Page 40 of 126 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

I think im gonna bow out of Spawn for a bit. Arts nice but i just aint liking the direction its taking.

Fantastic Member

The latest issue was an improvement over the previous two, but its hurt by Spawn himself. I also don't recall Al being such a angsty whiny jackass that really made me not like him at all in this issue with him crying over his daddy issues repeatedly throughout. It shows a lack of maturity that the character at this point should have and its sad to see the character not grow much at all. On paper the issue has a nice premise, but it requires a more subtle approach ala Spawn The Undead which funny enough Jenkins wrote that so I know he is capable of it.

Additionally we meet Belial, our villain, for the first time and he doesn't strike me as intimidating at all. If anything him running like the wind the second he sees Spawn's new sword hurts him a lot especially if we are to believe he lords over a Hell that is deeper than the 8 circles. The guy seems like someone Al can beat in an afternoon. Art was nice though as Jonboy gets to draw demons, reapers, and the like so if anything keep him doing that and I'm even getting used to Spawn's new look though still find the teeth out of place.

An okay issue that still shows the team has room to grow and hope to see that.

I can't wait to finally see a true Spawn vs. Violator fight.

Fantastic Member

October 2015 solicits are out and we have details on issue 258.

Spawn returns to the one place he never thought he would see again...HELL.

Maybe a showdown with Malebolgia?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Maybe a showdown with Malebolgia?
    Wouldn't make sense since Belial is our villain now unless this is beginning an entire arc in Hell then maybe? I would imagine at this point Violator will come into the picture given how he's been in the background a bit.

I meant Belial, but for some reason was thinking Malebolgia in my mind lol.

Diggin' the cover.

I meant Belial, but for some reason was thinking Malebolgia in my mind lol.

Diggin' the cover.
    Belial is the Demon of Clown right ? Or Is Clown still Violator?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolfboy View Post
    Belial is the Demon of Clown right ? Or Is Clown still Violator?
    Clown is still Violator. Belial is a brand new villain introduced that as far as we know rules a level of Hell deeper than the 8 circles.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Clown is still Violator. Belial is a brand new villain introduced that as far as we know rules a level of Hell deeper than the 8 circles.
    Deeper then the 8th Level of Hell. Tsk Tsk He was an everyday demon dude in a suit , Looks like he runs a burger joint called " Hell's Bells"

DOes this make Belial a higher villain over Malebolgia or Mammon?

Fantastic Member

DOes this make Belial a higher villain over Malebolgia or Mammon?
    Higher than Malebolgia I would assume though not sure about Mammon. Mammon and Belial share similarities with both being former Heaven warriors that were cast down so I think they are about the same.

Edit: I share the same sentiment, AstroWolfboy.

****, I need to buy #242-253 + Resurrection #1 + Blood Feud #1-4 + Angela #1-4 + The Clown mini-series.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Higher than Malebolgia I would assume though not sure about Mammon. Mammon and Belial share similarities with both being former Heaven warriors that were cast down so I think they are about the same.

Edit: I share the same sentiment, AstroWolfboy.
    Thats because I borrowed from your review ,but If I wrote that issue, I would of had Al's father story line be like 2 pages. It felt more like a Issue about Al's Father then Spawn. Not saying all issues need to be Spawn dominated but, his dad isn't like event a minor character, if we had a issue about the guardian guy thats Al's earth guide , I'd be interested , but not some long winded family drama.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolfboy View Post
    Thats because I borrowed from your review ,but If I wrote that issue, I would of had Al's father story line be like 2 pages. It felt more like a Issue about Al's Father then Spawn. Not saying all issues need to be Spawn dominated but, his dad isn't like event a minor character, if we had a issue about the guardian guy thats Al's earth guide , I'd be interested , but not some long winded family drama.
    Lol, thanks. You know I liked how in Hine's run when he did introduce Al's father and mother they harbored a secret regarding how Mammon was manipulating both the Simmons and Blake family lines to make the being he needed and his father wanted to tell Al but couldn't because he was away so often due to work trips (probably organized by Mammon so he can continue to manipulate Al and his brothers). Here we are just told that Belial wants Al's father as a bargaining chip against Al but given no reason to why Al's father specifically since A) Al's mom is alive and B) Belial already has Wanda and Wanda's/Al's kid trapped in Hell. If Al's dad had some secret that Belial was aware of that would be useful against Al then I can buy Belial's interest.

Like I said, if it was handled in a more subtle manner, ala Spawn the Undead, that explored their relationship and Al's childhood in this new continuity I think the issue would have been a success. As is, the issue is hurt by Al's immaturity a lot, a villain that doesn't seem like much of a threat at all (it really feels like Mammon all over again), and a story that was tough to latch on to despite the interesting premise. I've been dying to know more about Mike and was disappointed that the issue after he was introduced didn't cover him more.

Edit: ForeverKnight - For issues 250-253 and the Resurrection one shot use Midtown Comics. They have them all in stock.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/s...pl=16@@q=spawn

242-246 will be tricky, but you can check Amazon as I see some folks have them. As for the older stuff that's really tricky at this point, believe me I've been trying to find one of the Spawn Fan issues forever. The trade, Angela's Hunt, covers Angela 1-4 and Amazon has them as well as the singles of the Violator mini though you'll also need the Violator/Badrock mini too if you don't have that. The Glory/Angela series was an interesting one too though tough to originally get when they came out since it stretched to multiple books like Youngblood and Maximage.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 07-21-2015 at 12:19 PM.