Page 61 of 126 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Mighty Member

Isn't the 10th issue a reprint of the ally?
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-30-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Fantastic Member

My mistake as it is actually 9 action figure comics and not 10. Each of which tell their own unique short story based on the action figure.

Fantastic Member

Figured to drum up discussion here into next week's issue 300, I figured I'd post a random issue from the Spawn series (main series only) every day, or at least try to, to think about the old days and how far the series has come.

Issue 7 - Payback Part 2 - this two parter story sees the introduction of Mafia boss Tony Twist and the cyborg Overt-Kill. After losing the first fight against Overt-Kill, Spawn raids a military installation for weapons to take down the cyborg. As he is doing this, he continues to be conscientious of the power he is using as using it all will lead to a second death (remember when this was in play!) as he heals himself from the previous fight and uses teleportation to escape the facility before he faces some soldiers. He ends up back in the alleys and here we meet Bobby for the first time. Elsewhere, Twist begins to make machinations towards having Overt-Kill on his side, Spawn has a vision into who killed him, and Wanda continues to have nightmares about Al dying and looks into the SPCA about the guy that came to her door and feeling he may have a connection to Al or the CIA. Al readies himself for battle against Overt-Kill again, completely destroys him and triggers an explosion destroying the evidence and ending the issue.

I thought this was a good two parter. We are slowly working the mystery of who killed Spawn, Wanda and Terry are slowly but surely getting wrapped into Spawn's life, and the interaction between Spawn and Bobby was nice as it made Spawn be more of a superhero for the homeless and willing to fight for something now that he has been placed back on Earth. Bobby, as a supporting character over time, I grew to like as he was able to connect with Al on a human level and in some ways be one of his anchors in the alleys, but you had the feeling he would be an innocent bystander in Al's fight at some point. Al being conscientious of his power usage and relying on his military training to takedown Overt-Kill was a good touch, but kinda funny now when you think about how much of a non-factor the power gauge ended up being. Overt-Kill's intro I thought was fine as the typical brute force character kinda like the Juggernaut though I think he ranks in the lower tier of Spawn's rogues. Simple and straight forward issue that is slowly connecting several characters and increasing Al's web.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Figured to drum up discussion here into next week's issue 300, I figured I'd post a random issue from the Spawn series (main series only) every day, or at least try to, to think about the old days and how far the series has come.

Issue 7 - Payback Part 2 - this two parter story sees the introduction of Mafia boss Tony Twist and the cyborg Overt-Kill. After losing the first fight against Overt-Kill, Spawn raids a military installation for weapons to take down the cyborg. As he is doing this, he continues to be conscientious of the power he is using as using it all will lead to a second death (remember when this was in play!) as he heals himself from the previous fight and uses teleportation to escape the facility before he faces some soldiers. He ends up back in the alleys and here we meet Bobby for the first time. Elsewhere, Twist begins to make machinations towards having Overt-Kill on his side, Spawn has a vision into who killed him, and Wanda continues to have nightmares about Al dying and looks into the SPCA about the guy that came to her door and feeling he may have a connection to Al or the CIA. Al readies himself for battle against Overt-Kill again, completely destroys him and triggers an explosion destroying the evidence and ending the issue.

I thought this was a good two parter. We are slowly working the mystery of who killed Spawn, Wanda and Terry are slowly but surely getting wrapped into Spawn's life, and the interaction between Spawn and Bobby was nice as it made Spawn be more of a superhero for the homeless and willing to fight for something now that he has been placed back on Earth. Bobby, as a supporting character over time, I grew to like as he was able to connect with Al on a human level and in some ways be one of his anchors in the alleys, but you had the feeling he would be an innocent bystander in Al's fight at some point. Al being conscientious of his power usage and relying on his military training to takedown Overt-Kill was a good touch, but kinda funny now when you think about how much of a non-factor the power gauge ended up being. Overt-Kill's intro I thought was fine as the typical brute force character kinda like the Juggernaut though I think he ranks in the lower tier of Spawn's rogues. Simple and straight forward issue that is slowly connecting several characters and increasing Al's web.
    Yeah speaking of Spawn's rogues I am surprised they don't get much love compared to other comic book rogues gallery. Like I think the problem with independent publishers is that they sometimes kill off the villains at the end of the arc Marvel and Dc gives their villains with their own spin-offs at least. VIolator and Cy-gor got their own mini-series.

