Page 30 of 126 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

No matter what they try to do I will never forget the Armageddon arc.

I loved the issue and thank God he wasn't burnt.

Spectacular Member

I think that Resurrection is the perfect jumping back on point for me to get back in to Spawn but where is the last jumping on point before this one?

Though it was a solid setup. But kinda pissed that not only are they ignoring what Hine did, but are now activly contradicting it...

And did...did they get rid of the three news readers!?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I think that Resurrection is the perfect jumping back on point for me to get back in to Spawn but where is the last jumping on point before this one?
    #220 iirc
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 03-14-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Spectacular Member

Thanks. I will grab them and start again from there.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    I really wish McFarlane would launch a new series of Spawn figures.

Which top 5 figures would you guys like to see finally made?
    I have actually tried contacting McFarlane to do exactly this. I have some ideas that would make the line cost efficient but neither he, nor McFarlane Toys seem to be interested.

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed the Resurrection issue. I have been absent from Spawn for a long time and have tried multiple times to get back in to it but I couldn't sustain it. Hopefully getting in on the "ground floor" as it seems might keep me interested.

I just bought all the issues from #220-#250 as suggested so I will see how it goes.

BANNED

is resurrection a ok book for people who have never really read spawn in there life? (i have only read issue 200, and seen the movie)

I'm sick of this crap. I stopped reading Spawn shortly after Al killed himself. I think the exact moment was when Jim Downing walked into a Starbucks and ordered a "skinny latte." Spawn doesn't drink lattes, and even if he did he did, He'd drink it with heavy fuckin whole milk. If your wondering why Paul Jenkins seems to have disregarded things established during Hines run, the answer is right here in this interview with him... http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...riter-of-spawn . He's never read it! I think all of us here know more about Spawn than Paul Jenkins. Personally I think it was all downhill after armageddon. all the dumb connections they tried to make. Like Wanda's grandpa being a hellspawn... gimme a break. But regardless its kinda hard to have faith in Jenkins considering he probably doesn't even know Spawn nearly as well as well as I do. Now I'd like to move on to an even bigger issue. What the **** is up with Spawn's new look. Those teeth and that shitty little tongue are really pissing me off. So they decided to revamp the character by ripping off a million other things? Venom's teeth and tongue, but way less cool. A big lame sword that he pulls out of a rock like excalibur. Even the sword looks like ****. And now he has Predator's wrist blades?? Way to be original.
    but all that aside, Al Simmons is back so I guess I'm sticking with it for a wile whether I like it or not. Jonboy Meyer's art is fine for the most part. Who knows. maybe the new team will settle in and and come up with some badass stuff... But the teeth that stupid little tongue have got to go.
    Last edited by spaghettidracula; 03-14-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Spectacular Member

Can someone answer a few Questions?

What is this about punching a pregnant Wanda in the stomach?
    Who killed Al Simmons? It was Chapel and I remember something about Jessica Priest but Resurrection made it seem like Terry did it.
    Why are people happy to see Al without the burnt face now?
    Does Spawn have a rogues gallery?
    Why is Man of Miracles disliked?
    Why won't Todd revisit a Spawn toy line?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Can someone answer a few Questions?

What is this about punching a pregnant Wanda in the stomach?
    Who killed Al Simmons? It was Chapel and I remember something about Jessica Priest but Resurrection made it seem like Terry did it.
    Why are people happy to see Al without the burnt face now?
    Does Spawn have a rogues gallery?
    Why is Man of Miracles disliked?
    Why won't Todd revisit a Spawn toy line?
    1. Al punched Wanda to cause her to miscarrage as he didnt feel it was the right time for them to have a kid or something iirc. He later blocked out the memory of it out of shame. Then when he found out he refused his salvation as he felt he deserved to be damned as a hellspawn.

2. Originally it was Chapel, then when Rob Liefeld left Image Todd couldnt use his characters so it was retconned to be Jessica Priest. Now Liefeld is back on friendly terms it would appear to be Chapel again. In the most recent issues of Youngblood Chapel made reference to killing Al so i guess as far as Liefeld is concerned it was always Chapel.

3. IDK. Some people are wierd like that.

4. Kinda of. Hes associated with a lot of rogues but most have only been encountered 1-3 times. Clown, Malebolgia, Jason Wynn, Cy-gor, The Curse, The Redeemer, Tiffany, Mammon, Tremor, The Freak, Billy Kincaid etc...

5. Mostly cos he acted as a deus ex machina kind of thing. I was alright with him/her personally. It was nice to know there was an omnipotent power that wasnt a complete dick.

6. Sales really. Spawn isnt as huge as he once was and its hard to convince retailers to give up shelf space they could be filling with Bratz dolls and whatever.

I can speak for some black readers who like Al not having a burnt face as he's a huge black comic book character yet instead of seeing a strong black man under the mask, we're greeted with burnt hambuger face.

All-New Member

I'm can imagine some people will be disappointed with Jenkins sure to disregard some things due to not having knowledge of them. All I know is, that CBR interview got me to buy my first Spawn book in recent memory, maybe ever. I might have bought some as a youngster when the movie came out, but I think I just read the ones my cousin had. I almost bought the big collection trades but when I learned it had issues omitted (like Gaiman's) I decided to hold off, maybe get the actual issue but I haven't got around to it yet. I haven't read any of Jenkins work since his 2nd Sentry series. His name alone, plus a convenient one-shot to test the waters sold me on this issue. Maybe Image has a new customer, (haven't read the issue yet but I have it right here!).
    Last edited by OcStat; 03-15-2015 at 11:33 AM.

/\ the HCs dont omit any issues btw.

Also, another nitpick:

spoilers:
    So... Als suicide was intended to take him off the table and throw Heaven/Hell into a state of confusion as reiterated by McFarlane time and time again. But PSYCHE! Hell planned it all along! Okay, fine. But to what end?
    To get a clear shot at killing Wanda apparantly.
    Um...why exactly? To mess with Al? Guys dead. Driven to suicide no less. WTF does it matter?
    end of spoilers

And then just to vent:

spoilers:

- so i guess the whole Morana thing never happened since Als kid was never born and apparantly switched sex. I know Jenkins didnt read past issues but this is quite an oversight on Todds part aint it?
    - Gods back and is a nice little dog. M'kay. No word on addressing the last time we saw him as a screamy bratty ball of rage locked in a battle with Satan on a different planet. And as being Wandas kid...
    - No mention of Jim or the symbiote whatsoever. Speaking of which:
    - Al suddenly has the costume again with no explanation. Is it still K-7? Cos it seemed awfully quit...
    - Back to Chapel eh?
    end of spoilers

Now, granted this was the first issue of the run so some of this may be addressed. But given Todds record of disliking the best era of the book and his own penchant of setting up plot points that go absolutly nowhere; the continuity freak in me is going mad
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 03-15-2015 at 12:09 PM.

All-New Member

Thanks for info, and for the courtesy of spoiler tags. Just read the book and I thought it was a pretty good set up. I don't know the first thing about what's being switched around continuity wise and maybe as the run continues some those questions posed so far here by longtime readers will be answered. I find it hard to stick to a new title on just the first issue alone since nowadays we don't get the whole story till issue 6 or whatever. I like to at least see how the first arc plays out, but this one issue already has me wanting to go get 250 now, and 251 when it comes out, let alone old stories referenced that perked my interest.

The hardcovers you mentioned are those new Spawn Origin Collections? Saw the ad on the back of the Resurrection issue, they look pretty slick.
    Last edited by OcStat; 03-15-2015 at 03:41 PM.