Page 33 of 126 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    What are your thoughts on Haunt?
    I loved the first half. It was awesome. But then the new team took over and jumped Haunt into the future and it kinda just went meh. If you are planning to read it, just read the first half and then continue with Haunt's appearances in Spawn.

McFarlane better get his ass in gear with new figures and statues. I wouldn't mind a new Spawn w/Sword statue or figure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    So I wanna read Spawn. Start at the beginning or is there a good jumping on point?
    This new stuff isnt really good.

Spawn 1-185 is really good, philosophical, and has a very progressive tone. Everything feels right. Al Simmons is the main character.

This new stuff is political speak, which is way off Spawn and not what the book is about. Especially when theyre using recent people like Michael Brown (Who robbed a store before he got in trouble, and wasnt a good person). I dont read Spawn for any of that. And its just treading really old tired WANDA issues, and sort of making Al's biggest mistake look like no big deal. Theres nothing new and the essence is lost, and also Spawn has his tongue sticking out now (hes venom all of sudden I guess).

The art of the old issues is also much better than this new team. Todd, Capullo, Medina, all had fantastic art. 185 is new art which isnt as good as the old but still fits the tone of the book, and the new guy is different (and less likable). But even that is better than this new team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    What are your thoughts on Haunt?
    Haunt is pretty cool if you read it for what it is.

The concept is pretty cool, the art is good. Lots of violence and action. But dont expect anything deep.

Eh. I wouldnt call Spawn philosophical in pretty much any way. It deals with some religious concepts in a kind of base way but its never really explored any greater meanings or consequences to those themes.

Conversely, id say it has tackled some more political themes in the past such as race issues, poverty and crime, the military industrial complex etc. Though again, its mostly concerned with style over substances. Which is fine, but lets not kind ourselves into thinking Spawn has ever been close to a deep or meaningful work.

BANNED

Concepts of heaven and hell, right and wrong, god and everything in between, thats been pretty much it.

I dont recall many political concept being explored in the book. Military has always been a part of it but thats always been how the goons get around. And, like in the real world, its the next big superpower. No any race issues, but it has treated race as if its no big deal, and its never played any issue in story which is why I think it was its a universal appeal.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Concepts of heaven and hell, right and wrong, god and everything in between, thats been pretty much it.

I dont recall many political concept being explored in the book. Military has always been a part of it but thats always been how the goons get around. And, like in the real world, its the next big superpower. No any race issues, but it has treated race as if its no big deal, and its never played any issue in story which is why I think it was its a universal appeal.
    I would argue that race does play a part in a few times in Al's life notably his childhood and his time in the CIA. The former was touched on by Hine post-Armageddon where he explored Al and his brothers and being influenced by Malefick aka Mammon. It was mostly on the surface, but it was still there. The latter was touched on in issue 30 where Al fought the Ku Klux Klan. Not only that, but revealed in the issue was that he did face discrimination within the CIA I believe. Sure it wasn't further build on, but it is a part of his character and in some ways is a part of why he stands up for those that are different and can't defend themselves like the homeless.

I hope we also get a Haunt figure in the new Spawn line. Todd did it with The Creech, I see no reason why he couldn't do up a Haunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    I would argue that race does play a part in a few times in Al's life notably his childhood and his time in the CIA. The former was touched on by Hine post-Armageddon where he explored Al and his brothers and being influenced by Malefick aka Mammon. It was mostly on the surface, but it was still there. The latter was touched on in issue 30 where Al fought the Ku Klux Klan. Not only that, but revealed in the issue was that he did face discrimination within the CIA I believe. Sure it wasn't further build on, but it is a part of his character and in some ways is a part of why he stands up for those that are different and can't defend themselves like the homeless.
    Well its been touched upon but its never been the focus of the book is what I'm saying. Im probably not being as articulate as I can be.

This new angle its such a big deal and the driving force. Without even the proper facts to back it up. The stuff with Wanda also just as hamfisted.

Spectacular Member

I have read from #220-#250 to catch up on the latest for Spawn. In the beginning I was not a fan of Szymon's art but it really grows on you towards the end. Having said that, I am looking forward to the more Superhero-y Spawn with Jenkins and Jonboy.

I also read the first couple of Haunt issues and I rather enjoyed it. I am going to get the rest and see how it goes. I hope there are more plans for Haunt in future issues of Spawn.

I wonder if Clown will be in this new run.

Fantastic Member

I think we will. I mean Jonboy on his twitter mentioned that guy that had Clown's facial markings in the one shot as Clown. So I guess Clown did kill her and it wasn't by proxy.

https://twitter.com/jonboy007007/sta...89877652475904

Still confused as to why Hell had a sudden interest in killing her after manipulating Al to suicide.

Spectacular Member

When I saw that panel I thought it was more like the Batman vigilantes from DKR. I expected to see a "Clown Gang".

I hope that Clown is still going to look like Clown though.

Speaking of Clown, does anyone know if the Violator series will be released in digital? I still love that series and when I think of Clown I still see him with that head on his arm.

Weird thing: The tvtropes page has a growing the beard moment for Spawn where it became a dark horror comic.

Where's that happen?

Anyone heard/read any info on when the 5th Deluxe Hardcover will get a release (if at all)?

Last couple have had end of year releases, with Volume 4 being December 2013, but not a peep about volume 5, and we're already at the end of the first quarter of 2015.

Spawns collected editions have had a habit of getting part of the way, then cancelled and rebooted in a new fashion. I truly hope this isn't the case with the deluxe editions. They're fantastic.

Last thing I heard was in a letters page when someone asked about the 10th Hardcover. Todd said something to the effect of the line is on hiatus whilst they consider how to proceed with it.
    Im guessing the same is true for the Deluxe Omni Hardcovers.

...and im guessing theyll reformat at some point.