I think most people who know of spawn would at least know a few of his villains like Violator,Malebolgia,and Jason Wynn among others.

Fantastic Member

I think that is an interesting point and if anything it makes me think about how Spawn kind of has this gulf between the demonic/heavenly characters and the human villains in terms of people knowing who they are. The sole exception of the human villains is Jason Wynn, maybe even Billy Kincaid, who everyone knows, but everyone knows Violator/Clown, Angela, Tiffany, Redeemer, and Malebolgia. I think the issue with the human villains in Spawn is that they don't leave much of an impression and its not like we have multiple arcs for the villains to get to know them beyond their surface level intro and see if more is under the hood so in the end they come off as one note. Take Overt-Kill for example. After this two part intro, he comes back again in issues 21 - 24, somewhat similar role as his intro, and we don't see him again until 105 and then he's put on ice until recently being a part of Al's army. Maybe he could have evolved from the Juggernaut type character to something like Deathstroke that challenges Al in a military background way, has different suits to match any situation to take advantage of him being a cyborg, and becomes his own man though still a hired gun.

But maybe this is by design that it is this way and Todd wanted rogues, but not involve the human rogues much and focusing more on Al's journey and Heaven/Hell.

Mighty Member

I think that is an interesting point and if anything it makes me think about how Spawn kind of has this gulf between the demonic/heavenly characters and the human villains in terms of people knowing who they are. The sole exception of the human villains is Jason Wynn, maybe even Billy Kincaid, who everyone knows, but everyone knows Violator/Clown, Angela, Tiffany, Redeemer, and Malebolgia. I think the issue with the human villains in Spawn is that they don't leave much of an impression and its not like we have multiple arcs for the villains to get to know them beyond their surface level intro and see if more is under the hood so in the end they come off as one note. Take Overt-Kill for example. After this two part intro, he comes back again in issues 21 - 24, somewhat similar role as his intro, and we don't see him again until 105 and then he's put on ice until recently being a part of Al's army. Maybe he could have evolved from the Juggernaut type character to something like Deathstroke that challenges Al in a military background way, has different suits to match any situation to take advantage of him being a cyborg, and becomes his own man though still a hired gun.

But maybe this is by design that it is this way and Todd wanted rogues, but not involve the human rogues much and focusing more on Al's journey and Heaven/Hell.
    Probably and Speaking of Angela it is sad that gailmen sold her to marvel and I agree spawn rogues need more love. Yeah the more well know are the angels and demons from hell even other villains like Urizen,Mammon,and Satan don't get much love some of Spawn's other supporting cast like Nyx,Andy Frank, and the MOther of Exsitence aren't as well known compared to the other supporting cast like Sam and Twitch,Cyan,Terry,and Wanda.

With Redeemer he was the heaven equivalent of the HellSpawn the anti-spawn if you will he had three hosts Jason Wynn,Phil Timper,and Eddie Frank. The First two redeemers lasted only two or three issue while Eddie Frank was the longest to kept the mantle of the Redeemer he also had a personal connection to Al when he tried to help him but getting things worse and Eddie grows up to be the third and current Redeemer.
    With Malebolgia and Violator they created the Hellspawns in the first place after the first and they had more impact and Jason Wynn was the one who had Al killed after making a deal with Malebolgia for a piece of hell. TIffany was Angela's replacement and the others like Freak,Cy-gor,Jessica Priest,and Curse were sidelined. Hope in the future they would be more prominent.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-27-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Fantastic Member

