Page 56 of 124 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Hi all,

I think I want to give Spawn a try -- the series and characters are very compelling. It seems like there are a few different runs of early spawn collections. Origins looks like a consistent entry point -- what do Spawn fans on here think? Is the very beginning a good place to start?

Fantastic Member

So the Dark Horror story arc by the new team of Darragh Savage and Jason Alexander is over and overall I think it is a bit of a meh arc in the end.

Don't get me wrong, it did start off promising, but given that the arc was supposed to be about Cyan, develop her new powers and this entity Misery more, and set up a series about her coming out of the arc you know just about the same if not less information than before. The writing and story start off strong, Al is trying to protect Cyan while Cyan has this on-going mystery about this ghost that follows her. The villains, while having interesting powers, not only don't really pose a threat to Spawn/Cyan, but don't really get much development other than they kidnap people to extract their essence so its feed to a demon to then give would be gang members a chance to join and either a) may get powers or b) die to continue to control the territory. The writing stopped being vague or overwritten like Todd normally does early on and the scenes with Spawn in action are done very well. Another positive are the interactions between Al/Cyan. These are characters that have been intertwined for so long that Cyan asks very poignant questions to Al that should make him think and change something about him, but ultimately don't which again shows just how one dimensional Al is, though shouldn't be, at this point.

But as the arc went on and it seems as Todd was getting equal credit to Darragh on plot/script, the writing did become more overwritten and vague. Things were happening off screen and told of their importance, but since we never saw it we can't connect to it. This was especially the case with the end of the arc that "Al & Cyan knew something had changed forever" but we don't know what that is. Was it just Cyan aware of her powers? But she was already. I also didn't like in the last issue to get to the final fight they went back to Cyan being a drug user just so she gets her powers unleashed which I wish was forgotten about as that has to be one of the worst story decisions in the series. The art also did become a bit muddy and too sketchy in the later issues of the arc. Also, only in just the last issue of the arc did it talk about Al getting used to his new full powers when it should have been a thing throughout the whole arc too.

So their definitely was a lot of potential in the arc that while I'm not going to say it was Todd's increased involvement that is at fault, I will say that I did notice a notable decline in how the arc was going as Todd was getting more credit for it. Its a shame also that the letter pages are gone at a time you would think their would be so much to talk about with the series - the new team, the Cyan book which comes out who knows when, the movie, the road to 300/301 a year and a half away to get there, and the BBC Sam & Twitch show but we get nothing. It also doesn't help that the series now goes back to Todd writing full time and the next few issues not only sound like filler, but things we've heard before - reinventing the Clown and about Spawn's new powers.

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

The art was enough to keep me hooked, and while the story was a bit messy at times (for instance the final villain was introduced somewhat out of nowhere, unless I missed something), I like how this arc was centered around Cyan rather than Al. Honestly I wish that instead of giving her a separate title, they would just allow her to take the lead role for a couple of Spawn issues.

Fantastic Member

Yeah I agree with preferring to have Cyan taking the lead role for a while more instead of spinning off to her own book. It just seems like a no brainer since they recently tied Cyan/Al more together both with this arc and before it so why not keep that going as their is a lot of potential there. Also the fact we haven't heard anything about the Cyan book at all (remember when Haunt was supposed to relaunch late in the Downing saga or Ant was supposed to relaunch after her interaction with Spawn & Savage Dragon and neither has happened) makes me worry if they'll drop her entirely and focus on Al again which Todd is notorious for dropping story points like a bad habit. Guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

art by Leo Matos
    That. Looks. Awesome. It's like 1996 all over again. In a good way.

Fantastic Member

283 is out done by Todd/Syzmon and man did this issue suck. Picking up after the events of the last arc, Al/Cyan return to the states and part ways. Al visits Cog who are concerned with Cyan and the forces out to get her which Al believes hunting them letting them know he's back (they know that already you dolt) first before they get to Cyan is the plan. He then proceeds to kidnap a supernatural rapper, they talk, they reappear, Al takes a cop and says something issue ends.

Yeah this wasn't good at all. First and biggest issue is Al's lackadaisical attitude with Cyan. How great would it be to see Al and Cog train her especially given how intertwined Al/Cyan have been? Develop her power set and it'll serve well to then later launch the Misery book. Then you have Al's one-dimensional plan as always of hunting the supernatural which is what he was doing before and so far its not anything interesting. So yeah we're in bad Spawn territory yet again with an easily skippable issue.

As for the recent announcements, Medieval Spawn/Witchblade I'm excited for just for the nostalgia of that and hopefully its a bit of a modernized crossover mini series. I can't believe Spawn Kills Everyone is now getting a mini series given that the one shot is one of the worst things in the series history in my opinion. The Misery book being an ongoing is a mistake and again Cyan/Misery really hasn't been setup at all to have a series to herself right now and again goes back to my thoughts on the current ish. A new Sam & Twitch mini series I'm always looking forward to so excited about that.

Yeah, im staying away from Spawn as long as Todd is writing tbh. Its been spinning wheels for years under his watch.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

I had high hopes for the Dark Horror arc, but as usually, Todd has to **** everything up. He just can't let people do their thing.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    283 is out done by Todd/Syzmon and man did this issue suck. Picking up after the events of the last arc, Al/Cyan return to the states and part ways. Al visits Cog who are concerned with Cyan and the forces out to get her which Al believes hunting them letting them know he's back (they know that already you dolt) first before they get to Cyan is the plan. He then proceeds to kidnap a supernatural rapper, they talk, they reappear, Al takes a cop and says something issue ends.

