Page 17 of 126 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    Man I miss Haunt. KIRKMAN'S Haunt, not that steaming pile of **** Casey did. Was the best book on the shelve :/ Still pissed at Capullo even if he is my fav artist of all times for leaving the project thus ending the title with Kirkman.
    Todd could have stepped in and drawn the book after greg left. I wonder what they book could have been if Todd did real inks straight through instead of darkening pencils, the few pages he really inked were phenomenal. Haunt probably needs a redesign if they're going to bring him back, in costume he seems like spidey-venom. IMO they should sleek him up. the supporting cast was interesting

Fantastic Member

Okay so I had a chance to read the last 4 issues of Spawn, but before I get to that going back to the last issue I wrote, 244, I had a few things that scratched my head. First, why is Clown still doing the doctor guise? The purpose for Clown to do this was to move the angel from Endgame, Victoria, into a secure facility so he can make a deal to gain information on who helped Al do what he did. Bludd tainted that so she's no use at this point so why keep the charade. Second, when Jim poured the dirt of the Dead Zone on Clown eliminating all of his powers why does Clown still have the ability to transform to another being mere seconds after Jim leaves? That should have ended his doctor schtick. Anyways, on to the other issues.

245 - A ridiculous amount of filler here. Only the last 3 pages or so are worthwhile as Jim finds out that Marc's contacts died because of the wedding photo, Jim reveals Spawn to Marc, and something is up with Sara. The rest is drawn out - the conversation of Jim/Sara (which I find so time wasting) and the useless pages of the two guys in the cafe and Jim in the cab. My biggest problem with this issue is Marc having a photo of Spawn. Up to this point, we know that Marc's sole contact in the CIA is Terry Fitzgerald. So why would Terry give that photo to Marc with Terry knowing full well what Spawn is and capable of on top of the fact that he would think its Al. If the CIA believes Jim's connected to Spawn, shouldn't that prompt a more aggressive action towards Jim and plan to attack him or something.

246 - "When today started, it had been my best since waking from my coma." Really Jim? The day you woke up you were attacked by a super villain, the hospital you were in was bombed, you turned into a demonic creature, went to multiple hospitals, met up with Sara again, and turned into said demonic creature again to kill some random thugs. But best day ever before this issue right. Anyways this was a decent issue with Jim confiding in Marc what he's been keeping from him and how best to handle the CIA situation. Additionally Sara being possessed served as a reminder of the lesson Cog taught Jim and Jim uses the big cross Redeemer 3 left behind in issue 197 to dispel the possession for a bit. Not sure what to make of apparently Al coming through Jim while holding the cross. Also is their a reason why Kudranski couldn't finish this issue? Just odd that he couldn't do the last 2 pages and Todd had to step in. Probably related to him getting the call for Superman Doomed #2?

247 - So we find that the crap has the hit the fan as Jim apparently had sex with Sara in between the end of 244 and the beginning of 245 and that just turned everything upside down because with Sara having gone through "The Black" and Jim having sex with her after saving her, a piece of the symbiote is now within Sara. One of the doctors works for Bludd and tells Jim that he must give up a blood sample and they won't kill Sara to which Jim agrees. Meanwhile Clown tells Hel to become crazy powerful by simply touching Jim a lot which would drain his powers and Father Kilgore looks to have a conversation with Marc. While it seems like a lot happened more could have been done. Todd uses way too many words and has a number of useless scenes of the most minutiae of detail that instead could be moving the story more (the doctor details and two reporter pages for example). Marc flips out because he's been through his dad in a coma before, but everyone else should be more pissed off because you know, Jim is supposed to be the miracle worker so if he can't cure Sara what chance do regular doctors have considering what the foundation has been preaching. Kinda meh issue with a useless Spawn scene that was completely unnecessary.

248 - The ebola page was unnecessary. Anyways, Marc goes back to the Clarion to research Ramus/Bludd when he meets Father Kilgore who tells Marc that Spawn has his final test coming up and must win, that Jim & the costume have been spreading a disease and not curing people, and for Marc to look to Wanda Blake for answers. Meanwhile, Bludd is attacked by Jim (in Wings of Redemption mode then later his angelic mode) and looks for answers on Sara to which Jim's plan is for the symbiote to seep into Bludd so Jim can get answers on saving Sara though of course he doesn't know if this will work. Oh and I think Jim revealed he's a vampire too because why the hell not. Decent issue however those wondering about Haunt will be disappointed in knowing that their is only one page of him that was completely unnecessary. Kilgore transforms into Haunt during his conversation with Marc for no reason and Marc apparently has no reaction to seeing this transformation. So close to 250 we still don't know how Haunt knows about Spawn, Al, and what he is really trying to do or how he knows what he knows. On top of that, so many forces need to be touched on such as all the heavenly forces - the Vatican/Medieval Spawn, Redeemer, Solomon Pure and heavenly vampires, the albinos, what Cog is up to, Sam & Twitch's investigation, and Rowand and the CIA if they ever will do anything.