Issue 11 - Home - Spawn returns to Earth after his adventure with Cerebus in the previous issue and we are introduced to Bootsy for the first time. He, Al and Bobby have a friendly conversation when a turf war interrupts that between the Creep gang and the Nerd gang. Spawn figures out that the alleys are in the middle of this war so he decides to pit the two groups against each other leaving Byron, the big muscle for the Nerd gang, as the last man standing. Al defeats him by going inside of him and bursting out of him paying homage to the first Alien movie. With dead bodies all over the place, Al tells Bobby that they'll just have the cops clean up the mess, they move back in, and life goes on ending the issue.

This is pretty much a played for laughs issue. The two gangs are never meant to be taken seriously, Spawn's defeat of Byron is still pretty cool and referenced in the Downing era, but its the disappearance of Bootsy throughout the issue (when Al gets attacked leaving a hole in his chest or when Bobby is about to be taken out by a Creep, or the end of the issue) that raises some eyebrows about him. Funny we wouldn't know who Bootsy really is until later on, but I do wonder if the pieces of that began here with his quiet disappearances. Looking back, Spawn doesn't really have a lot of issues like these in terms of tone. Sure the 2 issue Houdini story does have some fun moments in them that you forget about the mysteries and Heaven/Hell, but I don't think the series as a whole has a lot of issues like this one which is interesting.
    Last edited by HellsRider; 08-27-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Fantastic Member

Issue 28 - Protector - after defeating the newest rogue in the previous issue, The Curse, Spawn crucifies him to a wall as a message to anyone going into the alleys to stay away. Curse casts away his allegiance to Heaven to follow his own path that starts by defeating Spawn. Meanwhile, Wanda is coming into the city searching for Spawn to find out who he is and why he saved Terry from the actions that happened in the last arc - The Hunt. Elsewhere, Sam & Twitch go over the file Spawn gave Sam to blackmail Police Chief Banks to stay out of the alleys, but Sam has other plans with the document to use for his advantage until he discovers a surprising detail to be revealed later. Terry is at home with Cyan, healing from the wounds he sustained during The Hunt arc and contemplating what happened when he receives a call from a friend and finds out Wanda lied to Terry about seeing the friend. We go back to Wanda who continues to search for Spawn, asking questions until she bribes a homeless man and she finds Spawn's lair with Curse on the wall asking for help. She runs away and bumps into some thugs looking to take advantage of her when Spawn appears, beats them down, and afterwards recognizes the woman as Wanda. Wanda asks Spawn why he saved Terry and thanks him for saving him for her sake and Cyan's. Spawn urges that he is here to help and when he tries to wipe some mud from her cheek she pushes him away in fear that he would strike her. Before she leaves, she gives Spawn a photograph of her, Terry, and Cyan saying that Spawn allowed them to remain a family and runs away. The issue ends as Spawn sits on his throne looking at the photo for three hours and putting it down after another two hours go by.

So we have our first actual Spawn and Wanda meeting since Al came back and I thought it was handled well. The issue juggles several items - the fallout with the Curse as well as the continuing fallout of The Hunt arc - but this specific moment of when they meet and how they meet was well done. Everything happens fast, but when you take in how safe Wanda is as a person along with the situation she is put in here, its clear she is out of her depth and wants to leave as soon as possible. Her actions with Al are great as you can tell Spawn's heart is breaking realizing he now brings fear to Wanda when he's only trying to help. Her comment of seeing Spawn beating down the thugs and enjoying it while also her instinctual reflex in pushing Spawn away in fear of him striking her are pretty notable and looking back one wonders if on a subconscious level she knows its Al, but just doesn't acknowledge it until later on and for long time fans, knowing the relationship between the two, its interesting to pick up on those little moments and what they mean later on.

