Page 27 of 124 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

I didn't mind not having to read about Al crying about Wanda for the Jim run. I hope the new team doesn't go back to that route and finally have Al moving on from her.

So let me understand this, Jim was part of The Legion?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    I didn't mind not having to read about Al crying about Wanda for the Jim run. I hope the new team doesn't go back to that route and finally have Al moving on from her.

So let me understand this, Jim was part of The Legion?
    I'm wondering if having Haunt telling Marc to go find Wanda wasn't built in for the new team to continue that. I hope not. Wanda is so far removed from the story at this point that it doesn't make sense to bring her back even with Al's return which in itself doesn't even make sense. Like why would Al want to be Spawn again? But as mentioned before, we don't know what Jenkins' plans are which I still find odd since we're basically a month away from the one shot to come out.

Anyways, yes Jim is a member of The Legion which was explained in issue 200 and more or less explains why Al turned into Jim way back in issue 3 when Al was trying to get his human body back through his powers, but turned into a white guy instead.

For me, my reaction to 250 is more of a reaction to not only the issue itself (especially considering its a triple-sized issue making it Spawn's biggest issue ever) but also just Jim's story as a whole now that he's gone as far as we know. That is where my disappointment comes from that the 7 years of having Jim amounts to not much of anything - Tremor and Curse were misused, Terry and the CIA were forgotten, the Vatican story amounted to nothing, and many other storylines that just stopped or don't matter. Again Jenkins probably has the same directive as Woods in that he can use as much or as little of the 250 issues of Spawn he wants so its unknown if some characters will come back and/or storylines revisited.

Incredible Member

The two Spawn bundles on Comixology are tempting (all the issues, 70 cents per issue). Might get them.

All-New Member

I know 250 didn't get very good reviews but I disagree with them fairly often. I feel that Comicvine overgrades on a regular basis while CBR undergrades quite a bit (in my opinion). I haven't read Spawn since the issues when Jim Downing awoke from his coma so while 250 was little confusing, it did help set me up a little for 251. It seems like the perfect place to start. New creative team and Al is back so I hope Brian Wood and Jonboy do a good job. Based on the cover, I really like Jonboy's art.
    Last edited by g_money_christmas; 02-08-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Damn, I'm so glad I dropped so early on. I couldn't finish Endgame, I knew that was it for me. Seems like everything amounted to nothing at all. I would have been pissed if i spent the past 7 years paying for all those issues.

Alright Spawn fans, I bought Spawn #1 off the stands when it was first released. I haven't kept up with the character all these years, but I remember being captivated by him back when he first came out.

Now that comiXology has all the issues available digitally, I'm thinking about giving the character another go. I don't want to jump all the way into the big bundles that comiXology is/was running, so I'm really just anticipating a big .99 sale when that comes around. I want to start with #1, and I know this may be a stupid question for an ongoing series, but is there a point/issue at which the story reaches a sort of conclusion? By that I mean is there major stopping point of the overarching plot begun in #1, thereafter a new plot begins?

I'm looking for a decent chunk to read and have a somewhat complete story without just buying everything. An example of what I mean, if I've not done a good job of articulating my question, would be akin to issue #48 of The Walking Dead--the Governor storyline and also the prison storyline conclude, and #49 moves onto something new. Does Spawn have a point like this from #1 up to #XX?

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Alright Spawn fans, I bought Spawn #1 off the stands when it was first released. I haven't kept up with the character all these years, but I remember being captivated by him back when he first came out.

Now that comiXology has all the issues available digitally, I'm thinking about giving the character another go. I don't want to jump all the way into the big bundles that comiXology is/was running, so I'm really just anticipating a big .99 sale when that comes around. I want to start with #1, and I know this may be a stupid question for an ongoing series, but is there a point/issue at which the story reaches a sort of conclusion? By that I mean is there major stopping point of the overarching plot begun in #1, thereafter a new plot begins?

I'm looking for a decent chunk to read and have a somewhat complete story without just buying everything. An example of what I mean, if I've not done a good job of articulating my question, would be akin to issue #48 of The Walking Dead--the Governor storyline and also the prison storyline conclude, and #49 moves onto something new. Does Spawn have a point like this from #1 up to #XX?
    Yup, the end of the Armageddon arc by David Hine is what should have pretty much been the end of the series.

Though, the rest of Hines run following Armageddon is actually pretty good. His whole run is imo, the best of Spawn. But if you want an end point, stop after #163.

And theres a looooot of filler in-between that you could cut out if you wanted.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Yup, the end of the Armageddon arc by David Hine is what should have pretty much been the end of the series.

Though, the rest of Hines run following Armageddon is actually pretty good. His whole run is imo, the best of Spawn. But if you want an end point, stop after #163.

I definitely agree with this. If anything you can go from issue 1 - 100 and then just skip and begin again at 150 and go until 164 and you can stop at that point as that is a perfect end point for the series and should have been.

After that and the rest of Hines run, I'm wishy washy on personally, but their are some decent points there.

^ Just read issues #1-the end of the Armageddon run.

So who was that monster trapped in the vatican prison? Can't remember which issue he appeared in though.

I dont even remember that... From the current run?
    Didnt it just show a bunch of Medieval Spawn stuff?

Incredible Member

Just curious, how long did it take you to read more than 150 issues?

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    I definitely agree with this. If anything you can go from issue 1 - 100 and then just skip and begin again at 150 and go until 164 and you can stop at that point as that is a perfect end point for the series and should have been.

After that and the rest of Hines run, I'm wishy washy on personally, but their are some decent points there.
    Thank you both! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate it.

I dont even remember that... From the current run?
    Didnt it just show a bunch of Medieval Spawn stuff?
    No it was in a panel, looked like the Vatican was holding him captive. Looked like another Spawn or something. ****, can't remember which issue this went down in but I'm sure it was anywhere from #230-240.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Just curious, how long did it take you to read more than 150 issues?
    I read about 2-3 issues a day at that time.

Incredible Member

I read about 2-3 issues a day at that time.
    Gotcha, from the wording I got the impression that you maybe went through them in a day or two. Anyway, I will start reading my 250 issues of Spawn I got on Comixology. Hopefully I'll enjoy them.

Fantastic Member

So who was that monster trapped in the vatican prison? Can't remember which issue he appeared in though.
    That was Medieval Spawn. They have his gear too.

I think much like how Cog was used, Todd was just parading him out just to say he still has them rather than have a logical storyline reason for them appearing kinda like that Marvel comment about female angels that was in one of the issues which referred to Todd losing Angela in Todd's "subtle" manner. I mean Cog just came and went, though that's kind of his thing, without any real motivations and not much came from the Vatican plot at all.