Page 23 of 126 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    It still might be. As already said, Ressurection is scheduled for late Feb/early March with the new writer.

Anybody else thinking maybe Grant Morrison became available last minute so Todd ditched Brian Wood in favour of him?
    Could be a possibility, but what is his usual workload? I mean he is still doing Multiversity for DC which will wrap up in April, will be doing Nameless for Image beginning next month, and maybe something else I'm not aware of? Could he commit to Spawn for up to 2 years given he is such a big name?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    I'm lost here.

Wouldn't they already have almost finished up working on #251 and a few more issues Post-McFarlane run?

I thought they even said the new run would be more superhero-esque.
    Wood only wrote the script for the Resurrection one shot, but didn't write anything for 251 as he was off by the time the March solicits came out. The script he handed in on the one shot was heavily edited and now looks to be thrown out the window in favor of the new writer coming on board who will begin with the one shot. Though I do wonder if the new writer will also be in the epilogue of 250 since that was when we were supposed to see the new team provide a teaser for their direction.

The new direction could still be superhero-esque but we'll just have to wait and see what Todd says tomorrow at the Expo on it.

I'll go on a rampage if Morrision ruins Spawn.

Todd McFarlane, Brian Holguin and Clayton Crane launching a new miniseries entitled "Savior".

Looks to be about a reincarnated Jesus arising in modern times with amnesia or something...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2r21385.jpg
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 01-08-2015 at 12:29 PM.

New writer is Paul Jenkins.
    Hes no Grant Morrison, but i prefer him to Brian Wood. Just pleeeeease back off Todd.

Fantastic Member

I thought this from Todd was interesting:

During Image Comics Publisher Eric Stephenson's keynote address, McFarlane joked that Jenkins job on the book would be to make fans wonder why Spawn's creator had been writing the series for so long.
    That's pretty much exactly what Todd said when they had Wood. Hopefully we'll hear what Jenkins has in mind since supposedly he's talked with Todd about a 2 year plan which is encouraging. What he's done is quite interesting and I think makes him a good choice for Spawn and he is at least familiar with the franchise having done work on Spawn The Undead mini series so I'm wondering if we'll be heading in that kind of direction though with Jonboy's art style that would be rather tough to pull off.

Todd McFarlane, Brian Holguin and Clayton Crane launching a new miniseries entitled "Savior".

Looks to be about a reincarnated Jesus arising in modern times with amnesia or something...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2r21385.jpg
    This sounds pretty interesting.

New writer is Paul Jenkins.
    Hes no Grant Morrison, but i prefer him to Brian Wood. Just pleeeeease back off Todd.
    What other stuff has he done?

Incredible Member

So if I want to get into Spawn should I pick up #250, the Resurrection One-Shot or #251? Always been curious about Spawn but haven't had the courage to take the plunge.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    So if I want to get into Spawn should I pick up #250, the Resurrection One-Shot or #251? Always been curious about Spawn but haven't had the courage to take the plunge.
    I would say start with the one shot. The new team starts there and moves afterwards to 251 and onwards. 250 will be looking to wrap up the current Spawn's story, Jim Downing, whose been around for 6-7 years now so probably not a good jumping on point for those new to the series.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 01-08-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    This sounds pretty interesting.

What other stuff has he done?
    Jenkins has done a ton of stuff. On Spawn specifically he was on the Spawn The Undead mini series for the whole 9 issues. Outside of that, he's done several Spiderman series, he's done some Hellblazer, Hulk, Witchblade, and The Darkness at various points among other things.

I love "Spawn: The Undead". It was the best of the spin-offs that I've read. And Jenkins wrote about a year of Witchblade back in the 90s, the Pez Killer storyline and I think he introduced the Excalibur stuff. This is better than Morrison, as far as I'm concerned, because Morrison isn't always a coherent storyteller.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Start with issue 1. Get to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Jenkins has done a ton of stuff. On Spawn specifically he was on the Spawn The Undead mini series for the whole 9 issues. Outside of that, he's done several Spiderman series, he's done some Hellblazer, Hulk, Witchblade, and The Darkness at various points among other things.
    This gives me some hope.

And Jenkins won his Eisner for his Inhumans series with Jae Lee, which as expected was greeeeeaaat!

His more recent creator owned series Deathmatch for Boom was also well recieved, and personally his run on Witchblade was the turning point for me when the book actually found its voice and became a legitamitly good read.

Then he did Batman: Dark Knight for DC. Which was terrible.
    But im gonna chalk that up to DCs editorial interference that plagued a lot of their initial New 52 books. (And is only just starting to relent.)

Overall, im optamistic about this.

Fantastic Member

Yeah I can't fault Jenkins on Batman: Dark Knight. Anyone would have a tough time trying to write another Batman book when you had the main Batman title, Detective Comics, and Batman & Robin. It was the odd duck of the 4. He did do DC Universe Presents early on in the New 52 specifically the 5 part story on Deadman, the first story of that series, which I heard was pretty good.

I thought Spawn The Undead was a very good and unique series of mostly one shot stories of individuals that get involved in some way with Spawn. I feel pretty good about this choice too and can't wait to hear what he's got planned. He's certainly a versatile writer that can do anything though he does tend to mostly gravitate towards darker characters given what he's done which is why my worry is still Jonboy's art that hasn't grabbed me much from what we've seen so far.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Grant is not exclusive at DC Comics. At NYCC I was approached by an Image partner astounded that I had printed the story about Morrison only an hour after he'd been told about it. It was a definite hire, as definite as Brian Wood. But something changed.
    I don't doubt what you wrote rich, You guys at BC get a lot of big stuff right it's just one of those stories that seems improbable, it's hard to imagine Morrison on Spawn in 2015. Do you think the image guy could have been pulling your leg? then again it is todd mcfarlane, he certainly could compete financially with the big two to lure in a top writer like grant. I would have loved to see that happen. hope you can get the story of what happened and why.