Page 19 of 126 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Not really a fan of the shredded cake tbh. I prefer when its big and full, so he can wrap himself in it.
    6 is waaay overkill. And not keen on the horns of 4.

But then as said, i guess it depends on Als state when he returns.
    I think shredded cake could be good.

But yeah that is the interesting part out of all the designs that they all have the shredded cape. The costume did get a bit shredded after the fight with Redeemer 2 around issue 32 signifying a more rapid change in transformation of the symbiote and it potentially getting a bigger hold on Al so it was a bit of a plot point around that time. Maybe its bringing this idea back and the symbiote will have more control which in turn would explain the venom-like face.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Just an update from Todd on his Facebook page and one particularly interesting since we are discussing the new look. He posted a few designs of Spawn that Meyers sent in to him, one of which will be used and we'll be seeing going forward. What do you think of them?

I particularly like the top right version 2. Feels inspired from the first arc in Curse of the Spawn a bit and doesn't stray too far. Don't particularly like versions 4 and 5. Not sure what to think of version 6. Version 3 looks like what we will get. Kinda wish they get rid of the big boot though. The thing about these is context too. The state with which Al will come back and a few of these designs look evil-ish particularly version 4 and the face in versions 3 - 5 but the symbiote should be under control with Al back but maybe not?

Jonboy says to expect new versions of the past cast to pop up later in the new team's run.
    I like the first pic

Just an update from Todd on his Facebook page and one particularly interesting since we are discussing the new look. He posted a few designs of Spawn that Meyers sent in to him, one of which will be used and we'll be seeing going forward. What do you think of them?

I particularly like the top right version 2. Feels inspired from the first arc in Curse of the Spawn a bit and doesn't stray too far. Don't particularly like versions 4 and 5. Not sure what to think of version 6. Version 3 looks like what we will get. Kinda wish they get rid of the big boot though. The thing about these is context too. The state with which Al will come back and a few of these designs look evil-ish particularly version 4 and the face in versions 3 - 5 but the symbiote should be under control with Al back but maybe not?

Jonboy says to expect new versions of the past cast to pop up later in the new team's run.
    I love the original. It's just simple. Everything else is way too cluttered. 6 could work if they got rid of the shoulder pad and gave him the gauntlet from 5, though.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Spectacular Member

Wow Spawn wielding the Final Fantasy inspired sword. I'm so damned happy Al Simmons is back.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Finally jumping on board with this when the new creative team takes over. I got some early Spawn trades for cheap and didn't care for them that much, but I've been really enjoying the Armageddon storyline by David Hine. Collection 2 is being shipped to me soon. I hope Wood's run is more in line with those. It seems that Spawn is great when Todd lets someone else do the writing chores.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    It's Venom-esque.
    Spawn's costume has always been a knock-off of Venon's costume/Spiderman symbiote suit anyway. Spawn turned into crap after Todd decided to make Spawn white.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Spawn's costume has always been a knock-off of Venon's costume/Spiderman symbiote suit anyway. Spawn turned into crap after Todd decided to make Spawn white.
    Who created Venom?

Well, McFarlane is credited as a co-creator, but he mainly came up with the "creepy" look of the teeth and tongue.
    The black costume and the actual character was a bunch of other folks.

Fantastic Member

So 249 - the battle between Jim and the Symbiote/Bludd. Now in the last issue, Jim wanted to use Bludd so the symbiote can go into him and Jim can then find out from the symbiote how to save Sara, but wasn't sure this would work. Is he successful? The answer is no and I came away not quite sure what to take away from this issue. The fight itself isn't interesting as its just flying, grabbing, and a few punches. But whats really happening, and the main focus of the issue, is that the symbiote's evil has been given form as a massive infestation that threatens to engulf the millions of people of NYC. However this seems to be Jim's plan for all of the evil to seep out of the symbiote so its weak enough to take over completely and then he'll save Sara? I'm just not entirely sure as Jim uses the time to boast at the symbiote about how he's been in control this entire time just to get to this moment. As the fight progresses a mysterious narrator appears that is neither the symbiote or Jim that is implying that this fight is bringing Al back and at the end, the symbiote and Jim are one again and flies off somewhere but the entity is neither so is this Al back? Oh and Bludd survives this entire thing so where does this leave him?

