Page 29 of 126 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    The two Spawn bundles on Comixology are tempting (all the issues, 70 cents per issue). Might get them.
    Ah. So I'm not the only one.

They just look so pretty. And shiny too.

Fantastic Member

So we now have a first look at three finished pages from the one shot Spawn Resurrection which will be out March 11th. What do you guys think?

Looking at the story here their is a divine dog I suppose which gives me New 52 Phantom Stranger vibes which isn't good. And so the dog is tasking Al to find Wanda and their unborn child which I suppose that would have to be Morana from the end of Hine's run. So we're really bringing Wanda back into this huh? *sigh* As for Morana, she's was left trapped along with Mammon at the end of Hine's run and that was pretty much it so finding her means finding Mammon which hopefully doesn't mean that. We'll see. Still not impressed by the art.

Finally read 250 and I will say I enjoyed it. Felt like a movie. It was cool to have all of that apocalyptic **** go down just for the rebirth of Al Simmons. I do hope the one-shot does answer some questions that are left open. New Al looks bad ass with the sword, I am pumped to see what happens next.

Almost time....

I'm pretty shocked at Spawn Resurrection. Didn't think Paul and Todd would go there.

And I DEFINITELY didn't expect who died in this issue. Not in that way.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Spectacular Member

Sooo... The Dog is God. Dog is God spelled backwards. Not very ingenuous there.

Great issue, but it left me scratching my head. Other than Al/Spawns suicide in issue 185, it almost feels like a new continuity. So many contradictions.

I think I'm just going to pretend this issue takes place after 149 and not 250, and 150 to 250 never happened. Either way, I'm ready for this new direction after being disapointted the last five years.
    Last edited by Rajikaru; 03-11-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Fantastic Member

Huh....I'm not sure what to think about the one shot. First off I think its BS what they did with the character that died that at the same time makes the entire 250, or really the entire Downing era, more of a waste of time. They could have incorporated that whole bug mess into the character's death to at least justify why a third of that issue was about how terrible the bugs were. That would have at the same time made Al look bad because he passed it on to Downing to take over and he has to live with that. Instead they use the Ferguson protest/riots and the Eric Garner protests as the means where the character died during that time. Are you freaking kidding me about how topical that is? Thats the best they can come up with for a long standing character to go out gimme a break.

Its also becoming more clear that Hine's run never happened. If we are to believe the dog is God (which by the way was dumb in the New 52 Phantom Stranger and its dumb here), then Armageddon, by all accounts, should have been covered, but its like it never happened and they changed the sex of the unborn child from female (which it was in Hine's post-Armageddon run) to male for some reason. On top of the fact that apparently Jenkins will be covering Al's childhood and parents which Todd mentioned was never covered previously, but was under Hine's run. So the mission statement for the new run is - Al has been tasked by God to save Wanda and their unborn child from the grips of Hell. And apparently not just any Hell, but one that God can't go to and goes deeper than the 8 circles that may also be responsible for manipulating Al to killing himself.

I just don't know if that is strong enough and the spirit sword is just thrown in for Al "to be more powerful" and the new look just happens without any explanation. Once again, Al's mission is about him yelling for Wanda, but now its in a pro-active approach since he can actually do something about that character. At the same time, Al's been prone to being manipulated very easily so whose to say that A) the dog isn't God, but just some big bad in disguise or B) if it is God what does God really have planned for Al undertaking this mission and even most important of all C) what if Wanda never actually died and Al's just been played like a sucker so he can come out of limbo.

With this being the first full issue of Jonboy's art I think its okay, but I still feel like it would be fine if this were for a side series like continuing the Adventures of Spawn, not the main book. Overall I think the issue works well for new readers to come on board and they'll get the gist very easily to continue on, but for a long time reader like myself I think the new direction is weak and believe the way they handled the death of Wanda, taken at face value, is extremely disappointing.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 03-11-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    Sooo... The Dog is God. Dog is God spelled backwards. Not very ingenuous there.
    The Phantom Stanger style!!!!. Sounds corny when you hear it but turns out alright if done right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Instead they use the Ferguson protest/riots and the Eric Garner protests as the means where the character died during that time. Are you freaking kidding me about how topical that is? Thats the best they can come up with for a long standing character to go out gimme a break.