The letters column of this issue also has Todd having a few answers on why the new team was picked and on Haunt too.

On Brian Wood:

I was looking for someone to come aboard who has a wide range of experience on a book. That was the biggest deal for me. If we forget Brian's resume as a whole and just look at DMZ and X-Men, X-Men is about as traditional as a superhero book can get. Then look at DMZ and it's sort of funky. I was looking for someone who wasn't writing the same kind of story for years and Brian fit that.
    On Jonboy Meyers:

Art in the eye of the beholder and there are just some times you look at someone's stuff and just say, "WOW"! His art fell into the "WOW" category for me. We are going to see if he can bring that impact to a monthly comic book. On top of Brian's new direction, I hope it will have a big impact on this book and the way it looks.
    On Haunt:

He's in this very issue you are reading. I've mentioned it to Brian and Jonboy that he exists and he is in the mythos at the end of #250. So they are going to think about what they want to do or not do with that character. Depending on what that answer is, we will go from there.
    My biggest problem in all of this is that I don't care about the Sara plot because I have no idea why she was taken in the first place about 8 months ago. That was glossed over and while Jim may know why the reader doesn't so its tough to care about what happens to Sara. Additionally the villains are all acting reactionary to what Jim is doing and not the other way around. For example, how would Bludd have obtained Jim's blood, which Bludd didn't plot, if this didn't happen and why wait till now to have now Clown reveal that Hel could have gotten stronger this entire time by simply touching Jim and draining his powers which I thought was what Clown wanted in the first place to weaken Jim and the symbiote. Because they sit around and plot all the time and not do anything to Jim their is no sense of threat outside of the symbiote itself and if that is supposed to be some huge threat and everyone vying for it why is no one doing anything about it.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 11-09-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    Man, I hope not. Al's story has evolved him being burnt. But I bet they'll use some explanation about him blowing his own head up to have him disfigured again.

Al can't catch a break.
    I hope that's not the case

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Okay so I had a chance to read the last 4 issues of Spawn, but before I get to that going back to the last issue I wrote, 244, I had a few things that scratched my head. First, why is Clown still doing the doctor guise? The purpose for Clown to do this was to move the angel from Endgame, Victoria, into a secure facility so he can make a deal to gain information on who helped Al do what he did. Bludd tainted that so she's no use at this point so why keep the charade. Second, when Jim poured the dirt of the Dead Zone on Clown eliminating all of his powers why does Clown still have the ability to transform to another being mere seconds after Jim leaves? That should have ended his doctor schtick. Anyways, on to the other issues.

245 - A ridiculous amount of filler here. Only the last 3 pages or so are worthwhile as Jim finds out that Marc's contacts died because of the wedding photo, Jim reveals Spawn to Marc, and something is up with Sara. The rest is drawn out - the conversation of Jim/Sara (which I find so time wasting) and the useless pages of the two guys in the cafe and Jim in the cab. My biggest problem with this issue is Marc having a photo of Spawn. Up to this point, we know that Marc's sole contact in the CIA is Terry Fitzgerald. So why would Terry give that photo to Marc with Terry knowing full well what Spawn is and capable of on top of the fact that he would think its Al. If the CIA believes Jim's connected to Spawn, shouldn't that prompt a more aggressive action towards Jim and plan to attack him or something.

246 - "When today started, it had been my best since waking from my coma." Really Jim? The day you woke up you were attacked by a super villain, the hospital you were in was bombed, you turned into a demonic creature, went to multiple hospitals, met up with Sara again, and turned into said demonic creature again to kill some random thugs. But best day ever before this issue right. Anyways this was a decent issue with Jim confiding in Marc what he's been keeping from him and how best to handle the CIA situation. Additionally Sara being possessed served as a reminder of the lesson Cog taught Jim and Jim uses the big cross Redeemer 3 left behind in issue 197 to dispel the possession for a bit. Not sure what to make of apparently Al coming through Jim while holding the cross. Also is their a reason why Kudranski couldn't finish this issue? Just odd that he couldn't do the last 2 pages and Todd had to step in. Probably related to him getting the call for Superman Doomed #2?

247 - So we find that the crap has the hit the fan as Jim apparently had sex with Sara in between the end of 244 and the beginning of 245 and that just turned everything upside down because with Sara having gone through "The Black" and Jim having sex with her after saving her, a piece of the symbiote is now within Sara. One of the doctors works for Bludd and tells Jim that he must give up a blood sample and they won't kill Sara to which Jim agrees. Meanwhile Clown tells Hel to become crazy powerful by simply touching Jim a lot which would drain his powers and Father Kilgore looks to have a conversation with Marc. While it seems like a lot happened more could have been done. Todd uses way too many words and has a number of useless scenes of the most minutiae of detail that instead could be moving the story more (the doctor details and two reporter pages for example). Marc flips out because he's been through his dad in a coma before, but everyone else should be more pissed off because you know, Jim is supposed to be the miracle worker so if he can't cure Sara what chance do regular doctors have considering what the foundation has been preaching. Kinda meh issue with a useless Spawn scene that was completely unnecessary.

