a cop out to close the loop on lots of stuff too. **** that guy. #150-170ish wasn't that bad but still far from anything made before that.
    The series pretty much didn't know what to do after Al killed Malebolgia between 100 - 149. A Season In Hell definitely had a promise with Al going to Hell to take the throne, but it leading to Cog taking on the throne and Al back to Earth as a human with his memories lost and what came afterward I felt kinda meh about it. The Kingdom arc was decent, but then you later go back and do the same thing only with the Violator and clowns overrunning the city that just magically fixes itself up and no one mentions that again. Wynn being involved was tiring, Redeemer was okay but no follow through with him, and Nyx was probably the best thing about that whole part but then Al befriends her despite her backstabbing him, but that is okay I guess. Also by then Wanda/Terry were so far removed from the storyline that they were just there and nothing much was done with them. Also Al lost his memory twice! My problem with Mammon was his very first appearance when Al owned him easily and then we're just supposed to accept that he's this Lex Luthor like mastermind, I never bought it and his appearances grew grating for me as time went on. MoM, despite a few things, wrapped things up that needed to be wrapped up and not drag on to another storyline (like the Greenworld).

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    True it didn't have a big master plot in the making, and to be honest that's what I found the coolest about it. It was just random/bizzare/interesting things happening that would take 2-3 or 4 issues to resolve, nothing grandiose or mythos reshaping event. With Cog taking the throne of hell (too bad they didn't go further with that because of copyright issues), redeemer trapped in hell, Nyx using the symbiot to search hell for her friend, Spawn using big ass guns again, I thought that was awesome.

My biggest problem is how almost everything we thought we knew about the spawn mythos was just flushed down the toilet after #150. They changed so many things that made what spawn is to that date that it felt like a giant FU for everything that I had read about Spawn. They should of just rebooted the serie after the armegeddon arc, the book was barely the shadow of itself after that.
    Last edited by Jack00; 10-13-2014 at 05:29 PM.