The Curse's intro I thought was fine. Here we have a believer of a higher power and going to the extremes in that belief, hacking away at himself and reconstructing himself with cybernetics. He would evolve later in the series and, to be honest, I'm surprised he never became a Redeemer or tempted by the forces of Hell given his extremist religious background. I think he'd be a perfect candidate and appropriate evolution of his character. He would later appear in issues 40 - 41, then is benched until the Downing era when he is taken out by Haunt, and now is back as a part of Al's army like Overt-Kill.

In Spawn news, Keith David, the voice of Spawn from the HBO show, will be back voicing the character for MK11 which is awesome - https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...tal-kombat-11/

Mighty Member

I just wanted to say Spawn has four arch-enemies Violator,Malebolgia,Jason Wynn,and Redeemer.

Fantastic Member

Issue 35 - Set Up - after the events of the Bloodfeud miniseries, Twitch is welcomed back to the force and the first order of business is continuing to work with Sam on finding the link between Police Chief Banks and Billy Kincaid. Elsewhere, Cog and Spawn have a discussion about how the costume is transforming sooner than expected and its unknown what the result of that will be. Spawn, then, has a vision of the man that ordered Chapel to kill him - Jason Wynn. Meanwhile, Terry continues to get closer to Wynn and vice versa as Wynn makes Terry head of the CIA's security systems. Wynn also has a conversation with Banks about the Kincaid situation and how Wynn believes everything ties back to Spawn and orders Banks to take care of it. Wanda's charity is given a huge anonymous donation while Granny Blake's husband's pension issues have been resolved both as a result of Wynn unbeknownst to them. Banks then heads into the alleys with some like-minded officers to find Spawn and after Spawn eliminates the cops is surprised that Banks is even there assuming Sam had given the file to Banks as a means to blackmail him to stay out of the alleys which San didn't. At that moment, Sam & Twitch appear and when Spawn asks why Sam never gave the file to Banks, he mentions that it had too many interesting threads like Kincaid. Spawn threatens Banks who reveals that it all leads back to Wynn and Spawn leaves. He then appears at Wynn's office to kill him when Terry appears with security personnel taking aim at Spawn ending the issue.

So we are beginning to connect the dots that first began back in The Hunt arc, following up on the Chapel business, and slowly moving forward on the recent transformation of Al's costume after its fight with Redeemer II. Its a little too convenient that everything fits as neatly as it does, I think, especially the part about Spawn not knowing Kincaid's connection to Banks when Sam discovered the thread in the very file Spawn gave him. Did Spawn just not bother to look at what he put together? I also found it a bit repetitious mentioning Wynn's involvement twice regarding Wanda's anonymous donation to the charity. Looking back, the fact that at this juncture we are building up to Spawn vs. Jason Wynn its hilarious that Jason is kept around as long as he was and in the end Al doesn't even get kill him. Sure we later know why Jason wants Spawn, specifically, to kill him but I would think Al would have found a way to do it appropriate for Wynn. A decent issue that merges several storylines together and slowly moves a very important one.

Mighty Member

Issue 35 - Set Up - after the events of the Bloodfeud miniseries, Twitch is welcomed back to the force and the first order of business is continuing to work with Sam on finding the link between Police Chief Banks and Billy Kincaid. Elsewhere, Cog and Spawn have a discussion about how the costume is transforming sooner than expected and its unknown what the result of that will be. Spawn, then, has a vision of the man that ordered Chapel to kill him - Jason Wynn. Meanwhile, Terry continues to get closer to Wynn and vice versa as Wynn makes Terry head of the CIA's security systems. Wynn also has a conversation with Banks about the Kincaid situation and how Wynn believes everything ties back to Spawn and orders Banks to take care of it. Wanda's charity is given a huge anonymous donation while Granny Blake's husband's pension issues have been resolved both as a result of Wynn unbeknownst to them. Banks then heads into the alleys with some like-minded officers to find Spawn and after Spawn eliminates the cops is surprised that Banks is even there assuming Sam had given the file to Banks as a means to blackmail him to stay out of the alleys which San didn't. At that moment, Sam & Twitch appear and when Spawn asks why Sam never gave the file to Banks, he mentions that it had too many interesting threads like Kincaid. Spawn threatens Banks who reveals that it all leads back to Wynn and Spawn leaves. He then appears at Wynn's office to kill him when Terry appears with security personnel taking aim at Spawn ending the issue.