248 - The ebola page was unnecessary. Anyways, Marc goes back to the Clarion to research Ramus/Bludd when he meets Father Kilgore who tells Marc that Spawn has his final test coming up and must win, that Jim & the costume have been spreading a disease and not curing people, and for Marc to look to Wanda Blake for answers. Meanwhile, Bludd is attacked by Jim (in Wings of Redemption mode then later his angelic mode) and looks for answers on Sara to which Jim's plan is for the symbiote to seep into Bludd so Jim can get answers on saving Sara though of course he doesn't know if this will work. Oh and I think Jim revealed he's a vampire too because why the hell not. Decent issue however those wondering about Haunt will be disappointed in knowing that their is only one page of him that was completely unnecessary. Kilgore transforms into Haunt during his conversation with Marc for no reason and Marc apparently has no reaction to seeing this transformation. So close to 250 we still don't know how Haunt knows about Spawn, Al, and what he is really trying to do or how he knows what he knows. On top of that, so many forces need to be touched on such as all the heavenly forces - the Vatican/Medieval Spawn, Redeemer, Solomon Pure and heavenly vampires, the albinos, what Cog is up to, Sam & Twitch's investigation, and Rowand and the CIA if they ever will do anything.

The letters column of this issue also has Todd having a few answers on why the new team was picked and on Haunt too.

On Brian Wood:

On Jonboy Meyers:

On Haunt:

My biggest problem in all of this is that I don't care about the Sara plot because I have no idea why she was taken in the first place about 8 months ago. That was glossed over and while Jim may know why the reader doesn't so its tough to care about what happens to Sara. Additionally the villains are all acting reactionary to what Jim is doing and not the other way around. For example, how would Bludd have obtained Jim's blood, which Bludd didn't plot, if this didn't happen and why wait till now to have now Clown reveal that Hel could have gotten stronger this entire time by simply touching Jim and draining his powers which I thought was what Clown wanted in the first place to weaken Jim and the symbiote. Because they sit around and plot all the time and not do anything to Jim their is no sense of threat outside of the symbiote itself and if that is supposed to be some huge threat and everyone vying for it why is no one doing anything about it.
    Jeez, that all sounds very frustrating and awful to read.

Fantastic Member

In brighter news, Todd revealed on his Facebook page the Lucky 13 winners, the fan art contest Todd was running to have fans submit art. Just wanted to post a couple that caught my eye, but overall really good picks all around.

I was looking at those last night. Lots of good ones.

I have to admit, between one Todd drew himself awhile back and this entry, I've become really fond of Baby Spawn drawings.

I love the little touch of the Spawn skull emblem being the nightlight, too. Haha!
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Fantastic Member

Baby Spawn needs to be a thing like a plushie. I didn't even catch the nightlight before, good detail.

I remember when Image United was around they had a backup of all the Image characters in kid form that was rather cute.

Anyone here own extras of Spawn #243-248 they could sell me?. Ebay is just too damn expensive. No way I am paying $20 for a fucking issue. I just need to catch up on these for my collecting.

I think that Jonboy Meyers art (the Resurrection cover) is pretty weak. There's nothing really "wrong" with it but it just strikes me as really generic superhero art. I don't get why Todd handpicked him at all, it's not dark or edgy or anything that strikes me as classic Spawn.

The Kudranski / McFarlane cover right below it looks incredible. Todd's inking is soooo good. If Spawn is going to continue to stick around, Todd should ink the book. Give it his artistic touch on some level.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Anyone here own extras of Spawn #243-248 they could sell me?. Ebay is just too damn expensive. No way I am paying $20 for a fucking issue. I just need to catch up on these for my collecting.
    You can try Midtown Comics. They do ship issues and you can get all the issues you are missing for about $15 and change overall and they do free shipping and free peel-n-stick bag & board too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by prismablue View Post
    Another artist I can't get into.

Will Todd be drawing the triple sized 250?
    Going by the solicit, Kudranski will be doing the whole 250. Maybe Todd will step in for a few pages or not, we'll see. However, the epilogue will have art by Jonboy Meyers.

You can get them for $2.99 each at MyComicShop.com, although #247 is currently out of stock. They offer flat shipping rates, too.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    You can try Midtown Comics. They do ship issues and you can get all the issues you are missing for about $15 and change overall and they do free shipping and free peel-n-stick bag & board too.
    link??!?!?! I will try them first.

Fantastic Member

link??!?!?! I will try them first.
    Whoops. Sorry about that. Here you go. Best to do a specific search for each issue otherwise if you do a general search on Spawn you'll get everything.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/?pname=...comics%5Fimage

On searching for your missing issues though, I noticed they are out of stock of them all except a variant of 247.

Though you can add the issues to your wishlist if they are out of stock and once they have in stock (which they stock up pretty regularly) they'll let you know.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 11-11-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!