Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

How would you know if youre not reading it?

Quote Originally Posted by gsnake007 View Post
    i need Al to come back until then i wont be reading spawn because hes way more interesting than jim
    I'll be honest. Jim Downing is not bad at all. I kinda like the fact we don't have our hero crying about Wanda all the time. Read up to the latest issue, you might change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    I'll be honest. Jim Downing is not bad at all. I kinda like the fact we don't have our hero crying about Wanda all the time. Read up to the latest issue, you might change your mind.
    Yes. Though I miss Al and hope he returns the whining for Wanda was tiresome. As for Jim, it took a while but I don't think he's so bad.

Still hoping we can see a Spawn vs. Haunt fight.

Al will be back soon. I would say even by the soon approaching #250. Jim had nearly 75 issues to make his mark and he just aint all that interesting in comparison. There just no real hook. Im more into the surrounding characters, world, and villains in the Spawn book than Jim himself.

McFarlane always says its the Spawn itself that is the main character - but hes wrong. It's Al that is the icon, and the timeless character. Al IS Spawn. Weve been stuck with Jim for years and he still feels like an imposter, and always will.

Even after all these years I still feel like theres so much more to explore in this universe. I still put this book on the top of my stack each month and I own every single issue.
    Last edited by Destro777; 05-07-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Holy crap! It;s been 77 issues now that we've had Jim??

I finally got around to reading a few tpb's of him and he's awesome. But even without reading them i'd still be a fan

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Holy crap! It;s been 77 issues now that we've had Jim??
    Actually its been about 58 issues. Jim first appeared in issue 185 when Al took himself out of the game. We've had Jim for almost 6 years now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Actually its been about 58 issues. Jim first appeared in issue 185 when Al took himself out of the game. We've had Jim for almost 6 years now.
    Correct!

6 years eh... yeah, I think it's time to wrap up this storyline by #250 and move onto something new.

Amazing Member

I like the writing of the current Spawn team, but I think the art leaves quite a lot to be desired, it looks really murky and unclear.

Really? Im kinda the opposite.
    I mean the art is a bit murky, yes. But i think thats a good fit for Spawn.

McFarlanes script on the other hand...
    Well, what he's actually isnt bad. But damn, guy needs an editor. You could cut down each issue to half the word count and get the same message across.

I don't mind the "darker" style of art Spawn has been doing but nothing will be the previous art it had.

Fantastic Member

I like the current art by Kudranski and it fits Spawn well. I just think that Kudranski can do more. Todd's mentioned in the letters column some issues back that Kudranski's art is best suited for those talking scenes and I think he is only half right. Kudranski can definitely set a pretty good atmospheric feel to the comic (which I've also seen in his DC work on some of the Batman books) that unfortunately I haven't seen from him in this book for a while. The scene with Spawn sitting in the alley with a worm in his hand as its raining or Malebolgia sitting in a room with decapitated dogs waiting for Clown are great scenes and the comic needs more of that. Also, more fight scenes wouldn't hurt either.

The fight scenes have always been Spawn's problem. One thing I loved about Hine's run with Spawn was he threw in more action scenes.