So we are beginning to connect the dots that first began back in The Hunt arc, following up on the Chapel business, and slowly moving forward on the recent transformation of Al's costume after its fight with Redeemer II. Its a little too convenient that everything fits as neatly as it does, I think, especially the part about Spawn not knowing Kincaid's connection to Banks when Sam discovered the thread in the very file Spawn gave him. Did Spawn just not bother to look at what he put together? I also found it a bit repetitious mentioning Wynn's involvement twice regarding Wanda's anonymous donation to the charity. Looking back, the fact that at this juncture we are building up to Spawn vs. Jason Wynn its hilarious that Jason is kept around as long as he was and in the end Al doesn't even get kill him. Sure we later know why Jason wants Spawn, specifically, to kill him but I would think Al would have found a way to do it appropriate for Wynn. A decent issue that merges several storylines together and slowly moves a very important one.
    Funny that Jim Downing would be the one who would kill him for good.

Mighty Member

Also Todd said he wants to expand the spawn universe with new characters so maybe we will get more religoins and myths? Also the three main villains were Malebolgia,Mammon,and Satan so who is gonna be the main villain of he series this time? I mean the todd's who who of spawn stated that Malebolgia would probaly return.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-30-2019 at 06:02 AM.

Fantastic Member

Issue 44 - Avenger - The issue begins at the gate of Heaven as an angel talks about Angela's recent transgressions from the Angela mini series and vows to make a name for herself by killing Spawn. Elsewhere, Spawn recuperates from him and the symbiote being ripped apart by The Curse in the previous issues. It is is here we found out about a new power - black energy transferral - the ability for the Spawn to jump start itself by taking in the evil of its environment. Meanwhile, Sam & Twitch, having been fired by Police Chief Banks and Banks killing himself, now figure that their only means of continuing to dig deeper into their situation is with Spawn. Spawn's energy transferral is interrupted by the angel who attacks him in his weakened state while Clown/Violator laugh about the whole situation miles away. The issue ends with the angel about to kill Spawn and vowing to kill Angela after.

This issue and the next marks the introduction of Tiffany. She's given this hotshot attitude and wanting to prove herself at any cost and in the end it is this arrogance that does cost her as we find out in the next issue. She ends up being a decent addition to Spawn's rogues, but again like many others, after this two parter she is never seen again even though we know she is still alive. Given how Angela's rights would later be up in the air, I'm surprised Todd never used Tiffany again. She could have been developed a lot more, but instead ends up being the flavor of the week. With this issue, it continues the symbiote story with the new ability and rapid changing of the suit itself which will come to ahead soon enough. A decent issue.

To the comment above, I really hope Malebolgia doesn't come back. The story has out grown him for a long time now and while his death is consistently referenced for no real reason other than to say it, at this point he would add nothing to the story. I do have an inkling as to who killed Wanda, even though the Spawn Resurrection one shot clearly shows it was Clown, but we'll see how 300 answers that mystery.

Mighty Member

Issue 44 - Avenger - The issue begins at the gate of Heaven as an angel talks about Angela's recent transgressions from the Angela mini series and vows to make a name for herself by killing Spawn. Elsewhere, Spawn recuperates from him and the symbiote being ripped apart by The Curse in the previous issues. It is is here we found out about a new power - black energy transferral - the ability for the Spawn to jump start itself by taking in the evil of its environment. Meanwhile, Sam & Twitch, having been fired by Police Chief Banks and Banks killing himself, now figure that their only means of continuing to dig deeper into their situation is with Spawn. Spawn's energy transferral is interrupted by the angel who attacks him in his weakened state while Clown/Violator laugh about the whole situation miles away. The issue ends with the angel about to kill Spawn and vowing to kill Angela after.