Their are several scenes such as the news portion and Marc that are used to advance this infestation plot and at the end Cog is with Sam & Twitch who are still investigating the reason why Jim has multiple fingerprints and Cog tells them to look at the clues completely different as the answer is so obvious (I'm sure it is Cog). The issue ends with the infestation having formed at 3 sites and the reporter stating that the infestation has formed letters or symbols but Twitch sees that they aren't letters but numbers - 5 5 1.

Because this issue is entirely focused on the Jim/Symbiote battle and infestation plot nothing else is advanced and I came away not sure what to look forward to in the next issue as that is being sold entirely on the return of Al Simmons. I now see why 250 is a triple-sized issue because their is a TON of work that needs to be wrapped up and I'm honestly not sure if a triple sized issue is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Well, McFarlane is credited as a co-creator, but he mainly came up with the "creepy" look of the teeth and tongue.
    The black costume and the actual character was a bunch of other folks.
    Still can't call it a knock off. That's like calling all of Liefeld's Cable look a likes a knock off as well when that isn't the case.

Was Spawn #249 releasd this week?

I thought the costume wasn't a symbiote until the Alan Moore stuff. I could be wrong, though. Just seems like something Moore did and McFarlane ran with it. Like when Moore and Warren Ellis redefined the WildStorm universe and the changes went into every following book. Image was never really cohesive story-wise its first few years so I let a lot of **** fall to the wayside.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

I remember there was the time a bum tried of the mask and it triedto suffocate him, giving the impression that it was sentient. Cant recall if that was before the Moore stuff tho...

Moore was definetly the one to outright state it was a symbiote though. K7-Leetha an all that.

Spectacular Member

Anyone know if the HC Spawn origins are continuing?
    It's been a while since book 9 and haven't been able to find anything on a book 10
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben11345 View Post
    Anyone know if the HC Spawn origins are continuing?
    It's been a while since book 9 and haven't been able to find anything on a book 10
    Thanks
    Been over a freaken year now since we've been waiting for Book 10.

So 249 - the battle between Jim and the Symbiote/Bludd. Now in the last issue, Jim wanted to use Bludd so the symbiote can go into him and Jim can then find out from the symbiote how to save Sara, but wasn't sure this would work. Is he successful? The answer is no and I came away not quite sure what to take away from this issue. The fight itself isn't interesting as its just flying, grabbing, and a few punches. But whats really happening, and the main focus of the issue, is that the symbiote's evil has been given form as a massive infestation that threatens to engulf the millions of people of NYC. However this seems to be Jim's plan for all of the evil to seep out of the symbiote so its weak enough to take over completely and then he'll save Sara? I'm just not entirely sure as Jim uses the time to boast at the symbiote about how he's been in control this entire time just to get to this moment. As the fight progresses a mysterious narrator appears that is neither the symbiote or Jim that is implying that this fight is bringing Al back and at the end, the symbiote and Jim are one again and flies off somewhere but the entity is neither so is this Al back? Oh and Bludd survives this entire thing so where does this leave him?

Their are several scenes such as the news portion and Marc that are used to advance this infestation plot and at the end Cog is with Sam & Twitch who are still investigating the reason why Jim has multiple fingerprints and Cog tells them to look at the clues completely different as the answer is so obvious (I'm sure it is Cog). The issue ends with the infestation having formed at 3 sites and the reporter stating that the infestation has formed letters or symbols but Twitch sees that they aren't letters but numbers - 5 5 1.

Because this issue is entirely focused on the Jim/Symbiote battle and infestation plot nothing else is advanced and I came away not sure what to look forward to in the next issue as that is being sold entirely on the return of Al Simmons. I now see why 250 is a triple-sized issue because their is a TON of work that needs to be wrapped up and I'm honestly not sure if a triple sized issue is enough.
    Todd McFarlane plotting 101.