Page 28 of 126 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Well, 250 was over written as hell. As ever :/

spoilers:
    Does it really need to be a triple sized issue when you spend all those extra pages just reiterating the same thing? The bugs man! Bugs are everywhere! And now Bats! Bats and Bugs everywhere!!!

And the numbers thing was stupid as all hell. Retro fitting the 157 to the timing of previous events (so?), the overly dramatic "Its not a V, its a 5! :0"
    Nope, its AL! Just ugh...the bugs decided to separate the A and the crossbar for some reason...
    Nah! its LIVE. No E though. Screw E.

And sooooo much stuff left hanging. Haunt, Terry and the CIA, The Vatican, Cog, Sara, Jim having angel powers. Too much to ask for a little closure Todd? *Sigh*
    end of spoilers

Overall, ive enjoyed this run and the direction, but its been plagued by pacing issues and Todds tendency to overwrite and decompress.

Bring on the new team!

Though as much as I want them to be free to do their own thing, I hope Jenkins will dedicate some time to addressing at least some of the dangling threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Gotcha, from the wording I got the impression that you maybe went through them in a day or two. Anyway, I will start reading my 250 issues of Spawn I got on Comixology. Hopefully I'll enjoy them.
    Ah. Nowadays I can get through 6 issues a day. I'm a Security Guard and I work nights so instead of reading novels I hit up the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    That was Medieval Spawn. They have his gear too.
    wtf.....

I'm thinkibng the stuff that has been left unanswered now with Todd's run will eventually get answered in Todd's next run.

Fantastic Member

So with the May 2015 solicits out we have first details of both 253 and a bit about the new direction.

What if you had the ability to communicate with someone inside their final dream but were powerless to prevent the dream from ending? Al Simmons journeys to a place he vowed he would never go: to his childhood, and to the side of a dying man he never fully knew in order to save the soul of his own estranged father. Meanwhile, Al’s personal tragedy magnifies as the forces of darkness close in on the souls of those he loves the most.
    Al's childhood huh. During Hine's run he worked with that a bit and wonder if that will be incorporated and "forces of darkness close in on the souls of those he loves the most" makes my Wanda alarm go off a bit and I'm automatically worried about that and hopefully doesn't mean that. Cover is okay though a bit repetitious since we already had a Spawn cover with Spawn on a hospital bed for the cover of 247 fairly recently.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Alright Spawn fans, I bought Spawn #1 off the stands when it was first released. I haven't kept up with the character all these years, but I remember being captivated by him back when he first came out.

Now that comiXology has all the issues available digitally, I'm thinking about giving the character another go. I don't want to jump all the way into the big bundles that comiXology is/was running, so I'm really just anticipating a big .99 sale when that comes around. I want to start with #1, and I know this may be a stupid question for an ongoing series, but is there a point/issue at which the story reaches a sort of conclusion? By that I mean is there major stopping point of the overarching plot begun in #1, thereafter a new plot begins?

I'm looking for a decent chunk to read and have a somewhat complete story without just buying everything. An example of what I mean, if I've not done a good job of articulating my question, would be akin to issue #48 of The Walking Dead--the Governor storyline and also the prison storyline conclude, and #49 moves onto something new. Does Spawn have a point like this from #1 up to #XX?
    I think Spawn is a character and universe that requires really high level visual artist so for me 1-100 was the best spawn. There were some down moments, like issue 55-65 but overall Capullo killed it with his art and storytelling. Looking forward to jenkins coming on because he's a great visual writer but jonboy's spawn promo art hasn't made an impression on me. I do like his online portfolio though so I'm on board for awhile.

So with the May 2015 solicits out we have first details of both 253 and a bit about the new direction.