Its also becoming more clear that Hine's run never happened. If we are to believe the dog is God (which by the way was dumb in the New 52 Phantom Stranger and its dumb here), then Armageddon, by all accounts, should have been covered, but its like it never happened and they changed the sex of the unborn child from female (which it was in Hine's post-Armageddon run) to male for some reason. On top of the fact that apparently Jenkins will be covering Al's childhood and parents which Todd mentioned was never covered previously, but was under Hine's run. So the mission statement for the new run is - Al has been tasked by God to save Wanda and their unborn child from the grips of Hell. And apparently not just any Hell, but one that God can't go to and goes deeper than the 8 circles that may also be responsible for manipulating Al to killing himself.

I just don't know if that is strong enough and the spirit sword is just thrown in for Al "to be more powerful" and the new look just happens without any explanation. Once again, Al's mission is about him yelling for Wanda, but now its in a pro-active approach since he can actually do something about that character. At the same time, Al's been prone to being manipulated very easily so whose to say that A) the dog isn't God, but just some big bad in disguise or B) if it is God what does God really have planned for Al undertaking this mission and even most important of all C) what if Wanda never actually died and Al's just been played like a sucker so he can come out of limbo.

With this being the first full issue of Jonboy's art I think its okay, but I still feel like it would be fine if this were for a side series like continuing the Adventures of Spawn, not the main book. Overall I think the issue works well for new readers to come on board and they'll get the gist very easily to continue on, but for a long time reader like myself I think the new direction is weak and believe the way they handled the death of Wanda, taken at face value, is extremely disappointing.
    Yeah thats what I thought. It was disappointing. Especially since a couple of those (The Brown kid especially) were not good people and not innocent.

Spawn is supposed to be about God/religion/unseen forces, not social commentary. I was also hoping he got over "WANDA!!" and found a new love interest. It was pretty refreshing when he had moderate interest in that girl with the red hair, but now its back to the same old. And the whole dead baby issue is over done, it shouldve been left at the fact he punched her and made a horrible mistake. Its much more interesting to see a character with genuine mistakes rather than something like this.

Wish it couldve been better.

Spectacular Member

I don't mind the protest angle. From the artwork some of the protesters had Violator face paint. If the route going through that is that demonic forces were present to inflame the situation, then why not?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    I don't mind the protest angle. From the artwork some of the protesters had Violator face paint. If the route going through that is that demonic forces were present to inflame the situation, then why not?
    I noticed that one of the protestors, specifically the one that threw the Molotov into Wanda's car, had Clown's face paint but if we're to assume that Hell had a hand in not only manipulating Al to kill himself to remove him from the game, but also a hand in the protests that lead to Wanda's death cause they finally can, why not just have someone recognizable straight up kill Wanda either old or new in the commotion and not a death by Clown proxy unless that too was circumstantial? The character's been around so long and is an important part of Al's story that she deserved better than just a death by circumstance. Its like if Alfred or Lois Lane were taken out the same way not to say that Wanda is on that level overall but she serves as being THE rock for Al much like those characters do for their respective heroes. It puts a face on the threat early on and of course we all know the conspiracy will go deeper from that point. Here we're being given a faceless villain, "they" or the broad concept of Hell, to latch on to and their is not much to that.

I just think if they were going to kill a character as important to the main character since day 1 that it would be treated better than what we got here where it basically seems like they saw what was hot on the news and used that without much thought and with a wave say, "Yeah Hell was responsible for that."
    Last edited by HellsRider; 03-12-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Spectacular Member

Meh. If Jenkins is not going to bother to read past issues and ignore previous established facts I think that Wanda's death is a small thing at this point. And it's Spawns world; death is not as permament as Todd wants us to believe (aside in the case of Angela). It's different, I'll give them that and despite the continuity condradictions, I am definatly wanting to see where this story goes now.

One plus of this issue; Al's got his face back. I was really dreading the return of meathead face Spawn.

Spoilers guys...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Spoilers guys...
    Whoops sorry about that.

Rajikaru - Fair point on Jenkins using or not using past continuity. Its something that we've known for some time even with Wood when he was going to the writer. I do wonder if Al having his face back is a Limbo thing only or if he'll be able to keep it on Earth. Guess we'll see. Additionally, if we're going to go deeper to Hell I hope some time is spent exploring that and fleshing that out which can be pretty interesting.

I haven't read Spawn in quite some time.I thought this issue was great!It made it hard for me to root for him when I found out he punched Wanda while pregnant.The less I hear about that the better.Can't wait for the next issue!!