Page 52 of 126 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Another solid issue. There is a breath of new life in SPAWN right now. Love seeing new heroes and villains. Keep up the good work!

Savage Dragon/Spawn team up next month!

I'm loving Spawn every month. And I wonder if this new Angela will be a character of note or just a recurring bit role. She had, what, two panels this last issue?
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

Does anybody else feel that this new concept of Spawn might be a result of Todd's nostalgia regarding his superhero/Marvel years? It's just a theory, but it's something that popped up in my mind... The new Spawn issues strike me as very Spider-man-ish (not a bad thing, it's a really fun read).

Spawn Kills Everybody... what a complete waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    I'm loving Spawn every month. And I wonder if this new Angela will be a character of note or just a recurring bit role. She had, what, two panels this last issue?
    I'm curious to know the answer to that myself. I have no idea what the fate will be for any of the characters I added to the book. At this point--my part in its creation is over.

Incredible Member

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/...6-and-no-more/

Seems like McFarlane torpedoed yet another collaboration.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I wonder if we'll ever get an Origins Deluxe volume 5?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

How was Todd's run on Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I'm curious to know the answer to that myself. I have no idea what the fate will be for any of the characters I added to the book. At this point--my part in its creation is over.
    I enjoy that you reuse minor characters like cops, neighbours, waitresses and the like. Did a lot to make Savage Dragon's Chicago feel like a real city! Alas, Spawn hasn't ever quite been the same and with the death of Wanda I think the old supporting cast is just gone.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

I wonder if we'll even see any of the supporting cast from the Jim Downing error again. Or Downing himself for that matter.
    I mean i prefer Al as much asthe next guy but the way everything was wrapped before rebirth was really unsatisfactory imo.
    But then Todds never picked upany of the lingering stuff from Hines run either so...

And dont get me started on Haunt.

*sigh. Its hard being a Spawn fan.

Spectacular Member

It's been hard being a Spawn fan since the beginning of the Jim Downing era.... But I love me some Spawn. I'm committed to the end.

A lot of the unresolved plot issues from the 90's early 00's I could get over.... But man. The past few years have been such a train wreak that a reboot would only help. Not just continuity, but maybe reader interest, sales, yadda, yadda, so on and so on. But... I'm committed to the end.

Actually, I wouldn't mind another sister book. Maybe a continuation of the HBO animated series in comic form.

I think now would be the perfect time to bring back Hunt. Have him join Spawn in this new heroic-age for the character. Haunt (Todd era) was awesome as hell.

Amazing Member

I hate to be negative, I'm a devoted Larsen reader, but this to me was a wasted opportunity, the art was incredible, people were excited about it, it was selling better, but you can read that the flow was "off"
    I dont know if its because I've followed Larsen for so long but when i was reading the books, I caught myself saying "No way he had anything to do with this part"
    The dialogue was clunky, when on the cover you had Al say "don't die", i started getting worried...I mean there was unnecessary dialogue all over the place..
    Too bad, when they announced the partnership i thought Larsen would have full reign, and be able to "go with it"

Quote Originally Posted by HAVOK78 View Post
    I hate to be negative, I'm a devoted Larsen reader, but this to me was a wasted opportunity, the art was incredible, people were excited about it, it was selling better, but you can read that the flow was "off"
    I dont know if its because I've followed Larsen for so long but when i was reading the books, I caught myself saying "No way he had anything to do with this part"
    The dialogue was clunky, when on the cover you had Al say "don't die", i started getting worried...I mean there was unnecessary dialogue all over the place..
    Too bad, when they announced the partnership i thought Larsen would have full reign, and be able to "go with it"
    A collaboration is a different animal than a solo effort. There are pluses and minuses to any collaborative effort. To those who love Todd's attention to detail--there was plenty of that. To those wanting a book like one I'd do on my own--Spawn was never going to be that. To those that want what I do--there's a place where you can get that. For those who'd like to see what the two of us would create together--Spawn was that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    A collaboration is a different animal than a solo effort. There are pluses and minuses to any collaborative effort. To those who love Todd's attention to detail--there was plenty of that. To those wanting a book like one I'd do on my own--Spawn was never going to be that. To those that want what I do--there's a place where you can get that. For those who'd like to see what the two of us would create together--Spawn was that.
    Oh totally and I accept those minuses 100%, I am actually really happy you guys did do it, it's been a beautiful book, having Kirby-esque monsters VS Spawn was a real treat. I guess in MY opinion the potential was there for something even more awesome!
    And once your run is done I'll be going back to it and read it in one shot.

Seeing Ant finally has been a real treat too, and having her recruit heroes has the potential to be so cool, so I can't wait to see where it allgoes!

Keep up the great work!