Page 41 of 126 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Thanks!!!!!

I didn't really feel the last two issues.
    Last edited by Daredevil is Legend; 07-23-2015 at 04:38 PM.

So it would seem that Paul Jenkins is off the book and Todd is back as writer, lol.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/...pawn-vs-satan/

Also, more ignoring of Hines run. *sigh.

Incredible Member

Is McFarlane hard to work with or sth? Jenkins off the book after only 8 issues.

Another writer change back to McFarlane? Why does he even bother asking others to write Spawn?

The art has been fantastic but I think Jenkins needed more time.
    Current Pulls for DC/Vertigo: Batman, Justice League
    Image: Manifest Destiny, East of West, Low, The Wicked & The Divine, Injection, Tokyo Ghost
    Valiant: Harbinger/Imperium
    Other: Letter 44, Lady Mechanika, Tarot

Fantastic Member

Ummm okay so what the hell happened? We were told that Jenkins had a 2 year plan which Todd liked and out of the blue he's gone now after a little over half a year's worth of issues? Fishy business to me as it seems like he just wants to wrap up Jenkins' storyline and then hop on to this new thing with a public Spawn. I mean what is the point of Belial then if its just leading to Spawn vs Satan.

We've never met Satan before? Yeah you keep telling yourself that Todd. Also everyone knowing that Spawn exists happened really early on in the Spawn series with The Hunt arc that by the end the FBI, police, CIA, and even the news reporters saw Spawn and his message. Its just that Todd never bothered to follow that angle up. After how the last 7 years of the Downing era panned out I'm really not looking forward to Todd taking over again and wished he just does Savior while a new voice does whatever with Spawn.

I liked where Jenkins was heading even though I didn't dig the last two issues.

This is lame.....

So what issues does this guy's run end at and when can I get "excited" for Todd's long awaited return?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    So what issues does this guy's run end at and when can I get "excited" for Todd's long awaited return?
    If the solicits are to be believed, Jenkins finishes with September's issue and then Todd takes over starting in October. However given that this month's issue had its script written by both Todd and Jenkins, I would say Todd is looking to take over sooner slowly. Thoughts on the new ish:

For a solicit that sounded pretty fun, the issue is really boring. This time around Spawn meets a female demon who plays a game with Al by tasking him to make a decision the night of the Titanic sinking involving a father and his son and whether he should save them or not. An angel, Gabriel, appears seemingly to help them but Spawn decides to not give in to the game and lets them die because of a butterfly effect. The issue has no tension worse so towards the end where the demoness says Satan knew Al wouldn't fall for the game so what the hell was the point of it all. Couple that with just the fact that all of these one shot issues are not amounting to much. We're not any closer to saving Wanda and the unborn child, Mike has not been seen in a few issues, Satan is now the one that we're building on for Al to fight not Belial and Al wants to take down both Satan and God something he already did. Also why in the world did this have 4 colorists on it? For the most part everyone keeps the same style except for the scenes with just the female demon and Al where the female demon looks off in a few pages compared to others. Art didn't really stand out much for me even with the angel. Overall, I get a sense that Todd has his hand again in this and am not looking forward to the series switching back to Todd in writing duties.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    So it would seem that Paul Jenkins is off the book and Todd is back as writer, lol.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/...pawn-vs-satan/

Also, more ignoring of Hines run. *sigh.
    Seriously...WTF is wrrrrrooooong with Todd?????!!!!!?!?!?!?!!!

The newest issue wasn't nothing to brag about wither.Sighhhhh

Spectacular Member

Hmm. If it's that easy for time to be manipulated like in this issue, that gives Todd an out to explain away all the inconsistacies with Hine's run fitting in as well as the last few issues contradicting. Maybe someone else manipulated time already.

I enjoyed the new issue. Great art, awesome stuff with the Titanic as well. I am really not looking forward to Todd returning

Fantastic Member

So been a while but the new ish is out. First just want to mention that Todd has now taken over the series again as this issue is completely by him so I imagine that will be the case going forward. Jenkin' run in the end really doesn't amount to much with just 5 issues 2 of which he co-wrote with Todd. Really wonder what happened.

Anyways on to the ish. It picks up right where the last issue left off as the demoness makes an offer to Al - give up the symbiote and vow to never go to Hell again and he will have Wanda back along with being human again. Al refuses, beats her up a bit, and tells her to tell Satan that he will come after Satan and kill him. We switch to Wanda's funeral where Terry, the twins, and Cyan are there. Al is there too in the shadows and Cyan notices him. Al then talks to Terry at his home to discuss the night of Wanda's death and where she was going. Terry vents blaming Wanda's death on Al, but Al's kinda mature about it letting him do just that and saying he'll get revenge for her. His investigation begins at a station she was heading to do an interview. Issue ends with the demoness talking to Satan and tells him that Al turned down the offer and he vows to kill him and we see Satan's face for the first time since the Armageddon arc and he just looks like a giant naked hellspawn without the symbiote.

Interesting issue. I think for me the best part was the conversation between Terry/Al which showed a level of maturity on Al's part which contradicts Al's attitude a few issues ago when he was with his father. Satan doesn't look impressive and the offer wasn't something Al was ever going to take or is the unborn child a big piece in all of this given how he wasn't mentioned in the deal? Hard to say. So while we had a bit of fighting in the beginning, that portion and the end just weren't good while the middle was the best part. We also get a small Jim Downing mention, but nothing meaty on that. Art was okay but nothing stood out. Next issue is pegged as Al facing his greatest foe which I assume is the return of the Violator. I think at this point I'll take a break and come back at the end of the year and see how things have progressed.