Page 46 of 126 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Hine's Run Matters.jpg David Hine's run matters.

Quote Originally Posted by spaghettidracula View Post
    Hine's Run Matters.jpg David Hine's run matters.
    Ha! This is awesome. I hope this spreads!

Hine's run was the shit! But I am really enjoying this current run too!

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

I don't think I've ever read anything like #258. 98% action, 2% dialogue. Odd, but definitely fresh and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I make up for the last 50 issues in my first book.
    Well, I understand it now.

Btw, was it a one time only with Erik drawing or is he a new regular?
    Last edited by Paulie Blade; 12-14-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Mesmer View Post
    Btw, was it a one time only with Erik drawing or is he a new regular?
    I'm the new regular.

Love Larsen's art.

For those interested in where Wood/Jenkins/Jonboy wanted to take Spawn, check out this podcast - http://dangerpod.podbean.com//e/unde...jonboy-meyers/.

The podcast runs almost 2 hours but Spawn talk is sprinkled throughout.
    Current Pulls for DC/Vertigo: Batman, Justice League
    Image: Manifest Destiny, East of West, Low, The Wicked & The Divine, Injection, Tokyo Ghost
    Valiant: Harbinger/Imperium
    Other: Letter 44, Lady Mechanika, Tarot

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBennettDyson618 View Post
    I went back and read Resurrection through Jenkin's "run" and man this book can be bad at maintaining continuity. Todd has always had this thing about randomly deciding certain things don't count while others do and not letting letting the audience know which is which. Like, do Heaven and Hell still take every other soul? How does that make sense with Spawn's costume being made of everyone he killed? Has that already been retconned with the apparent replacing of Belial with Satan? It seemed like Jenkins planned on the skinny thug with Clown make up to actually be Clown but now that seems to have been changed with Clown still suffering effects from the Downing days.

I think my best bet going forward is to just assume we are back in 90's Spawn continuity and go from there. I love Spawn but I do wish Todd was better at maintaining a cohesive narrative.
    For my sanity, the continuity I acknowledge is issues 1-149 to 185 to current. As much as I loved Hines entire run, it's best to ignore those issues for a thing to make a sliver of sense.

My thing is, since Todd is trying to erase that story, will they be included in trade, or will it be ignored entirely? I'd like some confirmation on that myself at one point...

New issue this wednesday! I can't wait!

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyAZ View Post
    For those interested in where Wood/Jenkins/Jonboy wanted to take Spawn, check out this podcast - http://dangerpod.podbean.com//e/unde...jonboy-meyers/.

The podcast runs almost 2 hours but Spawn talk is sprinkled throughout.
    Can anyone who heard this post some summary? Unfortunately I'm not able to play it and I'm very curious about what was scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Mesmer View Post
    Can anyone who heard this post some summary? Unfortunately I'm not able to play it and I'm very curious about what was scrapped.
    In a nutshell (all according to JonBoy Meyers), Wood wanted to go down a traditional route of Spawn leading an army of homeless against gangs. Jenkins and JonBoy were plotting to keep Wanda dead, Spawn closes the portals between Heaven and Hell, there are other Spawns in the world and Al Simmons hunts them in a Highlander-style story.

An interesting note was that JonBoy created two Spawn:Resurrections -one for Brian Wood and the other for Jenkins.
    Current Pulls for DC/Vertigo: Batman, Justice League
    Image: Manifest Destiny, East of West, Low, The Wicked & The Divine, Injection, Tokyo Ghost
    Valiant: Harbinger/Imperium
    Other: Letter 44, Lady Mechanika, Tarot

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    For my sanity, the continuity I acknowledge is issues 1-149 to 185 to current. As much as I loved Hines entire run, it's best to ignore those issues for a thing to make a sliver of sense.

My thing is, since Todd is trying to erase that story, will they be included in trade, or will it be ignored entirely? I'd like some confirmation on that myself at one point...
    I don't ever see Hine's run getting collected. Todd has made it obvious he hated the run (despite fans feeling it was the best it's been in years) and the trade releases just keep on rebooting. At this point, what I'd do is bind my issues or maybe even find back issues of the run and bind those into a personal trade.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyAZ View Post
    In a nutshell (all according to JonBoy Meyers), Wood wanted to go down a traditional route of Spawn leading an army of homeless against gangs. Jenkins and JonBoy were plotting to keep Wanda dead, Spawn closes the portals between Heaven and Hell, there are other Spawns in the world and Al Simmons hunts them in a Highlander-style story.

An interesting note was that JonBoy created two Spawn:Resurrections -one for Brian Wood and the other for Jenkins.
    That would have been awesome.

Spectacular Member

Well, I'm one of glad Woods got the boot if that is the route he wants to go. Spawns world has evolved beyond homeless gang wars.

Spectacular Member

Makes you wonder if he was actually aware of what Hine was doing when he was writing. Did he just let Hine do whatever without overseeing the direction and when he finally did Todd was like "oh crap! I should have been paying attention!"

I wouldn't have mind an in-story reset/reboot, as long as it made sense. To ignore well over 20 issues of story just screams wrong. Ton of ways the "genie could have been put back in the bottle" without ignoring said issues.