Page 59 of 126 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

I'm just glad he is kind of doing a level set going into #300; kind of dusting off the grand arc of the story and leading it into the future. I think with all the twists and turns in what happened with multiple writers there is bound to be some retcon and details lost in the mix but I think it's healthier for the title as a whole to ignore anything too contrarian. The art continues to be stellar.

The one thing I miss though, which I touched on before, was the struggle of Spawn in the beginning. I like to see the odds more stacked against him; he seems very powerful right now. I would love to see him brought down to a very low place again and fight his way back out tooth and nail. Right now his plan seems to be going almost too flawlessly.
    Last edited by KROENEN; 05-01-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Incredible Member

296 had me scratching my head. The Spawn Ressurectuon/Satan Saga Wars retconned the history of Spawn being able to father children. That’s how he got his soul/spirit back to come back fully Human after Satan was killed, by connecting with that fully informed spirit that was supposed to be his son that Wanda miscarried. Yet in issue 296, his inability to father children was brought back.

I appreciate an issue such as this, but it’s retconning a retcon from a retcon from the Armageddon arch back to the original.

Spawn history, as much as I love this franchise, gives me a headache.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Picked up the new issue, the History of Spawn Part 1. Mainly for the art and wanting to reach the milestone. Love or hate, this is pretty monumental. And I was a huge Spawn fan in the past. But I was more so feeling burnt reading this and seeing the blatant retcon of certain developments that led to Al being Spawn that was established in 150-164. Such amazing development and stories just completely ignored. It sucks because we know Todd doesn't care for that run, but that was legit one of the better written eras of the series' whole run.

I wonder if he'll continue to ignore it with these trade collections.
    The Armageddon Arch doesn’t have to be completely ignored. That Satan that was used can be renamed in Trades to be another demonic character. The “God” that was used can be the Demurge, who in Christian mythology was considered to be an evil/dark Creator God. Spawn mythology had established that MoM (man of miracles) is the parent/father/mother of many deities. It can be retconned in trades that those two were other characters.

As for the Twins, Todd could get the artist to return, or get another artist to create several more pages where the Twin children are restored with their own souls untainted by that God and Satan that was used. The Armageddon arch and following stories that led up to Jim Downings appearance are to good to simply ignore when a little rewording and editing can make them fit so much better into the current stuff.

Didnt Al remake reality after Armageddon anyway? A bunch od stuff could have changed after that.

I imagine Man of Miracles would have to be reworked after the whole Miracleman rights fiasco has been resolved. Todd may not be able to reprint those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Picked up the new issue, the History of Spawn Part 1. Mainly for the art and wanting to reach the milestone. Love or hate, this is pretty monumental. And I was a huge Spawn fan in the past. But I was more so feeling burnt reading this and seeing the blatant retcon of certain developments that led to Al being Spawn that was established in 150-164. Such amazing development and stories just completely ignored. It sucks because we know Todd doesn't care for that run, but that was legit one of the better written eras of the series' whole run.

I wonder if he'll continue to ignore it with these trade collections.

Yep, I actually really liked #296 - strong on what Spawn is strong on and even though it was a 'recap' it was really cool and enjoyable. Onwards to #300!

Amazing Member

Does anyone know whether the Spawn Origins HC are still being produced? I was thinking about jumping into this line, but didn't want to unless it was still running.

Also, how are the Bendis spin-off series Hellspawn and Sam & Twitch?

Quote Originally Posted by PossumGrease View Post
    Does anyone know whether the Spawn Origins HC are still being produced? I was thinking about jumping into this line, but didn't want to unless it was still running.

Also, how are the Bendis spin-off series Hellspawn and Sam & Twitch?
    Nah, Vol. 10 was the last to come out back in 2016. No more have been solicited.

I'd rec both Hellspawn and Sam & Twitch.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Now that this series is coming up on issue #300, a milestone for most series let alone an Independent one, how many series have that mark?
    Cerebus and what else?

Also, I'd like Todd/Image to pick back up and collect issues 101-200 in the Spawn Origins Deluxe HC. Give us a volume 5-8.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Is there movie still happening haven’t heard anything about it

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Is there movie still happening haven’t heard anything about it
    Time was it had been picked up by Blumhouse and has Jaime Foxx and Jeremy Renner attached to star.

But Todd was recently tweeting about looking for a studio, so maybe that deal fell through?

Latest news is Todd is directing it himself; pretty sure it's still happening.

Incredible Member

Can someone shed some light on what was up with #297 page count? The field guide at the end lists 20 story pages but there are actually only 14.

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Can someone shed some light on what was up with #297 page count? The field guide at the end lists 20 story pages but there are actually only 14.
    I own the digital version, so it's hard for me to judge, but isn't a large chunk of those 14 pages double page spreads, which adds a lot to the 14 number, resulting in perhaps 20?

I counted 20...

BANNED

My take on Spawn...
    S28C-118112709540.jpg