Al's childhood huh. During Hine's run he worked with that a bit and wonder if that will be incorporated and "forces of darkness close in on the souls of those he loves the most" makes my Wanda alarm go off a bit and I'm automatically worried about that and hopefully doesn't mean that. Cover is okay though a bit repetitious since we already had a Spawn cover with Spawn on a hospital bed for the cover of 247 fairly recently.
    LOL, I really won't be surprised if Hine's story of Al's childhood gets ret-conned and ignored. smh

On other Spawn news, Spawn will be in the next Mortal Kombat game.

http://gamerfitnation.com/2015/02/mo...ombat-x-spawn/

Fantastic Member

That's pretty cool! Reminds me when Spawn was in the Xbox version of Soul Calibur 2, but now everyone gets him. Hopefully NetherRealms confirms this soon.

However this sounds like a timed deal so I'm guessing this means that he'll be a timed dlc rather than say Scorpion in Injustice or Freddy Kreuger in Mortal Kombat 9 which filled guest spots too but could be gotten at any time. Hopefully Spawn will be available in the Komplete edition of Mortal Kombat X whenever they get to do that.

Spawn #250 was the first issue I have read since around #105. I was collecting intently up to issue #100, though I maybe got in around #75, and it was the first series I collected in issue form, so it was fun to see what has been happening. The art style was so jarring from the Capullo art I remember, and the variant cover intensified that. A lot of the faces, Sam and Twitches in particular, walked too fine a line between realism and caricature. Up until the staples, it was SO slow going, but then things certainly picked up. I think Todd is a better artist than writer, and a better businessman than an artist, as some of those speech balloons were BRUTAL. Reading the "Under the Hood" excerpts in Watchmen was easier.

I did enjoy it, and I want to see what Jenkins can do, but I still feel that Spawn has no place in Image comics without a major overhaul of the look, backstory, supporting cast, etc. He's so insanely 90's. Savage Dragon almost works, and ends up being the pillarstone Superhero book in the Image catalogue.

I don't think Spawn needs any changes in backstory, etc. All they have to do is find a writer who can make everything work and advance the plot and characterizations without it being both a bore and pointless read.

I haven't read 250 yet.Did Simmons actually appear on panel?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    I haven't read 250 yet.Did Simmons actually appear on panel?
    Yep. The very last page he appeared, but in his new Spawn garb not human form.

You can even see that last page on Todd's Facebook page.

Yep. The very last page he appeared, but in his new Spawn garb not human form.

You can even see that last page on Todd's Facebook page.
    Okay thanks! i really wanted to know if he'll have a burnt face.I guess I'll have to wait and see.

New direction sounds interesting. Let's see how this goes. I hope Haunt isn't forgotten.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Okay thanks! i really wanted to know if he'll have a burnt face.I guess I'll have to wait and see.
    No problem. Yeah right now we aren't sure what he looks like under the mask. The promo images we've seen from Jonboy of Al's new Spawn look have him with a more Venom-like looking face with the mask on so its unknown at this point if he is fused with the symbiote permanently such that he can't revert to a human form or take off the suit. Hopefully the Resurrection one shot coming out in a few weeks and going forward will shed some light on that.

No problem. Yeah right now we aren't sure what he looks like under the mask. The promo images we've seen from Jonboy of Al's new Spawn look have him with a more Venom-like looking face with the mask on so its unknown at this point if he is fused with the symbiote permanently such that he can't revert to a human form or take off the suit. Hopefully the Resurrection one shot coming out in a few weeks and going forward will shed some light on that.
    Thanks for your help.It was very helpful.

Is anyone looking for extra copies of Spawn #200 by chance? I have two I no longer need and would like to send to a good home if possible. One is Cover B, drawn by David Finch, and the other is Cover E, drawn by Marc Silvestri.

Both are bagged and boarded, and in really good shape. Cover B was never even read (I received it because of an online order mix-up), just placed in a new bag after I got it.

If anybody wants one or the other, or both, shoot me a PM. No charge at all. Completely free. I'll pay shipping and mail them in a secure envelope.

First come, first serve.

EDIT: Both copies already spoken for.

Last edited by Michael24; 02-22-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010