Yeah this wasn't good at all. First and biggest issue is Al's lackadaisical attitude with Cyan. How great would it be to see Al and Cog train her especially given how intertwined Al/Cyan have been? Develop her power set and it'll serve well to then later launch the Misery book. Then you have Al's one-dimensional plan as always of hunting the supernatural which is what he was doing before and so far its not anything interesting. So yeah we're in bad Spawn territory yet again with an easily skippable issue.
    I've gotten back into Spawn over a year ago and this was the worst issue I've read since coming back. The whole thing with the demon/rapper didn't make sense since Al didn't really find out anything useful and he didn't kill the demon/rapper, so what was the point?

Fantastic Member

So 284 is out, this time with art done by Jason Shawn Alexander and it sucks yet again. Full recap - After the events of last ish, Al's chilling for a few hours, returns to the scene of when he reappeared with the supernatural rapper, willingly gets arrested as Spawn, is interrogated and beaten up by the authorities to the point of being "dead", and they prepare to autopsy him. That's it.

No idea why any of this is happening nor reason to care to. Oh and you thought you were going to get a rebooted Violator based on the solicits right? Nope and marks the second issue in a row where the solicit does not match the actual issue so who knows what we'll get next except more disappointment. The script really doesn't allow Alexander to do anything supernatural with the issue so its as if Todd just doesn't get how his art was used effectively in the Dark Horror arc. It needs to be Spawn in action and having supernatural things going on that is where Alexander's art shines and if its just talking heads the art is just kinda there.

BANNED

too bad to hear Spawn is not very good lately... I must admit that i won't get Spawn as long as it's not collected as hard cover. Too bad the new adventures are not collected in HC format... I would be all over them, if Image especially collected them as HCs which would match with the Spawn Origins HCs...
    Last edited by Gurz; 04-08-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Spectacular Member

What volume are the Origins up to and what do they collect?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    What volume are the Origins up to and what do they collect?
    Sorry for the late answer. There are 10 volumes of Spawn Origins OHCs. (There is a TPB line as well.) The 10 OHC volumes which i have, collects the original Spawn series from issue 1 to 125.

Fantastic Member

Been a while, but figured to do a year in review for the franchise as a number of things were announced/released that is worth talking about.

Of course the biggest being the Spawn movie with Jamie Foxx as Spawn and Jeremy Renner as Twitch. Todd says that he's not ruling out releasing the movie on streaming services like NetFlix and that financing may be secured soon. So we'll see, but hopefully the new year will bring us more news on this given how long Todd's been talking about doing another Spawn movie.

In February, Todd talked about 4 upcoming series - Medieval Spawn & Witchblade mini series, Spawn Kills Everyone 2 mini series, Misery ongoing, and a new Sam & Twitch mini series. The first of these projects was released this year, Medieval Spawn & Witchblade, and for a series that boasted that every issue was 32 pages, this was a dull, boring, and generic read. The art really wasn't suitable for the book, especially at the attempts at humor, and it takes way too long for Spawn & Witchblade to meet up that by the time they do we are at the final issue which leads to the generic heroes fighting one another then they team up to fight the big bad. The series focused a lot of time on another character that wasn't Spawn/Witchblade which I thought maybe it'll pay off as something of a nod to fans, but it doesn't.

This month saw the release of the second project, Spawn Kills Everyone 2, as another 4 issue mini series and I was not a fan at all of the one shot and I wasn't a fan of this. For a mini series where the title character is said to kill everyone, he doesn't kill anyone in the first issue and you have to wait until the second. The first issue is primarily about these Spawn babies that chibi-Spawn poops out and the issue constantly reminding you of the upcoming Spawn movie whether it be chibi-Spawn himself or the newscasters. I'm not sure who this is for and the only thing I can say nice about it is that the art is pretty good, but wish it was in a far better book. I'm honestly just getting this for the Spawn completionist in me.

Finally the main series itself which saw 11 issues come out. January saw the end of the Dark Horror arc which ended on a bit of a down note for me. The rest of the year has been about Spawn initiating a plan to doing several public acts forcing his enemies to act recklessly to his advantage - from kidnapping a supernatural rapper, to being arrested in public, to escaping from a prison and then going back to it, and to having a face to face with a demon Donald Trump on public television. All the while Spawn resurrected Cy-Gor, Curse, OvertKill, and The Freak to work with him given that now he apparently has the power to bring things back to life with a touch that instantly makes the being loyal to him and with another touch the being dies. This month's issue sees Al confronting Bludd for the first time to know more about Jim Downing and the issue ends with Al killing Downing, whose been in a coma since the end of his arc, and possibly absorbing him. While this all sounds potentially good, especially the return of notable rogues, the issues move way too slowly and its still a mystery as to what this is all for. See by the half way point this year, Al says he wants to find the person responsible for his wife's death, but this latest issue seems to suggest Al maybe trying to conquer the universe all to get at his wife's killer. Their is a bit too on the very first Spawn which seems unnecessary and you have Bludd and other entities hating Al for closing the dead zones from the end of the Satan Saga Wars which when talking about that feels like we're just filling in the middle ground of something we should have been focusing since Al's return. By having done Satan Saga Wars first and now filling in the pieces as to who killed Wanda in the first place, its tough to anchor the story around that. 2019 should see the series reaching 300 issues and right now this is the story that we have. Hopefully their is a sliver of good to come out of this, but not holding my breath.

Gah. Todd really needs to put some new blood on the book and just let em do whatever.