This issue and the next marks the introduction of Tiffany. She's given this hotshot attitude and wanting to prove herself at any cost and in the end it is this arrogance that does cost her as we find out in the next issue. She ends up being a decent addition to Spawn's rogues, but again like many others, after this two parter she is never seen again even though we know she is still alive. Given how Angela's rights would later be up in the air, I'm surprised Todd never used Tiffany again. She could have been developed a lot more, but instead ends up being the flavor of the week. With this issue, it continues the symbiote story with the new ability and rapid changing of the suit itself which will come to ahead soon enough. A decent issue.

To the comment above, I really hope Malebolgia doesn't come back. The story has out grown him for a long time now and while his death is consistently referenced for no real reason other than to say it, at this point he would add nothing to the story. I do have an inkling as to who killed Wanda, even though the Spawn Resurrection one shot clearly shows it was Clown, but we'll see how 300 answers that mystery.
    Well he already came back in the Jim Downing arc so it is too late for that I mean the who's who of Spawn implies Todd has plans for him anyway. Mammon is already sealed away in 184 and Satan was defeated in 162 I doubt Violator would take the reigns though and Cog is going neutral now it seems. God is now benevolent and Katie and Jake vessel of God and Satan are nowhere to be seen. Beside todd already brought back Billy Kincaid,Freak,Curse,Cy-gor,and OVertkill back to life a couple times even al came back since 2015 dude so this shouldn't really be an issue and yeah it is probably violator I mean he did show up in the previews. Also Todd is also bringing back Medival Spawn back to life anyway so at this point Malebolgia being brought back alongside Mammon and Satan wouldn't surprise me at this point. Hopefully Sam and Twitch make a return alongside Cyan and Terry. Also in a mk11 intro leaks for Spawn he had an intro dialogue with Cetrion stating that Malebolgia is Cetrtion and shinnok's cousin apparently.Besides Malebolgia pulled a lord Voldomort where scatted his power on earth so he is not dead.Heck Redeemer returns and it is still Eddie Frank and Violator also keeps coming back so by this point nothing surprises me anymore.

Anyway here are all six who's who of Spawn

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-30-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Mighty Member

https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/07...g-spawn-verse/

Todd wants to expand the Spawn-verse with more new characters and myths.Remember that Todd wants Spawn to outlive him and be just be as long like Batman and Superman.

Also for new allies I want there to be more Metehumans,magic users,alternative universe warriors,aliens,deities,and cosmic entities, while for the villains to have metahumans, the anti-christ,evil magic users,Evil Deities,Aliens, Warriors from other universes,and cosmic entities.Other races would include faries,dwarfs,Goblins,elves,giants,werewolves,wend igos,and many more races.

For the three new big bads after Malebolgia,Mammon,and Satan we have the anti-christ,an evil god,and the final boss level villain the anti-god basically evil counterpart of Mother of Existence I mean Marvel had One below All and dc had the Great evil beast why not spawn?

Also Wasn't Nyx spawn's second love after Wanda? With her dead Maybe Al can move on and find new love I mean he had Nyx who is still in love with him so I guess it's worth a shot.

Also for spin-offs like Sam and Twitch:True Decetives it would be prior to the events of 300 to see what they were doing and with the Misery series starting Cyan if Cyan shows up in 300 then the Misery series must be the set up for to explain why she disappeared. Spawn would also explore the multivese as well besides dealing with heaven and hell.

so that is all the wants for the Spawn-verse that I have said.

with so much material Spawn adaptions such tv shows and movies can work with with some few changes and maybe even work for literature books and video games too. I wonder if the Spawn reboot comic franchise would be different from the original version but I ope Spawn becomes a multimedia franchise someday. I wonder if todd will make Spawn become a public domain series.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 08-31-2019 at 11:29 AM.